Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I'm getting something of a MGS V vibe from the structure of this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

It’s a good question. I’d guess the unrelated cities will just be...peaceful? If you try traveling all the way there. I know an earlier trailer said bandit armies would randomly pop up.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ChrisBTY posted:

I'm getting something of a MGS V vibe from the structure of this game.

I hope not because that had the most boring and pointless open world of any open world game

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Well that might be the problem. You might just have a big world with not much to do in it unless you're on a mission, which cordons you off into a tiny part of the map anyway.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I would like an ever churning world where I can betray my lords constantly, but I dont think koei has that ability.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Billzasilver posted:

I would like an ever churning world where I can betray my lords constantly, but I dont think koei has that ability.

Isn't that just Empires?

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Billzasilver posted:

If they added this back in Empires it would be perfect.

It used to be in DW6 Empires, you could change sides at the drop of a hat and even straight out in the middle of battle.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Okay so in DW5, Guan Ping and Xingcai were new to me.

And now in DW8, apparently half of Shu’s lineup are Guan’s and Zhang’s kids.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

And they're almost all poo poo.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Policenaut posted:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Okay so in DW5, Guan Ping and Xingcai were new to me.

And now in DW8, apparently half of Shu’s lineup are Guan’s and Zhang’s kids.

Direct result of them extending into Jin era. Most of the big names are gone, so it's time for the new generation to step up, as far as that goes. Not that they last especially long. Jiang Wei wastes Shu's strength and gets them hammered. Wu collapses in on itself.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

To be honest, I mostly care about combat in DW9 being good.

If the open-world is empty then whatever, that can easily be remedied by DW9:Empires (which is my favorite way to play DW anyways), but if the combat is still trash then it won't be fixed any time soon.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Bloodly posted:

Direct result of them extending into Jin era. Most of the big names are gone, so it's time for the new generation to step up, as far as that goes. Not that they last especially long. Jiang Wei wastes Shu's strength and gets them hammered. Wu collapses in on itself.

I love that after so many games of blindly following the novel in making Shu the heros, the games' narratives are suddenly swinging hard into "well, maybe they weren't that great and wound up extending the conflict through sheer bloody minded stubbornness...?"

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 17, 2018

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Bloodly posted:

That makes sense.

Policenaut posted:

Yeah despite playing all of Wei, Wu, Jin and Lu Bu when I played this game last a few years back, I have absolutely zero memory of any of these characters. Not even a flash of recognition. Guan Ping and Xingcai I only remember because of the old games.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
guan yinping is better than her dad

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
My experience with the musou is Hyrule Warriors (finished story and half of adventure map), Fire Emblem Warriors (finished story on hard and most history maps), and currently One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 (in the middle of story mode now). And I guess Dragon Quest Heroes 1 and 2 but those don't count.

What I enjoy about musou is the plate spinning/crisis management aspect of it where things are going off all over the map and you gotta try to keep everything under control and since both Hyrule and Fire Emblem both have missions like this and since I heard Pirate Warriors 3 is one of the best musou I thought it would be simliar but so far every mission is just one thing at a time. Sometimes I even finish that thing so fast I have to wait around for something else to happen, even on hard. Is this normal for the warriors franchise and Hyrule/Fire Emblem are just outliers? With Dynasty Warriors 9 going open world I'm not sure if it will have what I like in it. All the videos I've seen have been a dude running around a big empty field and then theres a group of 80 dudes just chilling.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
“I fight for the peasants and hope” cries Liu Bei, tears streaming down his face. He proceeds to do a backflip and summon lightning, roasting another 50 terrified, ill-equipped farmers.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

PureRok posted:

And we're back to each character having their own story, like the earlier games. So that's neat. No more being forced to play a specific officer (even if that was neat, too.). DW7 will probably still be the best game to play for the actual story, then.

Do we know if each character's story will somewhat correspond to their RotTK story? Or will they all have broadly the same story with some character specific touches?

Overbite posted:

My experience with the musou is Hyrule Warriors (finished story and half of adventure map), Fire Emblem Warriors (finished story on hard and most history maps), and currently One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 (in the middle of story mode now). And I guess Dragon Quest Heroes 1 and 2 but those don't count.

What I enjoy about musou is the plate spinning/crisis management aspect of it where things are going off all over the map and you gotta try to keep everything under control and since both Hyrule and Fire Emblem both have missions like this and since I heard Pirate Warriors 3 is one of the best musou I thought it would be simliar but so far every mission is just one thing at a time. Sometimes I even finish that thing so fast I have to wait around for something else to happen, even on hard. Is this normal for the warriors franchise and Hyrule/Fire Emblem are just outliers? With Dynasty Warriors 9 going open world I'm not sure if it will have what I like in it. All the videos I've seen have been a dude running around a big empty field and then theres a group of 80 dudes just chilling.

Pirate Warriors 3 has some of the best characters/movesets/combat of the series, which is of course a huge part of the games. I'd say it's middling to eh in most other respects.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 17, 2018

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

Do we know if each character's story will somewhat correspond to their RotTK story? Or will they all have broadly the same story with some character specific touches?

There haven't been any details on it, but my guess is that you'll be playing a lot of the same story missions with different characters but they'll have different side missions and objectives.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

The Moon Monster posted:

What does your heart tell you?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I imagine it'll be 3 faction-specific campaigns, more or less, with character switching within each campaign. DW games have never had character-specific campaigns.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I imagine it'll be 3 faction-specific campaigns, more or less, with character switching within each campaign. DW games have never had character-specific campaigns.

DW5 had them.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Keeshhound posted:

DW5 had them.

Those were short though, like 5 battles each.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Those were short though, like 5 battles each.

I would prefer this approach, although it's probably not what we're getting.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

—Among the many trees along the road and so on are noticeably high “Watchtowers.” Since you can use them to check out your surroundings, be sure to climb up when you find one.

—By checking out your surroundings from a Watchtower, you can acquire a vast range of information about the surrounding area that will prove useful in missions, as well as exploration.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Real Cool Catfish posted:

“I fight for the peasants and hope” cries Liu Bei, tears streaming down his face. He proceeds to do a backflip and summon lightning, roasting another 50 terrified, ill-equipped farmers.

"I seek to create a land of benevolence" shouts Liu Bei, as he bounds over the table and slam dunks his infant son into the ground, bouncing him into a air-juggle combo.

Davincie posted:

—Among the many trees along the road and so on are noticeably high “Watchtowers.” Since you can use them to check out your surroundings, be sure to climb up when you find one.

—By checking out your surroundings from a Watchtower, you can acquire a vast range of information about the surrounding area that will prove useful in missions, as well as exploration.

Is there some sort of law that if you make an open-world game, you need to dot the map with towers to gain info on the map? I was surprised to see it in Breath of the Wild. I would have thought that Ubisoft buried that concept into the ground.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

Is there some sort of law that if you make an open-world game, you need to dot the map with towers to gain info on the map? I was surprised to see it in Breath of the Wild. I would have thought that Ubisoft buried that concept into the ground.

Can you come up with a radically different way of revealing the map to the player that would make sense in-game?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Jack Trades posted:

Can you come up with a radically different way of revealing the map to the player that would make sense in-game?

Have it already revealed, since by this point China had been pretty thoroughly mapped?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Uh...I don't know. Maybe if you made some sort of hill at the center of each area, and you could send a bird up and it would come back and the map would be filled in...somehow...

I'm not saying I can think of anything better, or that it's necessarily bad. It's just become a trope in open-world games.

Maleketh posted:

Have it already revealed, since by this point China had been pretty thoroughly mapped?
That works too, though it sounds like maybe it would just give info on enemies or animals present in the area, as it looks like the whole map is already revealed, based on some of the trailers.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jan 18, 2018

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

have the map already be revealed, but get maps from defeating enemies with more details

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

You don't really want to dump all the open-world busywork icons onto the player at once, which is why developers usually make you reveal them bit by bit with towers, even if the world map itself is actually revealed from the start.

Davincie posted:

have the map already be revealed, but get maps from defeating enemies with more details

That would definitely be a more fun solution though.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Even Ubisoft has moved away from the towers.

Watch Dogs 2 lacks them entirely and in AC Origins they exist mostly as fast travel points.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
There are people in this thread who actually pronounce Cao Pi correctly.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Cow Cow

Cow Pee

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Have they said anything about what carries over between games/rounds?

Or are you going to start from 0 on each new run, grinding up 5000 deer pelts each time?

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
I have no knowledge of it, but I think it would make sense if the collectable and buildable things like fish, deer, and your hideout/home/building would carry over from character to character rather than having to start from scratch every time. Sort of like the city and resources in Ambition Mode in DW8.

Unless you don't need that many resources in total for any given character, you'd almost have to have some carryover.

That said, I plan to Platinum this game regardless. :colbert:

I am currently working through DW6 to 100% complete that one because it's the only main series game since I discovered this series with DW3 that I haven't fully completed yet. Thus is my dedication.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Uncle Ulty posted:

That said, I plan to Platinum this game regardless. :colbert:

90 unique open-world campaigns.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Mokinokaro posted:

Even Ubisoft has moved away from the towers.

Watch Dogs 2 lacks them entirely and in AC Origins they exist mostly as fast travel points.

Ghost Recon: Wildlands, another Ubisoft game, implemented several different methods to get relatively similar information. Sometimes you could just talk to a local and find out where the bad guy hideouts are, or do a time trial to travel from one point to a radio tower to hack it (not climb it) to learn where resource nodes are, or sneak in and interrogate a general to learn where the weapon/accessory unlocks for the region are. I thought it was a really fun way to go about doing it and am kind of disappointed whenever I just see plain ol' towers in games like this or Breath of the Wild.

Even Ubisoft makes fun of towers now.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.

Jack Trades posted:

90 unique open-world campaigns.

I have 100% completion ratings in DW3, DW4, DW5, (I'll have DW6 done in a few weeks), DW7, DW8, SW1, SW2, WO1, WO2, WO3, and Sengoku Basara 3.

DW9 doesn't scare me.

edit: Actually, on that note - since I've finished Warriors Orochi 3, but not WO3 Ultimate, how different are those two games? If I've Platinumed WO3 already, is there enough new content to make getting Ultimate worthwhile? Or is it meant for people who haven't played 3 at all yet?

Uncle Ulty fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Uncle Ulty posted:

I have 100% completion ratings in DW3, DW4, DW5, (I'll have DW6 done in a few weeks), DW7, DW8, SW1, SW2, WO1, WO2, WO3, and Sengoku Basara 3.

DW9 doesn't scare me.

edit: Actually, on that note - since I've finished Warriors Orochi 3, but not WO3 Ultimate, how different are those two games? If I've Platinumed WO3 already, is there enough new content to make getting Ultimate worthwhile? Or is it meant for people who haven't played 3 at all yet?

Ultimate has a system where you can basically prestige individual characters multiple times. Does the regular version have that?