Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Uncle Ulty posted:

I have 100% completion ratings in DW3, DW4, DW5, (I'll have DW6 done in a few weeks), DW7, DW8, SW1, SW2, WO1, WO2, WO3, and Sengoku Basara 3.

DW9 doesn't scare me.

edit: Actually, on that note - since I've finished Warriors Orochi 3, but not WO3 Ultimate, how different are those two games? If I've Platinumed WO3 already, is there enough new content to make getting Ultimate worthwhile? Or is it meant for people who haven't played 3 at all yet?

The story is about twice as long, and it has Gauntlet Mode, which its own beast. And if want to do everything, you'll need to gain 1000 levels on each character. It's... a bit bigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I'm probably gonna get drat close to 100% in the games for my video series if not 100 straight up. Haven't started it yet, but I'm kinda scared of DW2.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.

Maleketh posted:

The story is about twice as long, and it has Gauntlet Mode, which its own beast. And if want to do everything, you'll need to gain 1000 levels on each character. It's... a bit bigger.

Hmm, and apparently you can import your save from WO3, which would save a lot of time. I may have to look into this...

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Jack Trades posted:

Can you come up with a radically different way of revealing the map to the player that would make sense in-game?

The way for a DW game to capitalise on open world is to have it feed back into the mechanics. For towers, why not have it be officers sent out to scout instead? That could then organically lead to betrayals and falling into traps, which would've been really cool. Maybe that'll happen for DW9 Empire.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

The scouts have been ambushed! Hurry and rescue them!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Can you come up with a radically different way of revealing the map to the player that would make sense in-game?

Head to a clearing, tie your arm to a rocket and shoot up tens of thousands of feet into the air to get a view of your surroundings. Parry the ground when you land or else you die!

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Slaughter peasants until they've told you everything there is to know about the region.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

get a 1000 hit combo on a room full of maps with legs that charge at you

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Uncle Ulty posted:

I have 100% completion ratings in DW3, DW4, DW5, (I'll have DW6 done in a few weeks), DW7, DW8, SW1, SW2, WO1, WO2, WO3, and Sengoku Basara 3.

DW9 doesn't scare me.

edit: Actually, on that note - since I've finished Warriors Orochi 3, but not WO3 Ultimate, how different are those two games? If I've Platinumed WO3 already, is there enough new content to make getting Ultimate worthwhile? Or is it meant for people who haven't played 3 at all yet?

Do not try to Platinum WO3 Ultimate, please I beg you

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/gematsucom/status/954213772347965440

lol rip if anyone was looking forward to that

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Max Wilco posted:

"I seek to create a land of benevolence" shouts Liu Bei, as he bounds over the table and slam dunks his infant son into the ground, bouncing him into a air-juggle combo.

Is there some sort of law that if you make an open-world game, you need to dot the map with towers to gain info on the map? I was surprised to see it in Breath of the Wild. I would have thought that Ubisoft buried that concept into the ground.

Ironically the Assassin's Creed series has finally beaten that horse to death and moved on, for the better.

But every other Ubisoft series and several other companies' open world games will continue to pull that trope :doh:

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

mikeycp posted:

I'm probably gonna get drat close to 100% in the games for my video series if not 100 straight up. Haven't started it yet, but I'm kinda scared of DW2.
Any particular reason? I mean other than the fact that DW2 now plays, sounds and looks like some sort of alpha/proof-of-concept for DW3, and having to go through 28 Musou modes with characters that never really improve outside of their raw stats from start to finish with no weapon upgrades or items is a terrifying prospect? :smith:

Yeah I'm not really a fan of DW2 these days, although I'm incredibly grateful for it existing and kickstarting this whole ridiculous genre.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Any particular reason? I mean other than the fact that DW2 now plays, sounds and looks like some sort of alpha/proof-of-concept for DW3, and having to go through 28 Musou modes with characters that never really improve outside of their raw stats from start to finish with no weapon upgrades or items is a terrifying prospect? :smith:

Yeah I'm not really a fan of DW2 these days, although I'm incredibly grateful for it existing and kickstarting this whole ridiculous genre.

When I busted open a box at Hu Lao Gate and found a Memory Card that asked if I wanted an Interim Save, I wondered how anyone in the world could return to it (and generic officer Zhang He) after touching DW3.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

Send out some scouts? You're some sort of high ranking officer in an army, right?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Takoluka posted:

When I busted open a box at Hu Lao Gate and found a Memory Card that asked if I wanted an Interim Save, I wondered how anyone in the world could return to it (and generic officer Zhang He) after touching DW3.

gently caress me sideways! I completely forgot that interim saving was such an awful horrible clunky thing in DW2!

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

The Moon Monster posted:

Send out some scouts? You're some sort of high ranking officer in an army, right?

Sometimes, sometimes not. Many characters worked their way up from the bottom. Lu Meng comes to mind. Still others might not have military rank. Someone like Cai Wenji or the Qiaos. It's about as likely that you'd be the one to be doing the scouting as it is to be sending out the scouts.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl7QZ0qT6Xs

An open world demonstration video.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Home renovations and dating? Nice.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

This looks pretty coo-WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH GUAN YINPINGS HAIR?!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Jack Trades posted:

Home renovations and dating? Nice.

Neat. I cracked up at the *reach into pocket, out plops giant rear end crate* animation because I'm easily entertained.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Because of the proof-of-concept thing and that I'v heard it's pretty unforgiving and also clunky at times.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Cow Pie!

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

also acceptable

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Yeah, this seems like the kind of dumb I’m looking for

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Noticed a lot of low res textures there.

DW9 isn't slated for PC is it?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Lunethex posted:

DW9 isn't slated for PC is it?

It is.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Unlucky7 posted:

What the gently caress indeed. That's something straight out of hacked-together Skyrim hair physics mods.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHxrYyfLXSE

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

I was thinking about while watching the portion with the house customization, and I was thinking it would be pretty cool if it somehow got Workshop support on Steam and you could load custom furniture and costumes into the game.

Then I remember that Koei-Tecmo PC ports don't tend to be very good, and I doubt they'd have support for that. :sigh:

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.

A Bystander posted:

Well, I wasn't specifically PLANNING on it, but now...

I'm saving a link to this post to return some time later, with a screenshot.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
If you already 100%'d WO3 and then transfer a save over it seems like a lot of the legwork would be done already.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Unlucky7 posted:

Lmao it’s like they designed the exact hair the physics engine people told them never to design

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

A Bystander posted:

I just picked up WO3 Ultimate. What's the issue with getting platinum for it?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I took a quick glance at PlayStationTrophies and the minimum time to platinum is simply listed as "200+ hours (150 with a 100% completed Warriors Orochi 3 save file)"

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
Right, that doesn't seem so daunting. I do have a complete WO3 file, so we will see how it goes. I need to clear some of my other games out of the backlog before I start that, though.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

A compilation of a whole lot of character action trailers for DW9:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOPkUKku2Q4

A bunch of those weapons are actually really dope.
Dual swords being combined in different ways to create big sword/two swords/sword polearm.
Nunchaks being used as guns?

Also I think all the character have very unique movesets even if they share a weapon? It's hard to tell but there are no moves that stood out as being re-used between characters.
I might be blind though.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
There's definitely some sharing, but they might have extra whatever the equivalent of EX moves are, and some are different speeds. Tiashi Ci and Xiahou Yuan have the same animations but Tiashi Ci is a hell of a lot faster.

Edit: I'm liking that they seem to desperately want to make Zhang Jiao not appear to be ancient Chinese Jesus by giving him a new loving absurd hairstyle in every game.

NameHurtBrain fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 21, 2018

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
There's no officer edit mode is there? :(

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Kaldaris posted:

There's no officer edit mode is there? :(

Mainline Warriors games usually don't have those, do they? You'll have to wait until Empires.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Jack Trades posted:

Mainline Warriors games usually don't have those, do they? You'll have to wait until Empires.

It's an annoyance, but you are right. I was hoping they'd just slap it in because it is The Year of Our Lord 2018.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

sw4 had it, but if they haven't said anything about it so far for dw9 i don't expect it