Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Skwirl posted:

I like One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 more, but if you want the Romance of the Three Kingdoms storyline, 8 or the Xtreme Legends version is probably best.

Okay, awesome. I only watched one season of One Piece probably around the same time that I last played Dynasty Warriors so I feel like it might be a bit lost on me unless it's literally following the story of the anime from the start.

It was a goofy and fun anime though so maybe I'll give it a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Nickiepoo posted:

Okay, awesome. I only watched one season of One Piece probably around the same time that I last played Dynasty Warriors so I feel like it might be a bit lost on me unless it's literally following the story of the anime from the start.

It goes through the whole story up until the point of the game's release.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Okay, that's actually pretty impressive to hear, neat.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nickiepoo posted:

I hadn't seen a single episode of the cartoon before I played it. After beating it I tried to watch the cartoon then realized there was 700 some odd episodes and quit.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
The game covers the story, but in very broad strokes. I’m familiar with the source material, but I’m guessing if I wasn’t, it wouldn’t make a whole lot of sense.

Just think of it as magical pirate adventures and you’ll be fine. I do love the gimmick in Pirate Warriors 3 (combo attacks with designated teammates, gradually strengthening to all teammates throughout the battle).

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Nickiepoo posted:

Pirate Warriors 3 covers the entire story of One Piece, but as a very abbreviated greatest-hits sort of way. For people who enjoy the story, there's lots of moments that will evoke strong emotional responses in a 'I remember when that happened' sort of way. For someone who doesn't know One Piece at all, you'll get the gist of the story well enough to follow along, but a lot of the moments that are emphasized will be largely devoid of context.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
And for the record, the anime is severely inferior to the manga, with the occasional standout exceptions that become rarer and rarer as it progresses. If you want to experience the story, that’s your best bet - and if you don’t mind some occasionally dodgy fansubs, go for the digitally coloured version, because it’s much more visually comprehensible.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So I bought One Piece Pirare Warriors 3 and aside from being thrown by a Dynasty Warriors game without a guard button one other thing is bugging me.

What's going on with these outfits? Do they not have any of their normal stuff? I don't remember Zoro ever having a jacket.

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012
He's had a Jacket a few times. But several costumes are from specific episodes or the movies. And for the future certain costumes have certain movesets tied to them. This is unimportant for a good while though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I was expecting like, their first outfits that they spent like 400 chapters in, honestly.

And like, fifteen different models for Nami and Robin considering how much their appearance changed. :v:

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012
I think Zoro, and Nami are the only ones that don't get their very first costume? (White shirt Zoro and white shirt with a blue stripe Nami.) Sanji basically never changes, Chopper doesn't get too many costumes, Nami isn't playable until Skypeia when she had something resembling a reasonable moveset, Robin gets her White Coat and hat, I....don't specifically recall Usopps outfits right now, Frankie when he finally joins up is in his normal outfit.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ussop's wearing like, a green shirt and blue overalls. And yeah, they can't really mess with Chopper's outfit since he only really has a hat.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
I've been playing a lot of Hyrule Warriors and boy is that game way fun.

On a side note, I have also been listening to the 3Kingdoms podcast. I guess this is because I kind of hate the Shu characters and rarely play them, but I didn't realize until listening to the podcast that Zhou Yu exists solely to be trolled to death by Zhuge Liang. Maybe I am dumb or maybe the DW characterization just doesn't do a good job capturing that.

Dual Monarchy
Feb 20, 2013

alpha_destroy posted:

On a side note, I have also been listening to the 3Kingdoms podcast. I guess this is because I kind of hate the Shu characters and rarely play them, but I didn't realize until listening to the podcast that Zhou Yu exists solely to be trolled to death by Zhuge Liang. Maybe I am dumb or maybe the DW characterization just doesn't do a good job capturing that.

I feel like the DW characterisation takes a lot strongly from the Romance of the 3K novels-- well, more in the earlier installments compared to the recent releases since they focused on 184-234AD and would drop off a cliff after Wu Zhang-- since Luo Guanzhong had a ridiculous Shu-bias. While I got the bias from the novel, I couldn't tell you how thorough it is since I only ever had the abridged version of it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Zhou Yu was supposed to be a pretty bright bulb in his own right, I thought. He wasn't Lu Xun or anything, but I always felt he was more thinker than warrior.

Hell if I have any evidence to back my hunch, though.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Dual Monarchy posted:

I feel like the DW characterisation takes a lot strongly from the Romance of the 3K novels-- well, more in the earlier installments compared to the recent releases since they focused on 184-234AD and would drop off a cliff after Wu Zhang-- since Luo Guanzhong had a ridiculous Shu-bias. While I got the bias from the novel, I couldn't tell you how thorough it is since I only ever had the abridged version of it.

In the early DW’s the Romance characterizations are mostly there in terms of motives and roles, except major characters who were kinda clowns in the novel (like Zhou Yu) got an upgrade while a lot of more minor characters (like Zheng He and Xu Chu) got clowned up to diversify the character designs.

Slowly from DW5 to where it was finalized in DW7, the narrative drifted more to a balanced approach- Shu were the righteous but overzealous defenders of the Han who missed the signs that the times were changing. Wei became the ‘Peace in our time. By War if we must’ faction who doesn’t understand why everyone won’t shut up and just listen to them. And Wu just wants to be left alone to rule it’s lands in peace, but Sun Jian just had to steal the Imperial Seal, and Sun Ce basically spent his entire adult life conquering other lands until the Wu borders started rubbing against the Wei...

Not coincidentally, DW7 was the first one featuring the surprise final boss of the Three Kingdoms era, the Jin. Who have been portrayed as basically a family of wacky supervillians, including the one token kid who really isn’t feeling it but winds up joining the family business anyways because it turns out everyone else is really stupid. Giving an actual villainous faction let them soften Wu and especially Wei’s portrayal as antagonists.

(And yes, the novel is pretty much Shu fan fiction until it becomes a Liu Shan hatefic instead. The Wei are callow and cunning cackling villains and the Wu are petty morons reaching beyond their grasp and it’s a terrible tragedy the glorious Shu have to live in the same world as such debased creatures.)

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 21, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mr. Locke posted:

In the early DW’s the Romance characterizations are mostly there in terms of motives and roles, except major characters who were kinda clowns in the novel (like Zhou Yu) got an upgrade while a lot of more minor characters (like Zheng He and Xu Chu) got clowned up to diversify the character designs.

Slowly from DW5 to where it was finalized in DW7, the narrative drifted more to a balanced approach- Shu were the righteous but overzealous defenders of the Han who missed the signs that the times were changing. Wei became the ‘Peace in our time. By War if we must’ faction who doesn’t understand why everyone won’t shut up and just listen to them. And Wu just wants to be left alone to rule it’s lands in peace, but Sun Jian just had to steal the Imperial Seal, and Sun Ce basically spent his entire adult life conquering other lands until the Wu borders started rubbing against the Wei...

Not coincidentally, DW7 was the first one featuring the surprise final boss of the Three Kingdoms era, the Jin. Who have been portrayed as basically a family of wacky supervillians, including the one token kid who really isn’t feeling it but winds up joining the family business anyways because it turns out everyone else is really stupid. Giving an actual villainous faction let them soften Wu and especially Wei’s portrayal as antagonists.

(And yes, the novel is pretty much Shu fan fiction until it becomes a Liu Shan hatefic instead. The Wei are callow and cunning cackling villains and the Wu are petty morons reaching beyond their grasp and it’s a terrible tragedy the glorious Shu have to live in the same world as such debased creatures.)

Eh, Jin do end up as the good guys of DW7, with Jiang Wei as a clear villain, the shrieking fanatic who will not let the violence stop (while Liu Shan, the kind-hearted apparent simpleton, discreetly works to undermine him). The cackling villainy of the Sima family is mostly just a front. DW8 complicates things, but keeps Sima Yi and Shi as charmingly obnoxious jerks who really do know what’s best for China.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Shinjobi posted:

Zhou Yu was supposed to be a pretty bright bulb in his own right, I thought. He wasn't Lu Xun or anything, but I always felt he was more thinker than warrior.

Hell if I have any evidence to back my hunch, though.

zhou yu was beautiful but not as beautiful as zhang he the end

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Darth Walrus posted:

Eh, Jin do end up as the good guys of DW7, with Jiang Wei as a clear villain, the shrieking fanatic who will not let the violence stop (while Liu Shan, the kind-hearted apparent simpleton, discreetly works to undermine him). The cackling villainy of the Sima family is mostly just a front. DW8 complicates things, but keeps Sima Yi and Shi as charmingly obnoxious jerks who really do know what’s best for China.

Yeah, I thought one of the points of the Jin faction is that the other 3 factions have declined spectacularly: Wei have become complacent nobels, Wu are a shadow of their former selves, and Shu are suffering because a literal terrorist is grinding them down by having them continuously attack the Wei.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 22, 2018

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
I am also replaying DW 3. The morale system is always fun to exploit. Except Shu side Yi Ling being hard as balls. Lu Meng made Lu Bu look like a chump on that stage. Not to mention only winning by shooting Sun Quan just out of reach.

On a side thing. It would be neat if eventually they made the character models age once or twice in the story. Always gets me watching grandpa Liu Bei on his deathbed still looking 15

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Yeah, DW3 Yi Ling is super-biased toward Wu, officer-wise. Shu-side, only Liu Bei and I think Zhuge Liang have commander-stamina levels.

Wu-side, on the other hand, Sun Quan/Jian, Lu Xun, Lu Meng, Gan Ning/Zhou Yu, and that one goddamn Gate Captain near Sun Shang Xiang. I wouldn't quite say they make Lu Bu look weak, though. At least the officers here actually flinch when you attack them. Lu Bu generally doesn't.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

BlazetheInferno posted:

that one goddamn Gate Captain near Sun Shang Xiang
I wish I could remember this guy clearly at all, never mind remember him being such a nuisance. Was it only if you played on Very Hard via 3XL? Or was he still a superhuman mook on regular ol' Hard difficulty?

While I'm talking about 3XL, one of the original stages that gave me no end of trouble if ramped up to Very Hard difficulty was He Fei Castle. I mean sure they all became ball-achingly frustrating at that skill level but He Fei Castle stands out as just being a complete loving nightmare. Battle of He Fei wasn't much different in that regard. Basically any map with a Wu enemy commanded by that insufferable loving bastard Sun Quan and his Archer/Crossbow fetish just became nigh-unplayable slogs once the ambushes started.

Manic X posted:

It would be neat if eventually they made the character models age once or twice in the story. Always gets me watching grandpa Liu Bei on his deathbed still looking 15
Then there's DW3 and Huang Zhong already looking like he's 70 while he's fighting against the Yellow Turban Rebellion, then doesn't age at all for the next 35 years.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I wish I could remember this guy clearly at all, never mind remember him being such a nuisance. Was it only if you played on Very Hard via 3XL? Or was he still a superhuman mook on regular ol' Hard difficulty?

He's got commander levels of stamina/defense/HP regardless of what difficulty he's on. It's weird. The Wu Gate Captain right by Sun Shang Xiang and Huang Zhong.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

BlazetheInferno posted:

Yeah, DW3 Yi Ling is super-biased toward Wu, officer-wise. Shu-side, only Liu Bei and I think Zhuge Liang have commander-stamina levels.

Wu-side, on the other hand, Sun Quan/Jian, Lu Xun, Lu Meng, Gan Ning/Zhou Yu, and that one goddamn Gate Captain near Sun Shang Xiang. I wouldn't quite say they make Lu Bu look weak, though. At least the officers here actually flinch when you attack them. Lu Bu generally doesn't.

Yeah maybe I was exaggerating a little, but at the same time, one run through the campaign, and I could topple Lu Bu with ease, whereas even with maxed out stats as any of the Shu officers, I would have problems against Gan Ning and Lu Meng in particular.

The only thing that makes Lu Bu hard on hard difficulty is his unique morale system whereby he just decimates everyone, even if they have higher morale than him. You can be down to just you, Yuan Shao (and usually Cao Cao - as he is late to the party) very quickly if Lu Bu isn't neutralized. I miss the old system of Officers having sub-officers.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Manic X posted:

I miss the old system of Officers having sub-officers.

Same here. I suppose it is somewhat pointless in the current scheme of things, but it was a nice detail and could really swing the morale meter around (back in the days when the morale meter actually mattered) if you clubbed some general with 5 officers under his command, forcing them all to retreat. I certainly wouldn't want to go back to DW3's method of not giving any sort of info on where these sub-officers are on the map though (something which DW4 fixed perfectly).

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

Used to make me laugh sometimes when the enemy sub-officers retreating was mention as a notification, and it would show they were miles away from their commander.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

That may be why they dropped it and just made everyone in a battle an independent general after DW5 :v:

What was pretty cool (for reasons of being a game oddity) was selecting a character who'd be subordinate officer on a certain map, then having your commanding officer get himself rubbed out (easiest to achieve on YTR on Hard or above, just pick Xiahou Dun and watch Cao Cao do something really loving dumb, that sort of thing); you'd just become some guy on the map with no appearance in the Unit Info section and seemingly have no influence or sway on the morale meter.

There was also this thing in DW4 where you'd invariably end up as a subordinate officer if you played Free Mode as a character who wasn't supposed to be in a battle. If you were playing co-op, P2 could then be an officer who is supposed to be in the battle, and voila! He'd be a subordinate officer too, but along with the regular general also being on the map. You'd end up with clones in the same army. I remember this being the case in particular with P2 selecting Ma Chao at Wu Zhang Plains (Shu side, obviously). I'm guessing it would work on other maps too, or maybe the game just poo poo the bed on this occasion.

(On that note there's also a DLC stage in DW8XL centering around Wang Yun & Diaochan's scheme to coerce Lu Bu into betraying/murdering Dong Zhuo -- Lu Bu's on the map as an (incredibly placid) enemy officer, but switches sides and flies into a murderous rage against ol' fatso once Diaochan encounters him with her sob story. Play as Lu Bu from the start and there you go, another Lu Bu just became available to mercilessly splat anything that moves. Pretty sure this can be done on any map which involves someone changing sides, but this one stands out for obvious reasons.)

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiwehVs8k_g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP4yREfgbMI

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Got a new GPU for my birthday. Dynasty Warriors 9 at 60 fps feels like a completely different game. I actually had to stop playing because I'd gotten so used to barely getting 30 fps on my 960 before.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Anyone else remember that dumb "feature" of Samurai Warriors in co-op where the game would average out the difficulty of the AI to sit somewhere between the abilities of the two selected characters?

Yeah, that was really loving dumb if I was hoofing around with a maxed-out Keiji Maeda while whoever else was lumbered with some poor sap, freshly unlocked and completely without upgrades or decent weapons. Even on the easier difficulties it turned things into a slog for P2.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Samurai Warriors 1 is the best argument against enemy scaling I've ever seen in my life

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

It made getting those super-duper-ultimate-until-XL weapons easier for P1 as far as chasing objectives goes, but at the same time went made it so much harder in every other way because P2 might as well have been a loving balloon among all those sharp & pointy enemy weapons.

It was simpler to just send two tanked-up supermen out on the highest skill, gently caress it. Glad it went away with the XL release.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
No way, the number one way to do it was to run that one Mitsuhide stage where you can retreat and finish the stage in like 10min on the highest difficulty with as much +Luck as you could manage, and just run around picking up every item you could before the retreat event and then run to the escape point. Then reset the character you wanted to level (which didn't erase their weapon inventory) and go in with +50 Def, Atk, Spd, Matsukaze, strongest lv3 weapon you could find, etc. Maybe get some SP or something but absolutely do not gain any levels.

Enemies would scale to your lv1 stats, but you would be 100+ points ahead of the curve in every worthwhile stat so you could kill top-tier generals in like five hits, take out officers in two or three. Absolutely necessary to get the ultimate sword for the custom character because you needed to be everywhere on the stage at once.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Nickiepoo posted:

I goes through the whole story but it assumes you're familiar with it. It's more about giving you the big moments than showing you the entire narrative.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

The White Dragon posted:

No way, the number one way to do it was to run that one Mitsuhide stage where you can retreat and finish the stage in like 10min on the highest difficulty with as much +Luck as you could manage, and just run around picking up every item you could before the retreat event and then run to the escape point. Then reset the character you wanted to level (which didn't erase their weapon inventory) and go in with +50 Def, Atk, Spd, Matsukaze, strongest lv3 weapon you could find, etc. Maybe get some SP or something but absolutely do not gain any levels.

Enemies would scale to your lv1 stats, but you would be 100+ points ahead of the curve in every worthwhile stat so you could kill top-tier generals in like five hits, take out officers in two or three. Absolutely necessary to get the ultimate sword for the custom character because you needed to be everywhere on the stage at once.

Good point, completely forgot about all that character reset stuff. I never did get all the ultimate weapons in SW (definitely not for any of the custom characters), in fact I don't think I've ever completed a single Warriors game in regards to obtaining every (ultimate) weapon. Certainly not even close to such a thing in DW3XL; that poo poo was just cruel.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Playing Dynasty Warriors 3 and man I miss the OP bodyguards, or just bodyguards in general. Why did they phase those out?

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Leal posted:

Playing Dynasty Warriors 3 and man I miss the OP bodyguards, or just bodyguards in general. Why did they phase those out?

Probably for the same reason they phased out the idea that you're a powerful but 'normal' dude on a battlefield full of other dudes and not a magical godman on a battlefield full of papermen (and the occasional other god).

Playing the new games, I'm enjoying them but I do miss when it felt like you were part of a war and really had to fight your way through the masses rather than mostly ignoring them to murder the boss. Though it's also possible that I was bad or am misremembering what DW2/3 were actually like.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

No idea, I miss them too. Especially the customisable ones in DW3XL, where they all had those sweet winged helmets and enough power to pile in and loving murder enemy generals in moments all while (potentially) having hilariously dumb names.

Nickiepoo posted:

Probably for the same reason they phased out the idea that you're a powerful but 'normal' dude on a battlefield full of other dudes and not a magical godman on a battlefield full of papermen (and the occasional other god).

Playing the new games, I'm enjoying them but I do miss when it felt like you were part of a war and really had to fight your way through the masses rather than mostly ignoring them to murder the boss. Though it's also possible that I was bad or am misremembering what DW2/3 were actually like.

The 'masses' in DW2 - DW5 were more often than not mere handfuls at a time compared to the literal hundreds of mooks that can and will flood the screen in recent entries. I'd say it was a balance thing during that era to at least try to keep those low numbers of mooks somewhat relevant to the gameplay by making them more durable (although they were generally still utter poo poo at actually attacking player characters, unless they were archers/crossbows; something which is still true today), whereas now the 'A Warrior Worth A Thousand!' tagline from DW3 can be put to good use and keep the real difficulty more related to moments when fighting other (important) officers*.

I mean whoever heard of one of these great generals, feared across the land, being felled by some lowly pleb with a short sword? :v:

*Even if they too fold up and die just as easily as their papermen legions once you're all maxed out with a combination of Earth-shattering ultimate weapons and field-clearing nuclear Musou attacks.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 10, 2018

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

No idea, I miss them too. Especially the customisable ones in DW3XL, where they all had those sweet winged helmets and enough power to pile in and loving murder enemy generals in moments all while (potentially) having hilariously dumb names.

They're arguably just as strong in DW4, though harder to level because of being dependent on how many points they get on an individual stage, rather than total points, and their stat-gain being dependent on their weapon type.

Still, once you've got them up and going, they can be rather insane. Especially since, if you level them right, they gain elemental attacks for their charge attacks. A swarm of 8 pike-wielding vorpal users is nuts. As an aside, the AI really loves jump-charge attacks while using pikes for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Those movesets do look a little more otherworldly than the Dynasty Warriors standard (which is already pretty wild). I like it.

Seriously, Athena does some impressively weird stuff with her shield.