Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Messing around in DW8:E some more and holy poo poo, if you just sit around doing diddly-dick as a vagabond unit none of the other regions manage to accomplish a loving thing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Leal posted:

Playing Dynasty Warriors 3 and man I miss the OP bodyguards, or just bodyguards in general. Why did they phase those out?

bodyguards were the best!!!!

they just scaled really poorly and didn't attack very much, that's all. I fuckin loved runnin around with my entourage

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Messing around in DW8:E some more and holy poo poo, if you just sit around doing diddly-dick as a vagabond unit none of the other regions manage to accomplish a loving thing!

For some reason they thought it would be a good idea for the CPU to have to win, like, three battles in a row to actually conquer a province.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

bodyguards were the best!!!!

they just scaled really poorly and didn't attack very much, that's all. I fuckin loved runnin around with my entourage

Imagine what they can do with the bodyguard system with current tech. Maybe have each bodyguard look unique from one another? Combo system with your groupies? Online integration so you can see other player's bodyguards protecting an enemy general? Dating sim?

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
I liked the feature in Dynasty Warriors Xtreme Legends where if you set things like ambushes, those troops were then essentially yours and would follow you around. One of the things I feel sucks with Dynasty Warriors is that you tend to just be alone without your own unit to command.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I'm in the mood for either a DW or SW game instead of one of the licensed ones. What is the current best on PS4? I already have SW4 so I could probably go back to that, but it looks like my options are DW8 and 9, WO3, or wait a couple months for WO4. What's my best option here?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
SW4 will be the the best for a long while, though DW8 and WO3 are still good, just older. You could always pick up SW4-2 or SW: Spirit of Sanada if you're craving more SW4 action.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
There's also SW4 Empires. That's the only Samurai Warriors that I've played. I don't know if there's any repeated content between it and the main game, but it gives you some decent customization options.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Thanks! I'll look into SW4 Empires but for now I'll probably just go back to vanilla SW4. Hopefully WO4 and DW10 will be good as it's been a while since I've gotten to play a mainline DW game.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuG67mUW-GY

This game is going to have the dumbest Odin ever and I want it.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Grinding my way through getting 100% on DW8XL and holy loving poo poo that means I have to get every goddamn 6th weapon and do every stage multiple times to get A rank & finish all Battle Objectives.

I loving hate the Storm Rush objectives in particular. They're just loving bothersome to achieve.

Remarker
Feb 7, 2011

I want to 100% one of these games some day but that process seems so intimidating every time I try.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Is there any noted differences between the PS4 and Switch versions of Warriors Orochi 4? Like different resolutions/enemies on screen and the like?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Evil Canadian posted:

Is there any noted differences between the PS4 and Switch versions of Warriors Orochi 4? Like different resolutions/enemies on screen and the like?

I looked at a visual comparison and frame-rate test for the Switch version on YouTube, and the Switch version drops to, like, 20fps during combat. I canceled my preorder for it, because I can't justify the price tag for that.

Get the PS4 version.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

3 hours till WO4 is released on PC - hope the price is reasonable, and I might just buy it today.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
It's going to be $59.99 not a doubt in my mind. Whether or not standard price is reasonable...

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The burning question is whether I buy it now or wait for the Deluxe Ultimate Super Edition with more deification forms and more guest characters.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

When WO4 found my WO3U save file and thanked me for my fan loyalty, I felt a little 'aw, <3 u 2' moment. After all I think I bought 3 about 3 times itself, from the PS3 to the Wii U, and then the PS4.
When WO4 did not find DW9 save data, I felt nothing, and said, "yeah, you just think about that."

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

PureRok posted:

It's going to be $59.99 not a doubt in my mind. Whether or not standard price is reasonable...

$59.99 with the Steam 10% off launch discount.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I bought the game so fast when it came out they hadn't applied the 10% discount, so it was $59.99 for me.

Mildly annoyed that that still happens.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

PureRok posted:

I bought the game so fast when it came out they hadn't applied the 10% discount, so it was $59.99 for me.

Mildly annoyed that that still happens.

Refund and buy again.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Refunding takes like 24 hours, and I've already played well over 2 hours. It's not worth the time or hassle to save six measly dollars.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I forgot Warriors Orochi 4 was coming out so soon. It looks like it's back to the normal formula rather than what 9 tried, but how is it aside from that? I'm always up for more musou.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
It's Warriors Orochi. Plays exactly the same as before, except the SW guys have their hyper attacks from SW4. Magic is RB+ X/Y/B or LT+RT. Less grind, it feels like. Getting on a horse is even easier (RB+A) since it just magically appears under you without delay. You can lock onto enemy generals now with R3.

That's pretty much all that's different that I can think of off the top of my head.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

PureRok posted:

It's Warriors Orochi. Plays exactly the same as before, except the SW guys have their hyper attacks from SW4. Magic is RB+ X/Y/B or LT+RT. Less grind, it feels like. Getting on a horse is even easier (RB+A) since it just magically appears under you without delay. You can lock onto enemy generals now with R3.

That's pretty much all that's different that I can think of off the top of my head.

Most notable is that magic has replaced the unique actions that used to be tied to R1. I think it actually works better.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am sorta waiting on impressions, I have yet to see someone review it from the point of view of "Is it a good Musou game?" instead of "Is it a good game?", if that makes sense.

I did see a youtube review saying that it was disappointing, but it also said that the sword moveset uses Dian Wei's moveset but with a sword instead of an axe, which is extremely suspect (But would be hilarious if true).

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 16, 2018

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

I'm a fair way through chapter 2, and it feels very much like more of the same Warriors Orochi. It doesn't seem to tread much new ground, but if you enjoy the series, you'll probably like Orochi 4.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'll play a musou game that doesn't do anything particularly new but is fun to push buttons in. I'm mainly just concerned about whether there are any major missteps.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I'm disappointed that it doesn't have the insane cameos of Orochi 3 Ultimate.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

chumbler posted:

I'll play a musou game that doesn't do anything particularly new but is fun to push buttons in. I'm mainly just concerned about whether there are any major missteps.

Nothing that I've seen so far. It actually has some nice convenience tweaks (most notably the horse summoning that was mentioned earlier).

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
How is the PC port? DW9 was such a mess I'm hesitant to pay full price for another Warriors game.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Mokinokaro posted:

I'm disappointed that it doesn't have the insane cameos of Orochi 3 Ultimate.

Yeah, this and the general unpersoning of all the stuff they did with DW9 kind of turned me off from Orochi 4. I liked all the weird Tecmo Koei crossovers and not having the new DW9 guys/designs kinda sucks.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, this and the general unpersoning of all the stuff they did with DW9 kind of turned me off from Orochi 4. I liked all the weird Tecmo Koei crossovers and not having the new DW9 guys/designs kinda sucks.

It's hardly surprising, though. The fans hated DW9 and TK clearly wants to distance itself from that.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Maleketh posted:

It's hardly surprising, though. The fans hated DW9 and TK clearly wants to distance itself from that.

Plus the Orochi games always seem to be a game behind when it comes to the DW character models. It's just how they are.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

chumbler posted:

That's mainly me of the last 15 years. I don't regret not having picked up 9 yet. It's the only one I've skipped, and I'm notorious for repurchasing an iteration if the circumstances are right.

Remarker
Feb 7, 2011

My copy is showing up Thursday. I have been playing Samurai Warriors 2 in the mean time, and man, that game rules.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Are the new characters fun to play? How much moveset cloning is there?

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

Ok, I just finished Chapter 2 (about 3 hours of gameplay, but an hour of that I had just left the game running). So each chapter is about an hour so far - but I think there are only 4 or 5 chapters looking at the achievements).

Thoughts so far:

1) Feels like a typical Warriors Orochi Game. Crossovers of all the expected characters. I think the roster is at 179 or something around that region. You begin with Tadakatsu Honda which is actually very disappointing to me. I don't like beginning with such an OP character. I like to work for them.
2) The story thus far is pretty non-existent. Takes place after the events of Orochi 3. Everyone gets enshrouded in some kind of mist. They forget everything. There is some mystic involvement from new mystics. That's all that has been revealed 2 chapters in (as well as the main villain thus far, but I will refrain from spoiling who it is). In short I preferred WO1 and WO2 how each faction had a unique story.
3) After just 2 chapters I have around 30 characters already - so you unlock 3-5 characters per stage.
4) Rage attacks are back with a new method of obtaining them. Magic attacks are a new possibility just adding to the craziness, but I like them. Also new enemies that can only be defeated by magic.
5) Immersion is broken regularly though depending on what team you head into battle with. If I choose Ma Chou as an example in my team in a battle he happens to appear in, there will now be 2 Ma Chou-z running around.
6) AI is shockingly bad on Normal. I am considering upping to hard, because I barely get hit. I preferred the old days where you had less enemies to kill, but they actually did something and not just strafe. Hard to believe that the AI was better in WO1 and Dynasty Warriors 3.
7) you no longer walk around the camp, it's all just a menu screen. You can upgrade weapons and camp facilities too. I prefer this as I didn't like walking around the camp in WO3, was too empty.
8) You can play online with friends in two modes - story mode and a new mode called Battle Arena (a base-capture 3-on-3 challenge). Seems like it could be fun, but not invested time into it yet.

So far I am having fun. It's enjoyable and some of the battles have nice little strategies that can be implemented (would like more though). I am playing on the PC port. It's running smoothly with the odd slow-down here and there. Has controller support otherwise it would be a big no-no for me.

Finally, I have to brag that I got the game for the equivalent of $13.99. Love Vietnam's steam store, everything is so cheap :D .

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

am i reading that right, is battle arena pvp? are there armies in it? other npc officers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

Davincie posted:

am i reading that right, is battle arena pvp? are there armies in it? other npc officers?

You can do both. I have not delved into it too much, so I will offer insight on what I can.

Two teams of 3 on a rather small map. Three bases positioned. Not sure if there is only one map or more. I've only seen one.

You can play you and npcs.
Co-op or against a local friend
Online PVP

I think you are restricted to just one officer in this mode, although in the tutorial, it gives you two weirdly.
All bases start as neutral. You capture a base by simply standing next to it. But it takes a good 20 seconds to capture.
It seems like you can only kill each other using musou attacks when the HP is low. If you die, but still have an active base, you will respawn in cycles. The team that captures all 3 bases and kills the enemy officers wins. Or, if the timer runs out, the team with the most bases will win.