Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Was really upset at how garbage Jeanne d'Arc was in Extella.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Sakurazuka posted:

The first one was good so hopefully this one will be too now there's more than eight characters.

The first one was overly grindy, and officers were unreasonable damage sponges on Normal.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't remember having a problem other than Tamamo sucking until she got a few level ups but I just played through the story then left it as usual.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't remember having a problem other than Tamamo sucking until she got a few level ups but I just played through the story then left it as usual.

If you didn't play Beserker's side story you missed out on the best part of the game.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Maleketh posted:

If you didn't play Beserker's side story you missed out on the best part of the game.

Both Riders had decent ones as well.

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012

PureRok posted:

Was really upset at how garbage Jeanne d'Arc was in Extella.

To be fair. Jeanne is kinda poo poo everywhere. Her thing is that she's a ruler. She's tougher then most and knows who the enemy is from the beginning.... but she's weak and her NP is a suicide move. Even Fate/Grand Order where they changed it still had it remove her next turn and it was more for buffing everyone else then actually fighting. I'm really hoping with NP's going off more often now she isn't still using suicide as her np though....

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Chaeden posted:

To be fair. Jeanne is kinda poo poo everywhere. Her thing is that she's a ruler. She's tougher then most and knows who the enemy is from the beginning.... but she's weak and her NP is a suicide move. Even Fate/Grand Order where they changed it still had it remove her next turn and it was more for buffing everyone else then actually fighting. I'm really hoping with NP's going off more often now she isn't still using suicide as her np though....

That's fine in an RPG setting, but in an action game it's a big no-no to make your character actively suck.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
She’s really bad in the FGO arcade game too because her damage output is so low and all the stages are timed.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
Wandering back to DW3, are there some recommended PCSXE settings for it? I fiddled with it for awhile and I can't seem to get a solid bit of settings for it. Not :files: cause I have the actual game, I just don't have a PS2. Or a TV. So this is how I get my bad voice acting fix for now.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:

NameHurtBrain posted:

Wandering back to DW3, are there some recommended PCSXE settings for it? I fiddled with it for awhile and I can't seem to get a solid bit of settings for it. Not :files: cause I have the actual game, I just don't have a PS2. Or a TV. So this is how I get my bad voice acting fix for now.

I have yet to get my pcsxe to work solidly with any game. It’s a poorly optimized emulator. I just have to deal with fluctuations in fps of 45-60 (depending on amount of ai on screen). I would love to do a nostalgia lp of it; but I don’t think it would look very nice in the emulator.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I haven't tried it myself but everything I can find shows it working just fine in PCSX2. Make sure you're using a recent, nightly build instead of the "stable" build from three years back.

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012

PureRok posted:

That's fine in an RPG setting, but in an action game it's a big no-no to make your character actively suck.

Oh I agree. But they do make her consistently terrible. I went into her story mode expecting her to be terrible. Though I did enjoy her more then Karna......I don't know why I hate him so much in every game I've played him in.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Alex was fantastic in Extella. Definitely the Top Servant who best lived up to his rep.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I mean, I do know I would tend to experience a good amount of slowdown when lots of stuff was on screen in DW3 with the emulator, but I remember that being the game's fault, not the emulator or settings therein.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:

BlazetheInferno posted:

I mean, I do know I would tend to experience a good amount of slowdown when lots of stuff was on screen in DW3 with the emulator, but I remember that being the game's fault, not the emulator or settings therein.

I actually remember Dynasty Warriors 3 not having that problem on actual hardware as the game ensures there’s only so many enemies on screen that it can handle. It even has a hierarchy. Starting with the player, then enemy commander, enemy officers, all the way down to ally soldiers. However, my emulator version gets slowdown sometimes while I am just walking. I might try updating the emulator as it may have got better now.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
havent played since Dynasty Warriors 3, which copy should I pick up as a returning player?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Is dynasty warriors 7 still the go to if you want an actually good game as an introduction to the genre?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I'd recommend DW8XL myself, just for the gameplay and extra characters with no clone movements. 7 still has the best story mode though.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

7's story mode is better. If you really care about that go, 7 first, because the QOL improvements in 8 make it frustrating to go back.

otherwise just go 8

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Yeah just go 8XL. Sure 7 edges it out on story but in 8XL everything else is just superior.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Zheng Liao has Liu Bei’s voice in 8XL and that’s a solid point against it imo.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
e:wrong thread.

I do need to pick up WO3U sometime.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Hey so apparently the reason Koei Tecmo and friends have been so quiet lately on their own games is that they're helping make the new Fire Emblem and Marvel: Ultimate Alliance games.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Policenaut posted:

Hey so apparently the reason Koei Tecmo and friends have been so quiet lately on their own games is that they're helping make the new Fire Emblem and Marvel: Ultimate Alliance games.

I wonder if that's to distract them from planning DW10?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I wonder if this means a FE:W:2 will come out before another Hyrule Warriors.
It's kind of weird how quiet they've been on that front, hasn't HW been one of the best-performing warriors games?
(Though, it being released on 3 platforms probably helps a lot.)

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I only now noticed the third One Piece Warriors game is on Steam. How's that one?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Azran posted:

I only now noticed the third One Piece Warriors game is on Steam. How's that one?

It's one of the better K-T musou games on steam.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I’ve never played a Samurai Warriors game (but have played musou games before) - do I want 4, 4-2 or Spirit of Sanada?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Definitely 4

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

Why 4 over 4-2 (or vice-versa, if there's disagreement)? I'm trying to make the same choice.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Razor Jacksuit posted:

Why 4 over 4-2 (or vice-versa, if there's disagreement)? I'm trying to make the same choice.

4 is the main game with most of the expected content and 4-2 is basically an expansion, except completely standalone because the drat lawsuit with Capcom was still pending at the time. Which is why 4-2 by itself might feel a little lacking. It's not necessarily terrible or anything.

Btw, Spirit of Sanada is an interesting experiment in terms of telling a linear story with only one clan (though you can unlock all the other characters later, mind you). Still, I wouldn't recommend it over 4.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Hey I heard there might be some Nobunaga's Ambition enthusiasts here. I'm going to pick up Sphere of Influence Ascension for PS4 and I'm hoping for some newbie tips. I'm pretty new with strategy in general but I've been meaning to try this series because I love Sengoku-era history and I want to rule Japan as the clearly best clan: Uesugi.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Random, but something I noticed I miss in the newer games is costume recolors. Some costume recolors in the older games were pretty cool.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

lurksion posted:

Random, but something I noticed I miss in the newer games is costume recolors. Some costume recolors in the older games were pretty cool.

DW4's purple recolour of DW3 Lu Bu will forever be the best.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
So if I haven't played a warriors game in a number of years and I want to buy one, which is the one to do for? I think the last DW game I played was 7, SW was 2, and I've never played an Orochi

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Karnegal posted:

So if I haven't played a warriors game in a number of years and I want to buy one, which is the one to do for? I think the last DW game I played was 7, SW was 2, and I've never played an Orochi

Pirate Warriors 3

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Pirate Warriors 3

I don't know anything about One Piece

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Karnegal posted:

I don't know anything about One Piece

you don't need to. if you're here for Warriors gameplay, then it's the smoothest, tightest gameplay experience that koei has produced in this series.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I disagree.

Edit for content: Hyrule Warriors is probably their best game to date. Pirate Warriors was too much of a slog to play through. Also most of the characters aren't fun to play as.

PureRok fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I agree on Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition being overall the best (except for manhandlas), but Pirate Warriors 3 is real good. Only real criticisms I have are the big team attacks take too long and Garp is not as fun as I wanted him to be due to slow attacks.