Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Delerion posted:

Op could use an update!

What are the current top dogs in DW,SW and empires versions of either?

On steam that is, sadly SW empires is not on pc :(

Probably DW8, SW4-2 and DW8E. There's not much to choose from on PC.

I'd kill a man for another Empires game on PC tbh. They're extremely my poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf

Jack Trades posted:

Probably DW8, SW4-2 and DW8E. There's not much to choose from on PC.

I'd kill a man for another Empires game on PC tbh. They're extremely my poo poo.

Thanks.

My favourite part of dw8xl was ambition mode anyways so hopefully empires will be more of that.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

https://i.imgur.com/DLRxbdA.mp4
Well this just happened.

Edit:
Snippet from an old screenshot of this game being weird again...

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 27, 2019

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Besides the missions taking so long to complete, Pirate Warriors 3 was way shorter than I was expecting.

Also I was really really hoping on the long shot that Robin, Tashigi and Nami would have different appearances from before they all started fitting the same template and after.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Delerion posted:

Thanks.

My favourite part of dw8xl was ambition mode anyways so hopefully empires will be more of that.

It's basically that with a simple strategic metagame added on top.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Bring back SW3 Empires' Castle Town.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

RareAcumen posted:

Besides the missions taking so long to complete, Pirate Warriors 3 was way shorter than I was expecting.

Also I was really really hoping on the long shot that Robin, Tashigi and Nami would have different appearances from before they all started fitting the same template and after.

But they do? Well, Robin and Nami do anyways. All the Strawhats have pre-timeskip and post-timeskip versions, different movesets between em too. I think Tashigi has a pre and post timeskip costume too, but the same moveset.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

But they do? Well, Robin and Nami do anyways. All the Strawhats have pre-timeskip and post-timeskip versions, different movesets between em too. I think Tashigi has a pre and post timeskip costume too, but the same moveset.

I didn't explain myself well enough. I was talking about how most of the women's figures changed pre and post timeskip. So I wasn't expecting it but I thought it'd be funny to have a normal figure beforehand and then after everyone gained extremely thin waists and et cetera.

Also sad that Zoro doesn't get his first outfit at any time in the game either. The game seemed pretty short, aside from how long the levels take.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
You know how in anime, characters always get more powerful as they age, despite that not actually being a thing in real life?

It turns out that manga artists get hornier as they age.

This is Oda's Super Horny level 2. You're not ready for him to go even further beyond.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I mean, like most Warriors games finishing the campaign is pretty quick and straightforward. The meat of the game is Dream Log or whatever it's called.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

I mean, like most Warriors games finishing the campaign is pretty quick and straightforward. The meat of the game is Dream Log or whatever it's called.

It's mostly that I'm comparing it to other Warriors games and also that I largely know about what happens for a good chunk of One Piece so it feels short to me. Warriors Orochi 3 (Xbox 360), Hyrule Warriors, Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2 & 3 are what I'm going off of.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The main story in Hyrule Warriors was so loving short though. It's almost unfair to compare anything to WO3, because that one is just unreasonably huge. And DWG2 was also mostly contained within the individual character mode thing, the main story episodes going through a couple shows were pretty short. Not that PW3 isn't kinda short, because it kinda is, but it's not THAT short. I'm almost certain the main storyline in HW was shorter, but I could be wrong.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I dunno about Pirate Warriors or Gundam Warriors, but of HW, Fire Emblem Warriors, and WO3, WO3's story mode was the longest, probably by at least 3-4x. Even WO2's Story mode was significantly shorter.

But most of the meat of HW/FEW was in Adventure/History mode, so it's kinda not fair to compare them.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
The DW3 modders are dicks who don't wanna share there work with anyone, just so their obsolete channels are somewhat unique. Dicks.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Edit: Can't read dates!

Azran fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 3, 2019

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Going through DW3XL with a buddy, for the main purpose of getting a bunch of 4th weapons, and with this we've taken the jump to collect some 5th weapons too along the way (for characters we actually like using, at least):

I've not really bothered with this 5th weapon lark for DW3XL since I was in my mid/late teens, and... what the gently caress, it's a downgrade?! Looks to be more for bragging rights than actual usability on higher skills, so grabbing it caused more stress than it's actually worth. Wonderful. So the Sky Scorcher is simply a much better weapon overall if you're playing on Hard or Very Hard (I mean +60 Def. makes one hell of a difference when you're in the middle of a pack of ghosts phasing in and out of existence just to get a jab in), but at least I can put this back in the DW3XL Trophy Cabinet.

After we checked the stats between the 4th and 5th on a few characters, a lot of the 5th look more like a mere "alternative" option over the 4th (such as the above), rather than straight upgrades, with some (such as those for Guan Yu or Cao Cao) just being flat-out worse.

Jesus Christ. I almost feel cheated.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Going through DW3XL with a buddy, for the main purpose of getting a bunch of 4th weapons, and with this we've taken the jump to collect some 5th weapons too along the way (for characters we actually like using, at least):

I've not really bothered with this 5th weapon lark for DW3XL since I was in my mid/late teens, and... what the gently caress, it's a downgrade?! Looks to be more for bragging rights than actual usability on higher skills, so grabbing it caused more stress than it's actually worth. Wonderful. So the Sky Scorcher is simply a much better weapon overall if you're playing on Hard or Very Hard (I mean +60 Def. makes one hell of a difference when you're in the middle of a pack of ghosts phasing in and out of existence just to get a jab in), but at least I can put this back in the DW3XL Trophy Cabinet.

After we checked the stats between the 4th and 5th on a few characters, a lot of the 5th look more like a mere "alternative" option over the 4th (such as the above), rather than straight upgrades, with some (such as those for Guan Yu or Cao Cao) just being flat-out worse.

Jesus Christ. I almost feel cheated.

I think the scaling on the 4th weapons changed with the XL pack but the 5th weapons stayed the same.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Fumaofthelake posted:

I think the scaling on the 4th weapons changed with the XL pack but the 5th weapons stayed the same.
Not entirely sure what you mean here. None of the stats on the 4th weapons from DW3 are changed when playing DW3XL, which (right now at least) has me scratching my head over why the game needs to be set on Very Hard to obtain these 5th weapons when they're nowhere near as much of a step-up in power (if at all) over their predecessors.

Unless of course you're referring to anything after DW3, where 4th/Lv.10 weapons were certainly toned down and functioned more like basic upgrades over the 3rd/Lv.9 weapons -- excessively so in DW4 -- rather than being ridiculous game-winning "superweapons", while also leaving plenty of room to make the 5th weapons in the inevitable XL addition actually worth the effort (without them being broken OP too).

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Not entirely sure what you mean here. None of the stats on the 4th weapons from DW3 are changed when playing DW3XL, which (right now at least) has me scratching my head over why the game needs to be set on Very Hard to obtain these 5th weapons when they're nowhere near as much of a step-up in power (if at all) over their predecessors.

Unless of course you're referring to anything after DW3, where 4th/Lv.10 weapons were certainly toned down and functioned more like basic upgrades over the 3rd/Lv.9 weapons -- excessively so in DW4 -- rather than being ridiculous game-winning "superweapons", while also leaving plenty of room to make the 5th weapons in the inevitable XL addition actually worth the effort (without them being broken OP too).

I was thinking that level 4 weapons in the base game had a lower stat cap than level 4 weapons earned in the xpack and that’s what made the level 5s not make sense. But I could definitely be thinking of something else since it’s been like 15 years or more since I played DW3.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
From what I can tell, the 5th weapons generally add an element into a weapon's c3/4/5 attack. In the case of characters like Lu Bu, who already gets elements on their 4th weapon, it changes it to another element on their 5th weapon. But yeah, they're more like alt weapons since 4th and 5th weapons share the same base atk anyways.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Also it looks like Lu Bu's lets you automatically have Red Hare.

EDIT: Guan Yu's replaces the element with Red Hare. Course, the weapon having Red Hare is kinda pointless if you already unlocked Red Hare I guess.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 4, 2019

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Fumaofthelake posted:

I was thinking that level 4 weapons in the base game had a lower stat cap than level 4 weapons earned in the xpack and that’s what made the level 5s not make sense. But I could definitely be thinking of something else since it’s been like 15 years or more since I played DW3.
Some of the items get a "break limit" thing going on where the cap is increased, but it's a load of combo-string bullshit to get that to happen. Weapons however remain unchanged.

Allarion posted:

From what I can tell, the 5th weapons generally add an element into a weapon's c3/4/5 attack. In the case of characters like Lu Bu, who already gets elements on their 4th weapon, it changes it to another element on their 5th weapon. But yeah, they're more like alt weapons since 4th and 5th weapons share the same base atk anyways.
Some (more than a few) of the 5th weapons don't even have an element attached (such as Cao Cao, despite him having the 'Death' element on his 4th), which is all sorts of hosed up.

Allarion posted:

Also it looks like Lu Bu's lets you automatically have Red Hare.

EDIT: Guan Yu's replaces the element with Red Hare. Course, the weapon having Red Hare is kinda pointless if you already unlocked Red Hare I guess.
This sort of thing is a "good in theory" attribute which in practice (for Lu Bu) just makes the weapon a straight downgrade compared to Sky Scorcher; I'd rather have the +60 Def. instead of starting on Red Hare, because once you're off the horse and swinging at mooks, it's effectively a blank slot. In Guan Yu's case he actually makes use of that fifth attribute slot to get the saddle, but then loses out on ATK and HP anyway meaning he's already much worse off when actually fighting. Oh, and there's also that +21 Speed stat. despite having the Red Hare saddle. This is just loving cruel.

Speaking of saddles and whatnot, having any "Saddle" item equipped in DW3 is something of a wasteful option since:
1) Standard (white/brown) horses are near-enough everywhere, and they're all fast enough to get you from A to B in reasonable time.
2) You can/will be knocked off the horse frequently if you try fighting from it (especially on Hard/Very Hard), unless you go ahead wasting even more precious item slots on whatever harness/armour items prevent this happening (and even then it's only effective against archers/crossbows). You're just gradually crippling yourself for the sake of trying to piss around on horseback for a few seconds extra at a time, which is already shamefully ineffective.

Easy to see why saddles got their own equipment slot from DW4 onward :v:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I will note though, that Zhang Jiao's 5th weapon in DW3XL is utter hilarity. It has a Lightning element on it, but this thing also changes ALL of his fire attacks into lightning, even the ones in his regular moveset and his musou attack.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

I’m confused. I bought Dw8 xl a few weeks back on sale. But I can’t see dw8 on steam at all. Does this mean I’ll be missing half the content?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
The steam version has the base game and XL together.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

Keeshhound posted:

The steam version has the base game and XL together.

Oh thank God.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So... are there any pointers on how to play the retro Nobunaga and ROT3K games?

I tried poking at the first one in each series in a couple different emulators, but the UI makes almost no sense and I got my poo poo pushed in very quickly in all cases.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

So... are there any pointers on how to play the retro Nobunaga and ROT3K games?

I tried poking at the first one in each series in a couple different emulators, but the UI makes almost no sense and I got my poo poo pushed in very quickly in all cases.

this is the retro nobunaga experience

like if you play nobunaga's ambition 1 and you choose the wrong fief your starting peasant loyalty is so low that there's a 99% chance there will be a peasant uprising on the first turn, and if that doesn't kill you someone else will

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 18, 2019

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Started replaying a bit of WO4 and my god the characters just don't stop loving talking during battles. The slightest thing happens and BAM here we go listen to everyone waffle on for several minutes about a problem I've already solved until the next minor event where it happens all over again. I wouldn't mind but I don't speak a loving word of Japanese so it's all just empty noise to me, and reading the subtitles isn't exactly a thing to do when surrounded by endless mooks.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyaRQnfQ9Dg

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Well, people have been asking for a persona warriors.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

It's loving beautiful, is what it is. I'm half expecting some of the other games to be represented via DLC later on, but this BEST come stateside, damnit.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah I feel like I'm the only person not disappointed by this news. Although I've already played p5, maybe that's why. At this point any p5 release is just a way to listen to the soundtrack.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I'm disappointed that there's no portable persona 5, but this is still pretty cool.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The White Dragon posted:

this is the retro nobunaga experience

like if you play nobunaga's ambition 1 and you choose the wrong fief your starting peasant loyalty is so low that there's a 99% chance there will be a peasant uprising on the first turn, and if that doesn't kill you someone else will

So they're basically just completely unplayable games, then? Gotcha.

That's sad, having an NES strategy game to poke at that doesn't suck rear end would be nice.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I'm conflicted. On one hand, it's Persona Warriors; on the other, it's Persona 5 Warriors.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Maybe they'll have some characters from one of the good ones too

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Maybe they'll have some characters from one of the good ones too

So, what, Koromaru and no one else?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Kingtheninja posted:

Yeah I feel like I'm the only person not disappointed by this news. Although I've already played p5, maybe that's why. At this point any p5 release is just a way to listen to the soundtrack.
I'm happy with it. I have P5 for PS4, so I'm not in a hurry to re-buy, but a Warriors game is something I've wanted for a while. I'm a bit disappointed it's focused solely on P5, but it does make sense for them to do so. Throw this in with the other two Switch Warriors games as something I'd like to see get a sequel with more characters, and while we're wishing let's reach for the stars and say not just from Persona games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate is finally on sale, so I bought it :getin: