Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
maybe you'll get lucky and koei will mis-list it on the australian store for a dollar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Crossposting from another thread, but I noticed the mods for adding Xbox button prompts to DW8XL and DW8 Empires on Steam are not so easy to find anymore, so I uploaded both:

Here's the link for the DW8XL buttons:

https://mega.nz/file/KVEBiKAI#QZ8hp4n3AZFnbtag7_vCG_q_Jwa6fCTTBtTUdtVHSJo

Also, here's a link for button prompts for DW8 Empires:

https://mega.nz/file/3AdxiCJT#9t61scA-9n6lwfwtZK4WVP8uUZUOsjHn-FGSc1kbOQI

And here's a description of how to apply the mod:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2082941826

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
I just collected every single trophy in WO4 Ultimate. Including Weapon Master. With a 0.3% collection rate, that has to be one of the rarest trophies out there. And for good reason. Good god.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Anyone in here tried P5 Scramble yet? It's been out in Japan for a while so I thought I'd ask if anyone here's given it a shot in some how.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

RareAcumen posted:

Anyone in here tried P5 Scramble yet? It's been out in Japan for a while so I thought I'd ask if anyone here's given it a shot in some how.

I have played through the whole game and am happy to answer any specific questions. It's really good, and more or less a worthy sequel to P5 like a lot of people have said.
Though it's more of a P5 flavored action RPG with Musou elements than just yet another similar Musou spinoff with licensed anime/game characters. Most of the time you are sneaking up on shadows using cover to ambush them like in P5, except they will turn into a fairly small mob of enemies. They are small skirmishes against small groups of enemies that usually end pretty quickly if you ambushed them. Occasionally there are set-pieces which feel more Musou-like where you are fighting against large groups and waves of enemies. The most common kinds of these are sub-bosses that come with lots of enemies, and sequences wher eyou have to protect Futaba from waves of enemies while she is hacking a computer.

You have a 4 character party where you can switch between characters at will and each one of them has their own moves and slightly different playing style. Though much like in the original game Joker is by far the most versatile since he can switch Personas and you will probably be using him a lot more than the other characters. Bringing up the menu to use Persona skills pauses the game.

Of course there's close to as many long stretches of cutscenes as the original P5 so it's hard to recommend if you don't have a decent level in Japanese. Though in gameplay terms there's no social links that require you to pick good answers or anything.

There is a demo of it on the Japanese Switch eShop and maybe also Playstation Store but it only covers the first tutorial area.

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Aug 31, 2020

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Azran posted:

How's PW4 in terms of content?

Re-quoting this because Pirate Warriors 4 is now about half off in various Gameplanet sites.

In terms of WO4, all I have left is infinity mode, and I think my time is better respected with a new game for about 30 bucks. But I'd still like some input on if it's worth getting? I loved One Piece but I only got as far as the timeskip itself--a little after that is when I stopped reading, and that was obviously a long time ago. Would I find the gameplay fun enough to go through that, not being aware of what to expect? Is there enough content/incentive to replay stuff?

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I cant speak to PW4 specifically in terms of amount of content/replay value, as I've just started PW3. In terms of "is the gameplay enjoyable if you dont know the relevant One Piece arcs", I've seen about three episodes of the anime and nothing else and I'm having a blast, unless they drastically changed things in PW4 then you're probably safe there

lapis legit
Sep 14, 2017
Chipping in as someone who plays both PW3 and PW4 (tho not to 100% completion) and is a One Piece fan, I personally feel like PW4 is a sidegrade compared to PW3.

It heavily improves in terms of gameplay - PW4 plays so much faster and more dynamic (breakable environs!) that it feels off going back to PW3, not to mention you can now jump which come with its own sets of combos. Another big thing is Musou is completely removed, replaced with a set of four skills you can use instead (some fans hate this change, but I don't mind it). There's a few other new things too - sky characters are tons of fun to use, shield bars on bosses, and other stuff that makes it fun to play. The visuals is also better, tho I do admit I miss the more simple cartoony style of PW3 as I feel it really fits One Piece. The character balance is overall pretty good - there are power, technique, speed and sky characters, though of course some characters are just plain better than others (especially giant characters and the yonkous).

When it comes to experiencing the story as a One Piece newbie, I strongly recommend going for PW3 first. PW4 straight up skips a bunch of arc (everything before Alabasta, Skypeia, Fishman Island) which means that despite similar number of stages it feels much shorter, especially as a few stages are short 1v1 match. The Dream Log is still there under a different name, but making it a mission list instead of a bunch of islands with different path is a much downgrade in QOL for me.

Overall my impression of PW4 is that it's much more fun to play, but also feels much shorter content wise with a bunch of character and stages present in PW3 missing, which makes it feel like they deliberately do that to sell more DLC content later. For newbies I'd recommend to go for the much cheaper PW3 first, and only going for PW4 when there's a sale as I don't feel there's quite enough there for a $60 price.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
I liked PW3 a lot and i might go for 4 for 30bux if it's that much more fun to play, even if it's shorter.

Thanks for the input!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Thanks for the writeup! I'll wait for a sale on Steam since in my region it's still comparatively pricey but still cheaper than those Gameplanet offers, even without a discount.

Also re: Infinity mode being disrespectful of the player's time, yeah, absolutely. I reinstalled it the other day to see if I could power through the 13th tower and I got a map where I had to cleanse 13 pillars. Then Zeus randomly spawned and one-shot me from off-screen with one attack against my maxed out team. gently caress you too, game. Plus, I hate the way they restricted DW characters to their EX weapons - some of the movesets are either real bad or real dumb and I hate them. Looking at you, Liu Shan and Xu Chu.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
Yeah I think WO4U is not exactly balanced well. At max promotions with the Slay and Absorption elements, it's trivial to chew through any enemy in the final tower. EXCEPT for when an officer hits you with a musou attack - then you get one-shotted. And that's the only way you'll die. And there's no reason they couldn't make the X weapons cost only 5 Personal Materials apiece instead of 10, ten crystals instead of 20, and 1 million gems instead of 1.5m. Plus the rewards from the 13th tower are so random - I might get one material for each character, and one time I got 9 for the same character.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Koei Tecmo announced their lineup for TGS Online 2020, they have a Dynasty Warriors stream on Sept 27th where they plan to announce two new Dynasty Warriors games.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
Do later Musou games from DW7XL change from the gameplay of "musou attack takes out enough dudes to hit spawn limit, new dudes instantly spawn in" dogpile at higher levels?

It's hilarious, it just takes like 15 musous to get through the 600 dudes spawning 30-50 at a time

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

40 Proof Listerine posted:

Do later Musou games from DW7XL change from the gameplay of "musou attack takes out enough dudes to hit spawn limit, new dudes instantly spawn in" dogpile at higher levels?

It's hilarious, it just takes like 15 musous to get through the 600 dudes spawning 30-50 at a time

It's dependent on game settings to an extent (PC player here). DW8XL allows absurdly loving mental numbers of enemies on-screen at once if settings are maxed-out; some characters can consistently splatter ~200 peons with one Musou attack but still end up surrounded by another 200 in the few seconds it takes to go back to the idle animation (they're present all along, but in classic DW style can't/don't do anything while not rendered). This, along with using certain weapon attributes/character skills that increase the recharge rate for Musou bars with damage dealt/kills achieved and you can wind up in a potentially infinite chain of spamming Musou attacks against a peasant horde that never dwindles on some of the harder (usually DLC) stages, as long as you're close enough to the reinforcement gates.

Edit:
Sometimes just looking at the minimap in the corner during a Musou attack can be more satisfying than watching all the flashing lights and destruction -- just seeing a huge red mass disintegrate and splinter into a few red dots shows just how insanely loving powerful certain attacks are.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Sep 1, 2020

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Edit:
Sometimes just looking at the minimap in the corner during a Musou attack can be more satisfying than watching all the flashing lights and destruction -- just seeing a huge red mass disintegrate and splinter into a few red dots shows just how insanely loving powerful certain attacks are.
Yeah getting a little deeper into Legend and Conquest mode and dipping into Chaos, it's really apparent the disparities in how powerful some characters' Musous are compared to others in terms of coverage and damage multiplier

It's also nice to get a proper on-level weapon from an optional objective and start carving through mooks faster than waiting for musou animations again

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Edit:

That's how i played through most of my DX8:XL on the PS3 and sometimes i miss it. I'm often tempted to buy it again but knowing there are no real differences between the PC port and the PS3 port is the only thing stopping me.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ok it has to be 1 main line DW game and a ip based musou or Chinese only web/mobile game since Koei partnered up with Tencent.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Huh, I was expecting a SW5 announcement.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Ulio posted:

Ok it has to be 1 main line DW game and a ip based musou or Chinese only web/mobile game since Koei partnered up with Tencent.

Yeah there's two DW mobile games in the works right now, Tencent's and also Nexon's seldom-seen one that's a live service MMO adaptation of DW9. We're pretty close to next gen and we haven't had a new DW in some years, so maybe it really is 10?

DaveCG
Nov 5, 2009

Policenaut posted:

Yeah there's two DW mobile games in the works right now, Tencent's and also Nexon's seldom-seen one that's a live service MMO adaptation of DW9. We're pretty close to next gen and we haven't had a new DW in some years, so maybe it really is 10?

I sure do hope it’s one non-mobile game at least, it’d be a real dickpunch otherwise. Also more dynasty warriors gundam you cowards!

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Is SW4 Empires the latest Empire game that’s out? I always have fun with those and I’ve played SW4E to death.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Happy Hedonist posted:

Is SW4 Empires the latest Empire game that’s out? I always have fun with those and I’ve played SW4E to death.

Yes, so far there's been no mention of either an Xtreme Legends or Empires version of Dynasty Warriors 9. And neither Warriors Orochi or any of the DW spinoff games have ever gotten the Empires treatment.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I'd be loving astounded if DW9 got the XL treatment at this point.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
How would a Dynasty Warriors 9 Empire game even work if they wanted to do one?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
So this is a thing that got announced, apparently.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

New Hyrule Warriors coming out November 20th!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDMWRRAEogs

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

gently caress yeah, inject that poo poo straight into my veins!

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Commander Keene posted:

:emptyquote:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I'm surprised they're announcing this now. So I guess this isn't one of the 2 new Warriors games coming at TGS? Cool!

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The artstyle shift to Breath of the Wild is a massive upgrade, the other parts of the game were already quite fun.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I am so relieved that Zelda Dynsasty Warriors games are still a thing.

My dumb rear end didn't pay attention to the title of the video at first so I was like 'Whoa, this prequel looks great! There's combos and the attacks actually look interesting and you've made yet another game where you actually play as Zelda?! This is wild!'

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

A lot of people on twitter being disappointed that the new breath of the wild game is a musou game but those people are wrong

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Ah gently caress, more incentive to actually buy a Switch. gently caress. :(

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I’m playing through Hyrule Warriors right now, so I’m excited it’s getting a sequel of sorts. It’s maybe my favorite musou game, the combat and movement flow really smoothly and it looks fantastic in motion as a result. Super fun game.

I also bought WO4U on steam last night after drinking too much. It’s the first musou game I’ve played on PC and it’s pretty amazing looking in comparison. There are a poo poo ton more mooks on the screen and the frame rate is locked at 60fps.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yeah I love Hyrule Warriors a lot, even in comparison to the musou games I've played. I think they did a good job adding the boss-type characters into the mix too, to make the whole thing feel a little more zelda-y.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

A lot of people on twitter being disappointed that the new breath of the wild game is a musou game but those people are wrong

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Did the original Hyrule Warriors have couch co-op? Was that on the switch or was that last gen?

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Epi Lepi posted:

Did the original Hyrule Warriors have couch co-op? Was that on the switch or was that last gen?

Yes, I'm pretty sure the Wii U version did have couch co-op though one person had to use the gamepad screen.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Commander Keene posted:

:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Morter posted:

Ah gently caress, more incentive to actually buy a Switch. gently caress. :(

Hahaha, good luck finding one now!