Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Roshambo posted:

Is Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires enough better than XL that I should consider spending $10 more on the newer game?

XL has more in terms of sheer amount of content (story, etc.) and is probably better for first time players, but its Ambition mode is basically a very simplified version of Empires with no custom officers. Personally, I think Empires is worthwhile just to give the game a more strategic scope even with the same basic DW mechanics at its core. And, yes, to run around and conquer China with your own weird set of characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Son Ryo posted:

Wait, wait, what's this about real-time gameplay? I had Nobunaga's Ambition wishlisted because I loved one of the PS2 games, but if they turned it into Total War please let me know because I get completely wrecked every time things go real-time in those games.

I wouldn't be remotely afraid of that.

The battle system isn't as complex as anything from Total War and you can easily fight on the strategic map most of the time.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

RentACop posted:

I guess ROTK 13 is SORTA like the RPG ROTK games but not completely, so you get weird things like being a unit commander but controller your entire side during a battle. I'm not sure I'd grab it even if it was translated

From what little I can tell, I guess they want to appeal to people who like both kinds of ROTK games.

That said, I would like to know more about how the rest of the game works before deciding to buy an eventual English release.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

That's mostly true, although Dynasty Warriors 7 in particular did a significantly above average job at telling the actual story.

I also recall people saying the first One Piece game didn't rush through the contents it covered nearly as much.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

PureRok posted:

Capcom won. That's why SW4-2 is called SW4-2.

Wait...was that really because Capcom actually "won" the case or was it simply playing things safe?

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Internet Friend posted:

The Steam reviews are pretty damning of the Officer part of the game, saying there's little to do and you're promoted up to general ASAP with no chance to refuse. Then the AI lord makes you manage all cities but their own.

That seems kind of silly, but K-T will presumably make one of those "power-up kit" versions in order to address some of the issues involved.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

PureRok posted:

I don't think KT gets Steam sales. Most of their stuff doesn't go on sale, and the stuff that does is always on a tiny sale. I mean, look at Arslan: it's only 10% off. Really? Might as well not have bothered.

They currently have a few more Steam games at 50% off or so, which isn't far from the average discount for the summer sale as a whole.

Which doesn't excuse their being so stingy with Arslan. I assume DQH having no discount is decided by S-E as the publisher though.

wielder fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 30, 2016

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Dawnfire posted:

Any word on how ROTK 13 came out? I've been dying for a good officer entry for years, since ROTK 10, but steam reviews appear to be quite poor for this one. I'm not sure if most of that is due to people being unhappy about the lack of an English translation until now, or if it's genuinely not good. After how awful I heard 12 was, I'm not readily willing to take the plunge on this blind.

There's also the formerly high price as a contributing factor to the negativity, before it was recently discounted.

If nothing else, the western reviews on other sites seem to be more positive. Most aren't comparing the game to the previous titles though, with exceptions like this one. The reviewer is disappointed that it's not as good as the best ROTK games, but thinks it's a decent enough game in any case.

Naturally, there's a good chance that Koei will fix some of the more structural issues with the PUK version. Gotta milk the fans.

wielder fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 6, 2016

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Randallteal posted:

Do they normally release the power up kit as an expansion pack or as a standalone release? I played so much of 8 and 10, but I hated that we only got the PS2 versions with crappy resolution and no PUK. This is going to sound super lame, but once I loaded up the PC version of X with a (very rough) partial English translation patch and was blown away just by scrolling through the menus and seeing all of the portraits and event art at full res.

It seems they generally sell the PUK in both standalone and expansion pack formats, at least for the PC versions.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Policenaut posted:

Finally got into my new place and started up RTK13 on my PS4, are there seriously only something like six Historical missions for the entire game? I assume you unlock that dream match scenario after you beat the game once but come on!

Don't forget the DLC scenarios! There's like three of those.

The Hero Mode-specific DLC seems to go all the way to Zhuge Liang's death too

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Well, they're saying development is at 60% so they'll surely include more changes.

Either way, I hope it's brought over. Whatever makes the game better as a whole is good.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

The PC version of AoT came out today and it sounds like the port is as bad as Toukiden in any case.

Toukiden wasn't even running at 60 fps. This game at least seems to be capable of achieving that. The single worst unique issue with AoT here appears to involve the mouse and keyboard controls.

Sure, there's also the rather more typical Windows 10/Xbox One controller problems that are affecting some people, but that's why I am glad to still keep my 360-style pad. It has saved me a lot of headaches so far.

wielder fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 26, 2016

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Tae posted:

Judging by Tokiden 2, possibly very badly

It doesn't seem they're going that route, at least based on this:

"Know-how is shared within the company. Because the nature of the open world is different from that of Toukiden 2, that technology cannot be used as it is, but that which can be appropriated will be utilized."

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Achernar posted:

Should I pick up RoTK13 now or wait for a PUK that may or may not be coming?

To be honest, there are good reasons to justify either option.

In the meanwhile, here's a recent video about said PUK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhnVm8zyuDw

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

warhammer651 posted:

Do we know what the PUK is going to add to the game, aside from starting scenarios?

Not a full list:

-Fame/prestige system gives titles/names with different effects
-Multiple endings and epilogues depending on fame and playstyle (merchant, tyrant, etc)
-Free officers can raise their own armies without joining anyone else first
-Improved marriage, raising children into adulthood. Adoption is also possible.
-Battle tactics like ambush, trap, bribe and more have returned
-Fortresses can be built on the map to use tactics against the enemy and to recover your army's morale
-Player-created coalitions
-Modified duel and debate systems
-Natural disasters like flood and plague
-New characters, events and portraits
-Scenario events can be edited

wielder fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 24, 2016

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

I believe Capcom's lawsuit was about the remixing or MIXJOY system that allowed players to separately combine Xtreme Legends discs with the base DW and SW contents on consoles. That's why SW4-II was treated as an independent game.

However, I don't know how it has affected the way that T-K treats ROTK's PUK releases since those are primarily PC-based even in Japan, with the console ports being secondary. That said, I don't really expect Steam to offer an upgrade but I might be surprised.

wielder fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 25, 2016

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

We're getting the Sanada-themed Samurai Warriors spin-off:

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2017/02/16/samurai-warriors-spirit-of-sanada-releases-on-ps4-in-europe-on-26th-may/

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, instead they put a bunch of Japanese-exclusive characters that no one recognizes.

Also that ROTK 13 PUK is probably coming overseas. ROTK 13 sucks and I don't imagine this'll fix it but hey here it is.

If by "fix" you mean making it exactly the same as ROTK 10, then probably not. But I'll be happy if the game is otherwise improved when judged on its own merits.

Which seems to be the case, outside of complaints related to bugs that will hopefully be patched sooner or later.

wielder fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 6, 2017

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

JohnnyTreachery posted:

Is Spirit of Sanada actually new or just a TV tie-in SW4-III?

It looks like the game is more independent than SW4-II, in practice, even though many assets are predictably recycled.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Yes, the Empires games can often let you accomplish that much.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Feel free to talk about that. Btw, if you're coming from IV, then XIII is decent. It's better with the Power-Up kit though.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

I'd be more inclined to play Fate/Extella if trying to understand that extended property's lore wasn't so confusing.

Not that this type of game requires understanding all the lore, mind you, but ancient Asian history is easier to follow.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

I believe K-T said they made Musou Stars like that precisely because a Warriors Orochi 4 would be too bloated, but don't quote me on this. In the end, it sounds like the game may be interesting mostly for the novelty factor of its unusual mix of characters.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Never played Kessen II myself, but it looks hilarious. Still, I can endorse the third game as legit awesome. Pretty good gameplay and a nice retelling of the Nobunaga story.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Thing is, even DW7 (to say nothing of many of the previous games) shared movesets between characters to a greater or lesser degree. DW6 was neither the first nor the last time.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

The Power-Up kit does provide a significant improvement over the base release in terms of RPG opportunities, but I don't think it is strictly necessary in order to enjoy the game, unless you're coming from ROTK X and nothing less than that will do. If you're comparing XIII to Sphere of Influence, the gap in quality isn't huge, IMHO.

Also, considering that K-T rarely goes for crazy discounts...you could always get both and see it as buying a full game plus its expansion for $52 USD (possibly much less than that in some areas, due to regional pricing).

wielder fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 23, 2017

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Achernar posted:

So a standard TK port then?

No, their standard PC ports are often still playable. What I've just heard seemed worse than that (at least on a laptop). That said, there is a day one patch apparently coming out. No idea if that will fix performance.

They've been patching some of their games lately, but we'll just have to see what happens.

wielder fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 6, 2018

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Just for the sake of variety, I have seen more positive impressions from a few people elsewhere, particularly those playing on higher difficulties (it seems to make a difference in terms of AI behavior).

Beyond that...it's really going to come down to personal expectations about the game, especially whether or not the open world implementation is worthwhile as a rough proof of concept even if it's not up to date with current standards from more experienced developers yet, outside of purely technical issues like performance quibbles.

Jimbot posted:

Do you think there is room for improvement using this engine or is the whole thing just a bad idea?

There's always room for improvement on paper, I would say, depending on your patience as a player.

Bloodly posted:

The heart of a game where you'd create a character and try to live through the Three Kingdoms, making friends and alliances, choosing a kingdom, and seeing various events, is all there.

Except you can't actually create-a-character.(Yet.)

Wait for DW9 Empires, I assume. Unless they decide to incorporate that into the main game later on.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Davincie posted:

it already feels more like an empires game than a mainline, so im sure they could make a somewhat decent one of those, but for me the whole open world thing just ruins it. everywhere looks the same, doing anything involves a lot of boring traveling and all the missions are boring. hu lao gate for me for example just involved climbing a wall, accidentally bumping into zhang liao and then winning it without even getting near lu bu since defeating him worked as well

Have you used the fast travel options? Not saying that'll solve all your problems, but I'm curious. The rest sounds like a mix of open world jank and DW jank, where accidents can lead to weird outcomes or hilarious glitches.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Mr. Locke posted:

Like, critics usually don't give Warriors games the time of day, but even known Dynasty Warriors Apologists like Jim Sterling are calling it worst game of the series and to be avoided at all costs, and I mean DW6 still haunts many of us to this day.

If Jim Sterling is really saying or implying that, it sounds like a lot of hyperbole.

It's one thing to say the game might be disappointing or isn't taking full advantage of the open world concept. But no, this isn't remotely as bad as DW6. Quite a few arguments could be made to counter that statement.

I suppose he's not a fan of the weapon changes (although it would be misleading to say that makes everyone a full clone) or the existence of season passes and DLC (he's spoken against those practices enough times), but the combat itself isn't a step back.

wielder fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 12, 2018

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

TheFlyingLlama posted:

iirc he takes the removal of weapons and selling characters as DLC way harder than most fans will too

While I do think the weapon issue merits a degree of criticism, though not ultra-harshly in light of the combat system being modified...the main game has 83 existing characters and 7 new ones. The idea of selling an additional four new characters on top of that is a sign of our late capitalist times and all that, but not exactly an unforgivable offense.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

Does this ever actually happen?

Expecting everything to be fixed (or changed, to put it more neutrally, given differences of perception and opinion) is unrealistic, since so many of the things various people say they want would take either a proper expansion or a free content update, neither of which will come immediately. Patches are meant to address less resource intensive concerns and I doubt even all of those will be solved instantly. No idea if the performance troubles are due the engine itself or just lack of optimization.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

lurksion posted:

Better be zero pop in for that (I doubt it)

That happens in the console versions too, so...I don't expect the port, even if it is functional, to get rid of them.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

It's certainly got teething problems. Everyone should be able to agree about that. Whether those ruin the whole game for you, which is the key question, is something that can be debated.

Regarding terrain...there actually are some unique landmarks, which are better rendered than many typical Dynasty Warriors stages, but the game as a whole definitely doesn't look beautiful enough to justify the performance issues in terms of graphics. I can only conclude it's due to the use of expensive lighting effects without fully optimizing their underlying engine and still having some other technical bugs left. I hope some of these things are fixed with patches, but I guess certain limitations might be hard to overcome.

As a side note...it's funny that Sterling apparently played the game on normal, which does seem to have notorious braindead AI behavior problems at the moment that are far less present in the higher difficulty settings. Not that this should even be the case to begin with, to be quite honest, and that is also something they can address with patches in the near future...but it's interesting to note how such things can color the player's experience.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

big nipples big life posted:

A KT game has a bad PC port? :wow:

This implies the game would have superior performance on consoles than PC...which doesn't necessarily appear to be the case. I think the root of the performance issues isn't something limited to any particular version.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Holy poo poo, look at those Quake-era texture resolutions on Xiahou Yuan's garb.

Honestly the backlash thus far has put me right off buying DW9; I was even going to buy it today but then I saw Sterling's vid and all the other negative opinions on the game. Normally I'd just say "aw gently caress y'all" and buy it anyway but wow. This is some harsh poo poo being thrown at the game.

Watching Sterling has its benefits but he isn't the alpha and the omega of game reviews or impressions. There are a number of positive reviews too, some more reasonable than others (to be clear, anyone calling it a "masterpiece" is certifiably insane).

Silly title aside, this dude has a pretty decent overview and explains why the game works for him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnAwU23aEfs

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Tae posted:

There's also contracts that just say "don't use this outside of Japan" because gently caress You.

Which is a completely bizarre thing to do. I can only guess it's probably more likely that in most cases the voice acting contracts demand additional negotiations and higher payments for that, rather than outright banning the release.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

I am VERY curious to see how they do 9 Empires. The open map feels extremely suited towards it.

I hope we do get DW 9 Empires after all. It would be a huge shame if that doesn't happen, since the open world would benefit the most from the added customization, mild RPG elements and light strategy options provided.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

At this point it's honestly not worth trying to argue at length about why I think the game isn't as super terrible as people like Jim are loudly shouting to the heavens (for example, his views on the combat system are too shallow), but I will readily admit that it is definitely in a sloppy and partially disappointing state.

With that in mind, I would also not recommend rushing to buy DW9 right now. Even so, there are still folks who are having more fun than the negative amount of joy reflected in Sterling's video. Which is why I wouldn't live or die by his impressions. At least K-T has already started to try and patch the performance on PS4, so I hope that they will continue to try to clean things up.

wielder fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Nice, this should be a good return to the proven basics after the DW9 debacle (especially since they'll use the DW8 content, no?).

I never played that Troy title developed by one of the K-T branches, but I am still interested in seeing more Greek mythology in the context of the Orochi games.