Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
These games are so drat silly. I love em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
This is just the same thing for soul calibur isn't it? We don't buy these games to play them. We buy them to play dress up.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

After finishing a binge and becoming emperor of all china, I can confirm a couple things. The game will automatically sprinkle other people's CAWs into your game. I was running into the stock preteen squeaky anime girls (with the alluring voiceset. :gonk:) about my third conquered territory in. I believe the default settings for CAWs are on, provided you're not doing one of the historical campaigns, at which point you pretty much have to select who they replace in edit mode.

As for what you're supposed to do, keep raising your fame levels so you can tell your ruler what to do without him/her calling you retarded and told to shut the gently caress up. From there, just start invading.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

It took me way, way too long to figure out how to raise leadership level in DW8:XL

Speaking of ambition mode, anyone know what the game gives you for doing 30 and 100 (:gonk:) battle chains? I'm curious if it's worth my patience at all.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

TheTofuShop posted:

IIRC 30 is Shadow Runner and 100 is Red Hare, but I may be wrong

Oh gently caress that. I don't care nearly enough when I have BATTLE PANDA.

Also, Koei managed to surprise me a bit with it's dialogue today. Among Zhuge Liang telling me how vital I am to his plans to end the chaos, and Xu Huang telling me how great a warrior I am, Wang Yi straight up tells me to visit her tent tonight. I didn't think Koei was ever that forward with generic dialogue. (For someone who wasn't No from samurai warriors.)

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

You find random elephants in the barracks dispatches, I found out. And yeah, got GOLDEN PANDA for getting the emperor in with accordance with my maxed fame or some poo poo.

Also, max level is 150. Hit that with my boy Lu Meng with his crazy rear end wide normal attack string. Also dumping money into the academy since I was richer than the emperor with selling off duplicate animals.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Ah, right. Basically, you have to use your bodyguard's 'special' ability under the commands in the start menu during battle. They all do minorly useless things but you can spam most of them onto a single base or unit right in front of you and watch the leadership level jump like seven times per mission. (To be clear, not the first three commands, the fourth. You'll see 'FEAT' above your head if you're doing it right.)

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

You get +30 feat for a successful bodyguard ploy, so yeah.

Ditto on Zhang Liao. I heard him and I was like "Nooo, Liang, dude. What happened to you? Why are you privately telling me you want a different hat because people think you're scary? Don't be a wuss."

Also turning horses in a circle looks hilariously stupid now, especially if you've got a spear weapon cause it looks like you're stuck on a tether that's swinging both you and the horse around.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Don't get too collection happy on officers, by the way. Once you build the palace (I refuse to spell its name) and talk to the minister All but about 30 or so of your officers will leave you, and you have to fight them again Basically try to bumrush on getting good weapons set up. You need the four facilities that are listed at 50, which takes quite a bit of materials grinding. (It helps if you have someone overseeing the farmland, because sometimes when you talk to them they say they found something and'll give you about ten or so materials. Also use the barracks whenever you can for extra supplies.)

EDIT: If it isn't obvious by now, I'm basically having an insomnia induced playthrough at the moment. Checking and posting during loading screens.

Drakenel fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Mar 27, 2014

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Bodyguard limits is raised through leadership level. Literally.

Also I've learned to never give Ling Tong command. Ever.

Drakenel fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 27, 2014

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

How do you get good weapons set up? Is there some sort of strategy to reforging? It seems like it's just use up 3 random weapons to get 2 random weapons.

Reforging isn't what you want to do. Upgrade the blacksmith till you get Weapon Fusion. Try to get the augments that increase attack power and the one that increases attack speed. (The augments that level go up to ten. Tenth level attack speed is hilariously overpowered)

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Lu Bu destroy you game, man.

Ambition is so, so grindy. I'll probably never play it again once I finish it. Can't wait for empires...

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Got very boring very fast. It literally was medieval battlefront... and it didn't really work. There was almost no reason to play melee.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Huh. I only just now realized that holding the 'call horse' button actually makes you automatically jump on when it gets near you.

Also holy poo poo Zhang Jiao's voice actor is loving this poo poo.

Drakenel fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 16, 2014

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Oh hey, I bought dynasty warriors 7 empires a long time ago... Enjoy it, but if I recall correctly you can do online co-op for conquest battles. I could be persuaded to help someone. Don't have a ps3 mic, but I do have a PC mic for skype and nonsense.

Edit: While I'm thinking about it, if I recall correctly getting multiplayer to work isn't straightforward. You have to enable it in the options menu and then when you're gearing up for a fight, press start on the preparations screen and when you hit begin you'll start looking for another player, or invite someone to join you. I'm not 100% sure as I've never done it myself, but it's what I've heard second hand.

Drakenel fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 25, 2014

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Flytrap posted:

So I'm thinking my favorite part about Empires is the character creation. I think eventually the entire cast will be replaced with characters from different franchises.

It's like soul calibur. No one buys it to play the game. They buy it to play dress up.

Incidentally, if you're ok sharing your PSN name, I'll help you conquer china in battle.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Speaking of questions of orochi 3, I recall the old version, (I had it on xbox 360 for a while) had a dumb thing with multiplayer when I wanted to do it with a friend. Turns out you cannot play any mission on multiplayer until you beat it in singleplayer. Both players must do this. It's dumb, and kind of defeats the purpose. I was curious if ultimate does the same thing. (Getting it for ps3)

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I'm pretty surprised at how fun O3U is. The one complaint I have is that I'm not really sure why I should use a regular Musou instead of the 3-person team musou you get when you bring all three characters out. Is there some disadvantage I'm missing?

The enemy might underestimate you when they point and laugh at your tiny musou.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Playing through WO3 ultimate, holy poo poo I forgot about Liu Shan. He gives none of the fucks. He'd give negative fucks if that didn't mean he'd have to give one at all.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Maleketh posted:

PS4 has no framerate issues that I've noticed. There are a couple of missions where the AI bugs out, but that's about it.

I found one of those. Chi Bi level the AI likes to spin around in circles on one of the ramps leading to the shore.

Also, gently caress all y'all. Lu Meng is my boy. The greatest this land will ever know.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

^^^^ Correct me if I'm wrong, but Like japan during similar times, Guy on guy was all the rage, but women having the choices and the fun? Pffft.

SirPhoebos posted:

Hi guys, like my new avatar? :awesome:

It lacks a cross eyed Jiang Wei screaming BENEVOLENCE like a spaz.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

McDragon posted:

Also I hope the stage creation thing lets you have an army of Lu Bus fight an army of Lu Bus. I feel like if a custom stage thing in one of these games where you can't do that would be missing a trick or two.

Considering they removed the limit for changing officers (but not their voice lines as far as I know) you can totally do that. I'm more partial to an army of Dong Zhuos facing down an army of Yoshimoto Imagawas.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Oh my goodness some of the burst character designs.

Look at this motherfucker. Chen Gong has nothing on Li Jue

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Next warriors Orochi, hyrule warriors characters get involved.

You know you all want it.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

CAW and chronicle mode? Do elaborate, those who have gotten it. It may be the deciding factor for a purchase from me.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Static Rook posted:

I'm assuming there's cross-play like DW8XL, so anybody who wants to add me feel free. My PSN is Static_Rook I've got SW4 and DW8XL, and will be picking up WO3U this weekend.

I've got DW8XL, and WO3U. I'd be happy to play co-op, but mind you it has a stupid thing where you have to beat the level in order to play co-op on it. (At least, WO3U does.)

I'll send you one as DuCkSPANKER2 Mind you i don't have a ps3 mic, so if you want to talk, have to use Skype. (Or, amusingly, if you have a 360 too that'd work as well)

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Man, seeing the dub complaints makes me realize that I am an insanely fast reader. Like, I can read everything that pops up on screen and think it's on screen too long.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Szurumbur posted:

Also Nezha defeating Lu Bu in battle is really weird, they could've at least have some cutscene or something because it's getting a bit funny whenever I run through the stages with them. A cutscene would get annoying to skip fast, though, so maybe that's for the best.

Seriously. The game is all "URGH HE'S SO STRONG AND UNSTOPPABLE"

"OH NO, HERE HE COM-" *Musou*

:saddowns: "How can I lose to a human?!"

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Man, I realize I probably don't understand japanese culture at all. Why am I brushing Mitsuhide's hair and getting piggyback rides down a mountain? (Chronicle mode is a strange beast)

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Also of note: Toshiie trying to imitate Keiji and getting Kiyomasa to go :stare: Ina dueling me to a draw despite me whupping her rear end in battle about a dozen times. Nobuyuki sanada giving all kinds of incest vibes. Getting to have villainous laughter alongside Nobunaga. Having no choice but to throw flowers at oichi despite knowing drat well she's married, and throwing a tantrum when she pretends to not hear you proclaim your love at first sight. (What the hell?)

Drakenel fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Oct 30, 2014

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

Okay how the gently caress do you beat Battle of Itsukushima in WO3U? :psyduck: That's the stage where as soon as you start, the entire battlefield gets covered with a poison mist and you have to go with Fu Xi to the Dragon Shrine all the way on the other side of the map. The Mystic Army splits in two, and if either Fu Xi or Kaguya die, it's a defeat.

Be really goddamn quick and hump the back of Fu Xi's head when you're not immediately trying to murder an officer, which you need to be doing in less than 5 seconds.

By that I mean follow him around so he doesn't get murdered by peons the second he's off screen thanks to auto damage.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Lotish posted:

What exactly is "ambition mode?" Something about making a village or city and building it up a certain way by fighting battles?

And you get to have everyone awkwardly hit on you.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

It's kind of funny to see koei slowwwwly start to reveal that Shu wasn't that great to begin with and Wei actually were being sort of progressive for the times.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Fereydun posted:

yep this worked. thank you so much because holy moly the default is bizarre

also: this is totally the ps3 version and kinda ugly and also super chaotic on the battlefields
it's so great

So wait, the ps4 version will wind up better or did they just not give a poo poo about graphics looking the same across generations?

This will probably affect my purchasing decision.

Drakenel fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 27, 2015

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Oh my GOD the engrish in this game. I am rolling. Misplaced words, wrong order, flat out using the wrong terms. Oh sure, nothing got past their spellcheck, but that's hardly the issue.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Speedball posted:

I've never even been able to tell what the hell the original wooden ox actually did historically.

What bloodly said, but supposedly they could lock the wheels by pulling a switch hidden in the mouth so that they could just abandon it in the event of an attack and the enemy would have such difficulty moving it they could just take it back on the counterattack.

Supposedly.

Drakenel fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 28, 2015

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Officer relations DO decay over time, there's a tutorial popup about it, but as usual, people kind of ignore it. :v:

Basically check on it every now and then. It'll drop to F relations on it's own, so yes, banquet every now and then to placate your whiny subordinates.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Nemo2342 posted:

Don't forget to Upload your officer so it can annoy other players! You can also download other people's officers and add them to your collection, if you find any that aren't terrible monstrosities.

Hey, I try to. With actual chinese names and everything!

Though some are just the same armor sets because I can be unimaginative at times when I want filler officers for custom kingdoms.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Happy Hedonist posted:

8E is so ridulously easy on normal, I'm quickly losing interest. I guess I should restart on hard? Should I use the same officer I created for normal, or create a new one? I may just pick up WO3, it sounds more appealing at this point.

Wo3 ultimate is a good game.

Hyrule warriors is still the best outing out right now, really. But not everyone has a wii-u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Silly CAW units popping up little rebellions all over the place.

So far I've executed the majority of the teen titans and the final fantasy 10 cast. It's kinda funny to have tidus begging me to join my kingdom after I executed yuna and everyone else in the game that they put in.