Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LoudLoudNoise
Dec 29, 2008

Since I last posted in the previous DW thread, I've picked up DW7 for the PS3 and DWNext on the Vita. Holy hell I'm completely engrossed in both games. It's like scratching an itch I didn't know I had. I love the vaguely historical element to the games and always have Wikipedia up for quick references on characters/officers I come across on the battlefield. In DWNext, I especially like the gameplay feature of capturing smaller bases to support my army. The touch-screen "conflicts" aren't alot of fun but are over quick enough to not bother me.

With that said, I'd like to try out other games in the franchise or even style, and so I've been looking at Bladestorm, Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes, and Warriors Orochi 3. The price for WO3 is a bit off-putting since I only paid about $25-30 for the two DW games I picked up. Any recommendations on where I should go next?

Also, does anyone know of a good book that goes through early Chinese history that isn't ROTK, perhaps something a bit more contemporary?

I appreciate any suggestions, I know I'm just asking alot of questions at this point. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LoudLoudNoise
Dec 29, 2008

Chortles posted:

Define "early Chinese history" yet "a bit more contemporary" here?

(I can on the other hand hook you up if you want to see a hella lotta different takes on the ROTK/DW plot NOT done by KOEI...)

Oh I meant something written in the past 20-30 years about the Three Kingdoms era instead of a literary classic written over six hundred years ago (Romance of the Three Kingdoms).

LoudLoudNoise
Dec 29, 2008

Chortles posted:

At this point, that's a LOT of anime and manga that would fit your definition, unless you meant actual prose? Note though that (not surprisingly) most of that is coming out of Japan, but for more recent stuff from a Chinese perspective I would suggest Chen Mou's The Ravages of Time manhua and 2010's live-action TV series Three Kingdoms, both of which take great amounts of creative license for the in-my-opinion better.

For example, from the TV show there's Guan Yu encountering Cao Cao after Chibi (seriously these subsequent 8 minutes are great melodrama), and Liu Bei's wedding night to Sun Quan's sister ("Little Sister Sun" in the show, as her given name is unknown to history and KOEI merely popularized Shangxiang).

Be advised, Liu Bei is drunk throughout that entire second scene...

Actually I'd love to check out films or television series about the Three Kingdoms. I'll look into Three Kingdoms since the stories should be expansive (by nature of being a television show). Thanks!

LoudLoudNoise
Dec 29, 2008

The Sony store link for DW7E says it's 10.8MB. I understand the error, but is that the filesize then, 10.8GB?

LoudLoudNoise
Dec 29, 2008

Croccers posted:

So out of 7, 8 and 7 Empires. What is the best one to grab. Last one I played was 3

Get DW7 for now and pick up DW8 when it's out on PS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LoudLoudNoise
Dec 29, 2008

OB_Juan posted:

My roomate was a bid Zelda fan, and picked up Hyrule Warriors. It's pretty great, but he hasn't played ANY of the previous Warriors games. I think he's sold on the idea now. I've got a 360 and he has a ps3. It looks like DW8XL is still the new hotness. Does anyone know if it's better for either console? Does XL just have extra content?

I've not played a DW game since the Xox, and just found out I miss them!

Chiming in a bit late but for someone who is new to the franchise, I think DW7 would be the best to start with since it gives much more context for the battles than DW8 does.