Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I figure this is more or less the right place.

If i want to get a RotTK game, which one would be the best to start with? PC platform would be great, PS2 is possible, too. I'll need an English version, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I know nothing, really, about the RotTK games, so i have no concept of officer-living and ruler-only. I guess either is okay.
Are there any significant differences between X and XI or is it just basically a graphical update?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well, that was a lot of info on RotK on the last page. Thanks to all of you.

I decided to take a look at RotK XI (they seem to be using Dynasty Warriors 4 models in the game?) and am working my way through the tutorial alongside a random game i opened up. I could swear somewhere in the Tutorial (and somewhere on the internet) i read that you could put your cities / forces under AI control for some time and take control back after a while.

I'll be damned if i can find the option. Does anyone know where it is? Google failed me on this.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

tooooooo bad posted:

Too bad that track never shows up in DW8. At least it has My Bad Fellow from DW4. :frogc00l:

Holy poo poo, yes. The best track.

I still have the fondest memory of DW4, just because every single time this song came up in a stage (and it was always impeccably timed), i got so ridiculously pumped that the experience is seared into my memory.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm willing to bet that pre-rendered HD videos is like a third of that size.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Perdido posted:

I've been slogging through Ambition Mode with Xiahou Yuan and there hasn't been a lot of slowdown, but holy gently caress has there been a lot of phasing in with mooks.

Spamming his EX attack basically results in a horde of mooks dying, and a new mob appearing right on top of them. Rinse and repeat like 5 times.

Schrödinger's mooks. Trapped in a perpetual state of existing or not, until you observe them dying.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Do we have an ETA for Steam Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends Complete Edition yet?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Any one got the link to that chinese site that was basically a hub list of tools for any Musou/Warriors game? I got things like the save editors for Samurai Warriors 2, a camera angle patch for Warriors Orochi, and all that stuff from there.

They were collected from all over with links to the BBSes where they were from, i think. Something with "san" in the name?

/edit: Wait, i think i found it: http://sangokusi.x0.com/
Japanese site, i confused it with the guy who made a lot of tools for the musou games, Van, who's chinese.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 16, 2014

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Can't seem to find anything about it on the web. Has anyone seen a problem like this?

Seems like certain textures are just missing in certain camera angles, and in others they flicker like crazy.

Maybe i can fix this with some graphics option?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Seems permanent. If i turn the camera in pic 2 back to pic 1, the textures are gone again.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
What's the deal with learning skills? I seem to only be able to do it on like every 10th officer i defeat.

I'm pretty sure i defeated 5 or so officers via Storm Rush, but only got 1 Mighty Roar skill so far.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
How do the bonds work in Ambition?

Do i have to use the guy/gal as a bodyguard? If so, how to inrease the bodyguard points?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Stelas posted:

You increase your Bodyguard level by using orders. That isn't pressing the d-pad to switch between guard and attack, that's actually pausing the game and going to Bodyguard Skills. Fire off everyone's unique at the start of the battle, then keep using Point Defence as you move around the map, and you'll probably jump 15 levels in a single go.

By bodyguard level you mean the Fee threshold, to 'equip' stronger bodyguards, right? You increase your maximum Fee by using orders?

And what about that Leadership level? Where do i get EXP for that, or is that what you meant with bodyuard level? Also, what does it actually do?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
What exactly are the Ally Bonus goals in Ambition mode? Aside from impossible more often than not.

Does a completed goal just give you a random bonus officer at the end of the stage or what?

And screw the "kill officer who you juggled for 5+ seconds" goal.The game's not precise enough for that. Also the "have 1000KOs before killing an officer" is ridiculous, it's only even remotely possible in Duels.

Oh yeah, is there a write-up on all the bond mechanics somewhere? Gaining, results, events etc.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Here's a random tidbit:
Gather Supplies (the time extension skill) adds one second for every three KOs. So 180 KOs get you another minute. 1,000 KOs get you a little over 5 and a half minutes.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Speedball posted:

Sweet. Kill lots of fools and get more time for future missions.

It profits alot from leveling the skill up and being able to use it multile times. It doesn't count the KOs since you last used the skill, just your KO counter in the lower right. The longer you wait to use it, the better it gets.
Maximum time limit seems to be 15 minutes, though.

Also, i did some experimenting with bonds.
Bodyguard duty for one fight fills the bar by a tenth. Whatever you do during the mission means jack. Ordering bodyguards around, doing musous with them, whatever, nothing matters or increases bond, just the presence alone.
Also, whoever said that using the skills would get bodyguards skill exp is a filthy liar.

Talking to people in the village (as in, the 'supervisors') also does squat. No effect. Not sure if the vilalge banter has any effect on anything but it sure as hell doesn't strengthen bonds.
Having people (on your side?) in battles with you does increase bonds ever so slightly, by about one 100th of the bar. Not the most efficient way to do things, though.
Oh yeah, one of the 'scripted' dialogues with a bodyguard fills the bond bar by about one 20th. I don't know how or what triggers them though.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 18, 2014

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
What's this about a second part? When does it happen?

Should i just throw my 600 generic officers into the skillcinerator before that happens when they'll be gone afterwards anyways?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Shima Honnou posted:

The weird thing is that doesn't seem consistent. I have an 8 core AMD CPU and DW8 has run better for me than a lot of other games do.

It is REALLY inconsistent. I just got to Consecutive Battle #76 in Ambition mode and then, when i clicked next battle...

Black screen, crash. :tizzy:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

FUUUUUUUUCK

That was not worth it. Who thought that would be a good idea. Even on beginner that took hours and hours.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
gently caress the fortune hunter skill. You need to have over 1500 KOs before you defeat an officer to just get "a chance" at getting it?

Jesus, what a grind.

And what does "increase luck" even do?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Just finished a stage with 2200 KOs and i am still at level 0 in Fortune Hunter. Yup.

Also, i'm getting a strange back screen in Wu Story at Battle of Guangling. When i select "Change Officer" in the pre-battle portion, the screen chances to black, and not the crashy kind! I can at any time still press Start+Select to return to the main menu.
But it happens EVERY TIME i try to change officer (and nowhere else), and now i'm stuck with a terrible choice for this level. :(

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So, i was still wondering whether fortune hunter even does anything. So i fired up Cheat Engine and took a look at when the program checks the skill value during a stage. For example, your Havoc skill level is checked every single time you make an attack, sometimes multiple times.

The game only ever seemed to check Fortune Hunter to see if it's already level 20, to make it eligible for leveling up or not. Welp.

I even made a counter to check how many times the program reads my skills (for effect, not skill learning) and played during a whole stage.

I think Fortune Hunter might be a hoax, guys.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm not saying that i can't get it to level up (i got a point recently and equipped it for testing as you can see), i'm saying that the skill doesn't do jack poo poo, because the game never even checks for it.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Nurge posted:

I'm not doubting the values you pulled but there is the possibility that it only checks the skill once, at the start of the stage, and sets a straight up crit multiplier or whatever it's supposed to do somewhere else when doing so. Is that possible?

Sakurazuka posted:

'Luck' is more likely a hidden stat that it applies a direct modifier to. I assume that if you use the skills that give a bonus to defence or attack it never actually checks those during the game, either?

No, whenever you do any action or are in any situation where a skill might apply, the game checks each of your 4 equipped skills on whether they apply, and reads the current skill level when they do. Every time. Likely because you can change skills on the fly during battle and they can also increase at any time.

Here, i checked it with the attack/defense boosts and went to a random stage to clobber one officer:

Havoc is checked every time your weapon fires a "hit", whether you hit or not. Attack Boost is checked for every hit you land on each enemy. Defense Boost for every hit on you. Mighty Roar for every hit on an officer.

Fortune Hunter: never.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Special Weapons are a rip-off. I heard somewhere that you can get a rare weapon through that, and i'm gonna file this under 'false rumours', too.

The game actually generates a list of 8 weapons when you load the Special Weapons list, it doesn't generate them on the fly when you buy them. So i can take a look at what the weapons are before buying them via CheatEngine.
I just spent like 10 minutes just refreshing the Special Weapons list to see if there were rare (star) weapons mixed in. That's over 2000 generated weapons i checked.
Not a single one.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ooookay, dude. That's slightly creepy. :stare:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Being married aside, he's like three times her age!

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Captain Oblivious posted:

Daqiao and Xiaoqiao have always been creepy. They always, always look like they're 12 and are both married to dudes who look like they're in their late 20s.

It's just kind of something you have to deal with in Dynasty Warriors. Whether it's historically accurate or not it'd be nice if they'd twist things a little. :negative:

They got a little better over the games. I'd put them at like 15 now, the problem is more that they still act like kids.
On the other hand, that's why Xiaoqiao is one of my favorite chars to actually play. It's so exhilarating to see all these roidbergs scream and yell at each other sternly and pit their armies against each other in their oh so important struggle for important causes, only for the little hyper girl with a fan to come in, kick up a storm, and run out just seconds later, leaving hundreds of men strewn across the ground with an upbeat "Come back later and try again! ^_^" ringing in their ears.

Back to these bond things: So far, most of them have been either "I want to look at you forever", "I want to talk to you forever" or "I want to be with you forever" in varying degrees of creepiness, but i think i found one that tops them all.

That's hella on the nose, man. :stare:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Have you heard of this new thing called Google?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Kingdoms_(TV_series)

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

PureRok posted:

Anyone know how to get gems quicker? Setting it to Hard gets you 5 (+5) gems per battle in Ambition mode, but in order to get enough gems to just to make two "ultimate" level 4 weapons it would take 20 battles (1120 gems). There are 82 (if I counted correctly) weapons. To make 2 of each weapon would take 192 battles straight (or 91,840 gems). That's assuming there isn't an upper limit of the amount of gems you can get per battle. This doesn't take into account the extra gems from bonds or partially completed weapons, of course, but that's still a lot.

Setting it to the hardest difficulty seems unreasonable. I mean, you get 10 (+10) per battle, but it takes a lot longer to kill anything. It doesn't even cut the amount of required battles in half; it lowers the battles to 136, only a 30% decrease.

I'm considering just cheating in the gems, because that isn't really the type of grind I'm into, to be honest.

E: And it would take 429 battles in sequence on Beginner difficulty. Even at 15 seconds per battle that's 1.7 hours nonstop, ignoring load times and menus in between.

Gems cap at 9999, by the way.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Jeez, if you're really short on Gems, do this:

Use CheatEngine,attach it to the Launch.exe process, then Ctrl+C this:

code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<CheatTable>
  <CheatEntries>
    <CheatEntry>
      <ID>57782</ID>
      <Description>"Max Gems when fusing"</Description>
      <Color>80000008</Color>
      <VariableType>Auto Assembler Script</VariableType>
      <AssemblerScript>[ENABLE]
assert(Launch.exe+24B116,81 F9 0F 27 00 00 77 02 8B F9 33 C9)
Launch.exe+24B11C:
 db EB
[DISABLE]
Launch.exe+24B11C:
 db 77
</AssemblerScript>
    </CheatEntry>
  </CheatEntries>
</CheatTable>
... and Ctrl+V it into Cheat Engine. Tick the checkbox next to "Max Gems when fusing" and you'll, well, have max gems when fusing.

/edit: This changes literally one byte in the game code. It's that easy.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 29, 2014

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Unlucky7 posted:

Will DWGR have a physical release in the states?

Man, for a second i thought i ended up in the Dark Souls thread and got very confused.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Don't play ambition mode before the story. The story will auto-level your unused characters to more or less appropriate stage levels, so if you finish a faction's story mode, most of its characters will be above level 20, some above 30.

AFTER that, go into ambition mode and enjoy your pre-leveled character. Chances are you'll have some three or four star weapons, too, so you don't hack away with like 5 attack.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Jibo posted:

Maleketh posted:

Gonna miss Yueying having a weapon that isn't irredeemably bad.
Pretty much, yeah. I don't understand why the keep taking her dagger axe away. Does she have some kind of historical affiliation with bows or something? Because they gave her a bow in DW6 too if I recall correctly.

Uh, DW6 Yueying was, alongside Sun Shangxiang (the other bow user), the most brokenly good character in that game. That bow was murder incarnate.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'll play the game if Lu Bu is in it.

I don't care how you make it work, just do it.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

5er posted:

Ah ok. Japanese Cabellas with dinosaurs.

I'm aware of the Titans show; I'm not sure how the hell anyone would expect a Monster Hunter-like out of that.

:confused:

Cabela's are pretty much the polar opposite of Monster Hunter games. In one of them, you go and shoot down 35 fleeing rabbits in a minute "for dinner" (like anyone would). On the other, you hunt one gigantic-rear end aggressive monster rabbit for 35 minutes, to use its fur as armor, its bones as weapons, its organs to brew potions and its ears to wear as a hat.

Might as well describe Dynasty Warriors as a hunting game, you're constantly hunting enemy officers down, and Lu Bu is hunting you

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Zhao Yun has always been the poster boy for DW, tho, just like Yukimura is for Samurai Warriors

edit: it took me like two years to stop constantly confusing him with Zhou Yu

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yes. While i appreciate Magoichi's moveset in the Basara games, i like DW's smug unsuccessful womanizer character for him more.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Finally, the skeleton wheels will be able to break out of their Dark Souls niche and star in a new game

Can't wait for this stage in Berserk Musou

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Largepotato posted:

I like how the Qiao sisters are 14th & 55th.

I can believe it, because Xiao is great and Da is bleh.

Now, if you tell me they're ranked the other way around, we have a problem