Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Heian Basara. Everybody just sits around writing dynamic poems at each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Samurai Sanders posted:

That would be seriously awesome (especially for me since I lived in the city where the last conflict in it took place), there need to be way more games set in that period. The problem is that there was nowhere near the number of soldiers and stuff in that conflict.

I have a feeling they can take liberties and fudge the numbers in a game with a main character who uses 6 electricity swords while on a motorcycle horse.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

I dunno, there are still limits. There were really not that many battles in the meiji restoration. That said, there have been a few pretty good Shinsengumi related games in the past, I played Fu'un Shinsengumi but as you can see, it is a VERY small thing, mostly breaking into people's houses and killing them.

Fair enough. Shinsengumi Basara would be sweet though.

Maybe it'll be something with the Genpei War then?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

If anyone sees a giant, punching Nobunyaga named Wiggles running around, that's my dude that I released on the world.
He will almost certainly be spamming musou.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Policenaut posted:

I know absolutely nothing about Kamen Rider but this looks kind of cool, I feel like I need a primer for this. The dude with the trench coat who talks with a robot voice and the guy with a diamond for a head who's also in the YT embed image at the end both seem neat.

Come to the tokusatsu thread and we will be more than happy to show you the wonderful world of men in spandex fighting for the enjoyment of children!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3541221

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Banpresto and Koei need to team up for Super Robot Warriors.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Suicide Pacmen posted:

Has there been any word on a new sengoku basara? I loved the one that we got on ps3 and put way more time in it than any 'X warriors' game.

Edit: oh, my bad. The next comes out early 2014. Praying we get it translated!

You'd probably have better luck praying for Yakuza 5 to come out in English. That's another thing that probably won't happen. :(

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Next Warriors Orochi needs to just throw in the anime characters too.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Do we know if the PS4 and Vita versions will be cross-save?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Is Dragon Quest Heroes different from the usual formula at all? I haven't really kept up with the thing at all.

I mean, I'm going to get it regardless since I haven't played a Musou in a long time and I'll buy anything with DQ in the name, but it would be nice to know.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, it's a lot slower and has more of a JRPG focus with magic spells you can charge to increase their strength, monster taming, real boss fights, a DQ8 tension system, and a lot of defensive missions where you're protecting things rather than just clearing out maps. You go into battles with a party of four, who you can freely swap between, and can level them up, buy skills, get new weapons and gear for them. There's a built-in fast travel system too so you can spend MP to warp to certain points across the map too. It's basically a JRPG molded into the Warriors formula.

Oh drat. That sounds super loving rad.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Tae posted:

I think the main criticism of Dragon Warriors is that the maps are relatively small for a Warriors game, but otherwise nobody would say it was a Musuo game if the developer was kept secret.

Like, Gundam 3 small? Or somehow even smaller?

I remember Gundam 3 having pretty drat small maps.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've heard it's complicated in the Paradox sort of way. Maybe not to the same degree as them, but somewhere in the ballpark.

I'm definitely going to record a bunch of the PC version Friday, and maybe I'll stream some too.

I'll post about it in here when I do, if people still want to know more about the game.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Policenaut posted:

For whatever reason, Twitch doesn't allow archiving PS4-based streams and that's the only way I can stream the game.

I thought they fixed that a while ago. You may have to go to twitch on the computer to change it though.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

The tutorial scenario? Or the first proper one?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Oh dear. I'm probably going to be completely terrible at the game if it ramps up that quickly.

Still pretty excited though.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Maaaaan, Nobunaga is taking so long to unlock on Steam. :(

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/638751527818031104

Oh. That's unfortunate.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

grrarg posted:

Nobunaga's Ambition is on Steam now. Dunno why Koei tweeted that. It unlocked at the standard 10am Pacific daily rollover.

$49.79 (-$10 off)plus three free DLC scenarios for the first week of release. 6.1gb download.

They tweeted it because they said it was coming out at 9am Pacific and two people complained about it on twitter and also I was disappointed privately.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Just made a custom clan and characters and started off on a tiny-rear end island on Extreme difficulty.

It went about as poorly as you would expect.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I just lost 6 hours to Nobunaga's Ambition. Like I sat down, and suddenly it's 3AM.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Finally got around to uploading that video of my friend and me fumbling around with create-a-clan and create-an-officer in Nobunaga's Ambition. It's not great, but...

Here it is.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

Your voice should be as loud as the drums in your intro brah, balance your audio

Oh wow. I'm not sure how I missed it in that video. Sorry. I'm not usually that bad at audio stuff.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I hope Nioh is good, because it is extremely my poo poo.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Drakenel posted:

Kind of excited for dragon quest warriors, but... I certainly hope it's not all generator defense missions and enemies only come in from portals. A bit of contradictory information out there that made it sound like a tower defense game for a bit.

It really seems like fighting the famous boss monsters is the main point of the game. Not super Musou like, which will be a nice change.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Rutibex posted:

I wouldn't complain if they didn't already have a Japanese PS3 version of the game. They could just slap the localization from the PS4 version on it and call it a day, how hard could it be to port it?

From current circumstances, it seems like it's hard enough that it is not profitable for them to release that version of the game.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I kinda wish they would put out a demo for Dragon Quest, if only because I want to play it real bad and don't want to wait two weeks.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

I want a demo so I can figure out if it's bad or not. It could be fun, but the gameplay videos so far look pretty....boring.

Well, I'll probably stream some out on release day, and record some footage the day after, if that sounds like it will help.

To me it looks almost like a musou/strikeforce hybrid, mostly. And that sounds dope.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

Weirdly they have it at the demo kiosks at Gamestop I gave it a good half hour it was fun and the party member swapping actually felt like a decent change to the warriors formula.

That's good to hear. I'm really looking forward to it. I ended up getting J-PSN money and getting a Mahjong game to pass the time until the 12th.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Chocobo posted:

So I just noticed that Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence is on steam in English. Anybody tried it? Did they manage to gently caress up my favorite series of all time?

Oh man customizable soundtrack including all the awesome old music, not even in a game yet and I'm excited.

I think it's pretty fun.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

There's probably not much chance that the NA Dragon Quest Heroes is going to allow Twitch streaming when the Japanese doesn't, right?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Good to know. I'll have to check out how YT streaming works, or else I'll just bring the PS4 over to my elgato, I guess.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

canada jezus posted:

is it worth leaning to play nobunagas ambition if you're a complete novice?

Yeah. If you do the tutorial and do your first playthrough on a lower difficulty you shouldn't have any problem.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

canada jezus posted:

neat! whats the replay value like? If its any good i'll pick it up after i finish mgs5.

It really depends on how much you dig the game, honestly. Potentially there's a lot, as you can start as any clan in any of the 10+ scenarios. It's just a matter of if you want to play the game enough to do that kind of stuff.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

The real time stuff is optional, at least at lower difficulties.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

You all started talking about Squeenix Warriors games, and the sickest part of me immediately thought of "Ogre Warriors."

I have no idea what that would even consist of.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

So, if I were to show Dragon Quest Heroes to someone who hates Musou without ever having actually played one, how long do you think I could keep them in the dark about its lineage? Or do you all reckon it's not even worth trying?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Selane posted:

why would you be friends with such a person

That's a good question. He has terrible taste and can't enjoy simple pleasures like Musou. I mainly wanted to know for the sake of recording. I don't want to sit down and hear him complain about how bad the game is for 40 minutes.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Tae posted:

is this Another Person

Also, it would actually help if we knew specifically why he hates omega force games other than instinct

Yes.

That's just it. He won't give a straight answer. All he will say is "They're bad and all the same. No it doesn't matter how popular they are or how much they sell. They're terrible."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Tae posted:

I would absolutely not record then.

Got it. I'll do that one solo. Thanks for the advice.