Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I don't know what exactly people expected of the series on the PS4, but it should have been more dudes and very little else. The entire series only looks a little better than the late PS2 games two generations later, it's just that Omega Force can fit more and more generic soldiers on screen at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

ChaosReaper posted:

Anyone played the Complete Edition on Vita? I was thinking about picking it up because DW is pretty fun and a nice game for mobile play. My only worry is that the game will run like garbage. If the 360 couldn't run DW8 what chance does the Vita have.

The frame rate dips sometimes, particularly during Rage mode, so it's a standard portable version for the series. My only complaint is that there's some texture loading issues with water and fire, causing them to be empty voids for a few seconds.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Drakenel posted:

Lu Bu destroy you game, man.

Ambition is so, so grindy. I'll probably never play it again once I finish it. Can't wait for empires...

I can't imagine it on a console, but on the Vita it's a neat enough way to kill 5 minutes on the bus or lunch.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

5er posted:

Glad to hear there's a patch that will help with the Vita dw8c framerate. I'm happy with what I'm getting so far but better is better. About the only issue I have is periodically with firing off musous and having the facing be away from the direction I set the thing off in, often to the detriment of my body count.

I've had that issue some having come from SW:C, the fix for me was to let go to the stick when I triggered the attacks. If you're holding forward, once the camera spins around it'll cause your character to go flying in the wrong direction entirely.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Evil Canadian posted:

Are any of the dw8 dlc costumes coming to the ps4 version(or perhaps already on there and I cannot find them)? A lot of them are pretty badass.

They've said they're going to be converting a lot of the DLC to Vita/PS4 versions after release, costumes are surely going to be one of them.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I don't think they've said yet, or they have I haven't seen it.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

ChaosReaper posted:

How do you use rage on the Vita?

Touch the meter, likewise Horse is the KO counter (or select.)

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

So the Vita version is a serviceable port, but is there anything I'm missing terms of characters or gameplay?

Nope, and you can even play with PS3/PS4 players in the barely functional network modes.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I have gotten in exactly one game trying multiple times a day. I suspect it's somewhat broken or it has some really really aggressive ping limits. I suspect it'd work better if people started passing around PSN's and trying to actually put games together.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

It would be nice if they release that Vita patch here soon. I just had the game do a total hard lock of my Vita that required me to reboot in safe mode.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Missing out on 3 proper isn't that big a deal, but if you have a 3DS SW:Chronicles is pretty good and has a lot of systems that are apparently returning.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Orochi 3 is longer and has a unique story, and also has every character and then some. However, it gets really loving hard later, and there's quite a bit of bond grinding to get all the characters/side missions. It does have a map editor and the ability to download custom maps, so it might last forever.

8XL's story mode is much lighter on the other hand, and I'm finding it a lot easier as well. It does have some mechanics that Orochi doesn't, like the weapon switching and rage mode however. It's also a lot more focused since you don't have 150 characters to worry about.

E: Also 8XL requires two purchases unless you're getting the vita/ps4 version.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 5, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Sindai posted:

I'm on this boat, and I have some questions:

What controls when the blacksmith sells higher-level weapons? Character level?

What will fill up the affinity stars for each weapon type? In Lu Bu's campaign they were all full, now in the other campaigns only the first star is full. Is it just character level again?

Character level does the stars, blacksmith is based on campaign progress.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I'm actually surprised it doesn't sync officer position. The online mode sounds very familiar to how Toukiden worked, where only the major boss enemies are actually location synced.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Oh, this reminds me, why the hell does WO3 have Free mode? You can already use any officer in any mission, so I can't find out why it's an option.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

So you don't need to walk around the base...? It really is meaningless.

You still walk around the base. It literally does nothing as far as I can tell.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I'd agree, 8's story feels really condensed and stripped of a lot of detail. It's worst in the Sun campaign, but based on your post I'd say you're already seeing that.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I suspect a lot of it has to do with the fact that a lot of players have seen the same story 7 times by this point, plus all the various other retellings of the same book. Sometimes Omega Force just cuts around the story because most players already know most of it.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

TARDISman posted:

And Sun Shangxiang for DW6, hell I think she still talks about how awesome an archer she is in some of her bragging lines for DW8.

She does use a bow in her air musou though.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Don't worry too much about bonds, since you'll get the Teahouse soon and can spend all your money there to quickly build bonds. For the characters, there's a reason you should play at least one game from both franchises before you move to that series.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

Oh? Well that's pretty great to hear! Hopefully they don't drag it out too long though, I'd love to give one of those a whirl again.

If you have a 3DS and want to get a preview, Samurai Warriors Chronicles is the best version of SW3 and also is more similar to how SW4 is going to play. Failing that, I'd suggest buying DW7 or 8 before Orochi 3, since the Orochi series is far easier to get into if you actually have some idea of the characters beforehand.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/03/19/handy-chart-everything-thats-dynasty-warriors-8-xtreme-legends/ vv Here it is.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 19, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

UberJumper posted:

Does that imply that DW8XL has all the content of DW8 on the disc? You just need a saved game and all the content unlocks?

Yes, that's how these expansions generally work.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I didn't play Next, but that sounds more like it was a port of an Empires game.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Whoever your favorite officer is. It's a free form mode, and you'll get others later if you decide you suddenly hate whoever you started with.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

I just got started on Wu story mode and its getting annoying. Every time I think of saving a character to play later they die in the story and I lose my chance. I started to just pick the oldest male so I dont miss out anymore.

Wu spends most of the game losing major figures, yeah.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I remember trying the demo for Bladestorm years ago and I never understood how you play it exactly. It's not really a standard Warriors game.

Edit: It's for sale on the PSN

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 27, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah if you can find a copy to rent or borrow you can unlock it like that.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The GIG posted:

I've been playing 7 Empires a lot and it's pretty fun, though most of the fun comes from the creation mode and the strategy part is only kinda alright. They're fun changes of pace but it really feels like Omega Force knows they could do more but are afraid to pull the trigger on anything really complex.

This makes me wonder why they haven't tried to combine Romance of the Three Kingdoms with Dynasty Warriors for the Empire games. A proper strategy side, then also letting you lead the battle on foot instead of basic commands.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I've had a few late game mission in SW3 and WO3 take 30 minutes, but I've never come close to actually timing out a mission. If it's taking you an hour, it usually means you're not leveled enough for a mission.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

One quick question though, any new info on Hyrule Warriors? It's supposedly coming out this year and there's still just the one preview trailer for it, I figured since it's May we would have gotten at least SOME new info on it.

It's gone quiet, I'd assume because it was super early when they showed it, and also because a bunch of people made a stink about it being a "garbage repetitive DW game"

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The thing with WO3 Wii U is that it got patched pretty quickly that fixed all the major issues. As a plus, since it reviewed badly you can get it for less than $10 on Amazon.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Orochi 3 fixes some of the grind issues from the previous game, but it still has some if you wanna unlock all the side missions. As for the Sengoku Basara game, they are kinda different from the regular SW style. There should still be a PS3 demo for it if you're interested in trying it.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Taran_Wanderer posted:

How does Warriors Orochi 3 compare to Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends Complete? Hearing that WO3 is coming out in the West makes me happy to be able to play Sterk and company, but is DW8:XLC significantly better?

If you're waiting and have a PS3, Wii U, or 360 you can get WO3 already, though it's digital only on the PS3.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

ExMortis posted:

Was asked a page ago but I didn't see an answer, are any of the DLC costumes in the PC version? Is that what "Complete Edition" means? Need "Zhou Yu as a Sommelier" and "Xiahou Yuan as a forensics technician."

Although, looking at the Koei wiki, DW8 might not have as great costumes as DW7 and WO3.

Currently none of the complete editions have any costume DLC's, it's quite unfortunate. They're supposed to be working on them, but who knows.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

1000% positive that WO3 is never going to have an English voice track, sorry to say.

As for the Vita, the game runs fine most of the time, but fog/fire and rage attacks make the frame rate tank. Some people have actually gotten some crashes from specific musou attacks, and I've had one in the middle of a cutscene. However, most of the game works fine, and if you have other friends with Playstation versions you can coop missions with them.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

You should first play the story mode, Wei/Wu/Shu in any order you want, you can also start Ambition mode once you figure out what character you like most. For the weapons and such, it's simple rock paper scissors, being blue beats green beats red beats blue. Compatibilities basically decide what weapons your characters hit harder with. Once the characters start getting more stars filled in, you should be using the 4 or 3 star compatible weapons to get the most damage out of them, as well as always making sure you have at least one slot equipped with your character's EX weapon since they get extra moves with those. For the early part of the stories you can just ignore most of that though and just mash Square/X and Triangle/Y through hundreds of Chinese peasants.

Also yeah play the tutorial/read the manual if you get lost.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I killed him in the Wei version of the mission, it only took 30 minutes and extreme care to not get hit. Finding some captains to grind musou refills from helps a ton too.

E: Also he doesn't drop poo poo nor extra xp, so just run away.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 14, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Giving Lu Bu two Halberds makes him basically invincible and lets you win fights on hard or lower in a few seconds of mashing square, it's crazy.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Shima Honnou posted:

This is a Koei game, the "complete" basically just means "You don't have to pay another $40 for Xtreme Legends content!"

Yeah Complete in this case means your platform didn't get regular DW8 so we're being nice and giving you both in one purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

That's not really how these games work. You pick the three characters you like the most, or just use the suggested groups if you don't know the characters well enough. Likewise, there's not rare items/weapons, so use whatever you like best.