Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Policenaut posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GKC7WHSY0g

One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 teaser trailer

Oh god they did the Enel reaction shot yessss. Can't wait to play as the biggest lightning-flavoured jackass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Jibo posted:

Definitely saw that. Can't wait to play as some bad guys. I hope we get to play as some Baroque Works or CP9 dudes. It would be awesome playing as Kaku, mowing down dudes as a sword wielding giraffe.

He's probably too minor in the overall scheme of things to add this early on, but we might get Lucci and other arc-ending bosses.

Personally I want to play as good ol' Crocodile, so here's hoping.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I...

Wait, not words can properly express how I feel about this. Despite the fact it will absolutely never be localized, it is an amazing thing.

All I can say is HELL YES TIME TO RIDER KICK SOME FOOLS AND HOPE V3 IS IN THE GAME SO ENEMIES CAN GO ONORE, V3!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

If we can play as Gekko loving Moriah and not Crocodile I'm going to be pretty pissed. I'm okay with Perona though, she's cool.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Does Ken's Rage 2 contain the plot from FotN1 or is it just the sequel plot? I skipped the first one because I heard bad things about it overall, but this second one seems to fix a lot of things and I wanted to try. But if all there is the terrible FotN2 plot I dunno if I really want to play it.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'll still always miss the glory days of Cow Cow and Cow Pee. The voice acting in the older DW games always was of the so-bad-it's-good kind for me.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Policenaut posted:

Buggy, Crocodile, and Mihawk are playable in One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2. Geez this is really making PW1 look like a really awful prototype game.

FINALLY they confirm Crocodile. Pirate Warriors 2 is looking SWEET. I just really hope they remove, or at least tone down, the platforming segments.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I've been playing through the YTR scenario just to get the hang of things. Things kind of got out of hand and now it's just me vs Dong Zhuo and his goddamn inexplicable diplomatic partnership with Meng Huo.

Currently sworn brothers with Zhao Yun, and I have Pang Tong as my token strategist. Things are alright. Using Huang Gai's musou as a skinny guy is kind of hilarious, and it'll probably be even more so on a female character. I'll never make a character that can't dislocate both of my enemies legs at once.

Also, with Brave as my main type at 9, using the movement speed upgrade item and getting the move speed boots on the field, I can literally cross the map before the item runs out. I'm pretty much the Flash at this point. I run faster on foot than Red Hare.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Kingtheninja posted:

What is weapon compatibility based off of? I chose the great sword for my CAW and their compat is only 2 stars, but it's 3 stars for the axe weapon type.

I don't know, probably Fame type, but it will eventually go to 3 stars after you gain enough Fame or something. I know I started with my EX weapon at 2 stars and eventually it went up to 3.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I kind of miss the amusing custom ending cutscenes from 5 Empires but other than that, this really is the best Empires game in the series. I just wish I could recreate my Xu Zhu only ending cutscene again, because that poo poo always made me laugh.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

tooooooo bad posted:

You shouldn't! DW7 and Orochi 3 are the worst performing ones in a long while. Gundam 3 was at 60fps basically all the time. It sounds like they've at least attempted to address it in DW8 but it's impossible to say with only 30fps videos to look at. Wish they'd put a demo out.

It is a much better game than 6e though. I kind of wish that created characters would "learn" moves the way characters do in other games. You know, the way you get longer combo strings as you level up or whatever. I like that sense of growth. Lot of fun anyway, stayed up way too late playing it last night.

Question: do your character's stats increase? I can't tell. If so, how?

Main Fame level up, probably, much like everything else. Also for some ridiculously unbalanced reason you can equip every item simultaneously so your character should always have +25% Health, Attack and Defence.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Policenaut posted:

Story trailer for One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 featuring the new Pirate's Log and a bunch of the new playable characters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZXwYo36AnI

And if you'd like to see individual character gameplay videos, here's part 1 and here's part 2.

You know the thing about these trailers that gives me the most hope for the game? Absolutely no sign of the platforming segments from 1. Maybe they actually learned their lesson.

Edit: Also Trafalagar Law looks like he's gonna be an absolute blast to play as.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 1, 2013

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man using Peerless is incredibly hilarious. It's basically YOU WIN: THE STRATAGEM. I've one shot enemy commanders using Peerless and the backbreaker musou.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Leal posted:

Is there a reason for me to assign prefects at all? I guess they defend the territory they're the prefect of? Doesn't seem that way though, I was the strategist of a kingdom that had a few prefects and a territory was under attack, I spent a turn getting my troops maxed out and the game says "This territory is under attack, the prefect is leading the defense. Turns until the territory is lost: 2". That doesn't sound like assigning a prefect will allow me to take a break and not having to always defend every territory ever (Which I have no problem in doing so I'm really not seeing why I should assign a prefect).

I guess in the same vein is there any reason to assign a marshal or a strategist when I'm the ruler? Again one playthrough I assigned a marshal and didn't get a strategist till the very end, and in another one I had neither and nothing seemed to change.

I think they show up in endings. I know I assigned Pang Tong as my strategist and he popped up during my ending. Other than that, hell if I know.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I personally think the easiest way to play the game the first time is to just found your own kingdom ASAP. Things are quite a bit easier when you don't have to worry about what the ruler wants to do or whatever.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Policenaut posted:

In case it wasn't obvious, Hancock and Jinbei are playable in One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2. There's also some DW8 cross-promotion going on with the costumes for Perona and Hancock.

I just got Platinum in PW1 the other day. Not a bad game for $25 but I would have been pissed if I dropped the full $50.

I THINK this is a newish trailer. I don't remember the gameplay details at the end of this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYg-AqbRo7k

I don't know if I'm interpreting that video wrong, but it seems like they made goddamn loving everyone playable. Unless you can get non-playable characters to do the Nakama Strike thing, which is also a possibility.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Policenaut posted:

IT FINALLY HAPPENED. ATELIER IS JOINING DYNASTY WARRIORS.

Greetings to our newest warrior, Sterkenburg Cranach, debuting in Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate!

Wait whaaaaaa? That is... An odd match-up.

Oh well, at least that guy looks pretty badass. I should really get around to the Atelier series one of these days.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's a simple paper rock scissors game, if you see a ! over the enemy's head you are at a disadvantage, but if you see that crystal thing you are at an advantage, if you see nothing it means you are using the same type of weapon. Other than that which one you are using has no influence on the weapon's performance.

edit: always keep two different types of weapons on you, that way you are at an advantage against 2/3 of the enemy generals and a disadvantage against none.

Basically (as far as I've found in my like one hour of playing) you want to have two different weapon types to use against their respective weaknesses, and for the third type, you switch to your weapon that's WEAK to it, so that you can do the special switch counter thing. Otherwise enemies tend to be kinda spongy, even on normal.

I'm doing Shu first (always start with your least favorite is my way of doing things) and I'm seriously hoping someone does a BENEVOLENCE counter for 8 as well.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I sure am. It really seems like the first Pirate Warriors, which was already pretty good, with all the stupid bullshit cut out and the combat system hella improved. Plus, I really dig One Piece so I'd like it anyways.

Can't wait to play as Garp.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Hmm, I dunno, I really liked the cel-shaded style of 3. I guess we'll see how it goes, hoping for more G Gundam suits as well, and if not, then at least let us have the Dendrobium, since they're apparently adding playable mobile armors.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man Smoker is a ton of fun to play in Pirate Warriors 2. I like how they made every character REALLY REALLY distinct. It's kind of impressive, to be honest. They all have their own unique gimmicks, speeds, fuckloads of attacks... It just seems so drat POLISHED. I'm only a bit concerned with there not being a post-story mode besides challenge missions. If this game had the missions system of Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2 it'd officially overtake WO3 as my top Warriors game.

Then again WO3 didn't have any post-story game mode either and it's my top game currently, so maybe I'm being unfair.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Jibo posted:

The way they made the characters and the gameplay itself feel distinct was a positive in the last game. Until you played Brooke or Franky and it was more of a hassle than a fun element. I really can't wait until this weekend when I can play the drat game.

Brooke is still kind of awkward (his style action is entertaining to use though) but Franky got hella improved, IMHO.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Dj Meow Mix posted:

I haven't gotten to play much but abusing the hell out of the style meter to do crazy combos has been so much fun. I'm having a blast with just Luffy, Nami Smoker and Franky.

Nami is pretty tricky to play, honestly, due to her whole thing with thunderbolt tempo. When she clicks though, she really clicks. She'll never be a easy powerhouse like Luffy or whoever, but she can do some pretty nasty stuff.

Mostly it didn't click for me until three or so missions with her that oh, her R2 is the ACTUAL trigger for thunderbolt tempo. I felt like a complete idiot, I had been using her triangle-triangle-triangle combo all along, and was wondering why it was so difficult to get the Tempo out.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

quakster posted:

Here's a guide on how to unlock stuff someone somewhere put together, some of it is kinda obtuse. (1000 K.O.s as Chopper on 1-4? :what:)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ao2H8cCVWXHUdHFRZUFmU3dXVXBOMV90TmRILXhuZEE#gid=0

To be entirely fair you're supposed to be getting 1000 kills on every stage every time anyways, so it's really just technically "play as Chopper on 1-4".

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

It's still clearly a One Piece, and therefore an anime game, so usual restrictions apply (kind of embarassing female character design, lots of screaming of attack names, skull jokes), but the actual gameplay is genuinely good, one of the most all-around fun Dynasty Warriors-style games in a while.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Jibo posted:

Samurai Warriors 2/XL is the first Warriors game I did absolutely everything you could in my save was at around 600 hours last time I looked at it. I'm not sure if I'm prepared for that game to be re-released.

In OPPW news, according to the coin system Boa Hancock is romantically involved with ever person who is not herself or a talking reindeer. Which means that her coin can give a pretty big boost when wedged between two people once you have the slots in your treasure board.

Also if you were wondering how they would put Bartholomew Kuma in the game without him being retardly over powered, they really didn't and so far he feels like Lu Bu with laser beams in this drat game.

Wait until you get Double Fruit Blackbeard. It's like straight up cheating! He has Whitebeard's second Musou as his FIRST Musou!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Meme Emulator posted:

How was Pirate Warriors 2? I remember being really dissapointed that PW1 was just a bunch of QTEs and platforming segments and strayed from the Warriors formula a little bit too much, and even my incredible love for One Piece couldnt overcome the averageness of it.

Basically, remember all that annoying bullshit like platforming, long story based stages with little fighting, and being forced to play as Luffy for like the entire game?

All that poo poo's gone. It's way closer to a traditional Musou game now, except every character plays RADICALLY different, you're encouraged to use a variety of different characters, and there's an original (kind of lame but who cares its Musou) story that allows you to use a lot of villains and side-characters before getting your stand-in Straw-hats back.

It's REALLY GOOD. The only thing that's disappointing about it is a lack of extra post-story content. If this had some sort of like conquest mode or something, even if it was really cheap and not very good, I'd rank it as one of the best Musou games yet.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The original was kind of... Really lame. It was definitely a knockoff DW game, and it showed. It was kind of cool how they integrated each Rider's gimmick, but something about the game felt really off. Still kind of worth it to be hilariously overpowered as Faiz. Actually every (main) Rider could be pretty hilariously powerful in their own right, except maybe Hibiki. He kinda sucked.

I'm relatively excited about a sequel, I suppose. Hope they fix some of the major problems with the game (some Riders seem WAY AWFUL at first because they take way too many levels to unlock their full set of gimmicks and movesets, general lack of stage variety, really broken systems sometimes.)

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Policenaut posted:

Here's a new trailer for Kamen Rider: Battride War 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYUJGc0j5uc

I actually ordered the first game a month or so ago because it's like $40. Hope it'll arrive some day so I can play it.

Aaaargh, I shouldn't want this, since the first game was almost aggressively average, but seeing Gaim there makes my resolve waver like hell.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Policenaut posted:

I just started Kamen Rider: Battride War and I think I can see some good in this, like it's obviously a first pass and not amazing or anything of the sort but there's something here. It's really janky however. The frame rate can chug for split seconds while doing your crowd clearing and the game's basic combat mechanics seem really odd. I'm used to Light, Strong, Musou (+ True Musou) but Battride War is like Attack Modes 1, 2, 3, Transform, Boss Finisher Move. The Musou seems to be just transforming your guy into some kind of robot thing that tears poo poo up and I'm not sure what I think of that. I'm only a little bit into the "Chronicle Mode" but this Wizard guy seems alright, even if I don't know anyone else in this game at all (I have to make up names for them myself, I think it's more fun thatway) so I'm feeling it out.

Wizard guy seems weird. All his "move settings" are weird and clunky. Like you've got the basic one that inexplicably starts with spread shot gunfire before turning into standard swordery, then you've got "Freezeu" which makes a big arm come out, and then the third one is spinny fire kicks which takes so long to come out it seems useless. I dunno, maybe there's some kind of linked combo system I'm not noticing because there's barely any English documentation about these mechanics and I'm relying on a sparsely updated translation wiki and Google Cache remnants of the Japanese Battride War 1 strategy wiki (because the current one is apparently banned due to misconduct?)

Hey, guy in this thread who played Battride War! Do you have any tips or can tell me anything I should know when I play this?

Well, for starters, every single character pretty much plays in a unique way, which they have to, because it's Kamen Rider so everything is loving weird. Knowing the shows helps a bit, but if you don't know any of them, you're gonna be confused for a long time about things. Such as, why is this guy shoving medals into him and changing forms? Why does this guy have a really lovely mode where he's super slow but in the other one he's got like literal ZA WARUDO time stopping abilities? What is with this motorcycle gauge!?

Also it's important to keep in mind that, unlike Musou, characters play RADICALLY different as they level up, getting a bunch of new stuff almost every level up until around 20 or so. Some of these things make or break a character. If a mechanic seems weird, or pointless, or too weak, it's probably because you unlock something later that changes it around. Get used to levelling up and wondering what the gently caress changed this time. I recommend playing every Rider until level 20 to get a feel from them before deciding on who to really focus on.

Since I don't actually know any Japanese, I can't really help with stuff like figure ability descriptions or anything, but I played most of the Riders until level 20, so if you need help with individual Rider mechanics I can probably help out. For instance, Wizard gets a bunch of rings as he levels up (that's his thing in the show, having a bunch of magic rings that do random poo poo), giving him new moves and forms. Mostly though, you'll be using Wizard for his great crowd control abilities. His spread shot thing is really handy a lot of the time. I was never too big into Wizard (mostly because the series is pretty bad), so I don't really recall much of his playstyle.

Edit: The wiki doesn't really seem that bad, if you're using this one. It seems to have pretty much everything you'd actually need.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 9, 2014

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Keeshhound posted:

That actually sounds pretty awesome. How much of a hindrance would not knowing Japanese be if I wanted to pick this up?

Well there's a wiki for the figures (which are essentially things you slot into characters for various effects), and besides that everything is pretty simple to figure out, so not particularly. The wiki also details the various Rider mechanics, more or less, so that's also not an issue.

It's actually a pretty simplistic game despite the different mechanics each Rider uses. It also suffers rather drastically from a lack of stages. You'll be seeing the same few ones over and over again. Also of note is that if you don't get the SPECIAL TV SOUND EDITION the music is incredibly lackluster. Honestly, besides the rather fun and unique aspect of having each Rider play really different, it's a pretty below-average Musou clone.

Honestly, unless you're actually into Kamen Rider a lot, I'd wait until the sequel which is coming out relatively soon (June) and will probably fix some of the rough edges the first game has. It's still a fun game, just kind of rough. It really shows that making a Musou game is not as easy as some people seem to think.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, I see the deal about the stages. I just finished the 2nd Awakening of Heroes plot line and I've seen the same stages quite a bit now, and none of them are very big. The cast is also really weird too, because I hate using a third of them but they usually have one weird gimmick (i.e. drum guy has that insane fireball projectile) or they're really good when you transform them but you have to put up with their lovely moveset outside of that. I just got that Kiva guy and his debut stage is him in permanent transformation mode, so he's literally a golden god wrecking people with his awesome moves, but then the next mission he's a regular dude with some kind of DMC-esque brawler moveset with linked attacks.

Hibiki is honestly kinda weak but you'll love him if you're going for the achievement for 1000 hit combo because his drum solo thing does like seventeen billion hits in a wide area. Kiva... I never played much with Kiva. I liked his series somewhat, but I dunno, I was just not terribly interested in him during the game. Probably because I think by that point I might have already had Kabuto. Kabuto is straight up my favorite, he gets mad style points for his particular Rider Kick. Try him out once you get him, if you don't already.

Also, I dunno if you have him yet, but Faiz is gonna seem really underwhelming at first glance. The thing to know about him is that as you level, the requirements to enter his combo-based super mode lower, which makes him a seriously insane force of nature later on.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Policenaut posted:

I just finished Kamen Rider: Battride War's story mode and it was a fun little experience. I don't know anything about Kamen Rider other than that they're like Power Rangers only all their faces look like bugs for some reason and they all really like motorcycles, which sounds like a fun combination. I can definitely see this game getting much better with a more polished sequel, clean up the frame rate hitches and sound cut outs, create more stages (there's only like 6 fully realized ones), and maybe get some multiplayer and other optional modes in there. Everyone seemed to have their own uses with their own unique move sets and they all look pretty cool, even though I ended up just using Wizard for the entire game after I unlocked everyone.

I couldn't help but notice though that after I finished the final mission that I hadn't unlocked the Diamondhead looking dude I saw in the trailers, so I did a bit of research and found out he was a free DLC character: "Wizard Infinity". So I download him and it turns out he's Dante in a Kamen Rider outfit with a techno sword. Million Slashes and Stingers out the rear end, and they all combo into each other, and his base string is ridiculously good. He's probably the coolest, most fun character in the game I've played yet... and I found out about him after I finished the entire game's story mode and have only challenge missions remaining (and he starts at Level 1) :cripes:

So now I'm power leveling him because holy poo poo he's cool and I want to finish this game as someone I enjoy rather than just tolerate (gently caress Wizard's opening attacks). Why was this character not included in the base game!? gently caress!

I had a lot of fun with this though, and if you're looking for a different kind of musou game and can find it for cheap (I paid about $44 on eBay) then it might be worth a try.

Wizard Infinity was not originally included because Battride War was released WHILE Wizard was airing (this is also why Wizard is the first Rider you get, and the most prominent one in all the art and covers and such). At the time the game was released, Wizard Infinity hadn't been revealed in the show yet.

Also I honestly thought regular Wizard was pretty boring and would gladly switch him for like a half-dozen other Riders. But whatever.

e;fb (also, agreed, Wizard was loving awful.)

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Policenaut posted:

Oh, I guess that makes sense.

Infinity Gaia, do you know how the Rider Road scoring works? It's Points Earned, Kills, Combo Streak right?

I'm trying to unlock all the figures and I'm reading that there's a figure for ranking S, A, and B. First go around with Wizard I got Rank A (A, B, A) and unlocked the A figure, but with Wizard Infinity I got Rank S (S, A, S) and it gave me... the B figure. How does this work? Do I seriously have to do each Rider Road 3 times to unlock all the figures for each one, because I thought getting Rank S would get all 3. This is kind of irritating as I already have to play on Very Hard just to get the number of points to hit S Rank.

I didn't really mess around much with Rider Road, I just did the main story. Can't help out there, sorry.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

S-Alpha posted:

Crossposting from the PS3 Games thread:

That trailer is so goddamn lame I can't even think straight. Good thing the game's coming over though, it's pretty good.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Jibo posted:

At least they seem to be interested in branching out into other series. Although I'm worried that it stretches them thin and draws attention away from DWG. Saint Saiya and Kamen Rider were both wiffs as far as my interests go but there's always hope that they'll pick up something else.

I'll be excited for a new One Piece but we really don't need one until they finish up the current arc and possibly the next one too. The last game was pretty great just for fluffing up the roster but if they could drop in some of the key players from the current arc and maybe refine the gameplay and story a bit then it could be a good game.

The Kamen Rider one wasn't by the DW team, you know. It was a completely different company experimenting with the DW formula. Bamco, not Koei and Omega Force.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

gyrobot posted:

Bao Sanniang was designed as fanart material for URC, guess Momoya makes a decent enough killing to inspire KT to make more female characters whereas Capcom has decided not tap into that market.

The only redeeming part is she voices Kyoko, but that's it

The redeeming part about Bao Sanniang is giving her moveset to other characters. Lu Bu with her moveset. Huang Gai with her moveset. Dong Zhuo with her moveset.

Possibilities are endless.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I managed to get my hands on DWG Reborn early. So far it seems pretty okay? I'm a little disappointed, though not surprised, that we once again lost the official music in exchange for generic themes. At least this only affects Official mode now. It's kinda sad because, unlike in previous games, they were actually using the original songs instead of lovely-sounding remixes. (Oh god, Stand up to the Victory in DWG2...)

Mobile armors are really just gimmicky poo poo so far. They aren't effective enough to even consider using in a long-term sort of way. I'm also kind of annoyed at how few characters you have to start out with, and how slowly you get new ones. It seems all the characters that anyone actually cares about are waaaaay down the mission line.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Dramicus posted:

They have a sort of dash-cancel system where you can dash out of attack animations to reposition yourself or escape from enemy attacks. I tend to prefer them more than regular Dynasty warrior games, but then again I also think giant robots are cooler than ancient Chinese generals.

You're incredibly overpowered in DWG:R because you not only have near-infinite dash cancels, but you can also chain a charged shot at the end of any combo by holding triangle while doing the last hit of it. So you can do really really impossibly long combos. I'm pretty sure the damage drops off if you hold a combo like that too long though.

And it'd probably still be quicker to just second Musou anything in your way with most characters. Getting Domon's Second Musou basically made Mobile Armors go from giant annoying pains in the rear end to literally one-shot kills. You're PRETTY OVERPOWERED in DWG:R, but I still haven't unlocked the ability to set the difficulty to max stars. Maybe it'll balance out, but I'm not sure what exactly is left to get once you have that, besides a bunch of medals that require replaying a stage at higher star difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ImpAtom posted:

Get Reborn. The only one of the aerlier games that has anything significant over the later versions is DWG1 having the best story mode and it isn't worth going backwards mechanically for a few amusing cutscenes.

I liked 2 quite a bit due to having (extremely short but still there) story modes for each individual character. Gym Ghingham's was amazing. 3 has no real redeeming value to me, and I think, despite 4 having a lot of good gameplay improvements, I'd still put 2 above it. This is probably just nostalgia talking, however.

But yeah, for someone just starting off, either get Reborn if you plan on playing just one of them, or start with 1 or 2 if you plan on playing them all eventually, since going backwards would be rough.