Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Dynasty Warriors 8: Extreme Legends is at 50% discount in steam this weekend and I'm considering it. Sadly my game pad is poo poo, can this game be played comfortably with just the keyboard or has too much buttons? I played DW 4 and Samurai Warriors 2 with the keyboard with no problems.

Also, my computer is a little low on CPU, has anyone had trouble with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

booksnake posted:

As someone who wanted his DW fix despite only owning a lovely nongaming laptop, the game only slowed down appreciably if I had everything max settings while having a thousand dudes on screen. And some musous in crowds. Take this with a grain of salt, though, since I don't know how much my situation parallels yours.

If you're willing to play DW4 on keyboard, you can probably manage this game. For the most part you only need 8 buttons and of those, there's only one multiple button combination that's really important (weapon switch + musou). You might have to fight the camera without a second analog stick, though.

Good enough, after all this years without playing a DW game I have the irresistible urge to kill several thousand Chinese soldiers and experiencing the joy of stepping into Hu Lao Gate.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Nanman map on DW4 was certainly one of the most rear end in a top hat things I've seen in a DW game. Dw4 was really difficult compared to DW8, goddamn.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Just finished Lu Bu's hypothetical route on hard today and it was a blast.

Also I'm finally able to use temper to create decent weapons, what are your favorite attribute setups? I want to create some truly op weapons.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Just tempered a 4-star throwing knife to max and it's hell on wheels. It's normal attacks don't seem to do max damage, but when to hit the charge attack, elemental poo poo happens and everything dies. It's glorious, but the weapon itself is kinda lame and bland.

I have already a pretty good 3-star halberd, and I just acquired a 4-star halberd with only slash 7, with enough materials left to go crazy on this, I'm thinking something like slash, induction, explosive, recovery, cyclone, velocity/flash(?). So much poo poo to do and so few materials.

Enallyniv posted:

Make yourself a set of throwing knives with Cyclone, then put them away and only ever use them for things you need to finish really quickly.

Try Fusion. It's pretty nuts.

e: Oh, and get a Curved Sword with Velocity because the Zhou Tai Shuffle is the one true way to travel through China.

I'll pimp Zhou Tai as soon as I grind more mats, he was my favorite character in DW4, getting his lvl 10 weapon on the Nanman campaign left me scarred for life though.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Ugh, is there any way to break an opponent's guard in DW8:XL SE? I'm getting real tired of enemies blocking my attacks halfway through a combo and strong attacks don't seem to stagger them.

Also, for some weird reason Jin's Deng Ai weapon, the lance, goes through guards with a lot of it's normal attacks as well.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
How does Empires perfomance-wise compared to DW:8 XL? I'm living abroad and I only have my lovely laptop with an integrated graphic card, if I can run DW8 without issues, Empires would be alright?

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 1, 2015

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

QuantaStarFire posted:

On some characters, this seems to be the only way to charge their Kizuna meter in a reasonable fashion.

Speaking of PW3, are there any guides out there for each of the characters? I'm at the point in the game where I'm doing nothing but skill unlocks or S-Ranking, and it gets a little absurd when you have to hit/kill 3000 dudes with Kizuna attacks and the character can only generate a sliver of meter for every 1000 bad guys killed. Also makes getting crew levels up a pain since that's also tied to Kizuna attacks.

Try this guy's channel, it has guides for some characters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdO1xEcumEg

And yeah, there's some characters with special attacks that fill kizuna like crazy, that's one of the reasons I've fallen in love with Kuma. Also, I'd recommend you to upgrade the battlefield charisma skill as soon as posible.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

QuantaStarFire posted:

Yeah, I grinded out Ace and Sabo to get that out of the way. Still need Stylish, but I have to kill Lucci a few more times (I'm so loving tired of Enies Lobby), so it's going to be a bit before I get it.

I think I've never used stylish and I'm a few islands away from s-ranking everything, but if you want to target Lucci to unlock his skill poster, don't grind him in legend mode, instead go to dream log mode and play one of the CP9 islands to death. Dream log missions are way shorter and are more densely populated, so you can get the same amount of kizuna kills in less time.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
He used to call himself Demon King of the Sixth Heaven, which is basically the buddhist Satan. I don't know if he was a demon, but for sure he was a loving troll.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
The series have some pretty good moments, like Cao Cao trolling Yuan Shao at Guandu. The actor who plays Cao Cao is awesome.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
RoTK XI was a pretty good strategy game, even with all the micromanagement, but hey, it was the price to pay to have two angry scholars on top of stone pillars shouting at each other until one of them explodes.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Sudden Javelin posted:

DW4 also has the dreadful duel system, and that loving Nanman stage. So good it's on both Wu and Shu.

gently caress the Nanman mission, I still have nightmares about the time my buddy and me were trying to unlock Zhou Tai's final weapon. I played a poo poo ton of DW4 and I loved it, but it could be awfully frustrating.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

EGSunBro posted:

The best warriors is Pirate Warriors 3.

About PW3, there's any point in completing nightmare mode? It's really grindy.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Jibo posted:

As far as I know it's only there for achievements. I've got like 300 hours in PW3 and I've done maybe 3 Nightmare Mode missions.

Welp, I've got some history missions left to do 100% and have like one quarter of nightmare mode done, so not much else to do.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Can't let Xiahou Ba have all the fun.

But seriously Pirate Warriors 3 is the best and none of my friends believe me because they don't give a gently caress about One Piece.

It's also a really good PC port, works fine even in my lovely laptop with an integrated graphics card.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Ghost of Starman posted:

...I really want those x55 Oars coins though. If I go back in on Hard, is there any way to avoid a repeat scenario? It seriously seemed like there was nothing I could have done. :mad:

It's probably the most annoying map in the game, just do it as fast as possible, even if you have to lower the difficulty and come back later to get the legend rewards. I have around 100 hours in this game and I still don't have a 100% legend score in all story mode stages, some of them can be quite tedious.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Ghost of Starman posted:

Oh, I went back and finished it on Normal already. I didn't get any Oars coins from killing him (multiple times! :mad: ) - am I correct in assuming that the only source of Oars coins is the 55 you get from the Legend reward? That's the only reason I'm contemplating going back on Hard - to get that part of the Legend completed. All my Straw Hats' Attack bonuses are gated behind Oars at this point. :(

Yes, it's the only source of Oars coins. Strawhats are the only ones that uses them. Honestly, don't sweat it, you can beat legend mode and achieve level break without ever getting the Oars coins. I still haven't got the coins myself, this is probably my least played map, by far.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Never played an Empires game, is DW:8 Empires (for pc) any good? I have played DW8 and it was good enough I guess. Also, any worthwhile DLC? I don't really care about cosmetics.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Elliotw2 posted:

DW8:E is an alright port on Steam and pretty fun. There's a couple of scenario packs if you want more stuff to do instead of just dicking around in clash of heroes/full edit mode.

The only real issue with the Steam port is that it only shows a generic icon instead of Xbox buttons, but you probably have the muscle memory already down so that it doesn't matter much.

Sounds good, but I waited too much and the sale expired, next sale then but thank you.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Jimbot posted:

Nami is pretty god-tier in Pirate Warriors 3. She clears everything and bosses incredibly fast. She also has good set ups for the kizuna attacks. Who else is incredibly broken?

In my humble (and probably wrong) opinion, the incredibly broken character tier are:

- Shanks. His R1 is op, basically slow time on demand. His move set is also pretty great.

- Whitebeard. His move set is good all around but his four string with charged attack is really good. Incredibly good second-tier special attack too. He's probably my favourite character, he just feels so beastly.

- Fujitora. He lives and dies by his R1, the rest of his set is ok, with a heavy focus on AoE.

Honorable mention: Eneru. He's a true flowchart character, charge your electricity, jumungul (the dragon attack) kizuna jumungul special kizuna jumungul ad nauseam. His second tier special is godly, too. Once you hit your rythm feels super broken.

People also swear for Tashigi, but I haven't played her and Doflamingo is another character popularly labeled as op.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
I'm doing the DLC battles of PW3, in nightmare mode, and goddamit, they are a serious clusterfuck. I limit broke Fujitora, never bothered to hunt down his last coin, and he's even more broken that I suspected, cleared the "World Government Mega-Showdown" super easily.

However, the next mission, the "Pirate Mega-Showdown" is the longest, most irritating mission in the game (well, maybe on par with Thriller Bark), you need to finish under 30 minutes to get S rank and killing so many strong dudes with so much health under a constant barrage of cannonballs for 30+ minutes is annoying and a pain in the rear end. The good part is that is the best place to grind max cre level for Lapahn in the game, if you are aiming for the 100% completion.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Berzerk has a lot of disturbing moments but what's pretty surprising is that they are willing to use that kind of content to advertise the game.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Picked up DW 8 Empires, any must have dlcs?

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Feb 11, 2017

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
What's the general consensus on RoTK XI? I reinstalled this weekend and played a bit, my god, I had forgotten how micromanagement heavy it is.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
DW 4 troops were hard as nails too, incredibly annoying. Unlocking Zhou Tai's lvl 10 weapon on the nanman stage was a loving nightmare, I still remember King Duosi and King Mulu trampling my face with elephants, forever.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

8-Bit Scholar posted:

EDIT: Oh jesus Berserk is hosed up and sad.

:allears:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
oh god not the boat again.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 gameplay is top notch, in fact I'm replaying DW 8 and I'm having trouble finding it as interesting as before. The main problem with One Piece (aside from being animu) is that they tried to cram so much poo poo into it that they barely explain the story and background.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Chinook posted:

I might check that out. There are so many god damned names and events to keep straight that an overview like that would be helpful. I got dw7 for that purpose though, so I'll go through its story mode first.

Cao Cao's actor makes it worth it, his troll mode is great.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

BlazetheInferno posted:

Guh. Seriously. Who the gently caress had the bright idea, for Dynasty Warriors 4's Nanman Campaign, to have your ENTIRE ARMY TAKING CONSTANT loving MORALE HITS FOR THE ENTIRE STAGE?! Meanwhile, the enemy's morale climbs higher and higher and higher.

If you're not playing the commander and not just blitzing the bottom of the map to end it immediately (because why even play the level if you're just gonna skip the entire fuckin' thing), the only possible strategy is to get as much done as you can before your commander gets himself in poo poo, then glue your rear end to his face for the next better part of an hour grinding up to 1000 kills to max out his morale so you can leave his side for two loving minutes without him having a goddamn heart attack while you finish the rest of the map.

Oh the memories :allears:

I hope you are not planning to unlock Zhou Tai's lvl 10 weapon.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah, I kinda dig it. It's very odd and I miss the old English voices, but I think I'll keep an eye out for a nice price.

Also that ROTK phone game that was meant to be a spiritual successor to XI came out in English and ah..

https://twitter.com/Kirbysuperstar/status/1067324229568221185

Doesn't seem like it has any of the land expansion or political stuff at all so I dunno.

Looks pretty awful.

It's a shame because if Rotk XI gote remad and become more streamlined and less of a grind to play it could have been fantastic. I've been replaying it a bit lately and the mid to late game is a massive slog.

By the way, do we have a dedicated thread to talk about Koei's strategy games?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
How's 7 compared to 8? I wanted to replay 8 recently but my new gamepad doesn't work too well with it.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Unlucky7 posted:

If you can stand duplicate move sets on characters and duplicate stages (Albeit with minor changes depending on faction) in the campaign, you could do worse with $20

How bad is the duplicate movesets issue? Only minor characters or even major ones?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
I end up buying it, first stage with Liu Bei and I see his secondary weapon is a tennis racket, I don't know if this is some kind of dlc bonus but I laughed quite a bit.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Karnegal posted:

Oh, I guess I should add that I'm going to play on PC ideally because I'm mainly looking for a fun low-thinking game to play while I bike, and the consoles are all in the living room.

So does the pirates 3 recommendation still stand for the PC port?

Yes, is a decent PC port that runs well even on mid to low spec pcs, get a gaming pad though.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Fujitora can become extremely powerful if you build him to abuse his R1 ability, probably top 3 but I find him pretty boring to play. Whitebeard is also really good, but I have more of an incentive to actually use his moveset instead of spamming one ability.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

lurksion posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hoLvZfW7rw
New ROTK14 trailer.

Looks like ROTK11 with a hex grid.

I would be perfectly ok if it's just a modern version of ROTK11 with less micromanagement and more quality of life features.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
The coin that bottlenecked my progress was conqueror's haki, it takes a long while to get in dream mode and it's necessary to level break a lot of characters, including Luffy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
All the pre-time skip strawhats are pretty lackluster to be honest.