Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I'm getting back into the series after a couple of years since playing DW Advanced (And if that doesn't count then my last game was DW2 and holy poo poo is this series old) with Next and I'm looking into the Orochi series. Should I bother tracking down the first couple of games to get the full story or just say "gently caress it" and download 3 and start kicking rear end with Achilles:black101:?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, on second thought I'm going to put a hold on that because holy poo poo 22 GB download :stare:. Gonna wait until next month on that one.

Still nice to know I can skip the other ones because I don't feel like game hunting.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

Dian Wei is the Vin Diesel of Ancient China. There, I said it.

If Dian Wei is the Vin Diesel of the Three Kingdoms, then Sun Jian is the Liam Neeson. :colbert:

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Wait a minute I just thought about this: I read on the Koei Wiki that the Download requires 22 GB, but then it said that you will only need 11 after it's in your HHD. Does that mean the Download it self is just 11 GB and just need room to put everything in there right, or am I about to be called a dumbass for thinking this? I really don't know the internal workings of stuff like this, I just need to know whenever I'll be able to squeak under my download limit for the month. :v:

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, the game is like 11 gigs but the PS3 needs twice that amount of space available temporarily to install it.

Oh sweet! Buying this poo poo yesterday.

e: 3200 minutes to download. Perhaps I should have bought this yesterday.

The GIG fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 10, 2012

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

I could be just me, but in WO3 does the Samurai Warriors Muosu attacks seem very weak? It honestly feels stronger to just do the Muosu special attacks most of the time.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

kissekatt posted:

Might be a stupid question, but you are aware that you need to hold down the musou button for them to do their special musou attacks? It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure that out.

e:f,b

Yeah, I knew it when I asked the question. And in all honesty with some of the Samurai it seems to be the better choice to just gently caress poo poo up with combos instead of holding down. Though I just got to the guest characters and seems like the ones who use the SW set up are God-like with their Musous. Ayane was only level seven and she was outdamaging the other two characters in my battle party who were level 15+. :psyduck:

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Alright, I finally got to Chapter 3 in WO3, and now I think I'm stuck. There's only one mission unlocked and I beat it, but still got zip. Am I missing something or does it lie in the relationship missions?

EDIT: Nevermind, looks like I somehow didn't notice I was playing on Free Mode. :psyduck:

The GIG fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 18, 2012

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Is it just me or are the strategists the best characters in the series? I love how most of the stories end up "drat you Zhuge Liang I've got you this tim- GODDAMMIT HE GOT AWAY! :argh:"

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Really? I don't remember the hunchback in DW6.

He looks the same as in Next.

Also, anyone still playing WO3 online on PSN? I want to co-op it up but I don't want to jump in and be the only dude there.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Dynasty Warriors won't end until they have mapped through the history of China and literally made every person in Chinese military history a playable character.

EDIT: By the way, Sun Tzu should be a secret unlockable one of these days.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Exasperated Badger posted:

I dream of a King Arthur-themed Warriors game. Lancelot, Arthur, and all their friends wrecking poo poo up.

(Robin Hood is a secret character.)

I have told my buddies this forever and I want to echo this.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Isn't WO3 Hyper based on the PSP version?

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Just to bring it up since it looks like it was glossed over, The new characters for Hyper were announced awhile back: In addition to Rachel and Abe, there's now Momiji from Ninja Gaiden and Shennong, the third of the Three Divine Sovereigns that include Nuwa and Fu Xi

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

I decided to go for the get all items trophy in Warriors Orochi 3.

Turns out some of the battles don't spawn enough people for you to kill to get to the item goal. I've failed Battle of Nazhong like 7 times because every time I get to 50-100 kills to go, Da Ji runs away. :suicide:

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

How In depth in the crate mode? I'm a sucker for any of those in a game.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Policenaut posted:

I'd call it more in-depth than what I've seen in previous Empires games. It seems like most sections have around 10-20 different creation options, so there's a lot of room for customization. Faces have the basic templates then the eyes, nose, mouth, eyebrows, and accessory slots. Clothing has hat, shirt, gloves, pants, and shoes. There's the previously mentioned weapon styles, EX move, and musous to select, along with your basic starting stats and some other option at the end I couldn't figure out.

Just templates, no sliders and such? Still sounds pretty decent though, I'll most likely get this and just end up crating a bunch of dudes instead of getting stuff done outside of unlocking parts.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

Been an on and off again fan of these series through the years, got hooked again on Samurai Warriors 2 Empires.

What do you think about it? I've only really played the Vanilla titles, so I'd like to hear a bit more on the Empires games before 7E drops.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

Those of you who are fans of the Touhou games will like this video. For anyone who isn't...I'm not sure where to begin.

DW crew dancing to 'Percival Sisters on Drugs'

Explains a lot about Liu Shan, I'll give it that.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

5er posted:

After reading that wiki on Yue Jin, I'm wondering how the hell it is he wasn't in at the start, let alone in after bullshit like Bao Sanniang.

Bao Sanninang rules hard in Warriors Orochi 3. So many large combos, so many Triple Attacks.

Samurai Sanders posted:

So...it will go even further into the future, beyond the fall of Shu? What even happens then warfare-wise?

edit: I mean, unless you wanted to introduce a whole shitload of new characters and do the War of Eight Princes or something.

Well 7 did leave off before Sima Yan toppled Wei.

The GIG fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 31, 2012

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

They just really need more Jin dudes. At the end of DW7 most of them were either dead or turned on you midway.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Chachi posted:

Lu Su loving where, Koei?! I want a Wu strategist who isn't an insufferable prick :mad:

Wu constantly gets shafted in the character department. I'm pretty sure most of the Wu crew is the same from the 4th game onwards.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

GANDHITRON posted:

Wasn't Cao Zhi just a drunk and a poet,

Pretty sure this series doesn't care if anyone even threw a single punch in either history or the Novel.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Gherkin Jerkin posted:

I think they've started the curve back to more difficult, haven't they? I seem to remember the archers being a little more threatening in recent games. Nothing like DW3 lethality, though. Christ, I hated those fuckers.

In WO3 a group of archers on anything higher than easy would always ruin my missions where I had to keep an eye on my health. And all swordsmen everywhere would always do the leaping attack to lead in so you need to start attacking before they even get to you.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Sarkozymandias posted:

I'm extremely disappointed because I picked it up precisely to have a local co-op game and I thought "hey Dynasty Warriors was always good" and well I guess it never occurred to me that they would completely eliminate entire features for mysterious reasons.

If I can suggest something, I'd say get Warriors Orochi 3. That is arguably the best pure Warriors game out there and everything in it is co-op friendly.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Just to ask, are any of you picking this up in a few days when it hits the JP PSN?

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Anyone know if there's a chance of Koei bringing over the Demo for DW7:E?

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Tequila posted:

A couple of questions:
Are any of the WO3 DLCs worth picking up?
Do I need to own DW7 for DW7XL to work?

1) I'd say the stage packs are worth it, though the last few or so are really phoned right the Hell in.

2) No, but having the Vanilla 7 unlocks some content form the get go and lets you play Musou Mode. (with Co-op)

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Tequila posted:

Is there anything special about the stages in the stage packs?

So does that mean that the DW7XL disc has all of the content from the original DW7 on it and I will be able to unlock everything if I poopsock hard enough?

To the first, the first I want to say 3-5 stage packs have unique dialogue recorded for them, but the later stage packs just have already in game battle quotes just copy pasted where appropriate, but some stage packs comes with music tracks to use and a few have weapons to unlock in them, not to mention each stage has some sort of interesting challenge in them.

And on the second, I'm not too sure, I just know that Musou mode isn't in the game without the original.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, that was my reaction too. It isn't enough to see famous historical people as NPCs, I want to play as one, drat it!

Joan of Arc is in Warriors Orochi 3 :smug:

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've played WO3 for like a hundred hours...?

It was a joke.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

I just noticed that in the character descriptions it says "proficient weapon", not just "weapon", maybe that means it's multi-weapons like before? I sure hope not.

It's already confirmed in.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Nurge posted:

Thanks for the tips. Haven't managed to unlock Lu Bu yet, but Ding Feng is indeed incredibly powerful and really fun to use. I'm also really liking Liu Bei a fair bit since he has so much movement on his dash/charges and is a pretty solid combine harvester once you get the weapon affinity up a bit. Surprisingly also liking Diaochan a fair bit due to her super high attack speed and very cheap R1 with massive movement bundled in.

Also re: Belzac. You're definitely right in that most of the characters in the game seem very usable.

Okay, I just need to ask: Do you know how to unlock Lu Bu? Because it's kinda different and more dickish than the others.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Vakal posted:

I would definitely recommended Warriors Orochi 3, or as I prefer to call it, Zhou Tai murders everyone throughout history.

This is what I loved about WO3: It was about the Koei Warriors B-Team. The only real head honcho around for most of the early story was Sima Zhao, and since Sima Yi was still alive (And Jin technically doesn't exist), he didn't feel like he was top of the ladder. It felt like it was the minor guys going back and saving all the main Warriors and having the spotlight to themselves for once. Hell, Zhou Tai pretty much saves Wu single handed.

Only think I don't like about it is that since Sun Ce and Sun Jian still get to exist, Sun Quan goes back to being a two-bit chump nobody. :smith:

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

And the Leaders are getting different versions of the sword style. Cao Cao uses the Generals Sword (I think thats what it's called?) which is based around making clones, and I think Sun Jian is getting a different sword type too.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Chachi posted:

They really just need to bring back Pang Tong's old moveset from the PS2 games. He won't need a new weapon, but it's pretty much completely distinct from Zhang Jiao - and it was also super fun to use.

I wonder how hard it would be to do what Warriors Orochi 3 did with some of the characters and have them fight differently with the same weapons. I know the bow users did that, as did the Spear guys and the Double Ended spear users.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

So I'm not too up to date, but if I'm correct, we still don't have all five of the Wei Generals playable (the lone holdout now being Yu Jin), right? C'mon Koei, get with it.

The fact that we are only just getting people like them after 7 installments should have long told you that they aren't exactly hustling to add everyone important.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

I'm just surprised that people are seriously getting mad about some characters looking like anime characters when the series went pretty much anime as gently caress with 6 and on. I personally don't care about the 5 Wei Generals, I'm more annoyed that pretty much all of the Jin faction is made of characters that mostly never lived to even see the kingdom begin, with most of them dying half way through the story.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Belzac posted:

You could say the same thing about all 3 of the other kingdoms. The truth is that all the good stuff happened before Cao Pi usurped the Han and forced the formal foundation of the three kingdoms. Does that mean Guan Yu isn't really Shu cause he died before Liu Bei became emperor? The Jin story is about the foundation and build up of the Sima Clan, which is exactly the same set up as Wei, Wu, Shu.

Good point, forgot about that. I still think it's bad that that most of Jin doesn't even make it to the end, because it really is jarring to have the Jin campaign after XL only having 3 (Or 2, don't remember if Deng Ai shows up for the Rebellion or if he got offed offscreen) make it to the end.

Then again, despite being a full on story mode, Jin itself just seems like it was ut there to test the waters of interest.

EDIT: Just remembered that Zhao dies literally right before the credits roll, so only Yuanji survives. That is some serious lack of characters in Jin's depth chart.

The GIG fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

To be fair, 7 was literally the first game to include Jin at all. If the formation of Jin got covered at all it was "Oh and then Sima Yi betrays Wei, here's one mission where that plays out." I don't know about the first Dynasty Warrior game, but I'd bet that the Shu, Wei, and Wu rosters were missing a number of important figures.

That's why I said that Jin seems to be there to test interest in them, though the lack of characters in previous games wasn't so obvious since they didn't go in depth that far and just had whatever character you had say a random line when appropriate. But yeah, no matter what Jin would have felt a little lacking in it's introduction, it's just that when you get only a little more than 10% of the cast it really feels odd when the game plays them up as A Really Big Deal and have most of them not even make it.