Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Question for the thread: Which of the Musou games are worth checking out? I'll say that I'm pretty new to the series; I've played a little bit of Dynasty Warrior 8 on PC (albeit with some frustration over the control setup), but I was wondering what other games are worth checking out, or if there are others that a bit more polished or aren't as daunting.

Apart from DW8, I picked up One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 on Steam, but I don't know what else is recommended. I saw there was a new game due to come out at the end of the month with a bunch of Koei-Techmo characters crossing over. I'm curious if any of the older games still hold up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

A Bystander posted:

Warriors Orochi 3: Ultimate is still pretty fun for an old game. The other two games are dated, but I find 2 is still playable enough. 1 is just really irritating and not worth it unless you gotta know what happened and don't care for summaries.

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Seconding Wo3U. Insane amount of content, absurdly large roster, stupid-ridiculous story. Systems are pretty polished and give you a lot of different directions to take stuff in. There's just a lot of game there.

Sounds interesting, and it looks like it's on PS4 too.

I guess that leads me to asking if I should stick to buying Musou games on console, considering how Koei-Tecmo doesn't really handle PC ports real well.

Sakurazuka posted:

Hyrule Warriors and Samurai Warriors 4 are the only must haves you haven't already mentioned imo and the first one requires you having a WiiU or New3DS.
Do not try playing it on a non-New one.
(Un)Luckily enough, I do have a Wii U, so Hyrule Warriors is an option for me. I think the positive reaction to that game was what initially piqued my interest in trying a Musou game. The only thing that puts me off from buying Hyrule Warriors, though, is that new copies are still in the $60 range, despite it being out for about three years at this point.

That also reminds me that there were the two Dragon Quest Warriors games. I tried the demo of the second one, but it was over pretty quickly, and I didn't get a really great impression of it. Are those worth checking out?

I looked up Samurai Warriors 4, and there's two different titles; 'Samurai Warriors 4' and Samurai Warriors 4-II'. Is the 4-II a sequel, or a re-release with added content?

Billzasilver posted:

Which novel translation would people here recommend? I've been meaning to read them since DW2.
That actually something I've been meaning to ask about as well. Apart from Romance of the Three Kingdoms, there was also Water Margin (which the Suikoden games took some influence from). I don't know where to look for a copy, though. Amazon sells a couple of different versions, but some of them aren't really well-rated, and I don't know which one would be considered the most accurate version.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

TheFlyingLlama posted:

people were hoping that it was basically gonna be Warriors Orochi 4 with other interesting Koei characters but instead it's generic musou with a bunch of characters that a lot of western fans just don't give a gently caress about.

I mean, I was never gonna buy it once we learned there was no Bo Jackson, but w/e

The football/baseball player Bo Jackson? :confused:

Anyway, I played a little bit of DW8XL tonight (the PC version). I started off with the Wei campaign, and I've made it up to Chapter 6. I still don't feel like I have the best grasp on the game so far. I don't really feel like I have an issue with combat, and I sometimes am not sure where to go immediately during a mission, but it seems like there's a lot to the game and I haven't really scratched the surface of it. I've collected weapons during battle, and when equipping characters, I aim for the weapons that have the most compatibility. However, there's apparently 1200 weapons, and a blacksmith available at the start of some missions, so I don't know how in-depth the weapon system goes.

That aside, so far the game feels a little...repetitive, I guess? I've heard the criticism that Musou games get a little samey, but I wonder if it just because I haven't looked at the other modes yet.

Also, I'll have to test it again to see if it happens, but I had a weird control glitch (not really sure what it was) where if I clicked both control sticks down at the same time, the game would just suddenly return to the main menu, causing me to lose my progress. Is that normal, or is it possible I have DS4Windows set up in some weird way?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Okay, Bo Jackson was a game-breakingly unstoppable player back in Tecmo Bowl, probably the most beloved NFL game on the NES. When Koei-Tecmo did that whole poll to see which characters they should include in All Stars, a bunch of us westerners actually wrote him in, in a desperate attempt to get the greatest video game star in Tecmo history into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PBvOxicz-0

So instead of 'Do not pursue Lu Bu', it would be 'Do not go after Bo?'

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

markgreyam posted:

I can't tell if you're messing with me but now I'm stuck down the rabbit hole of typemoon.wikia and various Extella canon discussions so thanks for that.

What is the deal with the Fate/ games, anyway? I know it started off as a visual novel, and exploded into a whole multimedia sort of thing, but I don't actually know what the series is about.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I know it's not technically a Musou game, but what's Bladestorm: Nightmare like? It piques my interest since it's focusing on the Hundred Years War. It seems like a interesting departure from the East Asia settings of Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors.

Also, what different about the Empires line of games?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Brony Hunter posted:

We can't talk about Kessen II without an obligatory link to this classic scene -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIP2lEMqNa4

At first, I thought the joke was the fact she was pronouncing it Cow Cow instead of Tsao Tsao. Then she starts fidgeting around, and I thought maybe it was that the joke was that the animations were weird. Then she gets upset that she's interrupted and pulls out a remote control and rewinds time in order to finish what she's saying, only for it to blink back to normal and for her to start growling in a possessed voice. That I didn't expect.

I also find it funny that Cao Cao's like "Ha! A fire attack won't work with this wind!", but that's probably because I finished the Wei campaign in DW8 the other day, so I know that's not going to pan out like he thinks.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

This is veering off topic from the Musou games, but I was curious about the Koei strategy games like Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Nobunaga's Ambition. I thought I saw someone make a post about them a couple of pages back, so I wanted to ask for some info on them.

I've heard that RotTK X is considered one of the best entries in the series, and that the PS2 version got a localization (though I think I found a translation patch for the PC version). I was curious about the newest ones, RotTK XIII and Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence. I know they were both released on Steam, but I"ve also seen that they have PS4 versions, and I'm sort of curious about how they play with a controller.

I should also say that I'm not really good at strategy games, but even now and then, I like to give them a try. I remember reading about one of the games on one site, and they described as being pretty difficult and hard to approach, even if you're pretty skilled at strategy games.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I like RotK XIII but I'll be first to admit it's not exactly great. The tutorial is actually pretty good I found, so getting set up for the game is fairly easy. Once you know how to play there's two game modes to choose from, a story and objective focused Hero mode, and a more sandbox style Main mode. They're both fun for a couple of playthroughs or so, and you can play in multiple different roles (Ruler, Officier, some slob who never gets involved and just watches the story unfold from the sidelines) but afterwards that's pretty much it. The game is pretty shallow, more so compared to a lot of the other titles in the series. Also it's pretty expensive and rarely ever goes on sale.

If you're willing to drop more than usual on it, it can be fun to learn about the huge variety of often unmentioned or unfeatured officers and characters that make up RotTK, plus I'd say the presentation of the game is fantastic. Maybe not graphics wise exactly, but the music and the artwork is wonderful.

The ability to play different roles was the bit I found sort of interesting. I heard that if you take the role of a officer give you can only suggest ideas or orders to the ruler in some decisions, which is an idea I haven't really heard of in strategy games before. If you're playing as some random person who's not involved, it sounds akin to setting up a game to observe how the AI competes against each other, and seeing as how you can tweak the stats for other characters, you could set up some interesting scenarios and watch how they play out. Like I said, though, I'm not very good at strategy games in general, so I imagine I'd struggle with the game if I tried to play it legitimately, and I'm not really up to dropping sixty dollars on it..The console versions look to be a good deal cheaper (around $25-35 on Amazon), but again, I'm skeptical to how well they play with a controller. I'd still like to give it a try at some point, though.

Back to Musou games, I'm still working my way through DW8, but I was thinking about picking up another game for PS4. Right now, it's a toss-up between Warriors Orochi 3, Samurai Warriors 4, or one of the Empire games. Unless I misunderstood, the difference between SW4 and SW4-II is that 4-II has a different story and set of characters. The Empire games really caught my eye when I saw that you could create custom characters, and I always like having fun with that sort of thing. I sort of want to get Samurai Warriors Empires, but I'm wondering if I should play the regular Samurai Warriors 4 first.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Sep 11, 2017

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Empires games are generally more simulation/customization based. You won't get the main storylines going in those, for that you'll want to buy the main numbered titles. Xtreme Legends entries add more story content/missions, but didn't include the main storyline until DW8 when Xtreme Legends was bundled with the main game for a rerelease.

In that case, would you recommend that you play the main-numbered games before you play the Empires spin-off? Right now, I'm trying to decide between buying Samurai Warriors 4 Empires and Warrors Orochi 3 Ultimate, and at the moment, I'm leaning towards Empires only because the light strategy elements and the character creation make it seem more varied based on what I've experienced with DW8. At the same time, I wonder if it's better to play SW4 first, since I get the impression that you benefit from going through the story-line first.

Mostly, I'm trying not burn myself out; I really like Dynasty Warriors 8 so far from what I've played, and I want to try the other games in the series, but someone a couple pages back said not to play too many Musou games in a row.

Also, is there a way to display your inputs in DW8, or any of the Musou games? For a couple of the characters, it feels like you have to be really specific with the inputs for some of their combos (Zhuge Liang I've had the most trouble with).

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Dj Meow Mix posted:

If you're more focused on storylines you'll wanna play Samurai Warriors 4 or 4-II, both of which have character customization (well, I'm pretty sure 4-II does, I haven't played that one myself.) If you've already played one of those and just want more SW4, then Empires is a fine bet. In terms of sheer amount of content WO3U is probably the winner there, though SW4 feels better to play in my opinion. The Orochi games are also grindy as hell, and likely will burn you out if you're coming off another musou game.

The recommendation to take it slow on these games is earnest. Regardless, play whatever sounds more fun to you. You clearly enjoy the series so I don't think you're really gonna be disappointed either way. I just want to make clear that there aren't really 'end goals' in Empires games. It's more like baby's first anime Civilization and when diplomacy fails (and it always will, by the time it doesn't you've already won) you play a musou game.

Orochi 3 appealed to me when I read about the set up. Having the Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors crossover along with other Tecmo characters sounds goofy as hell. Hearing that it's a grind puts me off a little, as I've tried playing Ambition mode in DW8 a bit, and it sort of feels like that (though I blame that partially on not picking the best character to start it with).

I watched the GiantBomb Quick Look for SW4 Empires, and baby's first anime civilization is a pretty apt description. For me, one of the appeals of the Warriors games so far is the mixing of historical periods like the Three Kingdoms and Sengoku-era Japan with crazy anime designs and goofiness. There have been times where I've wanted to play one of the Paradox grand strategy games like Crusader Kings 2 or Europa Unversalis, because the idea of taking control of a country and working to make an alternate-history thing sounds fun, but I've always been put off by how complex they are, and I imagine it's not as fun in execution as it is in concept. Empires appeals to me because it hits on that same basic idea, but the grand strategy component is replaced with "run into a battle with a guitar weapon and rock your enemies out to victory."

I also remembered that I bought One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 a while ago, and I still haven't played it yet, so maybe I should give that a look first. I am sort of curious if that has the same kind of 'tactical' element as Dynasty Warriors where you need to be concerned about your teammates or prioritize targets.

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Sengoku Rance, clearly

I just looked this up.

Uh...what the hell is it? Also, is it any good

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

Are you at all familiar with the Sengoku Basara franchise?
I'm not, but I'll check it out.

Dj Meow Mix posted:

It's an h-rpg. I only know about it via reputation lol (and the OST which is pretty good)

Warriors games and their lookalikes will all have that light tactical element you're looking for, so the anime Warriors, Fate Extella, Sengoku Basara, Neptunia, Senran Kagura etc will all have something if you like the gameplay system. How far down the rabbit hole you're willing to go depends on your taste in anime, I guess. If you want to stick to feudal history stuff then DW, SW and Sengoku Basara are what you're looking at. I guess Bladestorm as well.

I've heard people compare Senran Kagura to the Musou games a few times before. I asked about in the Senran Kagura thread, and there was the sentiment that the SK games were more straightforward, and you didn't have to babysit the AI characters. (Then again, there was also the sentiment that the games were more akin to Devil May Cry or God of War, so I don't know)

I know I've had a couple of hang-ups in DW8 trying to fulfill certain requirements. I had to restart the Han Castle mission in the Wu campaign a couple of times because I couldn't stop the flood gates in time. It's also a little aggravating when you try to rush to aid an ally who's in distress, only to get stopped by gates and enemy officers you have to defeat first. It's not something I totally hate, though; I think it's probably part of what keeps the game engaging. However, there are times where you just want to go in and smack the crap out of mobs of enemies without having to rush back across the entire battlefield because Cao Cao can't handle some generic officer.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Magil of Shadow posted:

Oh man, I'm legit curious to hear your reaction once you get into it, if and when you do. I loving LOVE the Basara games, if only for how fast paced they can get. A shame we'll never get another one over here, and Basara 4 will never be translated properly, because good lord, did I love playing 3, to the point of picking up a copy of UTAGE just for the quality of life benefits.

Plus, you know, being able to play as Kenshin semi-properly.

I looked up some game-play footage, and at first, I didn't see anything real special until I saw a clip from the second game with a lady shooting enemies with dual pistols, only to pull out a chaingun and start firing. :drat: Now I'm interested.

I was going to ask what the opinion was on the Ambition mode in Dynasty Warriors 8. The impression I get is that it's sort of a 'lite' version of the game-play from Empires. That being said, it feels pretty slow and sort of half-baked. You cap out on Fame pretty quickly, but gathering allies takes a while, and you burn through materials pretty quickly. I also can't seem to make it past five or six battles before officers start seeming to get really tough (they start taking a lot of damage and can stun-lock you in the air until you health is nearly gone). I've been using Zhang Liao (as he seems a little overpowered, though that might be due to how i have him set up), and I got him to level 50 or so, but I'm wondering how much of a difference your level makes on the difficulty. I've been mostly starting battles on Normal difficulty. Some guides I've looked at online say to exploit a method where you can sell items or animals to get gold fast and buy items to level yourself up really quickly.

I should note that I'm playing DW8XL (specifically the PC port), and that XL adds a second story'/campaign after you complete the camp.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Ghost-Slug posted:

Sounds like you're looking at footage from the PS2 games or PSP games since you're describing Nou-hime. The gameplay improved in SB3 and SB4 a fair bit over the PS2 games and the PSP games are spin-offs based on a series of mecha games so their gameplay is pretty different.

The first PSP game does have a great intro though: https://youtu.be/m2lV3SBJEj0

Most importantly, only two entries in the series are available in English and the first is a well-known localisation butcher job so if you care about playing in English your only real option is Sengoku Basara 3 / Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes on PS3/Wii. If you don't care about the language (and in my opinion, you shouldn't because it's very easy to pick up and play regardless) then you can buy Sengoku Basara 4 Sumeragi on the Japanese PSN store and use some online guides to help with stuff like weapon customisation.

The video I found was just a collection of clips showing the series over the years, and that was the first clip that caught my interest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMX8fB-6m1Y

I found Samurai Heroes on Amazon (probably won't pick it up right now), but I did another search on Amazon and I found that they had physical imports listed for Sumeragi for PS4 and an HD Collection for PS3 with what looks like the first three games. I've thought about setting a Japanese PSN in the past for other things, but is there any advantage in doing that over buying a physical copy?

Fumaofthelake posted:

For Nobunaga's Ambition, If I have Ascension installed is there any reason at all to keep the base game?

Policenaut posted:

No, they're separate games.

Is there a thread for the Nobunaga's Ambition/Romance of the Three Kingdom games, or would it be possible to get one set up? I'm still curious about trying one and wanted to ask some more about it, but I didn't want to pollute the thread with off-topic chatter.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

PureRok posted:

Yes. It actually added a little tension to an already pretty tensionless game. "Will I be able to save so-and-so in time?" or "Can I stop this message from being sent" is much more interesting than "Well, I already have a guy over there so I'll just press a button and bam, done."

This is why I always shove my secondary as "Stay" or whatever with the main camp in SW4.

Edit: I'll elaborate more on it. The biggest thing I don't like about having a second person to control is that I have to babysit them. I play Warriors game to run around and kill a bunch of dudes, not play some sort of weird 1 unit RTS. Having to constantly adjust where the other guy is going/doing while I'm trying to just have fun killing things and doing the odd mission that pops up just ruins the flow of the gameplay for me. Jumping in and out of the menu every 20-30 seconds just gets irritating.

But then, I liked DW6 and didn't have an issue with it and was surprised to see how much people didn't like it after I had played it.

From what I've experience with DW8, time-sensitive events (at least on Normal difficulty), are more tedious than difficult only because backtracking across the map is slow, even with the horse. You can hit the Special/Musou button while riding to use a bar of energy to a speed boost, but you can only do that three times at most before you're out of energy. Switching characters removes some of the urgency of reaching a location in time, but it sounds like it cuts out that tedium.

I'm still thinking about getting one of the Empires games, and hearing that SW4 gives you the ability to switch characters makes me think I show go with SW4E. I thought about maybe trying DW Empires 8, since I'm familiar with DW8XL. At the same time, the gameplay videos of DW8E makes it looks like all the levels are from the main game, and after going through them all multiple times in the story campaigns and Ambition mode, I'm more interested in breaking away from that.

On another note, what are the thoughts on Dynasty Warriors 9? I haven't looked into it too much, but the open-world approach is interesting, but makes me think it'll pan out pretty badly, since 'open-world' has become one of those red flags when it comes to design approaches.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Sep 18, 2017

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Colgate posted:

I just started play 8 Empires after having it in my Steam Library for half a year. It seems very janky, even for a warriors spinoff.

Do mean something with the game setup/mechanics or something about the presentation? If it's the latter, it might be due to the fact that it's the PC port. DW8XL suffers from not having proper displays for the key-mapping or any change in the display if using a controller, and I remember someone saying that it's missing visual effects from the PS4 version. In general, it seems like Koei-Tecmo has never really been very good with PC ports

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I got ahold of Samurai Warriors 4 Empires today. I spent the afternoon playing through the Battle of Okehazama with Nobunaga (ending the game after completing his goal.)

Coming off of DW8XL, the general presentation feels a lot more polished. There are some minor frame-rate drops in areas with a lot of enemies, but that might be due to the fact that I'm playing on the PS4 Pro, and I need to enable Boost Mode to see if it affects the performance. I think DW8XL's interface is sort of bland, but SW4E looks really good overall.

Gameplay-wise, I like the dashing attacks you get. On Normal difficulty, it does seem a little harder than DW8. You only get one Musou gauge, though it seems to fill up pretty fast, so I guess that's the trade-off. I have some minor issues with commands in the Politics mode (the screen with the Castle cut-out/diorama). The thing I can't figure out (maybe I glossed over it in the tutorials) is what the arrows correspond to with you magistrates.

Gotta say, though, based on the videos I saw of DW8 Empires, it seems a bit paired down in terms of customization. With that one, it looked like you could choose the look of your home, conference room, etc. In SW4E, all you can really customize are your banners and the wallpaper in your castle. It also looked like you could choose the background/origin of your created characters.

The character creation was actually the one thing I was really looking forward to, but it seems pretty disappointing. There's not a huge variety with the armor/clothing options, and it doesn't seem like you have a lot of options when customizing the look of your characters. Maybe there are some items you unlock by playing through the game more, but I imagine a lot of it is DLC you have to purchase. I made a handful of poorly dressed abominations interesting characters to try and put together something silly for the Genesis mode, but I ran out of ideas.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

You're gonna do all of those and not mention Nobunaga Oda?

SW - is Cao Cao.

SB - is LITERALLY A SATAN.

When I first started playing Dynasty Warriors 8, I kept thinking that Cao Cao looked like Oda Nobunaga

They have the same style of facial hair, and look sort of similar on top of that. What sets Nobunaga apart is the plume of hair sticking out from the back.

I wonder if the similarity was intentional.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Takoluka posted:

Warriors Orochi at least jokes about it, so maybe.

I have to say it is interesting going through the Koei wiki and seeing how the character designs have evolved over the years in the Musou games and in the simulation games. It's also interesting seeing how the RotTK games started incorporating the characters designs from Dynasty Warriors.

Policenaut posted:

DW9 gets Cao Xiu.

That's...an interesting choice?

I sort of wonder why characters like Ma Su, Ding Yuan, Gonsung Zan, or Wang Yun don't get a full-blown character designs. They play more prominently into some of the major events and pivotal points, but they're still just represented by generic officers.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Lunethex posted:

I have a pet affection for this series but I'm just not sure about DW9 still. Hopefully we'll see some tangible video content sooner or later.

I've only just gotten into the series, but what I've seen of DW9 still makes me skeptical. Open-world design is one those things that has gotten sort of played out in recent years, with a lot of games utilizing it without really filling the world with substantial content.

On the other hand, I'm still curious about how it'll be implemented in the grand scheme of things. The idea of being able to traveling from Luoyang to Chibi and witnessing the Battle of Red Cliffs is interesting compared to just selecting it from a list of stages. The open-world design also seems like it would benefit in depicting the movement of armies through the land and attacking castle and whatnot. That being said, I know it probably won't be as executed in the way I think it will, but I'm stil cautiously optimistic.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Policenaut posted:

There's been a bunch of stuff coming out of TGS, like full 20 minute gameplay demos and such, and it looks interesting. One of the big gimmicks is that you have your big money battles like Hu Lao or Chi Bi but there are lots of tinier battles and events surrounding them you can complete to make those battles easier, so like you could learn about a supply delivery going to Hu Lao and intercept it and then during the Hu Lao fight they may not have as many supplies so their forces aren't as strong for example. The link I posted earlier shows a lot of the smaller things going on, like tiny skirmishes and hunting and exploring cities.

I watched one of the TGS presentations (the 50 minute one with Xiahou Dun in the first part), and I sort of figured that it worked along those lines.

The change to the weapon system I picked up on when I saw you could plant explosive pots and then pull out an bow to shoot them with. I had heard that Xiaohou Yun lost his bow weapon, which made me think that the change was done because him having two bows would be sort of redundant.

The new side-content is more what worries me. You could make a drinking game from going through Steam and finding all the games that use exploration/hunting/crafting system. It might be fine, though. It just seem like something that's drastically different from Omega Force's other work.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I was going through Mobygames for info on Koei games, and I found this gem from the back of Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV PC box.

"Prepare to be romanced!"

That must have been an interesting day for the marketing department.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Deposing the Ten Eunuchs was 2nd century equivalent of draining the swamp.

Something I've been meaning to ask about is how Cao Cao is characterized in the DW games. Unless I misunderstood, the Romance of the Three Kingdoms novel characterized Cao Cao as a villain, whereas in real life, he was considered to be a skilled leader. There was something I was reading or some video I was watching related to RotTK where they talked about how awful Cao Cao was, and I thought, 'but that was just how the novel portrayed him'.

I made the observation that Cao Cao and Oda Nobunaga share a similar character design, but thinking about it later, both of them are also the same in the sense that they are usually depicted as being evil, but more recent/modern interpretations paint them in a better light.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Is there some of extra requirement for getting the sixth weapons in Dynasty Warriors 8 XL? I've been trying to get Zhang Liao 6th weapon (the Shadow Slayers), but they don't seem to show up, despite completing the requirements in time. Do you have to collect the prior weapons as well?

EDIT2: Figured it out; you have to increase the difficulty up at least 'Hard' for the weapons to drop. Either I missed that or it wasn't noted anywhere save for one FAQ I found.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Oct 12, 2017

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

TheFlyingLlama posted:

It's possible that there's more than one, but this

http://www.e-reading.club/book.php?book=93594

was the one previously linked in the thread. It is a hell of a thing

Oh god, I tried reading a bit from the Peach Garden chapter, and the name-changes are hilarious

Three Heroes Swear Brotherhood In The Peach Garden; One Victory Shatters The Rebels In Battlegrounds. posted:

The Emperor read this memorial with deep sighs, and Chief Eunuch Harding-Saito, from his place behind the throne, anxiously noted these signs of grief. An opportunity offering, Harding-Saito informed his fellows, and a charge was trumped up against Thompson-Salgado, who was driven from the court and forced to retire to his country house. With this victory the eunuchs grew bolder. Ten of them, rivals in wickedness and associates in evil deeds, formed a powerful party known as the Ten Regular Attendants--Bingham-Spector, Cook-Benson, Pace-Mulligan, Weinstock-Dresser, Holcomb-Fletcher, Kerwin-Rosario, Petrone-Hawk, McCullum-Ogden, Harding-Saito, and Kessler-Wynn.

[...]

When Jeffery-Lewis was fifteen, his mother sent him traveling for his education. For a time he served Roth-Vincent and Follette-Lundstrom as masters. And he became great friends with Northrop-Kaminski.

Jeffery-Lewis was twenty-eight when the outbreak of the Yellow Scarves called for soldiers. The sight of the notice saddened him, and he sighed as he read it. Suddenly a rasping voice behind him cried, "Sir, why sigh if you do nothing to help your country?"

Turning quickly he saw standing there a man about his own height, with a bullet head like a leopard's, large eyes, a swallow pointed chin, and whiskers like a tiger's. He spoke in a loud bass voice and looked as irresistible as a dashing horse. At once Jeffery-Lewis saw he was no ordinary man and asked who he was.

"Floyd-Chardin is my name," replied the stranger. "I live near here where I have a farm; and I am a wine seller and a butcher as well; and I like to become acquainted with worthy humans. Your sighs as you read the notice drew me toward you."

[...]

Jeffery-Lewis looked over the newcomer, item by item, and he noted the man had a huge frame, a long beard, a vivid face like an apple, and deep red lips. He had eyes like a phoenix's and fine bushy eyebrows like silkworms. His whole appearance was dignified and awe-inspiring. Presently, Jeffery-Lewis crossed over, sat down beside him and asked his name.

"I am Yale-Perez," replied he. "I am a native of the east side of the river, but I have been a fugitive on the waters for some five years, because I slew a ruffian who, since he was powerful, was a bully. I have come to join the army here."

To establish his land of benevolence, Jeffery Lewis decided to seek out the the famed strategist Orchard Lafayette, known by his title of The Sleeping Dragon.

Not even joking: https://www.e-reading.club/chapter.php/93594/100/Guanzhong_-_Romance_of_the_Three_Kingdoms_%28vol._1%29.html
:roflolmao:

EDIT: Oh god, Cao Cao is renamed 'Murphy-Shackley,' and Dong Zhuo is renamed to 'Wilson-Donahue.'

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Nov 2, 2017

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

wielder posted:

The Power-Up kit does provide a significant improvement over the base release in terms of RPG opportunities, but I don't think it is strictly necessary in order to enjoy the game, unless you're coming from ROTK X and nothing less than that will do. If you're comparing XIII to Sphere of Influence, the gap in quality isn't huge, IMHO.

Also, considering that K-T rarely goes for crazy discounts...you could always get both and see it as buying a full game plus its expansion for $52 USD (possibly much less than that in some areas, due to regional pricing).

I've played a bit of ROTK 10 (the PS2 version), but I don't think I really have a handle on it. I started two games (one with Wang Yun, another with Zhang Liao, both around the time of the Yellow Turban Rebellion), but I wasn't sure what to do after a point. I just took assignments from the palace, filled them out, then turned them in. I was expecting to get into a battle after a while, but either I didn't wait long enough or I didn't have things set up where the rulers would permit it.
That being said, I did like the setup of the Officer system, so that's what makes me want to get the PUK for ROTK 13.

At the same time, $50 is still a lot, and my brief experience with ROTK 10 makes me think I won't have any better luck with 13. The only reason why I'd buy it now is like you said: Koei-Tecmo very rarely puts their stuff on sale, so it's a matter of grabbing it in the brief time it has a price cut. However, I think I'm going to pass on it for now, and wait until I have a better grasp on ROTK10 (I might check out a play-through on YouTube to see what you're supposed to do.)

Is there any other Koei-Tecmo stuff on sale that's worth checking out?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Policenaut posted:

So I finally got DW8 to click after trying for ages now (the trick for me was playing Lu Bu's campaign first so everyone had good weapons starting out) but as I was playing it I got to thinking: how on Earth is DW9 going to handle its campaign? Has KT explained that yet? Because you've got the open world thing right, and the passage of time. Do you pick a force as usual? When they canonically die do you have to pick a new one? Can I just START with Sima Zhao at Yellow Turban Rebellion even though he might not have even existed by that point? I've never considered this until now.

The RotTK games have you select a period of time before you pick a character, so it might be set up like that.Maybe there'll be some form of 'free mode,' where you can play characters in different time periods.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

I still don't get why Zhao Yun is the face of the series in Japan; he's not even the prettiest boy, he's just kind of generically attractive and dull as poo poo.

Well, he's got a spear, and the face of Samurai Warriors is Yukimura Sanada, who's signature weapon is also a spear, so maybe it's something to do with spears.

They also look similar to each other as well.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Policenaut posted:

As someone who's been playing through DW8XL's campaign, if I ever have to play as any of these poo poo tier late stage Shu/Wu movesets then it'll be too soon.

Very few of these new characters have weapons with movesets that I actually enjoy and I end up slapping a Halberd or something on them because my God if I have to play as one of Guan Yu's shitkids again I'm gonna end it all. Wei has some okay ones and I've always liked everyone from Jin, but there are so many newcomers with weapon gimmicks that I despise. Burn it all, start over.

I remember liking Guan Yinping, but that might just be due to the fact that one of her special moves is to just reach into the ground, rip out huge boulder, and toss it at the enemy. As for the rest of Guan Yu's kids, I can't remember anything about them. I had to look them up to remember who was who, and the only other one I sort of remember liking was Guan Xing's wingblades.

I thought that the absolute weapon/moveset was Lianshi's crossbow.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Billzasilver posted:

https://youtu.be/NBMYRyYJKr4

:black101::black101::black101::black101::black101::black101:

Total War is doing a three kingdoms game. For those who don’t know about their recent titles, Rome 2 was awful, but Shogun 2 and Warhammer were both really good. I’m very optimistic.

:eyepop: Whoa, that looks cool.

Now if only I was any good at Total War games. :sigh:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Tae posted:

Today I learned that shovel knight is in hyrule warriors :psyduck:

ImpAtom posted:

Did you mean the Phantom?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

lurksion posted:

Though this is mostly in DW8 Empires, haven't touched DW8XL for a long while, so grain of caution there.

I want to play DW8 Empires, but then I realized that I also have stuff in SW4E I still need to complete. I also got Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate recently, and I haven't really made much progress in it yet. In turn, I remembered that I installed One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 a while ago and haven't played it since. I also remembeedr Dynasty Warriors 9 is due to come out next month and- -

Oh god, I've fallen into the pit of too many Musou games. :negative: I was warned about this.

On a more serious note, I played Orochi 3 yesterday, and I like it so far. The time-travel story gimmick is pretty fun, and it makes me interested in unlocking more characters. I've heard that it's really grindy though.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES
English VA is confirmed!

I loved the dumbass english voice acting in DW8 it was so perfect in the dumbass game that is DW.
That was a huge thing that was missing for me in DW8E.

Sounds like they replaced Douglas Rye as the voice of Cao Cao, though. :sigh:

Actually, I did a search on IMDB, and it looks like there's a credits page showing some of the VAs (though it may not be authentic): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt7447126/

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

Have you not played a proper DW game before? Or you have and just making sure all is right in the world?

EDIT: Okay, I watched that video and it only has that one part in English. Even with a different Cao Cao, which is a loss, it still sounds like DW should: Cheesy as hell.

I noticed that too. The latter half still has all the audio and text in Japanese. It makes me wonder if maybe the English VA in the trailer is just a placeholder.

But yeah, even in the later DW games, the voice-acting (while leagues better than the hilarity of DW3) is little iffy at times. It depends on the character, though.

For example, Ling Tong's voice actor in DW8 is...weird. He's not really bad, per se, but it sounds like someone who's trying to hide an accent when he speaks.

8XL changed the VA for Zhang Liao (I think it's because 8XL expands on the Lu Bu campaign, and Roger Craig Smith wasn't available to record new lines), and Joshua Tomar voice doesn't seem suited to him. Tomar doesn't seem like a bad VA, and since 8XL was the game I started with, that's the voice I now associate with Zhang Liao (honestly, I sort of like it, cause it has a nerdy "I'LL HARM YOU! NGGGggghh..." tone to it, which I find amusing :allears:)

The worst to me is Jiang Wei, because it sounds like the actor was directed to deliver every line like he's trying to talk while simultaneously trying pulling a thorn that they stepped on.

Other than that, the voice acting tends to be pretty good, or at least serviceable. I think a lot of the VAs are people known for doing a lot of voice work in animation (Laura Bailey, Kyle Hebert, Wendee Lee, Richard Epcar).

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Real Cool Catfish posted:

“I fight for the peasants and hope” cries Liu Bei, tears streaming down his face. He proceeds to do a backflip and summon lightning, roasting another 50 terrified, ill-equipped farmers.

"I seek to create a land of benevolence" shouts Liu Bei, as he bounds over the table and slam dunks his infant son into the ground, bouncing him into a air-juggle combo.

Davincie posted:

—Among the many trees along the road and so on are noticeably high “Watchtowers.” Since you can use them to check out your surroundings, be sure to climb up when you find one.

—By checking out your surroundings from a Watchtower, you can acquire a vast range of information about the surrounding area that will prove useful in missions, as well as exploration.

Is there some sort of law that if you make an open-world game, you need to dot the map with towers to gain info on the map? I was surprised to see it in Breath of the Wild. I would have thought that Ubisoft buried that concept into the ground.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Uh...I don't know. Maybe if you made some sort of hill at the center of each area, and you could send a bird up and it would come back and the map would be filled in...somehow...

I'm not saying I can think of anything better, or that it's necessarily bad. It's just become a trope in open-world games.

Maleketh posted:

Have it already revealed, since by this point China had been pretty thoroughly mapped?
That works too, though it sounds like maybe it would just give info on enemies or animals present in the area, as it looks like the whole map is already revealed, based on some of the trailers.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jan 18, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I was thinking about while watching the portion with the house customization, and I was thinking it would be pretty cool if it somehow got Workshop support on Steam and you could load custom furniture and costumes into the game.

Then I remember that Koei-Tecmo PC ports don't tend to be very good, and I doubt they'd have support for that. :sigh:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

A Bystander posted:

Do not try to Platinum WO3 Ultimate, please I beg you

I just picked up WO3 Ultimate. What's the issue with getting platinum for it?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Skwirl posted:

I had no clue it started as a fighter.

I first found out about DW1 being a fighting game when the Super Best Friends covered in an episode of Scrublords: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04KGi21prNk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Maleketh posted:

Considering the dub quality of the last few releases, I think complaining is fair. "Not as bad as it could be" isn't the same as "Good".

Yeah, as amusing as the old DW3-era dubs are, it's not something I'm really crazy about seeing return. I thought the dubbing in DW8 (don't know when the voice cast got started) was pretty good, and gave each character a distinct voice.

Honestly, I thought maybe they weren't going to even do a dub. It seems like a few of the Musou games that have come out just stuck with translating the text and leaving the original JP audio.