Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

Does Dynasty Warriors 7 have battles beyond the Wu Zhang Plains?

I got a horrible copy of DW4 where end stages and Cao Cao's hordes show up, the action is now 5 fps until I win. DW5 is so much better in every way.
It has a whole campaign past Wu Zhang Plains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Link or Ganondorf would be pretty :black101: too.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Please let that make it overseas! Warriors on iPhone would be the best time-killer.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

There's Dynasty Warriors 4 Hyper, Warriors Orochi, Samurai Warriors 2, Dynasty Warriors 6, and Dynasty Warriors Online.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Which is of course why said game was only for PS3 and never made it over from Japan :argh:

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Maybe we'll get to play as people like Bat, Yuria, and Lin :getin:

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Jibo posted:

You only say this because you haven't played Sengoku Basara 3.
Which is also on Wii.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

So...why was it Deng Ai that encounters him?
Zhong Hui wasn't in 6.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I really need to play Orochi 3, but I might as well wait and see if the WiiU version gets released here at this point.
It's a confirmed launch title in the US, Europe, and Japan. It's even downloadable on the eShop at launch.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Is there at least some sort of pattern of when you're required to unlock it?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Static Rook posted:

Thanks! Yeah, I'll probably just get 7 for now then pick up XL later. Reading the OP, it looks like they don't bother with English voices anymore, that's a bummer. Playing splitscreen and laughing at the terrible voicework was part of the charm, but eh, I can see why they'd cut it.

I also ordered that 4 volume set of the novel, hooray for Amazon giftcards! Too bad none of the sellers were Prime eligible, I've gotten spoiled by free shipping.
Don't worry, 7 still has the awesome English dub, it's only Warriors Orochi 3 that doesn't.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

KoldPT posted:

Finished the Shu regular route while the forums were dead. Is it just me, or are 90% of the characters in it pretty awful?

At least Guan Yinping's hilarious.
That's about par for Shu's course, but yeah, a step down from 7. Benevolence!

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 26, 2014

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, DW8XL is probably the best to start with if you haven't played any of the other games, and SW4 has the most refined gameplay since it's the most recent. WO3 is great because it has a lot of content including a crazy amount of playable characters, as mentioned above, though the gameplay is a little clunkier since it's based on the DW7 engine. Also of those three, only DW8XL has the English dub, if that matters to you.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

The Warriors series returns to its roots for a fighting game crossover.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

That's because the NHK has an annual year-long historical drama series, and 2016's was based around the Sanada Clan, with the games functioned as a sort of tie-in since they're all set in the Sengoku period and already feature Yukimura so prominently.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Chinook posted:

Thanks. Regular 8, right? Not XL
The PS4 edition of 8 includes both the base game and XL, so you get all the main storylines plus Lu Bu's and the side quests. It's just titled a bit ambiguously.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Reminder that it also comes out for the Switch that day, for folks that want to pursue anime Lu Bu on the go.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Voted Zhang Liao because yeah and then Xu Huang and Cao Ren because I'd love for them to get some spotlight and be as cool in-game as they actually were :gbsmith:

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

If only Cao Ren and Xu Huang had the opportunities to be the badasses they truly were instead of one-note and mostly-AWOL :sigh:

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Lunethex posted:

What is it that everyone saw in Zhao Yun again that makes him so ultra popular?

(Jiang Wei should be dead last on that poll imo)
Basically just that he followed Romance-glorified Liu Bei from the start and wasn't a monster historically like Zhang Fei or Guan Yu, so they were able to project all kinds of falsified heroics onto him. From there, Koei made him the poster child and very handsome.

The top five is a travesty, and Fa Zheng especially doesn't deserve to be sixth from the bottom. At least Pang Tong squeaked it into the top ten, love that weirdo mothman.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

lurksion posted:

Who is Xu Shu? I have no recollection of him in DW8 somehow.
That's because there's not really much to him. He joins Shu for a few battles, all while saying how much better a strategist Zhuge Liang is, and then is captured and conscripted by Wei until he dies at Chi Bi. The most action he sees is in the two factions' hypothetical routes where he lives to the end and remains loyal to whichever faction's story you're in.

RentACop posted:

I'm surprised Yue Ying didn't end up in the bottom half, but not displeased. Also how bad do you have to be to lose to Liu Shan lmao
Guan Suo really is that bad. At least the games make Liu Shan lightly endearing in a "he's trying" kind of way. Guan Suo just praises his dead rear end in a top hat dad.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/902243133953515520

Welp, rags-to-badass commander Ding Feng came in dead last and lifelong rear end in a top hat/noted child-murderer Gan Ning came in second because Koei made him a pretty boy.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Aww come on, how'd a non-present weirdo like Zuo Ci get more votes than Meng Huo and Zhang Jiao combined?

Takoluka posted:

Wang Yuanji deserves 1st. :colbert:
Please, she's not even the best woman in Jin.

Zhang Chunhua deserves to take it all :colbert:

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Nobunaga's Ambition, probably.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Ryoga posted:

I didn't keep up with info since it's release, but was the sanada spinoff basara game as garbage as I think it was?
Yukimura-fellating aside, I thought it was pretty solid and had a nice variety of new levels (including more difficult side-missions that aren't as Sanada-centric). There are some frustrating levels that experiment with things like forced stealth with limited map visibility, but there are also open-world levels that give some insight into what we can expect from DW9. It helps that it builds off of Samurai Warriors 4 gameplay-wise, which is my favorite base besides Pirate Warriors 3.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

We've got new Musou games on the horizon (in Japan, at least):

quote:

Koei Tecmo has filed various Musou-related trademarks in Japan.

The list of trademarks include:

“Isekai Musou” (Other World Warriors)
“Gakuen Musou” (Academy Warriors)
“Tensei Musou” (Reincarnation Warriors) – Note: This is likely not Shin Megami Tensei-related, as Atlus would own the trademark, not Koei Tecmo.
“Musou Play“
“Musou Mode“

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

The only bad part of the Lu Bu AU is there’s no Lingqi for some reason.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Said aging is only for Nobunaga and Mitsuhide, however. And yeah, finally including Yasuke rules, his design kicks rear end.

I want these despite myself:
https://twitter.com/bk2128/status/1385579769492738051

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

I probably won't get either one, but I noticed Pirate Warriors 3 Deluxe is on sale on Switch for 8 bucks, and Pirate Warriors 4 is on sale for 24 bucks (and a bunch of its DLC is half off too, the Deluxe for 4 is still full price though). What was the general opinion on these games? I think I remember hearing one of them was pretty bad.
Pirate Warriors 3 is generally considered to be one of the best spinoff games, while 4 suffered in comparison with things like a truncated story mode. Can personally vouch for PW3 being tied with Hyrule Warriors for my favorite Musou, with a wide variety of characters with varying movesets.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Three Hopes is looking good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpCxRE7xCAg

It feels like this video alone demonstrates more varied movesets than the whole of the original (saying this as someone who loved Fire Emblem Warriors).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

It and Pirate Warriors 3 really feel like the peak, especially compared to their inferior sequels. I did quite enjoy Three Hopes as a different evolution of the genre, far better than the original Fire Emblem Warriors.