Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

Walrus Pete posted:

I haven't been deep into a Dynasty Warriors game since 3 (played some of 4 and 5 but 3 consumed an entire summer for me and a friend), could someone explain the XL games? If I wanted to play DW7, does XL have the original game plus the extra stuff, or is it actually an expansion pack that only has the extra stuff in it? The OP makes it sound like it was designed to be installed on top of DW7 but obviously since it's a disc and not DLC I'm not fully understanding it.

The XL games are side stories that have their own standalone content, but can be "installed" onto their parent game so that you can use your pre-existing progress and whatnot with the new content and add some new features or characters to the old game. The way they work (which is weird these days) is that you pop in the XL disk and then select an option from the main menu that's usually labelled something like "import" or "install", then swap in your corresponding DW disk, let the system read it, then swap the XL disk back in and go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

All this Pokemon talk in the musou thread is weirding me out. Not that I have a problem with it, but it makes me wonder if Pokemon Musou is ever coming. I know next to nothing about Pokemon, but which one of them would be the "grunts" if it was a musou game?

Zubats, rattatas and tentacools. You could throw a rock and not hit the ground for all the drat trash pokemon wandering around in those games.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Also be advised that episode eighteen is a legit tearjerker.

"My land, my beautiful land." :smith:

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Chortles posted:

Err Chachi, I'd say that the series is FULL of tearjerkers... such as its version of Sun Jian's death.

Good lord that show makes Huang Gai look like such a badass. :allears:

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Chortles posted:

"Cao Cao has a strange fetish." :haw: (For those only knowing the story from DW, this is set before Sun Quan's decision to ally with Liu Bei before Chi Bi.)

I want to piggyback on this post and add that fans of Lu Su will love his portrayal in this series. He just dunks on everyone and it's pretty clear that he could have run rings around basically the entire Sun family were he a less honest person.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

HenryEx posted:

Well, that was a lot of info on RotK on the last page. Thanks to all of you.

I decided to take a look at RotK XI (they seem to be using Dynasty Warriors 4 models in the game?) and am working my way through the tutorial alongside a random game i opened up. I could swear somewhere in the Tutorial (and somewhere on the internet) i read that you could put your cities / forces under AI control for some time and take control back after a while.

I'll be damned if i can find the option. Does anyone know where it is? Google failed me on this.

That's called establishing a district. Look under the menu options that are lower in the city commands list, and remember that you can manage your districts from any city - not just the ones you want to put on autopilot. Also, a great way to make sure that your main territory has enough AP to do what you want each turn is to use one of your less active districts as a bank of AP and money to reward your officers.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Omp posted:

Does anybody else feel like Dynasty Warriors should end with 7?

You shut your drat mouth, the series still has a ton of potential yet to tap. :mad:

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Yeah, Warriors Orochi 3 has pretty much definitely buried the whole "historical/mythological figures only" thing what with the ninja gaiden characters on the cast.

Which means now Koei needs to get From Software on the phone and license Solaire, Laurentius, Siegmeyer and Tarkus for the next crossover title :syoon:

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

MissileWaster posted:

E: The main dude I used in 5 fought with nunchaku, I can't remember his name for the life of me. Anyone have any ideas, and is he available in 7?

That's Ling Tong. He's in 7, although he's not nearly as ridiculous in terms of power.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh my god. They'd fit in perfectly. Also Sieglinde can be there for the necessary moe slot.

You could really make a case for a ton of Souls characters to show up in a musou game: Biorr, Patches, Logan and Quelana are just a few that I can think of off the top of my head who have enough personality or visually interesting design to fit the bill. Heck, even some of the humanoid bosses would work - considering Gyuki and Dodomeki, you could easily shove Ornstein and Smough in.

EDIT: And considering the whole "the fabric of reality is really thin" justification the Souls games use to justify their multiplayer mechanics you literally need only the flimsiest of excuses to have them show up. Yeah, Solaire wants to gently caress up some evildoers in crazy bizarro Chinapan, what of it? :colbert:

Chachi fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Sep 15, 2012

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Twelve by Pies posted:

I do have a question. I purchased Attack Up ++ with Dian Wei, is this a passive skill that you don't equip? It didn't show up on my seal list so that's my assumption, but I just wanted to check and make sure.

You're correct, anything you purchase with a character's growth points is a passive expansion that is always in effect.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Ambivalent posted:

So what is the future of the RTK series for those of us in the English Speaking world? Last I've played is RTK XI.

I hear the twelfth installment is coming to the WiiU and possibly the PS3. I imagine a PC version will be available, too.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Policenaut posted:

RoTK12 is on PC, PS3, and Wii U but they probably aren't gonna see US release.

I saw the WiiU version on a pre-order list at my local gamestop. I know that isn't exactly conclusive proof, but it sure looks promising!

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Lu Su loving where, Koei?! I want a Wu strategist who isn't an insufferable prick :mad:

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Oh my, just look who one of the newcomers for DW8 is :syoon:

It's Lu Su

Chachi fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 23, 2012

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Chortles posted:

It's not the 2010 live-action series version so it doesn't count :colbert:

Would Chen Gong being on the same leak roster that said he was coming up help salve that a bit?

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

The GIG posted:

Only think I don't like about it is that since Sun Ce and Sun Jian still get to exist, Sun Quan goes back to being a two-bit chump nobody. :smith:

As it should be :smug:

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

They really just need to bring back Pang Tong's old moveset from the PS2 games. He won't need a new weapon, but it's pretty much completely distinct from Zhang Jiao - and it was also super fun to use.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

5er posted:

Well, I hope at least these kids aren't the same bishie/teenage kawaii bullshit we got out of Guan Suo and Bao Sanniang.

Considering Guan Xing looks a lot like Xing Cai in that scanned magazine page, you may not want to hold your breath :ughh:

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Guan Xing and Zhang Bao at least make a small amount of sense, because they were involved in the conflict with Wu following the deaths of their fathers - recapturing the black dragon and taking revenge on Pan Zhang and all that, etc.. They also had a role in a couple of the campaigns against the north.

Why we got catgirl and her beau instead of soldiers like Cheng Pu or Yu Jin remains a mystery, of course.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Belzac posted:

Suo and his wife are in because they're pretty popular folk heroes. They probably didn't even exist but they have a ton of stories and plays written about them. It's pretty similar to why Goemon shows up in Samurai Warriors.

Can you elaborate on this folk hero status? I'm genuinely curious, because up to now all I really know is that Guan Suo got an "I'm here too" in the campaign to pacify the Nanman.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Himuro posted:

http://youtu.be/IckAI_1_3bI

Dynasty Warriors 8 trailer.

Holy poo poo.

I have suddenly been gripped with a nagging fear that I may die while playing this game, like those poor souls who play an MMO or Starcraft for days and days until they just expire.

Jesus dick.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

I'm under the impression that the Moss-Roberts translation is the best one. I definitely can't recommend the two-volume paperback C.H. Brewitt-Taylor version - the books are riddled with editing errors that can kind of bog down the read.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

socialsecurity posted:

I just realized what the next Warriors Orochi is going to be, Warriors Zombie all of the Heroes who died come back as evil zombies with evil zombie armies.

If they sell out like this I would honestly never buy another thing they made ever. So loving sick of zombies in everything.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

This talk about Zhang Liao just made me think of something: Do we know what weapon Pang De is going to be using going forward? I was pretty disappointed by the club in Orochi 3, mostly because it lacked his incredible second musou from 7XL. That cavalry charge :allears:

EDIT: Also he kind of did have the whole twin axes / halberds thing first.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

The best part of Kessen 2 is unambiguously Sima Yi's ripped abs and incredible hat :mmmhmm:

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

I knew I'd seen that expression on Zhuge Dan's face somewhere before :v:

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Policenaut posted:

Anyone else feeling that Zhang He's character as a flamboyantly dressed pretty boy is slowly being taken away from him by a cast of characters becoming more and more pretty?

What do you mean "slowly"? Ever since DW6 rolled out it's been an outright stampede. Just look at Yuan Shao for an example.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Yeah, I remember a scene in one Wei stage in DW5 where Zhang He destroys a catapult by corkscrewing through it (:psyduck: ) and then Simy Yi wanders up and talks to him about it.

Cao Cao's relationship to Dun and Yuan is mentioned in passing in earlier titles, but I think DW7 is the first game that bothers to explain it.

EDIT: My favorite Zhang He scene is probably when he's got Ma Su surrounded at Mt. Dingjun in DW4. He's still got the elegance schtick, but he doesn't sound like Yuri Lowenthal doing an insulting impersonation of the character and his dialogue is more violent metaphor than "oh my gosh I'm so beautiful".

Chachi fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 30, 2013

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Zhang He was definitely a tough customer. He was one of the Five Generals of Wei, noted for his leadership ability and his talent for adapting to rapidly changing battlefield conditions. Even Zhuge Liang was wary of this resourcefulness and famously described Zhang He as "valorous beyond compare". He went toe-to-toe with Zhang "Everyone in Wu is afraid of this man" Liao and fought him to a standstill. Not really what I would call the attributes and exploits of a useless dandy.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Zuo Ci owns bones and entirely deserves to be in these games. If we're gonna give playable slots to a bunch of miscellaneous Guans before the likes of Yu Jin or Liao Hua we can at least have a character who's amusing and bizarre.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

I was really surprised at how fast this downloaded compared to WO3. It couldn't have been much more than two hours, which meant I actually got to play some tonight as well. This means I got to learn about the siege lance, which makes you go real fast. What with all the spinning I keep expecting the officer to finish up a stage by ripping his helmet off and going :barf:

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Kraxxukalf posted:

I've got a question about DW/Warriors Orochi for you guys, which do you recommend getting to enjoy some local/couch co-op action? The latest DW I played was 6, and while it was kinda mediocre, it allowed you to jump right into coop action in the story mode. From what I can gather, DW7 doesn't let you do this until you've completed the campaign first? But I'm not sure if the Extreme Legends allows this, so any extra input on the differences between these two would be great.

Also, I've never played any of the Warriors Orochi games, but they seem like a blast. How's the co-op in the 3rd? Might get that if DW7 isn't that co-op friendly.

You can only play co-op in DW7's conquest mode, unless you also get xtreme legends and load it into the session before you start. WO3 supports co-op right from the start.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Raserys posted:

Those of you who have Empires, is the DLC from DW7 and XL compatible? DW4 Lu Bu is my favorite and I refuse to go on without him.

I don't believe it is, but DW4, 5 and 6 costumes are all available for the playable roster.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Policenaut posted:

Call in that Ninja Gaiden team, I'm sure they can help.

Dynasty Warriors 9 features a cast of three playable characters: Two pairs of disembodied heaving jiggly boobs with the names "WEI" and "SHU" stamped on them, and Ryu Hayabusa :v:

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

I definitely need to save that free ten PSN bucks they gave out for DW8. I bet that can get a fair piece of silly costumes. :haw:

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

ChaosReaper posted:

Do the storm rush attacks just happen randomly or is there something you can do to make it happen? I know that having the weapon advantage allows it to be possible but I mean is it like your ex move causes it or what?

The little blue icon over their head slowly breaks down until the attack goes off. Hitting their block is the worst way to chip it down, dealing damage is okay, juggling them drops it quickly. I think switch countering might also help, but I haven't bothered to test that.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

5er posted:

If Chen Gong turns out to be a skeezy villain, especially one that can be readily compared to a specific bad guy from any given anime, I want someone to award me a gold star for calling it.

You want a gold star for the equivalent of claiming that the sun will rise tomorrow? :geno:

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

"A few characters" is kind of an understatement. Many of them got stuffed into one of a handful of generic movesets - Ma Chao, Sun Ce, Zhang He and Tashi Ci all had the same bland, lovely spear moveset, for example. The cloned characters are listed here.

That was the thing that pissed me off about 6. I could take or leave renbu, but when you deliberately take a cast of characters in a game that's known for its variety and cram almost all of them into a handful of generic animations it's just stupid.

Chachi fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 4, 2013

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Also worth noting is the pretty good officer edit. I think SW3 may be the only warriors game other than SW1 to have an officer edit mode on the core game and not in an Empires or XL add-on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

TerryLennox posted:

I wish Koei released Warship Gunner 3 for the PS4...or the PS3. Coop and PVP multiplayer is all the series needs for a better product.

Jesus, yes. Those games were seriously amazing and I can't even imagine how cool a more contemporary version would be considering the sort of insanity you could get up to with the high-level battlecarriers. A modern WG title is up there on my "it will never happen, but OH MAN IF ONLY" list.