Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

QUESTION: Does Fist of The North Star 2 have as kick-rear end music as the original... or even better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

Grimdaddy posted:

Exactly the same music, in a lot of cases. There is some new stuff too, and its all pretty drat good.

Awesome! The music was so kick rear end. Can't wait to bust some heads to some heavy metal again!

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

Oh man, I got Fist of the North Star 2 last night. Everything just feels so right. The battles are a lot more fast paced. Ken is so much better to play as this time around!

The Legend Mode is really cool. I love how it follows the manga. The cutscenes are really neat too. Reminds me of Gundam 2's Anime Mode.

ALSO for anybody considering buying the game, the deal right now where if you buy it you get some bonus DLC costumes with your purchase is only available until March 5th.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

Jibo posted:

The dub voice acting in 3 just is all around not as good as DWG2. Domon is not insane enough in that game and it doesn't have a retarded amount of lines for Ghingham and Yazan palling around.

I gave up on DWG3 when I found out Kamille no longer says...

KAMILLE'S A MAN'S NAME... AND I'M A MAN!!!

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

I feel the need to remind you all that Kamille's a man's name AND I'M A MAN!

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

I often quote the generic officer defeat from dynasty warriors “sometimes discretion is the better part of valor” and tell it to coworkers as advice.

Another great generic officer line, “you wanna fight?! The fight me!!!”

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

I just picked up Pirate Warriors 3 on a whim and was wondering what you think of it? What are some pros and cons?

I’m a big fan of a lot of the Warriors spin-offs (Hyrule, Gundam, Fist of The North Star) so I’m excited to try this one out.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

It's just all-around solid, although I recommend checking some online guides for some of the story mode special objectives.

Awesome! Yeah I saw that post above about Thriller Bark so I will keep that in mind.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

Zore posted:

Oh hey looks like they updated Jinbei's moveset so it isn't as absolutely rear end as it is in PW3 :v:

Yeah, his moveset is pretty rough. I tried playing him with slower inputs which made me feel like I was controlling him better. I always have a hard time with the heavier hitting characters in Warriors games though unless they absolutely slaughter like Raoh did in FOTS2. Fujitora feels like this character. Bit on the slow side and takes some time to charge but HOLY MOLEY when you drop those meteors...

I feel like the Warriors games are meant to be fast so I like the faster characters even though they may not hit as hard. I really like Tashigi in PW3, she plays really well and I feel like I'm a tornado running through the maps.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

Uncle Ulty posted:

I just Platinumed Dynasty Warriors 9 last weekend. And knowing nothing about One Piece, I just picked up Pirate Warriors 3 because this thread said it was real good. Before I start it, is there anything I should know?

I got the game recently and asked the same so I’ll pass on what I learned.

Utilize the hero powers and your allies with kizuna attacks and whatnot. Try to get everybody on your team activated too. Helps with raising crew levels and unlocking some of the skill posters.

Good to pay attention to kizuna levels with NPCs especially throughout story mode when you have the chance. Straw Hats will be fully leveled out by the end but once you get to the dream logs, it can be a gamble who you get as an ally.

Also, really utilize the dash mechanic to bounce around and keep combos going. If an enemy gets this bright aura around them, that’s a counter attack. just mash dash and attack to break their charge. It’s a pain if you get hit because you’re stunned for 3-5 seconds.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

Having a blast playing through pirate warriors 3 for the first time. I'm switching between story and dream mode picking up coins. Do all the coins get used in some way? I've got rare coins like zeff, or the first marks you get for maxing out crew levels, but I don't see anywhere to use them.

Yes, some of the rare gold coins are used to unlock a character’s special moves or their limit break.

I think most of the gold coins received in Dream Mode are for stat maxing or limit breaks. Special move gold coins are usually unlocked through special objectives in story mode

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

Is there a good combo for getting the 2000 buddy kills in dream log? Seems like buddy options are random in levels. I'm finding occasional buddies that have great support attacks (Caesar clown I think did really well) but is there a good main character to pick for trying to get this coin?

The final level of the Story Mode (Dressrosa Trembles) is the best level to get any sort of amount of kills on. There's a ton of opportunities to slay mooks. is that particular coin where you have to get a certain amount with a particular assist character? I think those stack up over time too instead of having to get all those kills in a single round.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

I just got a PS4 and was looking at purchasing PSNow. I saw that Warriors Orochi 3 and Samurai Warriors 4 are both on there.

Should I start with WO3? Looks like that came out before SW4. Is SW4 playing?

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

Takoluka posted:

SW4 is fun. WO3 is only worth playing if it's the Ultimate version. They're not connected in a way that matters, so you can play in any order.

Cool! Why is WO3 only good if it's the Ultimate version? Looks like it may only be the base version. I'm guessing there's a lot of missing DLC and whatnot?

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

Commander Keene posted:

So does anyone else hate the Thriller Bark stage in Pirate Warriors 3 as much as I do? It's just absolutely awful. Everything about it sucks, from the mist, to the poorly-translated mission goals, to fighting Oars.

That level is a special kind of hell. Worst part about it is a lot of characters' gold coins are locked behind Thriller Bark's requirements, all of which are a huge pain in the rear end.

Best thing I've learned is the requirement where you have to play as Brook, it's best to play as his pre-time-skip version. He just plays better .

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

Azran posted:

How's One Piece Pirate Warriors 3? I've never read the manga or watched the anime, in case it matters.

I was a HUGE fan of Pirate Warriors 3. I've played my fair share of Warriors games and this is one of the top favorites. Plenty of characters and styles, the story mode is really fun and the Dream Mode provides you a lot to unlock. It's really well done.

It also convinced me to watch the anime too.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

New Hyrule Warriors coming out November 20th!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDMWRRAEogs

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

Epi Lepi posted:

Did the original Hyrule Warriors have couch co-op? Was that on the switch or was that last gen?

Yes, I'm pretty sure the Wii U version did have couch co-op though one person had to use the gamepad screen.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

Policenaut posted:

The mobile port of Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2, one of the worst Warriors games ever, to make the game both better and worse.

- Boss Fang, Colonel, Hyui, and Shuren playable (were not in console release)
- Rather than fix the dripfeed enemy setup, they're embracing it with every stage divided into waves.
- The entire game won't be available at launch, instead they're releasing weekly episodes.
- But they're implementing a Quest mode with a Warriors Orochi 3-man team system where you can switch characters on the fly.

As bad as Ken’s Rage 2 was, I have a soft spot for it. The story mode was a fantastic recreation of the manga story... at least until “Part 2” oof.

I also loved that Raoh’s VO is the same person as Akainu in One Piece. Perfect casting.

Speaking of Raoh, when you get him leveled up, holy moley is he ever a wrecking ball. The only problem is it’s tough to see that in action because of the lack of mooks.

It was such a weird sequel, like there’s a few things they did right, like character designs and following the manga, making leveling up so much easier (the meridian charts from the first were horrible), and replacing jumping with dashing. But then there’s a lot of baffling decisions, like getting rid of a bunch of character’s specials because they had to fit a certain “power level”, and the awesome What If? Dream Mode from the 1st game.

I guess that can be said of so many Warriors games... 2 steps forward, one step back.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

Need some of your input. Having a hard time deciding on whether to get Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate or Warriors Orochi 4 Ultimate.

From what I've heard, WO4 was a bit of step back from WO3U but now with the Ultimate upgrade, it seems to be better. How does it compare to WO3U? Is the gameplay better? Is there just as much to do in WO3U?

I'm playing WO3 and getting some serious FOMO. I really want the extras and stuff. Both WO3U and WO4U cost about the same so curious to know if I'm better off playing 3 or if 4 is worth it.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

Azran posted:

Personally, the endgame in WO4U is bad. I never played WO3U but from videos, I can see enemies move around in Gauntlet mode. In 4, they just... stand there in small groups. Magic is cool at first but it basically makes so you don't bother with most characters' movesets, instead spamming magic because it's much, much better. That said the huge roster is great.

Thank you for the info! That's not good to hear about the endgame, especially when I heard the story is shorter... I enjoy the grind of Warriors games and if it boils down to that, I may have to pass.

Kinda sucks about the magic aspect. I always enjoyed seeing some of the ridiculous things the roster can get up to but if I'm going to be using magic more, is there really a point to a big roster?

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

Uncle Ulty posted:

Coming from someone who Platinumed both WO3U and WO4U, there is definitely more to do in WO3U. Story mode is much more robust with far more stages and branching paths, even multiple variations of some stages. (WO4U has a very linear story with a handful of side-missions that only serve to unlock new characters). WO4U has very specific Magic attacks that are really good, and you'll find that you end up using those as a big part of your moveset on whichever characters you use. It does reduce some of the uniqueness of the characters for sure.

And Azran is right, Infinity Mode in WO4U is way less interesting than Gauntlet Mode in WO3U. Infinity Mode is just a series of towers containing stages that you play through once, hoping to unlock everyone by the time you reach the end. Then once you finish up the last tower, another tower opens up - and you continue grinding that tower over and over until the slow-drip gives you the ridiculous number of materials needed to craft the ultimate weapons that you don't need anymore because you've already completed the endgame.

Gauntlet Mode feels like much more of a GAME. It's been a while so I don't remember the specifics, but it's a lot more interesting and fun, and feels much less tedious.

Drawback of WO3U include the reduced roster - WO4U includes characters from DW8/XL/Empires, SW4/4-II, and 12 new Orochi characters. Though there were 10 special crossover characters from other Koei Tecmo games in WO3U - only 3 of them appear in WO4U. WO3U has a total of 145 characters and WO4U has 177. I also felt that in WO3U, I could pick my main team of 3 characters (5 in Gauntlet Mode) and never need to use anyone else.

WOW thank you for this! Between you and Azran, this is exactly what I was looking for. Looks like I will stick with WO3U then. Really love the idea of the side missions opening up remixes of other missions. Sounds like I can sink some serious time into Gauntlet mode too which is exactly what I want.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

Recently picked up Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate after playing through the story of Ultimate and my god this has to be my all-time favorite Warriors game. I thought there was only one extra chapter in Ultimate! Not a WHOLE OTHER story mode!

My only qualm is that Ieyasu Tokugawa doesn't have his giant gently caress-off laser beam R1 attack from 2 but it looks like they did sort of add it with the Air Musou so I'm happy.

I'm coming upon a strange glitch though and I'm wondering if this might have happened to anyone else... Anytime I'm in the overworld for story mode, where you can visit the blacksmith and teahouse, my character's walking animation glitches out like crazy. If I try to run, it just keeps glitching like it's stuck on a piece of the environment and won't move. Walking slowly or moving the camera to a different angle seems to help.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

Yeah the slowdown for me is “hell yeah, I’m kicking too much rear end!”

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

I recently got Ps Now to kill some time and wanted to get some opinions. Which Warriors game is the most fun out of these: Dynasty Warriors 7 Xtreme Legends, Dynasty Warriors 8 XL, or Samurai Warriors 4?

I have no real preference because I like any Warriors game but wondering which one would be considered “the best” of the 3.

Also, is DW: Strikeforce any good?

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

Morter posted:

DW8XL has amazing staying power, and a large variety of characters that you can play around with.

Perfect, that’s all I need! Amazing staying power is exactly what I’m looking for.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

You wanna fight?! Then fight me!!!

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

5er posted:

I saved my musous just specifically for 'oh christ it's Lu Bu / Himiko' type generals. It's become muscle memory for me. If I hear enemy general's musou lighting off, then I light off mine and hope mine outlasts theirs. That has been my survival mechanic for years of these games.

I also would really like to see another Gundam Musou entry and I haven't seen any of the original anime.

Himiko was in the orochi series yeah? With the little totems that shot out the Megaman-esque laser pellets?

I am also a person that frigging LOOOOOVED Gundam 2 without seeing a single piece of Gundam anime. I must have several hundred hours in that game.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

5er posted:

Yup, and that little kid would melt you if you were caught unprepared by her mosou.

Oh man, I’m remembering that musou now. Some sort of insane laser light show or something, yeah? I think it wrecked me once in WO3 when I was going for mystic weapons.

Great character to play as though. Himiko feels like the closest thing we got to getting a Gundam fighter in WO3, with all the big gently caress off lasers.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

Heads up! Just got a notice that Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate on PS4 is on sale till October 12th for 50% on the PS Store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

I frigging love when the Samurai/Dynasty warriors characters use laser attacks and stuff like that. It’s mostly in Orochi though. I think it’s in WO2 where Ieyasu Tokugawa’s cannon pike has a R1 special where he just lifts the top and shoots a big gently caress-off laser like he’s a Gundam.

Then you got Himiko in WO3 who is basically a bullet hell character just throwing laser pellets everywhere with every attack.

I really loved WO3 and I wish it just escalated from there and became their Smash Bros Ultimate-style series :smith: I can only imagine other Warriors games crossing over like Gundam and Fist of The North Star.