Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Silly Newbie posted:

I've read some ABD and I'm hooked (previously I felt Abnett was the only real quality 40k author), could you all share your top 5 ABD that isn't horus heresy? I've only read three so far, so there will be good stuff in any top 5 list.
Emperor's Gift, Talon of Horus, and Black Legion down so far.
He doesn't do the close character studies as deftly as Abnett in my opinion, but there's a whole lot of good there. He also chooses way harder subjects, it's much easier to make regular humans relatable than marines.

Helsreach

so loving good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mythicknight posted:

Helsreach

so loving good.

"HURL YOURSELVES AT THESE WALLS INHUMAN FILTH! DIE ON OUR BLADES! I. AM. GRIMALDUS. AND I WILL CAST YOUR CARCASSES FROM THESE HOLY WALLS!"

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Arbite posted:

Were Blood Ravens the first chapter that were very obviously traitor stock?

No there are a few throwbacks to the very earliest days of Rogue Trader that are alluded to have come from traitor legions. The Death Eagles, if memory serves, were hinted at being derived from the Emperor's Children.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

dingo with a joint posted:

The 'The First Heretic', 'Aurelian', 'Betrayer' trilogy is my favourite things ADB has done other than the already mentioned Night Lords trilogy. Two novels, with a novella in between. (I think Aurelian is contained in the 'Eye of Terra' compilation.)

I should mention, though I don't think it's by ADB, Know No Fear slots itself quite nicely in between "The First Heretic" and "Betrayer", though I'm not sure where it stands with "Aurelian".

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Ardent Communist posted:

I should mention, though I don't think it's by ADB, Know No Fear slots itself quite nicely in between "The First Heretic" and "Betrayer", though I'm not sure where it stands with "Aurelian".

Aurelian is after First Heretic but before Know No Fear. It was one of the first limited edition novellas, which quite often got initially published in their roughly correct chronological order and then republished in a later HH Anthology, out of order.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Ardent Communist posted:

It's not by ADB, but it's by Abnett so it's still great. And yeah. The First Heretic, Know No Fear, and Betrayer form a trilogy inside the HH series and should be read in sequence.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

What, no love for The Emperor's Gift ? That's at least as much concentrated badassery as in Helsreach.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

mllaneza posted:

What, no love for The Emperor's Gift ? That's at least as much concentrated badassery as in Helsreach.

Didn't have this made for it though, did it? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKMdHfOC7VQ

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

mllaneza posted:

It's great, but he said that he read that one so I didn't suggest it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

mllaneza posted:

So far the only other Marine book I've read outside of Brotherhood of the Snake. And I still prefer the former.

Speaking of Ravenor, the latest Badcast episode talked about the first book and hoo boy I had forgotten pretty much everything about it and I'm kinda glad for that.
Although describing Ravenor as incel Professor X was a :master:.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

D-Pad posted:

Which FB group was this?

So about Eisenhorn...let's just say there is some very interesting lore in Mortis that draws a straight line to the Eisenhorn series and some of it's major plot points. In fact, I'm really surprised it happened in Mortis and not Saturnine since Abnett wrote that.

drat am I gonna have to reread all of Eisenhorb and Ravenor before I get Mortis??

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
For shame, no mention of Lords of Silance when talking about ADB?

A beautiful rendition of Papa N's best boys.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Foxtrot_13 posted:

For shame, no mention of Lords of Silance when talking about ADB?

A beautiful rendition of Papa N's best boys.

Lord of Silence is penned by Wright, although it's a great book.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
God Helsreach is the best

quote:

‘Are you all as insulted as I am? This is what they send against us?’

He turned back to the men, the laughter fading, but amused contempt filling his voice even through the inhumanising vocalisers of his helm.

‘This is what they send? This rabble? We hold one of the mightiest cities on the face of the planet. The fury of its guns sends all skyborne enemies to the ground in flames. We stand united in our thousands – our weapons without number, our purity without question, and our hearts beating courage through our blood. And this is how they attack us?

‘Brothers and sisters… A legion of beggars and alien dregs wheezes its way across the plains. Forgive me when the moment comes that they whine and weep against our walls. Forgive me that I must order you to waste ammunition upon their worthless bodies.’

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

peanut- posted:

God Helsreach is the best

the entire book is
Grimaldus (aloud): Brothers and sisters! The Emperor smiles upon us! We know He loves us, for He has sent us the opportunity to glorify Him through the spilling of xenos blood!
Grimaldus (thinking): god, this loving sucks. i hate this.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the entire book is
Grimaldus (aloud): Brothers and sisters! The Emperor smiles upon us! We know He loves us, for He has sent us the opportunity to glorify Him through the spilling of xenos blood!
Grimaldus (thinking): god, this loving sucks. i hate this.

Hey by the end of the book he does believe it.

"I have dug my blade in this place. I will either triumph or I will die. No pity. No remorse. No fear."

I like how he finally gets over himself and makes a stand he believes in rather than just the one the troops under his company need to believe.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

ADB is so good at giving his characters their own voice.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bastilan teasing Priamus is a fun scene. Even lunatic Templars have a sense of humor.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Thanks for th ABD recommendations, all. Sounds like Helsreach is next.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Cadian Blood was his first novel IIRC, and it's a pretty solid, if straightforward, Imperial Guard doing Imperial Guard things story.

Presence
Jul 29, 2006
Currently working my way through Night Lords as my first ADB book and it owns so so much.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Betrayer is my favorite 40k book by a long shot. Pivotal for nearly all sides involved, great characterisations, fun and tragic and scary as all hell. I can't really recommend it enough. I love how it doesn't make any side to be a bunch of jobbers there to make the main guys look cool; it has my favorite presentation of the Ultramarines, even though they are the 'antagonists'.

But as others said, the Night Lords trilogy is golden. You'd remember it if you had read it already, I think. The first book is good, the next two are amazing.

Has ADB announced the release of his next Black Legion book, perchance?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Sephyr posted:

Betrayer is my favorite 40k book by a long shot. Pivotal for nearly all sides involved, great characterisations, fun and tragic and scary as all hell. I can't really recommend it enough. I love how it doesn't make any side to be a bunch of jobbers there to make the main guys look cool; it has my favorite presentation of the Ultramarines, even though they are the 'antagonists'.

But as others said, the Night Lords trilogy is golden. You'd remember it if you had read it already, I think. The first book is good, the next two are amazing.

Has ADB announced the release of his next Black Legion book, perchance?

He's working on it now and pretty far along.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
Cadian Blood is pretty whatever, but you do see some nice early ADB touches.

When an Imperial ship makes a last one in a million shot to take down an enemy ship before getting destroyed, you see all that action and then it flashes to the POV of the gunnery master responsible for making that shot. He's killed a bunch of slaves and worked a lot more to death in order to make it, and only has time to be proud of making the short for a moment before being merked by the angry slaves as the ship explodes. It's a fun bit of dark comedy, and plays into ADBs strengths in humanising people well.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Finished Spear of the Emperor...was that meant to be a stand alone slice of that serf's life thing, or is there more. I'd like there to be more, but man that stands well as its own story.
Is ABD the anti-Abnett, with his hatred of the Inquisition?

Also started Helsreach.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Silly Newbie posted:

Finished Spear of the Emperor...was that meant to be a stand alone slice of that serf's life thing, or is there more. I'd like there to be more, but man that stands well as its own story.
Is ABD the anti-Abnett, with his hatred of the Inquisition?

Also started Helsreach.

He supposedly finished the sequel(ADB takes forever to write a book) but we have no idea when BL plan to release it. LE this summer and then standard release for us plebs six months later? Maybe?

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
In fairness to ADB he apparently had a severe mental crisis culminating in a suicide attempt in summer 2019, that will kinda slow down your writing for a while. (This was posted on his public Twitter, I don’t know him or anything)

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Ugh. That's terrible. He always seemed to be a laid-back, fun guy. Cool job, seemingly happy family. That sometimes doesn't mean much when your head decides to give you grief, though.

Here's hoping he recovered fully. Wouldn't want to have faced 2020 while dealing with that kind of issue.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

von Metternich posted:

In fairness to ADB he apparently had a severe mental crisis culminating in a suicide attempt in summer 2019, that will kinda slow down your writing for a while. (This was posted on his public Twitter, I don’t know him or anything)

Oof, that sucks major balls. I'm rooting for him

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Got this back from the framer today

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Reminder that tomorrow is the Penitent release as well as Swords of Calth. The ebooks go live at 12pm midnight eastern time on Amazon.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

D-Pad posted:

Got this back from the framer today

Awesome. Would love something like that in my office one day.

ed balls balls man fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 26, 2021

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Just reread pariah in time for penitent. I'd forgotten how silly the last quarter of the book was

Also the lack of ending

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

D-Pad posted:

Reminder that tomorrow is the Penitent release as well as Swords of Calth. The ebooks go live at 12pm midnight eastern time on Amazon.

Oh poo poo, time to evacuate for a week or two till I can finish it. Emperor bless.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

D-Pad posted:

I got the audiobook and I am spending my weekend listening to it while doing other, non-concentration requiring things, at the same time.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I was surprised to get an email that my Liber Xenology order had already been shipped. Fully expected that to happen mid-march.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Another one of my lovely reviews, this time about Lion El'Jonson: Lord of the First by David Guymer from the Primarchs series.

I must confess I'm kinda ambivalent about the Dark Angels, on one hand I like the aesthethics and flavour, on the other hand, I don't enjoy their fluff and lore very much, so I was kinda wary about this one, especially because the Dark Angels had some bad writers asigned to them at the beginning of the Horus Heresy series. The bulk of David Guymer's work has been in Age of Sigmar and my only experience with him was with the two final books of the Gotrek and Felix series.

The story takes place just before the triumph of Ullanor and it's focused on Jonson and the DA fighting some mysterious xenos. I liked that the antagonists are very different from the usual suspects in the 40k universe and quite interesting while not being pushovers in any sense. The action scenes are decent enough and thankfully they are pretty spread out in the story, and the climax in the book has some rad moments as well. The plot is good enough and serves it's purpose, basically showing the character and motivations of the Dark Angels as a legion and its primarch, however I feel it does not a good job to flesh out many of the characters. Some of the gimmicks get kinda tiresome after a while like stressing that the Dark Angels are the first legion and that they have been spoiled by the Emprah in certain aspects..There're also some juicy lore tidbits, including some flashbacks with the Emperor. In conclusion, it's a solid book, so you can read it as a standalone story as it's unrelated to the metaplot of the Heresy or skip it entirely without losing anything of importance.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Warden posted:

I got the audiobook and I am spending my weekend listening to it while doing other, non-concentration requiring things, at the same time.

gently caress, the reader sounds like a coked-up sorority girl when voicing Patience Kys.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Barnes and Noble has Mortis as a March 16th release. Really looking forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Warden posted:

gently caress, the reader sounds like a coked-up sorority girl when voicing Patience Kys.

Hell yeah dude