Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Miguel Prado posted:

Honestly all of the siege books have been mediocre to bad, saturnine being the best of them.

^You can read summaries of the previous books on the internet

I recognize I’m already basically dead on this hill but I think Saturnine is a genuinely great book in places, not just great for 40k but great by the standards of the genre as a whole. I read some pulp but I also read plenty of very well-regarded sci-fi (and yes, literary fiction too, you snobs) and there were moments of Saturnine that I thought were as evocative and moving as anything from The City We Became or The Three-Body Problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I recognize I’m already basically dead on this hill but I think Saturnine is a genuinely great book in places, not just great for 40k but great by the standards of the genre as a whole. I read some pulp but I also read plenty of very well-regarded sci-fi (and yes, literary fiction too, you snobs) and there were moments of Saturnine that I thought were as evocative and moving as anything from The City We Became or The Three-Body Problem.

It's funny how we have the exact opposite opinions on this book. Primarily I think my problems with Saturnine come from the dialogue of the characters; everyone has to be pithy and snappy and make lame and weird jokes all the time? Which I guess could have been good, but Abnett isn't funny and his bad comic book dialogues fell completely flat for me, and there were several passages I found outright cringe-worthy.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Arbite posted:

Different guy.

I guess I've read too many of Moorcock's Eternal Champion books because to me he ticked all the boxes for "Perpetual playing role of weird old soldier"

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Saturnine and perhaps all the Siege of Terra novels suffer from “Unremembered Empire”-syndrome. Abnett has to tie all these loose ends together and the novel suffers for it.

I’m interested to see if ADB and Wraight will do better with their SoT-novels.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Shitposting 24/7 without regrets. my parents would be proud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tWaS6NHXGM

new trailer for Hired Gun came out. holy gently caress EYE devs know how to paint a 40k world up pretty.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I liked Saturnine but after finishing the book it felt a little like a GW exec read Necropolis and thought each chapter should have been its own book for extra profit.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

I found Saturnine rather disappointing, other than the stand on the bridge and the Perpetuals plot reveal (and I don't really like the whole Perpetuals angle).

Lots of Deus ex Machina and players becoming dumb because the plot says so.

Skulk Hogan
Sep 9, 2012

Should I read Eisenhorn or Night Lords first?

Not new to Warhammer novels, I've probably read a dozen or so (including the first 5 Horus Heresy books) and could really use a break from how great the Emperor is. I keep looking through the OP of this thread and never bookmark it but I've got it now.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

First one, then the other TBH. I enjoyed Eisenhorn a lot more, but Night Lords is pretty great.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Skulk Hogan posted:

Should I read Eisenhorn or Night Lords first?

Not new to Warhammer novels, I've probably read a dozen or so (including the first 5 Horus Heresy books) and could really use a break from how great the Emperor is. I keep looking through the OP of this thread and never bookmark it but I've got it now.

Eisenhorn, when I read it, led me to immediately read the Ravenor trilogy (and now would also lead me to read Magos and the two Pariah books). Night Lords would be a shorter endeavor to start with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

The Night Lords trilogy whips rear end. I'd read that first.