Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

dope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6aRPlfjNN0

have a new hire gun trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Man, you lot are gonna be so sad when it turns out to be a primarch.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

This is a drat good watch. He had a lot of interesting things to say. I really loved what he said about hope in the 40k Universe. Basically there can not be "Capital H" hope or it would't be 40k, but there needs to be "lowercase hope" to tell compelling stories.

I wasn't aware that the Horus Heresy was just a throwaway line in the original Titanicus game just to justify there only being one set of models in the box.

He didn't address it specifically but he mentioned talking to various people about story and they threw around the word "Loremaster" a lot. Does anyone know if GW employ people in the role of Loremaster, as in someone who's full time job is to be a historian and continuity expert for a fictional universe? Blizzard employs a small team of them to keep continuity on all their properties an I've wondered if it was unique to that company.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Bucnasti posted:

This is a drat good watch. He had a lot of interesting things to say. I really loved what he said about hope in the 40k Universe. Basically there can not be "Capital H" hope or it would't be 40k, but there needs to be "lowercase hope" to tell compelling stories.

I wasn't aware that the Horus Heresy was just a throwaway line in the original Titanicus game just to justify there only being one set of models in the box.

He didn't address it specifically but he mentioned talking to various people about story and they threw around the word "Loremaster" a lot. Does anyone know if GW employ people in the role of Loremaster, as in someone who's full time job is to be a historian and continuity expert for a fictional universe? Blizzard employs a small team of them to keep continuity on all their properties an I've wondered if it was unique to that company.

The FFG RPG books had a "Head of Intellectual Property" listed (Alan Merrett). I suspect that in practice it's going to be more "Project Manager" (i.e. "No, so-and-so can't die at this battle because he's got to be alive to do this")* than "Keeper of THE BOOK OF THE UNIVERSE" though?

*: Who's the Ghost that Abnett was talking about having been story-significantly-killed dead but nevertheless being alive later in the series a while ago on Twitter or something?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 8, 2021

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Schadenboner posted:

*: Who's the Ghost that Abnett was talking about having been story-significantly-killed dead but nevertheless being alive later in the series a while ago on Twitter or something?

Bonin the Scout was mentioned as being killed off in Necropolis, but he'd not had much characterisation up til that point. He accidentally came back in the next book or two and then Abnett realised and worked it into his character, giving him a nickname and establishing that he'd miraculously survived a few times.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
My favorite part of the Abnett video is how he describes the throne room as this giant nuclear reactor that would basically vaporize any human who entered it.

Also I loved him calling Magnus "a dick"

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

My favorite part of the Abnett video is how he describes the throne room as this giant nuclear reactor that would basically vaporize any human who entered it.

Also I loved him calling Magnus "a dick"

Puts more context to how even Custodes have to be cycled out from throne room duty and how they feel being in there.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

a lovely king posted:

Bonin the Scout was mentioned as being killed off in Necropolis, but he'd not had much characterisation up til that point. He accidentally came back in the next book or two and then Abnett realised and worked it into his character, giving him a nickname and establishing that he'd miraculously survived a few times.
IIRC it's just "and this dude falls off the thing and dies" and then two books later it's like "uhhhh I got lucky? Also an augmetic spine. Yeah...". The most hamfisted of retcons and I love it.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Not super surprised to hear that the leak was fake. Sigh. Someday, we will get our Eisenhorn show! Probably with a cast less awesome than that, though.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

MariusLecter posted:

Puts more context to how even Custodes have to be cycled out from throne room duty and how they feel being in there.

Crowle basically has an aneurysm and a heart attack from just a glance at the throne.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Not super surprised to hear that the leak was fake. Sigh. Someday, we will get our Eisenhorn show! Probably with a cast less awesome than that, though.

The casting was a bit too good, not to mention chud rage inducing, to really feel legit.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Schadenboner posted:

There's a few of them.
Lucky Mac' Bonin is the first one, where he "got better" from tumbling off the side of a 100 meter tall war machine into an army of about 60 million brainwashed Hive cultists.

Next up is MkVenner, presumed dead during His Last Command and yet still alive, in some form, in The Armour of Contempt.

But I think the twitter one is referring to some spoilers, so fair warning.

Dalin and Yoncy Kolea were gender swapped between their initial appearance in Necropolis and in later appearances. after realizing this mistake, Abnett wrote the latter few novels with something being very, very wrong with Dalin and Yoncy, with them turning out to be sleeper agent woe machines planted into the Tanith 1st during the chaotic fighting on Verghast. Gol Kolea is killed embracing the blade daemon he thought was his daughter, and Yoncy, Dalin and Gol are all killed along with a lot of the Ghosts and their baggage train in a massacre behind the frontline.

The other major one is Mkoll, presumed dead at the end of Warmaster but actually going on a one man assassination mission against Annakwenar Sek during Anarch.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

mkoll and mkvenner were deliberately meant to be teased as still alive. bonin is the one that he absolutely intended to kill off and forgot.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Aw, and here I was hoping Bragg would get to try again.

:(

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

But I think the twitter one is referring to some spoilers, so fair warning.

Dalin and Yoncy Kolea were gender swapped between their initial appearance in Necropolis and in later appearances. after realizing this mistake, Abnett wrote the latter few novels with something being very, very wrong with Dalin and Yoncy, with them turning out to be sleeper agent woe machines planted into the Tanith 1st during the chaotic fighting on Verghast. Gol Kolea is killed embracing the blade daemon he thought was his daughter, and Yoncy, Dalin and Gol are all killed along with a lot of the Ghosts and their baggage train in a massacre behind the frontline.

The other major one is Mkoll, presumed dead at the end of Warmaster but actually going on a one man assassination mission against Annakwenar Sek during Anarch.

going through Warmaster and Anarch for the first time was crazy, because I remembered yoncy being a different gender and suddenly the book was making a big deal about no, you're wrong idiot. God drat i wish I could erase my memory of it so I could get that first time WOAH feeling again

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Biplane posted:

going through Warmaster and Anarch for the first time was crazy, because I remembered yoncy being a different gender and suddenly the book was making a big deal about no, you're wrong idiot. God drat i wish I could erase my memory of it so I could get that first time WOAH feeling again
It's really weird how often that feeling happens in the series and somehow knowing how the sausage was made doesn't ruin it.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
‘Of course. A good man. A heretic. A traitor. A murderer. A fool. My brother, the good man.’

:roflolmao:

So anyway. Brutal Kunnin is next. Weirdest thing, the audio book just appeared on my hard drive. Listening to the last half hour of Void Stalker as I type this.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Pretty neat, thanks for linking.

Dan's beard makes him look ten years older than he is though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riLSFr7WRJg

This showed up in my feed.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

When discussing good ship names elsewhere, and specifically what makes a good ship name, I was trying to think of spaceship names I know of.

Vengeful Spirit doesn't make any sense for Horus when he was a loyal member of the super secularist/anti-superstition Imperium. Doesn't convey the character or faction well at all.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 12, 2021

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
It sounds bitchin

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
The Vengeful Spirit of the humans who were oppressed by xenos.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I thought they were slurring "Slaanesh" there at the end :psyduck:

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Good lord is there anything similar Brutal Kunnin I could read once im done with Eisenhorn?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

In universe answer: the Vengeful Spirit was built by the Jovian shipyards, they used a bunch of weird hidden technology, and they gave it a superstitious name.

Real answer: the name was made up before any of this fluff was established because it sounds cool.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Skulk Hogan posted:

Good lord is there anything similar Brutal Kunnin I could read once im done with Eisenhorn?
You've read Deff Skwadron, right?

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I'd point out the Terminus Est but that one's a reference to another series.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Skulk Hogan posted:

Rites of Passage

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

D-Pad posted:

Rites of Passage

I can't say how similar it is (haven't read BK) but I can confirm that Rites of Passage is pro-tier af.

E: Also this.

Arquinsiel posted:

You've read Deff Skwadron, right?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Skulk Hogan posted:

Engine of Mork and Evil Sun Rising are propa orky.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Read Mortis and it was really good. Appreciated the Enuncia stuff, and the whole Alpharius bit. Loved the Titan fights, and the bit with Perturabo and the Iron Lords. Going to be hard to go back to 40k where you're lucky to see a Knight in action after all this Titan maniples on Titan maniples insanity. Also lol at Psi-Titans being a thing. "Yeah we just weld dozens of psykers onto the chassis and have a Blank as the Princeps." Also there needs to be a book written from the Traitor Legions side about getting a Daemon into a Titan because it seems like it'd be quite the process.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

I've definitely read Deff Skwadron and it rules hard. I'll definitely have a look at the recs itt.

I don't have an example of my own, but does anyone have a pet BL book that you secretly get pretty into but is unpopular?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

D-Pad posted:

Rites of Passage

It's great and everyone should read it but nobody teleports an Orc Wagon into a Titan in it so after Brutal Kunnin' it's going to feel fairly sedate imo.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Skulk Hogan posted:

I've definitely read Deff Skwadron and it rules hard. I'll definitely have a look at the recs itt.

I don't have an example of my own, but does anyone have a pet BL book that you secretly get pretty into but is unpopular?

Daemon World by Ben Counter owns even though it's by Ben Counter.

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

Ben Counter has written some absolute belters, despite himself.

The first Grey Knights book is quite possibly the most metal thing ever written.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Relevant Tangent posted:

Also there needs to be a book written from the Traitor Legions side about getting a Daemon into a Titan because it seems like it'd be quite the process.

Titandeath's got you covered for this in exquisite, gory detail.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Relevant Tangent posted:

Daemon World by Ben Counter owns even though it's by Ben Counter.

That book is off the walls insanely good and they need to bring the main character back so he can gently caress up more poo poo.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Relevant Tangent posted:

Read Mortis and it was really good. Appreciated the Enuncia stuff, and the whole Alpharius bit. Loved the Titan fights, and the bit with Perturabo and the Iron Lords. Going to be hard to go back to 40k where you're lucky to see a Knight in action after all this Titan maniples on Titan maniples insanity. Also lol at Psi-Titans being a thing. "Yeah we just weld dozens of psykers onto the chassis and have a Blank as the Princeps." Also there needs to be a book written from the Traitor Legions side about getting a Daemon into a Titan because it seems like it'd be quite the process.

Did you read titandeath?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I haven't read Titandeath, something I will rectify post haste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Telsa Cola posted:

That book is off the walls insanely good and they need to bring the main character back so he can gently caress up more poo poo.

The calvary owns so hard and they're such a minor part of the story.