Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Also mutated colonists. Prospero Burns spells it out pretty blatantly and is also one of the better HH novels. Battle of the Fang expounds upon it and is also pretty good.

Comedy/overused for dramatic effect edit: I can't say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

oooh new meat for the liberal tears thread. but seriously can't even save animals for real and proberly and half the time just make poo poo up about stuff. so are they just going after easy targets now because its a "woke" thing to do? because i have seen some online feminists go after 40k once or twice, buts its surprisingly not under attack by various culture war people.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The first colonists on Fenris spliced wolf DNA into their genome to survive the cold, the 'wolves' on the planet are degenerated mutants. The reason Space Wolves sometimes devolve into Wulfen is because of this genetic heritage.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Do rabbits have a corpse emperor in a golden hutch

Watership down was pretty loving grimdark tbf

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey, at least all we do with animals is kill and eat them or wear their skin. It could be worse, we could be lobotomizing them and turning their husks into household appliances. I, for one, wouldn't mind a rabbit-servitor-roomba.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Skarsnik posted:

Do rabbits have a corpse emperor in a golden hutch

Watership down was pretty loving grimdark tbf

Watership Down is incredibly brutal, yeah.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Dapper_Swindler posted:

oooh new meat for the liberal tears thread. but seriously can't even save animals for real and proberly and half the time just make poo poo up about stuff. so are they just going after easy targets now because its a "woke" thing to do? because i have seen some online feminists go after 40k once or twice, buts its surprisingly not under attack by various culture war people.
This is the first time you've heard of PETA right? They're the animal rights equivalent of the Westboro Baptist Church and run kill houses that pretend to be shelters because pets are "tainted".

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
How have other franchises in any media format survived the part of the cycle where the universe has been around for long enough that what was supposed to have been a joke is now taken seriously and the transition from looking to other sources for inspiration to endless "canonical" self-reference?

The whole "fans running the asylum" phenomenon.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Superhero comics and Star Wars spring to mind.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

hopterque posted:

Watership Down is incredibly brutal, yeah.

As a birthday treat my dad took me to the film on it's original release for my 7th Birthday. The British Film Classification people bafflingly having given it a 'U' rating. I.e. suitable for all ages.

It went poorly :cry:.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Guy Goodbody posted:

Supposedly Titanicus is them testing the waters for a smaller scale game. If it sells well they'll put out more stuff in the same scale, basically bringing back Epic.

GW just said that they have no desire to bring back Epic at this time. I imagine it would take too many resources away from the main lines. I think one-off boxed games are going to be their new go-to.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

berzerkmonkey posted:

GW just said that they have no desire to bring back Epic at this time. I imagine it would take too many resources away from the main lines. I think one-off boxed games are going to be their new go-to.

But wasn't the reason for the new slightly larger scale that it was the smallest they could get while still making the different marks of power armor distinct? So they changed the scale for the sake of Space Marines but aren't gonna make any Space Marines in that scale? What the heck!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Titanicus and Epic 40K would be a perfect match for the devs of Wargame.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Guy Goodbody posted:

But wasn't the reason for the new slightly larger scale that it was the smallest they could get while still making the different marks of power armor distinct? So they changed the scale for the sake of Space Marines but aren't gonna make any Space Marines in that scale? What the heck!

That was the rumor. I suppose it will really hinge on the success or failure of AT, though. I just don't see them doing it unless they do a straight Horus Heresy theme where they can use the molds for both sides, and even then, I see it as more of a superheavy and titan dominated game.

I wish I remembered where I saw the quote regarding them not wanting to do an Epic relaunch...

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

berzerkmonkey posted:

That was the rumor. I suppose it will really hinge on the success or failure of AT, though. I just don't see them doing it unless they do a straight Horus Heresy theme where they can use the molds for both sides, and even then, I see it as more of a superheavy and titan dominated game.
They called that version Space Marine back in the day. I'd say it's just a matter of time.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Arquinsiel posted:

This is the first time you've heard of PETA right? They're the animal rights equivalent of the Westboro Baptist Church and run kill houses that pretend to be shelters because pets are "tainted".

Not only that, but PETA will abduct your dog off your porch so they can kill it as a "stray."

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

They called that version Space Marine back in the day. I'd say it's just a matter of time.

I know - I was there. :corsair: SM was done because they could only afford to do one set of molds. GW can certainly afford molds now, but I think it would detract too much from the main lines, especially since they would be expected to come out with an Epic version every time FW released a new kit. I'm really pretty sure GW just doesn't want anything to do with expanding product lines anymore (excepting 40K and AoS, of course.)

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

PETA claims to be playing the puppetmaster.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Literally Tzeentch.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

"No, it's brilliant! I was just pretending to be an idiot!"

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Sure people went to their site, but nobody would've clicked on any of their poo poo and would've had an ad blocker up so no revenue for them either.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I pointed out to them that the discussion about their stunt was mostly people being informed of how lovely they are.

I expect this university's IP range to be blocked from their site the same way happened to the last one I emailed them from within.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

Literally Tzeentch.

No, then it would have worked.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
So PETA are part of the "no publicity is bad publicity" brigade?

Either no one knows about marketing at PETA or they only listen to coke fueled dickheads because that poo poo just makes them a joke and people are less likely to pay attention to them.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Arcsquad12 posted:

Titanicus and Epic 40K would be a perfect match for the devs of Wargame.

A TITANICUS game, mixing tank combat and RTS with support troops. And rockem sockem robots.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm absolutely in love with the lore of 40k but I've not read a single book aside from a few Cain short stories because I'm poor as poo poo and have trouble sitting down and reading something anyway. I feel like a fake fan. How do I keep up to date on all the random names people keep throwing around and what's going on as the story progresses? Ugh, it's an annoying situation to be in.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

And Cypher is back in plastic.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
^^^ Yeah, this is going to be the first real lore update in a long while.

WickedHate posted:

I'm absolutely in love with the lore of 40k but I've not read a single book aside from a few Cain short stories because I'm poor as poo poo and have trouble sitting down and reading something anyway. I feel like a fake fan. How do I keep up to date on all the random names people keep throwing around and what's going on as the story progresses? Ugh, it's an annoying situation to be in.

Jump into one of the 40K WIkis out there - the downside is that you won't really be able to get your information in any sort of linear format. There aren't many other options, and even those of us that try to keep up eventually burn out. I got halfway through The Beast Arises series and haven't even been able to finish Master of Mankind yet.

Also, the lore of 40K hasn't really changed all that much, even with the novels and stories. Sure some stuff has been expanded or added, but nothing has really changed, so you're probably not as far out of touch as you think you might be.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

berzerkmonkey posted:

Jump into one of the 40K WIkis out there - the downside is that you won't really be able to get your information in any sort of linear format. There aren't many other options, and even those of us that try to keep up eventually burn out. I got halfway through The Beast Arises series and haven't even been able to finish Master of Mankind yet.

I've been obsessively reading 1d4chan for years. I could probably get more straight up from one of the more serious wikis but the dry clinical style is really bad at holding my attention.

It's not really a huge problem I just feel...insecure about it? Like I'm not enjoying it properly.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Soooo someone post some info about all that new lore?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
We'll know more substantial stuff in a month.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I hope they don't go full divine intervention and Roboute wakes up because some pilgrim tripped over a wire.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

I'm guessing it'll either just turn off by itself because it detected he wasn't dead anymore, or a psyker/Elder seer will tell them that Papa Ultrasmurf isn't dead. Or more likely there'll probably be some kind of attack that will damage the stasis generator and he'll jump straight into the fight.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The best way to do it would be to have a scene where everyone is standing around talking seriously and Archmagos Cawl just gets bored and wanders off to look at the stasis generator in the corner. Turns it off and then on again, and blamo, Rosebud Ganglyman defrosts.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

If Dan Abnett writes it I'll be very annoyed.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

I hope they don't go full divine intervention and Roboute wakes up because some pilgrim tripped over a wire.

Belisarius Cawl and Eldar Lady Yvraine work together to heal him of being dead.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/02/03/march-for-macragge/

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Just finished Straight Silver

I'm gonna miss Try Again Bragg... :cry:

Edit: No wait I finished Guns of Tanith.

pubic works project fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 4, 2017

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

Vadoc posted:

And Cypher is back in plastic.

I don't foresee robot gillman taking kindly to all this emperor worship bullshit.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Maybe he'll give Imperium Secundus another shot after he refortifies the 500 Worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Potentially relevant to 30k/40k nerds, rules and some of the fluff have been leaked for the next 30k book which has rules for the Space Wolves, Thousand Sons, Adeptus Custodes, Sisters of Silence, and some Mechanicum weirdos no one's heard of before or cares about now.

Good grief the Emperor really was keeping all the excellent poo poo for himself and the Custodes - and to a lesser extent the Sisters, who are more or less the holy mashup of the Sisters of Battle, Culexus Assassins, and Space Marines.

Also, Psi-Titans.