Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Miguel Prado posted:

Honestly all of the siege books have been mediocre to bad, saturnine being the best of them.

^You can read summaries of the previous books on the internet

I recognize I’m already basically dead on this hill but I think Saturnine is a genuinely great book in places, not just great for 40k but great by the standards of the genre as a whole. I read some pulp but I also read plenty of very well-regarded sci-fi (and yes, literary fiction too, you snobs) and there were moments of Saturnine that I thought were as evocative and moving as anything from The City We Became or The Three-Body Problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I recognize I’m already basically dead on this hill but I think Saturnine is a genuinely great book in places, not just great for 40k but great by the standards of the genre as a whole. I read some pulp but I also read plenty of very well-regarded sci-fi (and yes, literary fiction too, you snobs) and there were moments of Saturnine that I thought were as evocative and moving as anything from The City We Became or The Three-Body Problem.

It's funny how we have the exact opposite opinions on this book. Primarily I think my problems with Saturnine come from the dialogue of the characters; everyone has to be pithy and snappy and make lame and weird jokes all the time? Which I guess could have been good, but Abnett isn't funny and his bad comic book dialogues fell completely flat for me, and there were several passages I found outright cringe-worthy.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Arbite posted:

Different guy.

I guess I've read too many of Moorcock's Eternal Champion books because to me he ticked all the boxes for "Perpetual playing role of weird old soldier"

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Saturnine and perhaps all the Siege of Terra novels suffer from “Unremembered Empire”-syndrome. Abnett has to tie all these loose ends together and the novel suffers for it.

I’m interested to see if ADB and Wraight will do better with their SoT-novels.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tWaS6NHXGM

new trailer for Hired Gun came out. holy gently caress EYE devs know how to paint a 40k world up pretty.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I liked Saturnine but after finishing the book it felt a little like a GW exec read Necropolis and thought each chapter should have been its own book for extra profit.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I found Saturnine rather disappointing, other than the stand on the bridge and the Perpetuals plot reveal (and I don't really like the whole Perpetuals angle).

Lots of Deus ex Machina and players becoming dumb because the plot says so.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Should I read Eisenhorn or Night Lords first?

Not new to Warhammer novels, I've probably read a dozen or so (including the first 5 Horus Heresy books) and could really use a break from how great the Emperor is. I keep looking through the OP of this thread and never bookmark it but I've got it now.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
First one, then the other TBH. I enjoyed Eisenhorn a lot more, but Night Lords is pretty great.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Skulk Hogan posted:

Should I read Eisenhorn or Night Lords first?

Not new to Warhammer novels, I've probably read a dozen or so (including the first 5 Horus Heresy books) and could really use a break from how great the Emperor is. I keep looking through the OP of this thread and never bookmark it but I've got it now.

Eisenhorn, when I read it, led me to immediately read the Ravenor trilogy (and now would also lead me to read Magos and the two Pariah books). Night Lords would be a shorter endeavor to start with.

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

The Night Lords trilogy whips rear end. I'd read that first.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tWaS6NHXGM

new trailer for Hired Gun came out. holy gently caress EYE devs know how to paint a 40k world up pretty.

Oh ffs, Sony exclusive :negative:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Duzzy Funlop posted:

It's multiplatform.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1222370/Necromunda_Hired_Gun/

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

its multiplatform. everything but Nintendo. i hope genestealer cults and the corpse grinder cults are in it. they mention them, so i assume.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I wish they put the system requirements up. Looking at it I'm pretty sure it's beyond my potato, but I would like to know that before I have the opportunity to pay for it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
My issue with the Hired Gun trailer is how utterly generic all of the guns look.

(Also EYE was completely incomprehensible to the point of unplayability for me but hopefully this will be different.)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
EYE is loving amazing, Deathwing was good but rough and I'm super excited for Hired Gun

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

EYE is loving amazing, Deathwing was good but rough and I'm super excited for Hired Gun

same. i preordered hired gun the second they released some of the weapons trailers. deathwings issue is its too faithful an adaption to the table top. so its slow and boring and annoying. vermintide 2 has its issues and its shallow, but at leasts its fun. also at least darktide looks cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-UifdRoC8I

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

They just released a free DLC expansion for Vermintide 2 called Winds of Chaos. It adds a rogue-lite run based alternative game mode.

It's really fun and worth checking out if you've stepped away from the game for awhile.

Sphyrnidae
Sep 5, 2020

Facehammer posted:

The Night Lords trilogy whips rear end. I'd read that first.

I am super keen now, my copy of the NL omnibus arrived the other day.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Sphyrnidae posted:

I am super keen now, my copy of the NL omnibus arrived the other day.

Its super fuckin good

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Its super fuckin good

Heck, I think I'll re-read it to deal with my ADB withdrawal shakes.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
gently caress it, I'm reading Night Lords. I've been listening to this while I do it. It also whips rear end.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Zasze posted:

The closest current canon backed theory is they were black shields in the heresy and used whatever geneseed was on hand and don’t have a single origin.

3rd company is strongly implied to have some world eater geneseed multiple times in the mcniven books.

In the 6th hh black book the ashen claws steal the nostromo geneseed vault the night lords were trying to rebuild the legion with post terra and it’s implied the sharks got some as they operate pretty closely with the ashen claws weird little pirate empire.

And the inquisition nabs a dead one in the badab war and it was of raven guard stock.

A couple weeks back but I'm reading Outer Dark now and there's an implication that the Ashen Claws and the sharkboys served the same primarch. Sharr and the leader of the Claws have a little dick-waving contest about who's the favorite kid, the Claw says they haven't forgotten the name of their primarch, and Sharr replies "And yet you no longer serve him. We do."

Which would make the sharks a Ravens Guard successor, probably. Maybe. In theory.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Josh Christ posted:

A couple weeks back but I'm reading Outer Dark now and there's an implication that the Ashen Claws and the sharkboys served the same primarch. Sharr and the leader of the Claws have a little dick-waving contest about who's the favorite kid, the Claw says they haven't forgotten the name of their primarch, and Sharr replies "And yet you no longer serve him. We do."

Which would make the sharks a Ravens Guard successor, probably. Maybe. In theory.

Yeah, Corax sent a poo poo ton of misfits out to the edge of known space as crusade fleets and it's implied that the the ashen claws and space sharks are descendents of those crusade fleets. It's honestly probably the main reason they tolerate each other.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Keep an eye out for your local store anniversary for this exclusive that has shorts from Mike Brooks and the dude that wrote Silent Hunters.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I've been going through the Night Lords audiobooks for the past few weeks and I've been really impressed by the quality. The voices really add to the characterization, especially Septimus.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
So powered through Mortis last night:

Warning - spoilers for real

- The Mechanicum/Titan political scenese were pretty cool, I enjoyed that.

- I thought the Titan battles dragged a bit, and I read Titanicus and enjoyed it

- Can someone please explain what the Dark Angels were doing at the Astromitician? It was like 1:30AM when that started to play out and I didn't quite get it. Like, ok Emperors ship goes up to cover for drop pods, drop pods down onto mountain, run into a Good....oh wait its bad daemon of the choir.... and what?

-I enjoyed the exposition with Oll. I thought that was pretty solid and I liked how they're framing time repeating or whatever. old warmaster meet new warmaster

- Enuncia is a Big Deal with capital letters holy gently caress. Also i picked up on when big E and Oll busted the Tower of Babel there were 20 psykers doing Enuncia things with a complete lexicon and there were also 20 Primarchs.

- Missing Primarchs cause big E tried to give em Enuncia and they hosed it up?

- Really enjoyed the scenes of the Emperor being a man under a tree in the desert and how the pressure and heat is getting to him. Malacador giving him water (perhaps future signs of how the sacrifice of psykers work) and than escaping as the Emperor throws a beam of sunlight to secure his passage was super duper cool.

- The book really really hammered in the back quarter how the Custodians are charged with the preservation of the emperor by any means necessary and they're just throwing poo poo at the wall to see if it sticks at this point. I could see that playing out with the King in Yellow shenanigans in the Eisenhorn universe.

-Super secret null secret agent guy was kinda cool.

- Overall a generally average book that isn't quite saved with some really really cool scenes imo

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Khizan posted:

I've been going through the Night Lords audiobooks for the past few weeks and I've been really impressed by the quality. The voices really add to the characterization, especially Septimus.

Yeah, I found these yesterday and they're pretty good. I liked Abaddon's voice too.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Waroduce posted:

So powered through Mortis last night:

Warning - spoilers for real

- I thought the Titan battles dragged a bit, and I read Titanicus and enjoyed it

- Can someone please explain what the Dark Angels were doing at the Astromitician? It was like 1:30AM when that started to play out and I didn't quite get it. Like, ok Emperors ship goes up to cover for drop pods, drop pods down onto mountain, run into a Good....oh wait its bad daemon of the choir.... and what?

My understanding is that the Astronomican being controlled by the traitors was precluding its guidance capabilities, which would make it harder for the Ultramarine fleet to reach Terra. They seized it so the Astronomican could be relit.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Skulk Hogan posted:

Yeah, I found these yesterday and they're pretty good. I liked Abaddon's voice too.

I did the same, based on the recommendations here, and Soul Hunter has been really good so far.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Mortis: in the afterword John French says one of the questions meant to be raised by the siege books is "who is Moriana?" I know Moriana from the black legion books but I had not picked up on her being one of the characters from the series. Or maybe I am misunderstanding him

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Any explanation for the delay in a Mortis audiobook?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Arbite posted:

Any explanation for the delay in a Mortis audiobook?

These days? Just assume production delays caused by COVID and you're probably not wrong.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Josh Christ posted:

There’s always sevetars shark dreams and the goal he forms in dark angels prison to seek out the enemies of man in the outer dark and destroy them for a comedy option of first exile.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Prospero Burns was nothing at all what I expected but one hell of a ride, wow.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I am also reading Prospero Burns right now, and my favourite bit thus far has been this lovely little simile: “Occasional little clouds dotted the horizon, cotton-white, like smoke signals lost for words.” :allears:

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Biplane posted:

Mortis: in the afterword John French says one of the questions meant to be raised by the siege books is "who is Moriana?" I know Moriana from the black legion books but I had not picked up on her being one of the characters from the series. Or maybe I am misunderstanding him

Moriana was one of the four founding members of the inquisition. She was a resurrectionist and a Horusian, believed that the emperor could be resurrected using the power that animated Horus. The prevailing theory (and it's pretty solid IMO), is that she is Cyrene, the word bearer confessor blind chick. I'm blanking on how any of that came into play in Mortis though.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

D-Pad posted:

Moriana was one of the four founding members of the inquisition. She was a resurrectionist and a Horusian, believed that the emperor could be resurrected using the power that animated Horus. The prevailing theory (and it's pretty solid IMO), is that she is Cyrene, the word bearer confessor blind chick. I'm blanking on how any of that came into play in Mortis though.

Mortis spoiler do not click

For real do not click if you haven't read it: Cyrene is the lip bone woman who saves Oll and his crew in the hosed up hive city. John grammaticus almost flat out says it. drat, if she's Moriana i can't wait to find out how she goes from whatever she is now to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Biplane posted:

Mortis spoiler do not click

For real do not click if you haven't read it: Cyrene is the lip bone woman who saves Oll and his crew in the hosed up hive city. John grammaticus almost flat out says it. drat, if she's Moriana i can't wait to find out how she goes from whatever she is now to that.

Oh poo poo that's right! remember she became a perpetual in one of the ADB HH books and I think the cabal helped her in some way as well. Maybe they aren't as dead as Eldrad thinks. It makes sense she would become the ur-radical of the inquisition, in the hive city she is definitely using chaos but doesn't seem to be on chaos side