Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Waroduce posted:

Has there been any news on the new Eisenhorn book? Its been.....a while. I feel like I'm waiting for Martin to release the new Game of Thrones at this point. Good lord.

(not as bad as the wait for Steakly's Armor 2. Jk thats never coming)

It's shown up on the Upcoming section of the BL site, says release is in November 2012.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Baron Bifford posted:

So how does the Imperium figure the Eldar move around? All they'd have to do is capture an Eldar outcast with a grudge against his people or who is so utterly selfish (every society has these types) that he would sell out his people in exchange for riches.

Keep in mind that the Eldar think of humans the same way that we think of a particularly dumb gorilla. Even if one of them decided to cause the extinction of the Eldar by revealing the secret of the webway, it certainly wouldn't come to humanity to do so. It'd be like you deciding to reveal how space travel works to the gorillas down at the zoo. I also highly doubt that any one eldar has the knowledge of a significant portion of the webway, so they would only be able to reveal a path or two at best.

Beyond that, the Imperium as a whole has a rather dim view of xenos and their trickery. I'm pretty sure rather than try and understand how they move about, they mostly just file it under eldar witchery

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Baron Bifford posted:

What happens when the workers try to unionize?

I'll add to the answers already provided. In the Ultramarines books they mention that there are worker guilds that negotiate with the merchant guild heads, iirc. Basically, some places will have unions and stuff, but they would generally be monolithic and corrupt and so would not really care about the welfare of the workers.

Furthermore, you have things like the Inquisition and other organizations that have unlimited power over society. Anything that might slow the grinding machine of eternal war they take an interest in so you don't really have a lot of latitude to negotiate out of mandatory unpaid overtime. The choice usually ends with "You're going to get in that manufactorum and make some loving tanks or you'll be servitored and do it for free. PS: we wish your family luck trying to get public assistance before they starve."

Another thing you should think about is that the Imperial Navy literally press-gangs the majority of its workers.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Baron Bifford posted:

I have a pet theory of mine that the Emperor was in fact ultimately responsible for humanity's golden age of civilization. In some of the older fluff, he was born around the dawn of civilization. He traveled the world incognito, influencing mankind towards peace, progress, and understanding. When he died, that influence stopped and humanity reverted to its natural Stone Age cruelty and magical thinking. This would explain why the Imperium hasn't made any progress in the 10,000 years since the Horus Heresy.

I think someone in one of these threads summed up the Emperor perfectly: the greatest leader humanity has ever known; and at the same time a terrible father.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Theparker posted:

If I remember correctly, he wasn't kicked out, only sent on a penance crusade to make up for following orders, which went against The Codex Asartes. It's still a bit retarded though.

He was assigned a death oath by the Chief Librarian and stripped of his rank and position in the Ultramarines.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
There was a great bit in the Night Lords series where Talos talks about how they were attacked by Astartes who were utilizing the Codex and he basically said that there was pretty much nothing they could have done to prevent getting their poo poo ruined.

I'm also pretty sure there is something in the Codex that is basically like "do whatever works because winning is all that's important when it comes to the survival of humanity."

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
I don't think this was mentioned yet, but for those of you who like Orky things they have released Deff Skwadron on the BL website for $17.50.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Trast posted:

Regarding Armor of Contempt...

Okay I can get Mkveener surviving the Chaos hit squads and becoming some half feral swamp lord with the Nightwalkers and remaking the Nalsheen. But on the other hand you'd think he'd be loyal enough to the Ghosts to show himself to Gaunt and Mkoll towards the end of the book. But Caffran's death really took the cake. Abnett reached nice and deep into the grim dark for that one.

Caffran's death is honestly one of the most brutal in the series. It's just so quick and unexpected. He was just trying to help that poor shell-shocked kid!

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Dodoman posted:

Just got through Pariah. I think this word sums up my feelings by the end:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

For once his ending was all that rushed and I loved how it ended with the same line the prologue of Eisenhorn ended. Can't wait for Penitient.

For anyone on the fence, the book starts of real slow but the by the second part it really picks and just becomes amazing.

I just finished it as well and I'm already jonesing for the next one really bad. The beginning is slow, but a good, deliberate slow that really makes you ask all these questions. The second half of the book is all about blowing your mind over and over and over until you're a quivering wreck.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Alchenar posted:

These people grow up on Death Worlds. By default every moment of their existence is traumatic because that's what Death Worlds are. They then get plucked out of a life where everyone and everything is trying to kill them and given the power to destroy anything that opposes them.

Keep in mind that many of the Chapter homeworlds are actually pretty decent places to live. Best example, is of course, The Ultramarines. They live on a very nice planet and they are less horribly oppressed than other places in the Imperium.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

VanSandman posted:

I can't think of a good reason for GW to ever advance the storyline much at all, so I'm leaning towards the missing primarch reveals or the new race. Is there anything currently in the fluff which could be expanded into a whole new race, like how the Genestealers became the Tyranids?

Codex: Darker Eldar

or, in seriousness, Codex: Mutants

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Did anyone read the short story prequel to Pariah called Perihelion? I'm wary of a $3 ebook from BL. I feel like it would probably be like 6 pages or something.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
I'd really like to see if there will be an explanation for Keeler's miracle in the first set of HH books. Does the Emperor really protect?

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Fried Chicken posted:

http://aarondembskibowden.wordpress.com/2013/10/28/deathwatch-talon-and-the-rise-of-the-weekender/

Talon of Horus should be done this weekend. Given his other comments, I think this means the editing and revision stage, so then it rolls to print. Also, some more interesting plastic mans comments and full confirmation of what he has already indicated the first 3 of the series will be about.

Plus some cool fan art of his characters

Oh man he says he going to be playing in some Deathwatch game with his friends. I'd love to see a that, I'd expect that it would be really creative.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

UberJumper posted:

Has there been anything about Abnetts next Gaunts Ghosts book? I thought it was supposed to be out in October. But i can't even find mention of it on the site anymore.

Almost all the gaunts ghosts stuff is oddly missing from the BL Site:

http://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-40000/Gaunts-Ghosts

Amazon to the rescue. Puts the ship date from Amazon on July 1, 2014. Probably will be out before then from BL.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Waroduce posted:

A beautiful idea
edit: that ASOIAF crossover fan fic is really fuckin good btw yall should read it

iawtp, though definitely don't read it unless you've gotten through book 4 in ASOIF (or don't plan on reading it at all). There are a few spoilers mixed in with the crazy other stuff.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Space Hulk is pretty good, if you're into the whole turn based strategy thing.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

EyeRChris posted:

They would just make the game one giant micro transaction where you have to pay for each figure individually.

It seems to me the best way to do that would be a monthly fee that buys you access to one army. You'd be able to pay more per month to have additional army slots given to you.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Demiurge4 posted:

I can imagine the nerd rage already. "You're basically railroaded down the renegade path, there are super bad outcomes to every paragon choice!" :qq:

All dialogue has renegade interrupts where you jam your chainsword through the guy's torso.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Shadeoses posted:

Re: derivative video games, a shooter along the lines of Spec Ops: The Line could be awesome. Have your character be in charge of a bunch of Imperial Guardsmen, as you fight and die across some horrible hellscape. Everything turns even more to poo poo as you progress, you have to do horrible things and go crazy, and in the end you get executed by a commissar.

Multiple endings. There should be one where you just go full on Khornate crazy and just murder people until you're either brought down or somehow survive a bunch of tough enemies.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Owlkill posted:

Has anyone got any recommendations for good Warhammer Fantasy novels? I know there's a section in the OP but that's just one person's opinion and I don't know when that was last updated.

I really enjoyed the Blackhearts series. I think it comes packaged as a three novel omnibus deal now.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Cooked Auto posted:

Speaking of Abnett as his non-40k material, today I learned he wrote a Tomb Raider book based on the newest game alongside Nik Vincent.

He also wrote a Doctor Who book.

it's really good

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Waroduce posted:

idk it was linked in the GBS thread and i saved it

Pretty sure that's 1d4chan

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

EyeRChris posted:

What are some good series to get into Warhammer Fantasy with?

I've mentioned this way back in this thread, but the Blackhearts series is pretty good.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
There are rumors that this new book Curse of the Wulfen by some guy I've never heard of might be the beginning of a End Times-esque move for 40k.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Shazaminator posted:

There have been rumors saying that for every release since Age of Sigmar happened.

Someone in the 40k thread posted spoilers about the book and they seemed like they might be the start of something big. Who knows, they are definitely already changing the 40k rules to be more like AoS

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
If there were voice acting for an Eisenhorn game, I demand that Cherubael be voiced by Andy Dick. I don't know why, but I can just hear it.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

KramFoot posted:

I got through the first round of Black Library's short story competition. Uhh I'm in shock here guys. Don't know how to process this really. Been told that my pitch has been accepted but it could still be a no but to wait for further instructions. Suffice to say if I do end up writing for BL I will have to give you fine fellows a mention somewhere in my short piece.

Wow, congrats!

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Rereading Pariah after Magos is a loving trip. Highly recommended.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Does Emperor's Gift have an audio book version? I'd strongly recommend that after the Ravenor series.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Be aware that Anarch feels a lot like a horror book god drat

e: Just finished. It's a good loving book, everyone.

Olanphonia fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 21, 2019

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
If you all haven't been reading the Flashman let's read, you're really missing out on the original Ciaphas Cain. Except Flashman, as has been noted before, is a tremendous piece of poo poo.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Whomever is making that series is really loving good at it. Like holy poo poo.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Have there been any new Cain books in the past few years?

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Sextro posted:

I’d pay full movie ticket price to see Cavill as Cain in a 40k rip off of Knives Out. You can bring in pretty much any group from 40k to play with. Not to mention doing something like Ciaphas Cain first definitely pays homage to 40k as satire.

Now that you've said it, it's all I want. Maybe charlie day as jurgen. Get him doing the charlie jurgen work

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
One of the things I really appreciate about the Vaults of Terra series is that Wraight gets how terrible it would be to exist in the imperium and how awful the inquisition is, even if they are ostensibly the "heroes" of the books.

The confrontation between Lementrov and Spinoza in the first book is so good. He tells her, as Crowl did but himself didn't fully understand, that everyone is terrified of their supposed protectors. So much so that they know if they were to bring evidence of a danger to the authorities they should expect to have the evidence burned alongside themselves and their family. The torture that Crowl employs obviously doesn't actually provide accurate information about the nature of the threat. Lementrov is right, clearly, and yet Spinoza can never come around to understanding why he would do what he's done because of how awful the imperium truly is. It is moribund and monstrous and even the inquisition, which has the greatest latitude to fight this, are one of the biggest drivers of its continued decline through their terror. It's such a good repudiation of those freaks that are unironically into the imperium irl. It's just a really solid look at how fascism destroys everything it claims to protect.

I think sometimes some BL authors get too comfortable with the imperium and it's good to see it described in an unvarnished look on occasion. It's not to say there shouldn't be heroes, but the imperium itself should always be a villain.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
https://youtube.com/watch?v=sBIjKJLc8ko
this dude does some of the good 40k speeches

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Black Griffon posted:

I have a soft spot for Uriel because the Ultramarines omnibus was one of the first 40k things I read. I can still remember specific images Warriors of Ultramar conjured in my mind, even over 15 fuckin years later or something.

Biplane posted:

I thought Nightbringer was cool as gently caress when I was like, 13 years old. 20 years later, not so much lol

:same:

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
I think you do you Gaunt, Eisenhorn, or Cain and it would translate well enough to a broad audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Telsa Cola posted:

Trailer for what

I think Henry Cavill is producing, and I assume is starring in, some 40k show or movie. I hope it's Cain and he's Cain and we get like Charlie Day to play jurgen