Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Just finished the first Eisenhorn book, now I find myself pouring over warhammer wikis for hours to better understand the organizational structure of the Imperium and how pieces of it fit together.

This is normal, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

pentyne posted:

He's almost like a generic every-man who takes every chance to get drunk on amsec and avoid danger, tries to not get killed, but ends up in such insane situations not realizing how badass he looks to outsiders despite trying not to. One of his famous achievements is killing a chaos space marine with his chain sword and it was basically him getting stuck between 2 warring Chaos factions and having the chance to give a coup de grace to the only surviving traitor marine and a few seconds later all the nearby guardsman burst in to see him just chilling over their bodies as he asks them what took so long.

Well, now I know what to pick up next.

Only read Eisenhorn so far. This and Ravenor seem like obvious choices.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

I've been wondering where to proceed after reading Eisenhorn, decided on the Ravenor trilogy and the Cain series. Hoping for good things.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

quote:

From Purge the Guilty! An Impartial Account of the liberation of Gravalax , by Stenatious Logar. 085.M42

I'm so glad I picked up Hero of the Imperium. It's the little things that make me appreciate it more.

mythicknight fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 18, 2018

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Finished Hero of the Imperium. That was frakking amazing. I'll leave Defender of the Imperium for later, don't want to get fatigued on Cain.

Before I jump into Ravenor I think I'm going to re-read Eisenhorn since it's been a long time and I've forgotten most of it already.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Did Quixos do anything wrong?

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Finished rereading Eisenhorn, time to crack open the Ravenor trilogy.

Question: when should I read Pariah, and The Magos? After the Ravenor books, in that order?

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Ardent Communist posted:

Yeah, there's a pretty good bit of warp fuckery with one of the Imperial Guard books. Basically they get sent after a distress call from a desert planet, which gets attacked by tyranids. Only problem is when they get there, there's nobody there. Turns out the message they sent out as they were getting overrun was the original distress call. So they got sent to rescue themselves, but they only needed rescuing because they got sent.
It'd almost be better if it was just a munitorum error.

This sounds amazing. Would love to read this.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Just finished the first Ravenor book. Holy hell that was awesome.

The entire Carnivora sequence was so well done I need a miniseries of this just for that. Stat.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Trying to find a paperback of Pariah that doesn't cost me an arm. No luck so far.

I guess Kindle version is the only way to go. Fuuuuck. Not used to reading from a screen.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Needed something to listen to on a long drive and decided to try my first audio book with Ravenor Rogue. drat, that was a good choice. Still not finished it yet but I'm really enjoying this way of rewding so far. Only bad part is I cant really flip back through pages to find some detail or reference easily.

How are 40k audiobooks in general?

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Looked forward to getting the Pariah audio book after finishing Ravenor Rogue, and now I find out it doesn't exist. I bought Magos, but from what Ive heard I should read Pariah first. Hell, even Magos has an audio book already. Why doesnt Pariah?

Guess I have to pony up and get a used copy.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Starting to read through Pariah, and... I have no idea what I expected, but this is a complete mindfuck. Is this the past? Why is The Chair there if this is the past? Are they in her mind, trying to wake her up? Is this a clone situation? Is she her daughter? Where the gently caress even is she really? Last I remember she was on Ravs ship in book one. gently caress, was that Gregor just now at the church? The gently caress is even going on anymore? I'm loving this confusion

Really enjoying this so far. How does Abnett always do it?

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Finished The Magos.

My head is full of gently caress. Gonna need to reread the last few chapters a few times and go back and reread Pariah. Some things from Pariah make better sense with more context, but I have even more questions now.

Penitent when

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Speaking of Eisenhorns weapons

you think he returned barbarister finally? or whats left of it. nayle is with him now and that was kinda a big thing for him iirc. I cant remember if he used it in pariah or magos.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Edit: I should read before posting.

But yeah, 1d4chan is great.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

The radical creep is so gradual I didnt realize it started so early until a later re-read. Even sacrificing the civie guy to knock out the Chaos Titan seemed like a necessary and overall good thing to do. Glaw completely called it on how it begins.

Once he uses Fischigs body as a meat puppet was only when it seemed like yeah, he's a total radical and cant be saved anymore. But he's still doing kickass work so I look forward to how he progresses into hell differently than, say, Quixos. Will his indomitable will actually stop him from going full heretic, or has that point already passed? :ohdear:

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Are space marines sterile?

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Guess I should start reading that series...

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

I've been imagining the naval invasion of 56-Izar for the past few days. God that can be such a good scene on its own I hope they don't blow it.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Finally listening to Helsreach after throwing a spare audible credit at it.

Man, cleaning the house while hearing the vivid descriptions of those sea facilities getting blown out and falling into the ocean one by one as they realize whats happening was metal as gently caress. So many good moments - fighting in the presence of the primarch statues, the titan standing back up, the roll call of Templars fallen and seed recovered, hell just the siege prep happening at the beginning - I dig it. A lot. This is my first Spaec Marine-centric book, what's a good follow-up?

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

A few chapters in listening to First And Only, and whew boy I already hate these two chucklefuck officers. Firenz / Dravere? The gently caress is their problem. The voice the narrator chooses for the General really nails the "gently caress this guy in particular" feeling.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Finally finished listening to Necropolis and...whew.

I called that oil pipeline being used like that like instantly after it got brought up in the beginning, loving trader scum.

I really wish the ending explained more of what went on and the aftermath. The hell happened in that meeting with Gaunt & Macaroth? C'mon man give us something. At least Gaunt got the girl I guess.

I loved Ghostmaker, not sure how I feel about this one yet. I don't think the next few books have been audioized yet so I guess I'm picking up some omnibusses; $200 for a single book on Amazon what the christ is going on with that.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

wish more of his stuff was on audible. looks like the latest one is, so thats cool

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

CAR-CAR-CARNIVORA still gets me.

gently caress yeah, i remember listening to this part during a longass drive

kickin rad

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

von Metternich posted:

I think the Primarchs are such a big ol ball of chaos energy and destiny and fate that they can literally be only killed by each other, or the Emperor, unless they WANT to die (like Cruze.) Lorgar and Angron get lava cannoned and stepped on by a Titan, Guilliman spends hours in the void without a suit, and Dorn tells Sindrmann that he could jump off the top of the palace and it wouldn’t kill him, only one of his brothers could.

It’s fine as myth, but breaks down pretty hard when you think about it.

***Edit: this doesn’t mean I don’t want to see Valdor gently caress up any or all of the traitor Primarchs.

I have to stop myself from over-analyzing things like this. Especially with Corax's current form being a thing. Like, is Corax to Full-Powered SSJ, as a Daemon Primarch form is to Ultra-SSJ? Is Daemon Princedom really just a sidegrade tech tree to Primarchs rather than an upgrade, if Primarchs are already warp-stuff, just not necessarily daemon-stuff? Can a Daemon Primarch revert back to normal Primarch?

I have too much time on my hands.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

goddamn i love the art on the new pariah/penitent releases

where do i :f5:

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

ITS UP

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Silly Newbie posted:

I've read some ABD and I'm hooked (previously I felt Abnett was the only real quality 40k author), could you all share your top 5 ABD that isn't horus heresy? I've only read three so far, so there will be good stuff in any top 5 list.
Emperor's Gift, Talon of Horus, and Black Legion down so far.
He doesn't do the close character studies as deftly as Abnett in my opinion, but there's a whole lot of good there. He also chooses way harder subjects, it's much easier to make regular humans relatable than marines.

Helsreach

so loving good.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

D-Pad posted:

Reminder that tomorrow is the Penitent release as well as Swords of Calth. The ebooks go live at 12pm midnight eastern time on Amazon.

Oh poo poo, time to evacuate for a week or two till I can finish it. Emperor bless.

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Finally finished Penitent and OHMYGODSHITBALLSFUCK that entire end trip to the City god loving drat. the King reveal jesus christ. these college fucks. i need to chart out all the factions in play here its mind boggling. then the loving craftworlds. this is loving huge and i cannot wait to see everything go to hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

Guess im setting an alarm for that.

This is dangerous. I dont usually buy LEs or SEs, but these...these are purtty...

Also, my GW preorder for the regular hardcovers of Pariah/Penitent are finally getting here tomorrow. My Amazon preorder (which came out a week after GWs release date) got here a week and a half ago. Guess I know what to expect now for GW times.

mythicknight fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Mar 15, 2021