Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Intergalactic, all-planetary, everything super-supreme champion
Do you pledge to fear no death or listen to reason.

>>Listen to reason

You have fallen to chaos and are now a Slaanesh sex slave until they decide your skin would make an awesome team pennant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Baron Bifford posted:

Why can't humans or Orks access the Webway? Why do the Eldar have exclusive access?

As for humans I think the Emp was close to this but Magnus inadvertantly destroyed it when he used his powers to try and warn him of the heresy which lead to Prospero burning.

Orks probably can't because its the one thing that can't be solved with more dakka.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Speaking of the missing primarchs. I know there isn't much detail about them but it seems like in Heresy they seem to hint pretty strongly that one of them killed the other and Russ was forced to sanction the aggressor.

I think I got most of this impression from Prospero Burns.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

I forget which Cain book had the Metal Men in it. Kinda shows that the AI could still be made but the robots pretty much go into "Crush Kill Destroy Swag" mode instantly.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

drkhrs2020 posted:

I remember this, it was some 'mono-filament' knife that became standard issue to all IG. Apparently 1 planet each was considered a huge bargain for the design.

From what it says, the planet with STC tech had its front line troops in Space Marine equivalent gear.

Yeah, common sense doesn't matter when it comes to technology. Specifically, the tech priests. For starters

- Forge worlds don't share templates, so if the only world with a plasma pistol template gets eaten by a hive fleet, no more will ever get made
- They always wake up any Necron tech they find
- They plot how to sway Tau machine spirits to their side via bribing
- Replace as much flesh with metal as possible
- Advise wholesale destruction on any human planet with non Adeptus Mechanicus infrastructure

I recall one planet during the Macharian Crusade that by itself held off the Crusade fleet for 2 years until they got fed up and directed a massive comet to hit the planet.

Think of it like a monopoly. The AM don't care about advancing only improving technology, or worshiping it and keeping anyone else from cutting it.

The Tech Priest Necron thing I find funny. In the Cain book where he stumbles upon a Necron Hive frozen in the ice you get the impression he is face palming so hard his hand bursts out the back of his head over how horny the Tech Priests are to find it. Mean while he is just thinking of a way to piss himself in a way that would make him seem like a hero when he runs screaming from the planet with his pants on fire.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

I think I read somewhere, tvtropes maybe, that orks evolve stronger and bigger if they face a strong enough threat. Khorne is powered by violence itself. Has Khorne Daemons ever squared off against Orks in an endless siege? I'm picturing Titan size Orks facing the Avatar of War that ends in a violent bro fist so epic the planet implodes.

Also are there any stores (book or just short stories) from BL that follow the orks in depth? Got a kindle fire so if its ebooks I'm still good.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Wasn't it one of Zeech's plans to have the Emp of mankind trapped in the golden throne because if he died he would ascend to god hood and rival the ruinous powers of the warp. I always figured the Death of the Emp would seem like the darkest day of the Imperium but it would be their first real step to fighting back and retaking ground in a war that has been nothing but their poo poo getting pushed in at all sides. Its also the reason why he strived to remove the Thousand Sons from the playing field because their part in the war would have given humanity too strong of an edge against the forces of choas.

Granted the lore of this game makes my head hurt. Zeech creates plans that could end the war in a forte night but plots against himself to make his plans "fail" because if Chaos won he'd lose his power and cease to exist cause there would be no more change in the galaxy. He's like Doctor Doom who is also secretly his own Reed Richards.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

Whoever wrote the script for Space Marine was pretty aware of it too.

I would kill for a sequel to this. So freaking awesome. The game is the reason I started reading Warhammer 40k books to learn more about the lore.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

After the first Gaunts omnibus. Whats the second? Just finished Ravenor and I got time till Pariah comes out.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

It was kinda described that the way he raised he developed the natural talent to just go unnoticed. Its not like he can stand in a brightly lit room and be invisible, but in the dark he naturally knows where to go and maybe able to sway minds to ignore his shape in the shadows.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Baron Bifford posted:

I read Legion. How can the Cabal be anything other than a deception by Chaos? If Chaos won the Horus Heresy, I expect it would have farmed humanity instead of exterminating it. Plus humanity isn't entirely responsible for Chaos - what about the Eldar and the Orks?

The Cabal has forseen that if Horus was to kill his father and win. He would break down and proceed to kill the entire empire out of grief. So it would be a faster death than to square off against Chaos for 10k years if Horus were to fall.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Alpha legion was the one that was always willing to make the hard decision for what would be better for the empire. The cabal showed them two choices. A quick and seemingly painless death or 10k years of anguish as Chaos turns humanity into fuel and nightmares. Alpha Legion only sided with Horus because the quick death would be better for all. Although its possible that Omegeron might be even playing Alpha legion against themselves and setting up plans to help humanity to win. Alpha Legion is on the razer edge of Heretics or Loyalists but unless Games Workshop is willing to advance the story we'll probably never see Alpha Legion turn against Chaos and potentially wipe out a legion or two before going down in a blaze of glory.

The Cabal I think look at it this way. If Horus did win and killed all of Humanity in less than a thousand years. The Chaos gods would be denied the power they'd have gained from the conflict making it easier for the next galactic generation to fight and perhaps destroy Chaos.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

I like to think some Orders of Inquisitors leave Life Eater bombs on random worlds in case of Chaos invasion. If a High Value Target appears on that planet they immediately cause exterminatus in hopes of killing an Abbadon or what have you.

Course I like Abbot's Inquisitors. Willing to do what ever it takes to take out their main threat. Even if it means falling to radical ways. Can't wait for Pariah to come out to see what happens between our favorite inquisitors.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Would love to read a story about a Khorne follower who is cold and calculating. That his subtle actions cause world wide conflict and greater fighting than a single person could do on their on.

...*Cough*
I mean blood for blood god! Skulls for Skull Throne! Souls for the soul eater!!!

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Just started Fear to Tread and only a few chapters in but liking it so far.

Love the bit where they work with Alpha Legion for like half a chapter and it leaves you wondering. What the gently caress did Alpha Legion do to put an entire Ork Fleet into a panic?!

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Just finished the battle of the fang. I thought it was a pretty good book. Only thing that left me wondering at the end of it was...
The amount of Punishment Magnus takes. I know he is Primarch and unequaled in all the galaxy outside of his peers, but god drat he took enough of a beating to cripple a Titan. Cut and stabbed up by Raging wolves in terminator armor, beaten and hosed up by Bjorn who proceeds to plasma cannon him across the Fang into a thunderhawk, detonates the fuel cell and keeps hammering him until there is not even skin left on Magnus. Then they throw him off the fang he faceplants down a cliff and then is fighting the great wolf taking even more damage to his now exposed warp form. For the love of the Emporer what does it take to bring him down? Do they need to fire Pariahs with melta charges strapped over 90% of their body at him at this point?

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Isn't it implied in the fluff somewhere that Zeech creates plans that could end the war but then works against those plans so that the war against Chaos marches on because once Humanity falls the universe wouldn't change any more and he'd lose power. Could have swore I read that in the fluff some where when reading up on the thousand sons but now can't find it.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Scoobi posted:

Wow I also just finished this last night and I had the same thoughts. At the end: Was there significance with the extra suit of armor? Omeagon is hiding it from Alpharius, but I don't know if that necessarily makes them on opposite sides. But I did get that feeling. Aaaaa

I'm fairly certain...
That Omega really is loyal and already planting seeds of misdirection even on his own legion in case he has to take them out to protect the empire. Alpharus, so far in the heresy, is being painted as Horus loyal. While Omega in this story seems to be painted as a loyalist in deep cover. When they get around to the conflict with Guilliman we might find out which twin survived. The Loyalist or the Heretic. Even if Omega is loyal there is no way Alpha Legion will be welcomed back. If they ever advance the 40k story the only way it would go down would be him stopping or killing Abbadon at the cost of the remaining Alpha Legionaires.

Granted I'm no expert on the fluff but thats what I've gathered from the wiki and the Heresy books.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

How do the Chaos Legions sustain themselves? Seems like after the various losses the Thousand Suns have taken that they couldn't be considered much of a threat left. After the Wolves, barely, oval office punted Magnus back to the warp they shouldn't have much left in the way of troops. I can't imagine after the 10k years there are many of the original world eaters left behind. And, granted from one Night Lord novel, it seems both the Night Lords and The Black Legion shouldn't have much left in reserve as well. Night Lords don't seem to have much structure left and Abbadon spends people like spare change.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

When I first saw them I just assumed it was a James Bond laser watch.

I always pictured it as a ring that shoots lasers. Kinda like The Mandarin from the Iron Man comics.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Doesn't look like I'll be continuing the Night Lords books any time soon. Blood Reaver is going for crazy prices on Amazon. Did this suddenly go out of print or something?

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

I got lucky today. I braved a trip to the mall and the Barnes and Nobel there had 1 copy of Blood Reaver and Void Stalker. Considering that its like 25+ on amazon getting them for 8.99 is a win for me.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Well lets look at the personality aspects of the known primarchs and pick which ones are lacking. I figure one of the lost primarchs was an inventor. The Scientist aspect of the Emperor. He created his world into a Utopia that surpasses the Imperium and had tech that made the tech of mars look like childs play. After the Emperor showed that by absorbing it he'd ruin the world the Primarch made he rebelled for the good of his people. The entire planet and all its tech was crushed under the weight of 3 legions.

The other cheated Russ in cards.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

SquadronROE posted:

Wasn't the point of their book that the Alpha Legion got a view of what it would look like if the Imperium succeeded, versus if Chaos "won", and saw that the Imperium winning was far worse than anything else?

It was more of the choice between a quick death versus 10k years of suffering as the world universe burns down around them. Alpha Legion was about making the tough decisions. If Horus won then he would have snapped and killed off the rest of the universe starving the warp gods of their fuel. If The Master of Mankind won then it would throw them into a conflict that would see mankind slowly killed off from all ends. Alpha made the decision to side with Horus, but Omega seems to have a plan B just in case. Horus didn't win and a corpse sits on the golden throne. So the future Alpha Legion sided for is thrown in flux. Perhaps the surviving twin (most likely Omega) now sees a third possibility.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Azran posted:

Wait, the first? :raise: What about the abomination known as Battle for the Abyss? :v:

It never existed

I don't know much about the lore but in the time line of the Heresy it feels way to out of place.
World Bearers beginning the assualt on Ultramar, and the Ultramarine ship has a Space Wolf, a World Eater, and a Thousand Son on board? Pretty sure Prospero happened before the first salvo was fired so the son of Russ would have eaten the thousand son on principle. No matter how many oath of moments he swore to Terra after the fact. Hell was there even any loyal thousands sons after Prospero? I know Garro was a loyal Death Guard and there are a few Luna Wolves, but there has been no hint on any of the other legions having a few go rogue and remain loyal.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Going back to the blanks/pariahs...

Have there ever been any that were made Space Marines? Seems like the Sons of Russ would try to breed Fenris blanks and try to ascend them in hopes of making a huge gently caress you to the Thousand Sons so if they ever cross paths again that they'll put Magnus down for good. Or does the Office get to steal any of the good ones to put through their programs to make more anti-chaos assassins?

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

I thought we agreed to never use that books name again.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

I've always said it as Zeech. Sounding like (be)seech

Granted I like the answer that the pronunciation changes :p

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

UberJumper posted:

Why the gently caress can't the Black Library Write one decent book about the Dark Angels? I am guessing there will eventually be a third dark angels book? All the two books have taught me is that, The Lion is socially awkward, and Caliban is a death trap.

The Dark Angels in the Heresy books seem like the least effective legion in history. They are newly founded, their primarch is pretty much retarded, doesn't see the splintering in his legion thats right in front of him, effectively makes it worse, and then hands over the keys to some super weapons to the massacre. Even if its written in the wikia for the Lion to return would it be a good thing? The Lion makes everything worse.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Can't help the Lion is out of place there. The HH books made it seem like he was found last. Or maybe just bad writing made the timeline in those books bad.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Schneider Heim posted:

I finished Battle of the Fang. Was pretty good, even if you know how it's going to end. I liked the Thousand Sons POVs and the portrayal of characters like Magnus and Bjorn. It was nice to see how Chris Wraight built his story on top of material from Prospero Burns.

The three books really do feel like one of the best set of books to come out of the Heresy. Thousand Sons > Prospero Burns > Battle of Fang are just too drat good when read back to back.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

As much as i love the grim dark of the WH40k lore I can't help but love Cain a bit more than the rest. Something about a commissar of the imperium being a coward who has lucked out into being its greatest hero simply because he treats his troops nice (so they won't 'accidently' frag his rear end) amuses me to no end. Just started the Greater Good. I got the first two omnibus' so what are the other stories I'm missing Emporeres finest and ???

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Jerkface posted:

Space Marines can effectively live forever, its the constant being shot at by aliens and other space marines that stop them.

Bjorn the Fell Hand says what ever to that and to wake him next time Magnus needs to be oval office punted back into the warp.

Granted Bjorn might be the exception to the rule as he might be one of the last surviving people who have actual seen and walked with the Emperor.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

SquadronROE posted:

I finished Know No Fear last night and started on Battle of the Fang thanks to this thread: Know No Fear was great. I loved the personification of the Ultramarines. They are a lot more interesting than I first thought they'd be. I'm sad I don't know of any other stories with them in them that are well written.

Battle of the Fang... is this going to turn into some weird furry erotica? I honestly can't tell yet, although I'm only a few pages in.

Battle of Fang is like injecting bull shark testosterone directly into your scrotum. It turns girls into boys and boys into men.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

My problem with the Greater Good is, despite the Fire warrior on the cover we didn't get any Imperial / Tau back to the wall cooperation. I kinda wanted to see Imperial and Tau working together :(

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Shroud posted:

I swear Black Library is trying to make me never buy an ebook from them. $16 for Mark of Calth? I don't care how enhanced it is, how about sell a version without the stupid pictures?

Their ebook pricing policy makes no sense. Not to mention the extra effort you have to do to put them onto a reader. I wish they would just give it up and put their books on the kindle market and be done with it.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

With a Thousand Sons its really broken into three sets. The first set is kinda the throw away part of the story unless you want more about the sons and their history / personality. Second act is the Consol of Nakea. Then the Third is the persecution of the Wolves.

It follows the same pacing of Prospero Burns but without the main characters having the air in the back of your head of being doomed. I am not a WH40k expert by any measure but I did like the characterization of the Sons. So their book was better for me. But then again it was used as the pallete cleanser for "Battle of the Furious Abyss" Abyss and Outcast Dead are the only books that made me and my novice level knowledge of the lore boggle at what feels like timeline errors.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

mllaneza posted:

So I started the Soul Drinkers series. Right at the start Ben Coulter introduces one of the most 40k things ever. Soul Drinkers listen to music in their drop pods, but not recordings. The pods have a choir of servitors that are just faces and vox units. How badly do you have to gently caress up for THAT to be your fate ?

There are lots of references to criminals being repurposed as servitors, but very few references to anyone actually suffering that fate.

...why is it I find it every so amusing to picture an entire wall of faces singing Bohemian Rhapsody as the assualt pod is dropped from orbit.

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Uroboros posted:

Anyone mind telling me what the hell the point was behind Angel Exterminatus? As far as I can tell no one "lost" and no one "won", except perhaps the Eldar race.

A few questions:
-The Eldar guides. Am I correct in my assumption that they were trying to pit the two groups of Space Marines against one another to prevent them from sacrificing millions of souls to Slaneesh? I found this weird since one of them pretty much comes out and states he is from Commorragh. This is where I got kind of confused, because I wasn't sure why they even bothered. Self-sacrifice doesn't seem to be a Dark Eldar trait.
-Fulgrim's ritual is clearly hosed up, but then suddenly it works as if it didn't matter...does he become the Angel Exterminatus?
-Perturabo is drained by the stone that Fulgrim tricked him into wearing, however he throws it into the abyss and is snagged by Captain's Grapple-Hawk. This seems to not really matter...

It just seemed like there was a shitload going on with very little resolution. The only characters I really enjoyed were the Salamander Apothecary, Raven Guard Super-Ninja, and the Iron Father that nearly got them all killed. I suppose the book was worth it to see Lucius get his rear end whooped again, but honestly the Iron Warriors tie-in seemed really shoe horned at the last minute.

The big things
~First Daemon Prince
~Perturabo is now in the eye of terror
~Perturabo got his stregnth back when the stone was shattered allowing him to beat his brother like a drum
Also...
~The first time Lucius loses a fight, but is now favored by Slaanesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

I thought one of the theories about the Emperor is that he was on the verge of becoming a god. That the Chaos gods don't want him to die on the golden throne because its the only thing keeping him from manifesting into godhood. Which may mean that Cypher knows this and his never back down march to Terra could be that he plans to kill the Emperor so he can be reborn and summon his remaining sons back into battle.