Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I actually enjoyed the Soul Drinker books, at least the ones that I read. (2nd and 3rd) They weren't amazing, but I was entertained.

Now, the Dawn of War omnibus was horrible and I never finished it, and really, I wasn't the biggest fan of the Space Wolves books. They were too human, in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

drkhrs2020 posted:

Also are there any books that follow someone besides the Imperium or Chaos space marines? The only ones I could find were Eldar ones by CS Goto, but even on Amazon they have lovely reviews.

Path of the Warrior was pretty good in my opinion. The CS Goto Eldar books are pretty bad.

I am just voicing my opinion here, but The War for Armageddon was a really good book in my opinion. You have Black Templars dropping into the fray that get hosed up by AA and seperated, as well as a Titan Princeps as the main plotlines. The Black Templar side of it focuses on the Emperor's Champion, and a Dreadnaught. I loved every second of it and I wish I could find another copy of it, but it seems to be out of print.

Of course, because of this, "Helsreach" is starting to get a little confusing for me. Did they retcon the whole Black Templars drop podding in a bunch of marines as part of a crusade?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Arquinsiel posted:

Black Templars don't have companies, they have "crusades".

Right but in "Helsreach" It give the impression that there are 100 marines from the crusade that are the only ones planetside.

Whereas in "The War for Armageddon" One of the Templar Fortress Monastaries gets hit with an ork Rok, ending with only one survivor, barely alive on top of a pile of corpses. (He becomes the Dread.) It then skips ahead to the Templars arriving in orbit above Armageddon, after tracking the orks that smashed their monastary to the planet. At this time, the war has already started, and they enter orbit and start dropping pods. Ork AA fire hits a bunch of them, and they scatter all over the place. I got the impression from that book that the entire Crusade dropped onto Armageddon.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Right, that is what I was thinking as well. Hell, the book even features Von Straub being incompetant, which was second war, but I really could have sworn that it took place during the third war. (especially because the Templars weren't at the second war according to the BA codex... unless Ward hosed up again.)

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Nephilm posted:

None of the major factions are good; everyone's out to look for their continued survival first and foremost.

The Tau seem to be pretty cool guys. They would rather diplomacy than war, and would like to see everyone working together for the greater good.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Just look over the form. I had the same issue but it turned out I had something set wrong. I forget what it was though.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I remember reading some old novel about an Inquisitor, a squat and an Imperial Fist who end up going into the webway for some reason. It was... odd though. I think the Fist ended turning into a Thousand Son for a bit until his dead battle brothers turned him back.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
The Imperium, as a whole, is pretty unintelligent, and ignorant about things. They are just normal people living in their hyperindustrialized religious cities, and they know only what they need to know. There has been reference made to the fact that most of them don't even know that the traitor astartes even exist.

As you go up the heirarchy though, them more and more knowlege becomes availale. Even then, the higher ups probably don't know everything.

Then you have the Inquisition. They are the ones who tend to know the most, as it is their duty to understand, investigate, and refuse the xenos, heretics and demons. It is also their duty to censor any information that they deem to be damaging to the Imperium, even if that means exterminating everything on a planet. (Like whiping out the citizens of Armageddon after the first war because they fought chaos.)

By the way, what is the name of the book involving the Space Wolves during the first war for Armageddon? It seemed interesting to me, and I would like to pick it up. I just forget the name.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 22, 2012

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Oh, awesome, it is written by Dembski-Bowden. That makes it even more desirable to me.

Thanks man.

Edit: Yup, found the book about the inquisitor. It is Chaos Child by Ian Watson. Writing wise, it really wasn't that bad, though the description of Emperor's Children raping people was a bit much, but fluff and story wise, it was pretty hosed up.

By the way, what is this bit about a dancing dreadnaught. It must have been from the other two books in the series.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 22, 2012

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

dongsbot 9000 posted:

They need to steal from Starcraft some more and just have an alpha+ psyker become the Queen of Blades.

Ugh, I hate when people go and do this. There is nothing worse than someone saying that 40K is a ripoff of Starcraft. Starcraft is just a gigantic rip off of Tremors and comparing it in any way to 40K is just wrong. Actually, now that I think about it, 40K is ripped off of Dune, and Dune is a retroactive rip off of Tremors as well.

(And yes, my intent is to be sarcastic and make fun of the people who go back and forth on the whole "who ripped off who" argument. Everyone rips off everyone because that is how cultural influence works.

That being said, I was still kind of annoyed that Gameinformer listed Space Marines as #5 on their list of the best Space Marines. It just seemed kind of odd. Like listing astronaut ice cream above regular ice cream on the list of the best ice cream like substance.

Wow, I kind of ranted a bit here. Personally, I don't really get why people are upset about the ending/story line of the Nid campaign of DOW 2 Retribution. Nids eat things, and that is pretty much it... until Matt Ward gets a hold of them. Then I am sure they will get some sort of fleshed out backstory and will be portrayed as misunderstood. I personally can't read C.S. Gotos codex tie in novel about the Hive Tyrant Slashymurderkitten and his adventures along side the Ordo Xenos as they try and solve a Dark Tyranid cult's plot to stop the big Carnifex Surf off. (seriously, why am I trying to get through the Dawn of War Omnibus again? All it does is bring me pain, but at the same time, I paid money for it so I feel obligated.)

Anyway, does anyone know if "Sons of Dorn" is good or not? I found it at a yard sale for 15 cents and decided to pick it up.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Baron Bifford posted:

Ripping-off is often a two-way street for ongoing works of fiction. World of Warcraft was inspired by Dungeons and Dragons, but the latest edition of D&D has borrowed the mechanics of WoW. W40K will soon be pinching ideas from Starcraft. Also, originality is a little overrated.

Hence my gigantic sarcastic paragraph about how Starcraft was a rip off of Tremmors.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So, because I lacked the $150 to get what I really wanted (complete Gaunts Ghosts Ebook explosion) I picked up the Eisenhorn and Ravener Christmas collection off of BL for my Kindle.

I am just wondering if anyone had any sort of clue as to the order that I am supposed to read these in. I know the main Eishenhorn books go, Xenos, Malleus, Hereticus, but where to the short stories, and Ravener fit in?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Cooked Auto posted:

According to ADBs twitter he's apparently going to write a Sisters of Battle story. Nothing more was about it other than that so I have no idea if it's going to be a novel or a short story. Awesome regardless.

I heard it will be the story of a sisterhood, desperately defending their sanctuary from demons that have ravaged their planet, hoping to hold out long enough for a group of Grey Knights to reinforce them. The demons seem kind of reluctant to touch their blood though, for some reason.

In all seriousness though, I would read the hell out of an ADB Sisters book, just because I like his writing style.

Anyway, I am enjoying Eisenhorn quite a bit, though I am starting to feel that the psychic voice suggestion thing is very Jedi mind trickish, so while it is cool, it just feels off to me.

Also, did anyone else notice that Goto isn't on the list of BL writers anymore?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Actually, I do also agree that a good writer could actually use bloodtide to make an awesome story out of it. It just will probably never happen.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Ambiguatron posted:

The whole thing has a hyperviolent Saturday morning cartoon feel to it. Some of the lead up to the big battle is well done but it quickly goes into being way over the top. Sanguinius all but surfs a battle barge from orbit.

Um... This is the Blood Angels we are talking about here. I would be upset if Sanguinius didn't surf everything possible.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So what happened to the water in the oceans on Terra. I know it had water pre heresy, and during the siege the oceans were "boiled away" but what actually happened to the water itself? It can't just be in vapor form, since terra would have to be an unlivably high temperature in order to keep it vaporous. I am pretty sure if you flash evaporated all of the earth's oceans, they would eventually refill, unless you removed the atmosphere. (Of course, I am sure that flash boiling the oceans would cause other, more pressing issues for everyone on earth.)

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Thulsa Doom posted:

It was already gone by the Heresy era. The ocean basins were settled and had hives built on them. Terra was basically a hive world even then.

So where did the water go?

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 28, 2012

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Nephilm posted:

Pretty terrible joke even if you get it right away.

Meh, I was bored and the picture was easily shoppable.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Yeah, but come on, there always seems to be that one jackass marine and his cronies in every poorly written SM book. The one who openly disrespects the main character and finds him to be weak because he cares for humanity, or clings to old ways and stuff like that.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Yup, the Flesh Tearers were almost excommunicated due to their barbarity, and their predilection for succumbing to the Black Rage. Their Chapter Master, Seth, has been working hard to turn them around, and the Blood Angels are actually on speaking terms with them again.

Anyway, I was at my local book store today and I noticed that they organized, and heavily stocked up on 40K novels, so despite having the entire Gaunts Ghosts, Ravenor, and Eisenhorn serieses to read though, I picked up some books about Space Marines to add more variety to my ADHD driven reading habits.

First off, they had both of the Blood Angels Omnibuses there, and seeing as I play a Blood Angels successor chapter, I couldn't help sighing and lamenting the fact that there is no good Blood Angels fiction out there.

Anyway, I figured it was time to get some Space Marine Battles books out of the way for my collection. I already have Helsreach on my Kindle, so I didn't have to get that. Their selection was Helsreach, Rynns World, Purging of Kaldaris, The Fang, Architect of Fate, Legion of the Damned, Hunt for Voldorius and Gildar Rift.

I ended up picking up Kaldaris, Legion, and Brotherhood of the Snake. I have heard good things about Legion and Snake, but how is Kaldaris?

Also, in general, how do the SM battle books stack up? I know that Helsreach is considered #1, and that Hunt for Voldemort is considered to be pretty poo poo, but what about the rest of them?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
What is the "wet leopard snarl" thing even referring to?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Please tell me that Purging of Kadilus gets better. I enjoyed the ork bit in the prolog, though the part with the sentry looking out at the dust cloud and exclaiming "Emperor's Balls." was a bit, odd. Anyway, now I am at the part where the Chaplain just finished beating up some orks, which felt kind of flat and disconjointed to me, and he just pulled a prayer scroll from the wall that had survived the Ork vandalism. He then crumples it up, and gets pissed over the fact that the Orks have done so much damage to his home.

Maybe it is because all I have been reading as of late is Abnett and ADB, but I am having issues caring about this book. Please tell me that we get some character development and dialog soon. As of right now, I don't give two shits about Chaplain Boreas, or whatever his name is.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Well gently caress. I just can't read further in Kadilus. It is like pulling teeth and reminds me of trying to read the Dawn of War omnibus that I bought before I knew better.

Here's hoping that Legion of the Damned is better, but if not, I still have a bunch of Gaunts Ghosts books to read, Eisenhorn, Ravenor, and Brotherhood of the Snake.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Well, I have decided to do something that is incredibly lame, and probably very stupid, but I am going to do it anyway. I have decided to try my hand at writing Space Barbie fanfiction. I am mainly doing it to get myself back into the swing of writing normal fiction since I am a bit rusty, and I figure it will be fun.

Anyway, I want your guys opinion on things that I should avoid doing that seems to be done a lot in BL books. Overuse of adverbs and other grammar issues is obvious, of course. Things like, "reading about combat is boring as hell when the author spends six pages describing every single action of a single marine fighting orks." is what I am looking for.

Pretty much what I am asking for is for you to post every annoying thing that you can think of that authors do in BL books so that I can avoid doing that.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Now, Black Library has no qualms about blatent plagiarism correct? I mean, Zho got his poo poo published, and it is still promoted despite plagiarism.

I think I will write a story about a young Commissar, who's parents are killed by a great and powerful chaos sorcerer but is unable to kill him as a baby due to a failed perils of the warp test. Anyway, he is sent to live with his moisture farming aunt and uncle, who don't treat him too nicely. Then, when he is 10 years old, they administratum realizes they misfiled some paperwork or something, and they forcively send him off to the magical Schola Progenium on planet Bogerts. There, he makes friends, and has zany adventures, all while learning fun abilities like executing cowards. But sinister things are happening in the Warp. The evil sorcerer is gathering strenght, biding his time until he can finally kill the young commissar in training. Why? Because he has demonically mutated OCD.

I shall call it, Horatio Pyter.

In all seriousness though. I am just writing Space Marine stuff, but I have plans that are interesting and a bit different from the normal "He kicked the ork in the face with his foot hard. Bits of bone flew spirally out of his face and went spiraling away leaving spirals in the dust as they spun... in a spiraling motion. The continued his own spiraling motion with a spiraling roundhouse kick that caused the next ork to spiral to the floor."

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Fifty Shades a' Red

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Gone with the WAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I am wondering if the Abnett quote of "The next time I need a galaxy burned, I'm calling Zho" on Emperor's Mercy is actually a sarcastic comment.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Another fun aspect is the view that all artificial intelligence is heretical due to the wars of the Iron Men. (Basically robots. Typical SciFi self aware robots.)

But, the Admech continues to use some sort of base AI that they call the Machine Spirit. This is a mix between superstition and actual application. They believe that all machines have one of these spirits, from the lowliest rifle or cogitator engine, up to the massive Armageddon Titan. Of course, only certain machines seem to have one of these spirits, and thus the machine spirit is also seen as a sort of scape goat. If your rifle jams, it isn't normal mechanical failure, you did something to piss off the machine spirit of the rifle. Some infantry actually recite a litany of reloading every time they switch clips, praying to their rifle's spirit that it uses the clip efficiency and without fail.

The machine spirit does seem to be an AI system though, which is most easily seen in the Titans. It is constantly stated that the Machine Spirit of a titan is that of a feral predator, and that the mind-linked Princep is always in a battle of control over the titan's Spirit. Eventually the Princep does go insane and the Titan can take over until the new Princep is installed. In this regard, the mindlinked human crew is the failsafe for the AI or something like that.

As for technological advancement, it is viewed with heavy suspicion. The highest point of human advancement is referred to as the "Dark Age of Technology." They believe that it was responsible for the Age of Strife, and that all newly discovered technology needs to be heavily researched and prayed over before it can be implemented. Any new technological advancement without an STC is viewed as heretical, and most modification is only performed as a necessity. (Replacing a burned out Destroyer gun with a Demolisher cannon is a good example.)

There are a few exemptions though. Space Marine chapters have made modifications to STC designs, such as the BA's improved engines, the Templar's Crusader, and the Dark Angel Land Raider Ares, but they tend to be outside most standard Imperial regulations. A non Astartes example though is the Death Korps of Krieg Ragnarok.
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/File:Ragnarok.gif#.UHwqJsVfQrU

This is not really a tech advancement, but a Leman Russ alternative used by Krieg forces during their civil war. That being said, it is not made my any Admech Forgeworlds as far as I know, and probably not endorsed by the Admech.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Then you have the Excoriators who apparently are so OCD about their armor that they catalog every single nick in the paint, viewing them as an honor tribute to Dorn.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I just finished Baneblade by Guy Haley and I have to say that it was pretty good and kept my interest the whole way through. There weren't even any horrible point of view breaks like how a lot of crappier writers have.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I am currently reading Death of Integrity and I have to say that I am really enjoying Guy Haley's writing style. So far he has turned the Novamarines from a chapter that I didn't really care much about to a chapter that has some pretty awesome flavor to it. I do agree though that the two companion short stories to Baneblade, though well written, were kind of forgettable.

In sort of not really BL news though, if you haven't read Abnett's non 40k book, Embedded, it is actually pretty good. There are some parts that are a bit odd, and it has a typical Abnett "everything falls into place almost immediately" ending, but it was definitely enjoyable.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I just thought that the single sentence that shows that it is an alternative timeline where the USSR got to the moon first was pretty interesting.

As for Death of Integrity, I take back what I said about liking the Novamarines. They are well written in the book so far, but the main characters constant love of the Codex and every chapter needing to adhere to the codex makes me kind of hope he gets killed by a genestealer. That being said, it is in character with them being an Ultramarines successor. It works well though because so far they seem to be contrasting very nicely with the Blood Drinkers chapter.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Mr.48 posted:

The USSR did get to the moon first, just with unmanned probes instead of a human being. They were also the first to bring any samples back from the moon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_landing#Unmanned_landings

Should have specified. First manned moon expedition. The nice part was that he didn't just come out and say "look, this is different and why the Soviet Bloc still exists," instead he just off-handidly mentions the first man on the moon and it is a Russian sounding name and it is a few years after our moon landing.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I just got done with "Know No Fear" and I have to say it turned me around on the Ultramarines. Abnett did a great job of making them actually interesting.

The only thing that was off to me was at one point one of the marines uses the phrase "Throne Knows" which doesn't really make much sense since I don't even think the throne was fully constructed at that point, and even if it was, it isn't really relevant enough to merit that phrase.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Uroboros posted:

Doesn't hurt that Gulliman doesn't come off as stupidly overpowered as the other Primarchs, and almost has died twice to non-primarchs. You get into his thought process and why he does what he does as opposed to the others who are always insufferably mysterious about how they always seem to know what's going on around them.

I definitely agree with that. Someof the things the Primarchs have done in other stories just makes them seems kinda silly at times. So far, Guiliman is actually the Primarch that I like the most, which is pretty surprising to me because I never really found him, or the Ultramarines, to be interesting before, but between their depiction in Know No Fear, and their depiction in Betrayer, they have definitely been shown to be a really cool legion. (Hell yeah shield walls)

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Out of all of the audiobooks that I have listened to as I type in numbers at work, Betrayer was my favorite. It was partly the writing, and partly the reading, but it really worked well. (Minus Magnus's voice, which was a bit nasely) By contrast, I am currently listening to A Thousand Suns, and the audio quality just isn't as good.

That leads me to my question. Am I missing something, or is it just a lapse of judgement on the author's part, but was the Golden Throne a thing before the Emperor even left the Great Crusade? I ask because in "Know no Fear," one of the marines uses the phrase "throne knows..." and in "A Thousand Suns" lots of characters are invoking the Golden Throne despite the fact that the book establishes that the Emperor has just started the battle against the Orks and hasn't even left the crusade yet.

Finally, am I allowed to ask questions in regard to trying to flesh out the lore of a homebrew chapter in this thread so I can see if it would be lore friendly/not insanely stupid of an idea?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Oh, well that makes sense then.

Anyway, I want you guys to let me know if this concept sounds stupid or doesn't make sense.

My chapter is the Cathartes Aura chapter(Scientific name for Turkey Vulture. Also Cathartes, which is the family that Vultures belong to, also means purifier). They are an Ultramarines successor chapter and are Codex compliant, but unlike most chapters, actively add to the Codex as new tactics are created, and new foes are discovered, mimicking and continuing Guiliman's ritual of compiling and writing tactical doctrine. This allows them to adapt and learn from fighting threats that don't follow conventions that have counters in the Codex, such as Tyranids.

The other ritual that breaks from the Codex is how they indoctrinate initiates, as well as how they view death. Marines are required to keep as accurate a record of their activities as possible. (I haven't fully fleshed out how they do this yet.) Anyway, when a marine is killed and his progenoid glands are extracted, one is used as the tithe, but the other is implanted into an initiate as usual. The difference comes during the initiate's psychohypnotic indoctrination. During this process, the previous owner of the gland's data records are used as part of the indoctrination, essentially partially erasing the identity of the initiate and replacing it with the thoughts, memories, and identity of all of the marines that had that gland before the initiate. Upon the completion of initiation and indoctrination, the former initiate is viewed and interacted with as if he were the previous marine as if they were just reborn into the body of the initate. As such, the only death that the chapter views as a death is if the progenoid glands are unrecoverable, which is viewed as a great tragedy.

Edit: Just for clarification, they do not maintain the same rank as their predecessor, and they won't be a 100% exact copy of their predecessor either.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Yes, that is a good comparison, only not an actual gestalt of the previous souls of the predecessors like the exarch.