Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
So how are the Warhammer: fantasy novels. I was at a used book store and i found a copy of the Blackhearts Omnibus, and its pretty good so far. any suggestions for more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

berzerkmonkey posted:

Fantasy tends to be a lot less specific in its theme, so some of it can be pretty generic. Gotrek and Felix are not bad, as long as you don't mind pulpy stuff. The Mathias Thulmann: Witch Hunter series is good, though I haven't got around to reading the third book yet. Fell Cargo is an old Abnett book and is pretty good. If you enjoy Blood Bowl and bad puns, Matt Forbeck's BB series is ok for the first couple of books, but becomes a bit of a slog in the third book.

yeah, that's what i am noticing, warhammer fantasy is feels like generic fantasy stuff, with some dark humor tossed in once and while.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sulecrist posted:

Mine came in the mail last week but I was still working on The First Heretic. Finished that last night, so I'm starting the omnibus tonight. Very excited.

Other than Betrayer and First Heretic, what good books is Argel Tal in?

i like betrayer alot more then i thought i would. Angron is an interesting, if hosed up character and i almost started feeling bad for him because of how broken he was. I need to pick up first heretic because i always liked logar and now i need to get the night lords omnibus.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Honestly, creation of CSM seems alot like orcs from LOTR to me. Once pure creatures turned into broken, corrupted and often ageless monsters who do nothing but kill and scheme.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Magnus attacked Fenris, Perturabo was part of the 10th Black Crusade, Mortarion hosed over an Ork Waaaagh, and Lorgar supplied demonic rituals and dark lore to Abaddon for the 13th Crusade. Recent authors have been trying to get the daemon primarchs more active.

whats Mortarion deal? i know he is nurgle's boy and got his poo poo pushed by a gary stu. but whats his whole story?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I have been reading First Heretic and i like it alot, I am surprised how empathetic logar turns out to be. In the end all he is looking for is for something, anything, to believe in. For a pulpy sci-fi book, he is a surprisingly well written religious character. then again this is from the same author who made me feel sorry for giant man named angron who popped a pulped a woman's head as she pissed herself then proceeded to murder a joffery and then an their entire planet because he had poo poo drilling into his brains.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I think an inquisitor action rpg (like mass effect) would be good. if you were Inquisition you could pick your ordo,(which would determine your mission, stats, lore knowledge.) maybe have a "morality system" of Radicals and Puritans. shoot orks, nids, lots of chaos cults. give the development to obsidian.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I am thinking of picking up the bastion wars omnibus. Is it any good? also i bought the empire omnibus(warhammer) and The Death of Integrity from amazon. i heard decent things about integrity and i have read a few of the warhammer fantasy novels and wanted to try more.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Zephyrine posted:

Currently working my way through "The Unremembered Empire"

Guilliman is growing on me.

Edit: This makes Perturabo my second favourite Primarch after Lorgar

HAHAHA, he really is a Goon.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

SRM posted:

CL Werner also wrote Siege of Castellax, the only hams book so bad I had to put it down after 100 pages. I left it on a table at my game club and hopefully some poor sod picked it up, started reading, and then did the right thing and burned it.

that book had a few moments but it was boringly grimdark for me. same with any of the flesh tearers drek. I have only seen the "rip and tear" poo poo done well few times and that was with angron and kharn.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

so are any of these 30K books good? as in these ones they are making about the super ork invasion.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

The first two Beast Arises books, Ahriman Unchanged, and Flesh Tearers are the ones I know of. Greataval said five but I don't know what the fifth one was

yeah, but flesh tearers are the worst chapter of space marienes. they are just the EDGE marines.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Waroduce posted:

Have we had any progress in poo poo since the Rock is parked above Fenris and the wolves and dark angels eyeing each other

So i am sure this has been asked before, but are the dark angels the actual "good ones" Like i know lion and Luther fought it out and now Luther is insane in dungeon and lion is in stasis. I have heard some people say that lions and Luther were both chaos. or some poo poo. I know that the dark angels secret objective is to kill and or convert any of the survinving fallen. whats the story with all of that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Klaus88 posted:

Yeah, but that was an older novel. Written by Gav Thorpe. :barf:

They spend half the novel jerking off the fallen and the other half murdering eldar.

I thought it was pretty :medicore: but the idea of El'Johnson sitting on the sidelines waiting to see which side to support is a neat one.

why is thorpe so bad. I know their are maybe like 3-4 good BL authors but why is he poo poo if i may ask?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

The Luther was the good guy theory was, I believe, an invention of the aforementioned (poo poo) Gav Thorpe book. I think they are more than interesting enough as a loyalist faction operating with their own agenda (which is how they were in their first codex), without the rather trite Shyamalan twist.

And Thorpe is poo poo because he is bad at plot, prose, characters, motivation, world building, and everything else. He is the epitome of a licensed tie-in hack.

ok. Yeah. your theory makes more sense and is better. I like the idea of the chapter left on planet split apart into like a ton of factiosn. some still loyal other totaly chaos and other in between.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Every Ciaphas Cain book takes that from the perspective of the officer who breaks, runs, and accidentally trips on the actual major threat which then goes on to save the city from the siege but destroys the planet.

I always took cain as someone who isn't a full coward/narcissist but is very self-effacing/self depricating person who just wants to live in queit place, but does the best he can when danger happens. as much as he pretends not too, he does care about his men and jurgen. the author says its open to interpratation. so who knows. I always liked the cain books even if they do get samey.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

MMAgCh posted:

Meanwhile I tell myself, "you should probably read one or two of those Ciaphas Cain novels," and go to the BL website, and discover that the omnibus editions still are available as actual printed books only, and that buying the individual eBooks separately would easily be twice as expensive as those print omnibuses, and so in the end I'm like

and don't buy anything at all because god drat it BL. :orks:

just search used book stores/bookstores in general. i found both omnibuses for 10 bucks in all.

Angry Lobster posted:

I love how Cain keeps undervaluing, for example, he's like 2 meters tall, he sparred with a space marine librarian and he complimented his sword skills, killed a chaos lord in single combat and the inquisitor says that Cain is one of the best swordsmen she's ever met and he keeps thinking he's nothing especial. Cain is just too humble. Of course, Jurgen's the true hero there.

this.

also i need to read flashman, the books cain is based off of. how are they?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The Rat posted:

I learned everything I know about 19th century British history from Flashman.

It's a great series and I really enjoyed the hell out of it.

yeah. I looked up the series and i am probably gonna order a few of them. I love 19th century history(the hosed up mix of progress/industry and imperialism/bigotry/hosed up ideals and most of it still affecting today.) should i read them in order or just get the first then some random ones.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The Flashman series is great, George MacDonald Fraser was a better writer than anyone at BL by several orders of magnitude. Flashman is not a good dude with a self-interested streak like Cain though, he's a cynical, manipulative sociopath.

yeah thats the impression i got. before i looked it up. i assumed it was like a hosed up blackadder version of Flash Gordon or other weird retro space stuff.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

how many of the space marine battle books are good? other then armageddon duo?

I read the iron warriors one where they are on helghan with the not helghast and the orks show up and its dumb but amusing and grimdark.

i tried reading the genestealers one but it sucked.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Shockeh posted:

Isn't it more that The Inquisition is just as widely varied as the Imperium it protects oppresses *BLAM* saves and therefore you see just as much variety in the Inquisitors themselves. You get everything from 'a practical child with a stubber' through to Inquisitor Fyodor Karamazov literally riding an automated, walking judgement throne around.

We're told time & time again in various books that Inquisitors vary hugely in their methods and approach, and some of them even actively prey on the expectations of what the Inquisition is like to get their way - The one unifying fact about them is they have functionally unlimited power, everything else is YMMV.

isnt that the entire point of amberley vail. she is all cheery and happy and kinda whimsical and has a relationship with cain at times.

So i got my GF into warhammer and she LOVES the Skaven. what books have them in it alot.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Buy her Vermintide on Steam and play together, man thing.

she has a bigger potato of computer then I do. and no new gen consoles.

VanSandman posted:

Has she read the Thanquol series or Skavenslayer?

she read skaven slayer. I lent her my gotrek and felix omnibus. I need to find the thanquol series, but all the books are super expensive now and i dont have a kindle. in fact all of the skaven novels except for rise of HR are expensive.

She is basically into them because she read/still reads/loves the redwall books and it reminds her of those.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

berzerkmonkey posted:

I think you're gong to have a hard time finding anyone on SA who has read those. AoS is a pretty big source of frustration and anger here, and for a lot of old WFB players in general. That being said, BL books are usually only as good as their author, so something written by one of their better authors might be alright (if it didn't have the whole AoS thing hanging over its head.) If you want to know more about AoS consult your local library or 1d4 Chan.

yeah i just looked it on on 1d4. holy gently caress, why did they do that. its so dumb and bad.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

They spent all their money replacing the Space Marine statue in front of HQ with a Stormcast Eternal.

yeah, havent they been bleeding money for a few years now. if it wernt for the novels(well some of them) and video games they would be hosed.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Apparently they aren't. That 1D4Chan page also says that Age of Sigmar amounts to 35% of all Games Workshop sales now, compared to 5% that Fantasy Battles comprised. However, that source also doesn't say whether or not 40K sales are down which would explain why AOS makes up a third of their revenue.

I just dont get why they cant find good devs or at least make better games. sure there are some great ones. but it seems like you could get a good studio like CD projects or obsidion or hell even bioware and make a good action rpg with a big budget. I mean Vermintide was great and deathwing looks good and that inquester diablo thing may be ok. not mention dawn of war, total warhammer and space marine. but all the do are cheap phone games.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Elmnt80 posted:

I actually liked the charchterization they gave him. He is another one of those cases where he probably would have excelled and never turned to chaos if allowed to be something other than a warrior. He kinda has some neat da vinci vibe going on, except he never gets to express it and turns into the bitter, resentful dick that the rest of the universe knows him as.

Edit: Though my opinion may be bad, since I seem to be one of the few that do like him.

isnt that the case of most of the chaos turned primarchs. except for angron and kurze.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

So... uh...

I just saw an ad for this on tv :psyduck:

ah gently caress me. no US delivery. i should have expected as much :(

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/9/9/a-new-path-forward/

From the Dawn of War III thread. Games Workshop has cut ties with Fantasy Flight Games.

is that bad or good.

also at least some decent looking warhammer games are finally coming. inquesitor looks fun(i like the vanhelsing games) and corsair looks like Black flag but better.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Looking at the cover for Nightbringer, can I not into perspective, or is literally everything wrong with this guy's anatomy?

he looks weirdly Bishōnen, like he is too unmarked to be a space marine(outside the emperors children)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Wax Dynasty posted:

You have chosen

FWIW (not much), here's my ranking of the chapter-specific books series:

Great: Night Lords
Good: Space Wolves (old & new), Iron Warriors (which is really just one book Storm of Iron)
OK: Ultramarines (a mixed bag), Word Bearers
Bad: Soul Drinkers
Terrible: Salamanders, Blood Angels, Grey Knights (just read Emperor's Gift instead)

i always see iron warriors and word bearers in stores and amazon for cheaps. what did you think of them specificaly.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

2 questions.

1. how are the thanquol books and the witch hunter books.
2. what was the one essay on 1d4chan written about how chaos works and why someone would convert to it? i think it was done by ADB or another of the good authors for fun. but i cant find it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Angry Lobster posted:

Yep, now it's time for the good stuff, go and read The First Heretic/Aurelian/Know no Fear/Betrayer.

yeah. pretty much anything with alot of lorgar is great.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

The Emperor is such a dick He probably would've just ordered the less civilized chapter to stop making new Marines, and let them slowly die out fighting Ork flareups and Eldar incursions.

loving this. if everything had gone peechy keen, the world eaters and the night lords were gonna "taken care of" at some point. lorgar too would probably been put out to pasture if he kept on with his jackassery. the rest probably would done ok if chaos didn't intervene.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

MMAgCh posted:

In a certain sense the Primarchs were just the Emperor's guinea pigs anyway.

this. I am honestly curious what his end game was gonna be. i mean i get what he says he wanted. a super awsome human secular universe where peace and order reign and my philosopher warriors keep guard. but clearly that was hosed from the beginning. i assume he was gonna despose of the gently caress ups and keep the others in line.

Fearless posted:

This is one of the most cogent descriptions of why 40k is so awesome that I have ever read.

this. it really really is.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

SRM posted:

CL Werner

yeah i read the iron warriors one. its bad in ton of ways apart from a few interesting deaths.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

so my gf is awesome and got me the entire warhammer comics collection for my birthday. they are pretty great.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

oooh new meat for the liberal tears thread. but seriously can't even save animals for real and proberly and half the time just make poo poo up about stuff. so are they just going after easy targets now because its a "woke" thing to do? because i have seen some online feminists go after 40k once or twice, buts its surprisingly not under attack by various culture war people.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Vadoc posted:

And Cypher is back in plastic.

well poo poo. i guess they are going to push it forward again. surprised that its gulliman but not really.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

SRM posted:

The Ultramarines omnibus is... sometimes okay. Dead Sky, Black Sun should have just been retitled "Graham McNeill really doesn't like women much" but the other books are at least readable. They're pretty stamdard bolter porn, both books you picked up blow it out of the water

is that the one where the native women are turned into loving super incubators/wombs for big dumb monsters.

SRM posted:

gently caress you for making me verify my memory of this poo poo book but here goes:

The Iron Warriors keep breeding stock, which are just mutated, chained up women called the daemonculaba. They implant teenagers inside them through a reverse C-section, stitch them shut, and then force feed the women a nutrient slurry (ground up failed Marines) until they get grotesquely huge and then the fully-formed Marine bursts out of them, without any skin. Some go nuts and are called the "Unfleshed" and they flush them down the toilet where they run around Medrengard in crazy skinless barbarian groups, the rest become Iron Warriors.

It's like half a dozen DeviantArt fetishes all stacked on top of each other and it really makes me curious what Graham McNeill's relationship with his mother is like.

that was it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

Wait, what the gently caress?

I liked the way the Space Marine videogame handled women characters - the leader of the Imperial Guard regiment is a woman, and she’s depicted as being competent, not sexualized, not a damsel in distress, and really at no point does the game call attention to her gender or turn her into an overcompensating tomboy with a chip on her shoulder or something. She’s just there to get poo poo done.

When I decided I wanted to build an Imperial Knight model because I thought they looked cool, I bought one of the older codexes just so I had an idea of what Knights were all about. I rolled my eyes a little bit when the codex said there are no female Knight pilots, so for my Knight’s headcanon backstory I decided to make the pilot a woman just to give the codex the finger.

And then I learned that Dawn of War 3 had beaten me to the punch with Lady Solaria. :v:

Anyway here’s my (almost complete) Knight, I like how it’s turned out. :shobon:

new cano star wars is basically doing that. they have made the empire accepting of pretty much anyone as long as they are human(gently caress aliens is still an imperial thing) female or LGBT doesn't matter as long as you can do the job(dying in mass for some old evil gently caress) like female stormtroopers are a thing and its normal. in the battlefront 2 game(multiplayer and especialy campaign) you hear female storm troopers a bunch. its cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

berzerkmonkey posted:

I was just saying that it was a source - I think a lot of these asshats parrot what they read because it fits within their bullshit pro-Trump headspace. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a group of Russians targeting gaming forums to promote this crap.

They do. The women are all of hardy Cadian stock, and, in flak vests, look the same as guys in flak vests.

In seriousness though, I'm not sure what you're going to get - everyone has a helmet on (as you would do in a combat environment) and people flip their poo poo about boob armor, so how would you make a female guardsman (using the current design?) Slightly shorter? A little skinnier?

is boob armor honestly still a thing anymore? i thing a bunch of mainstream scifi/fantasy dropped that stuff a couple years ago.