Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Biplane posted:

Regiments of 2000 guys totally makes sense in a planetary invasion context, don't worry about it.

Even the better writers do this, I was rereading a Ravenor book the other day and I got to a point where something very bad happens to a whole hive city, the next line is "Thousands died."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

This scene should be more like Billions. I mean he could have said "Dozens died", and that would be technically correct too, but still jarring.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think Titan has explicitly been removed not just from its orbit, but the entire physical universe in 40k. I think it's literally parked in the warp, presumably as a 'gently caress you' to Chaos.

Nah that happened during the Horus Heresy, it's back out now, it was done to protect the moon and slow down time locally while the Grey Knights were built into the full chapter.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

I mean it's not beyond the Imperium's power. Didn't they somehow move the entire solar system closer to galactic central to better serve as the capital? Not to mention how they quietly relocated Ullanor and renamed it Armageddon.

It is beyond them when the guy who did it didn't just die, but had his soul utterly consumed by the Golden Throne (Malcador). I mean the entire point of the Imperium is they've declined and can't do the things they used to do.

The Mechanicum didn't want to destroy Ullanor like the Imperium wanted, so they used the Ork Tellyporta stuff to move it and apparently learn the Ork tech secrets, and covered it all up. They didn't actually figure any of the tech out, they just made more problems for the Imperium, because the Orks are still drawn to their homeworld.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 14, 2020

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Ardent Communist posted:

drat, maybe Alpharius actually was the planned replacement for the emperor, cause that poo poo seems confusing for confusing sake.

Alpharius was always the decoy, and he took that role to the conclusion, Omegon is now free to do things like help Eisenhorn mess with Lorgar and Fulgrim. Omegon wasn't even scattered IIRC, he was always working with the Emperor as his secret card.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

It's just speculation yes, here's some crazier speculation: Teke mentions Fulgrim being directly invested in the events of Pariah, and in 30k Lorgar is involved in some foreshadowing about becoming the "amber regent".

At that point the appearance of an Alpha Legionnaire seems pretty suspicious to me, especially when Abnett wrote the book on Alpha Legion in terms of how we see them these days.

I'm probably wrong, but Abnett mentioned having to get special permission to gently caress with important characters in the next book in the series (Penitent), characters that he didn't create, so there's definitely something big happening in that weird clusterfuck in Pariah.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

wiegieman posted:

Just getting your hands on Enuncia wielded by a stable, powerful Pariah like Beta is a big deal, and what's happening is like 4 or 5 separate Big Schemes all crashing into each other at top speed. And also Ravenor is having none of that and has come to kill everybody.

Even if I'm most definitely wrong about the details, those seperate Big Dipshit Schemes are all pointing towards something important, maybe it'll be disappointing in the end, perhaps that's why the next book is taking so long. It's still fun to think about what the schemes could be though imo.

Ravenor has chased Eisenhorn to a planet where:

They have hundreds of years of weird heretical history about producing "good demons"
The Cognitae are in a seat of power, where they are acting like a shadow Inquisition
A corrupted local Ecclesiarchy is working alongside Word Bearers to study Enuncia
The Glaw family are helping the Emperor's Children oppose the Word Bearers
Eisenhorn has been here for 2 decades and is working with Alpha Legion

Without even touching on whatever's going on with the Yellow King, I wonder if Ravenor will end up calling for Exterminatus. Both Eisenhorn and Ravenor seem to make a point of not using their authority so openly, and it would result in boring stories if they just did an Exterminatus to end them. But this could be like a tragic ending for the pair.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Relevant Tangent posted:

I like Enuncia, it's easy to make canon and I really enjoyed the reveal on what they were doing with the Chaos-tainted computers. Also it's kind of like Enochian and it makes sense to me that there would be a universal ur-language that directly interfaces with Chaos because Chaos is everywhere. I also liked that guy who discovered the cursed equations.

I like it too, I think the main problem with it is that it doesn't interface well with the rest of the 40k universe, but that could be fixed with some books that tie it into the greater whole.

There's a lot of other "Abnett-verse" ( I don't mean that in a bad way like some people do) stuff that has become not just arbitrary canon, but a part of the consensus of 40k, in that other writers use it seamlessly, and it's part of how we all visualise the setting. Enuncia still kinda stands apart as his own special baby.

There were some good ideas earlier in the thread about how Enuncia could just be another demonic deception.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 22, 2020

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Dog_Meat posted:

I remember it from the Ravenor omnibus but couldn't tell you if it was one of the main 3 stories or a short story. I seem to remember it being part of the overall plot and Patience goes under cover as a (horrible, horrible, grimdark) office worker to find out what is going on.

Yeah Harlon Nayl tells Ravenor about how the idea of doing another day of that office work scares him way more than fighting the Inquisition's enemies. :unsmith:

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I finished Master of Mankind. I feel like before I started the novel, I was in the dark as to exactly how much foresight the Emperor had, that maybe he predicted the Horus Heresy and even the dreadful state of humanity 10,000 years later is part of his grand plan. After reading it, though, it seems pretty unambiguous that the Emperor has failed in his plan to protect humanity from Chaos. He said himself that the Imperium's fall is inevitable, even if it manages to survive for a time.

Does any of the later lore contradict this or change that perspective?

Belisarius Cawl perhaps, some of the newer lore is less grimdark due to him and Roboute. He has spent 10k years refining the Emperor's rushed work and now surpassed him in some areas of knowledge like making better Astartes, though he can't store all of it in his hosed up head at the same time. If he can get a lot more Blackstone and figure out more Necron tech, the Webway project will look unnecessary and quaint.

Cawl has weird memories/visions/timey-wimey stuff where the Emperor from the past, still alive, is telling him he must do something very important in the future, and it will be considered heretical, but he should do it anyway.

Obviously this won't actually happen in the lore, at least successfully but it's kinda dangled as another "shining path".

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Aug 5, 2020

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Roboute talks publicly (like to civilians) about Mortarion being his brother after he wakes up, and Ultramar fought against Nurgle for 100 years or some poo poo. Knowledge of Chaos will depend on where you are, most of the Imperium population probably doesn't know what the Imperium even is, but plenty of people will have that knowledge especially in the more rational places.

The Grey Knights poo poo has always seemed dumb to me. They had IG from Armageddon, who were now battle-hardened veterans against Chaos, and had helped them defeat Angron. That's such an asset, at worst they could have purged anyone suspected of taint or future taint, and kept the rest as a Inquisition Stormtrooper detachment that isn't allowed to go back to their old lives or talk to civilians. Or they could have sent all of them on a suicide mission with some kind of strategic value. Instead they just open fire on the IG ships in front of the Space Wolves who kill their Grand Master and like 100 irreplaceable snowflake Grey Knights.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

There's plenty new lore that meshes with that weird old stuff though, i.e in a newer book a C'tan alludes to humans being made by old ones but being unfinished, Trazyn has a Krork in his collection (an Ork bigger than The Beast and wearing power armor more advanced than Fabius Biles), the Eldar manipulation of Tau and their meddling with Ethereal DNA to give them mind control powers has sort of popped up in newer Tau books, etc.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 17, 2020

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Kaal posted:

I believe it's established that Khorne, Nurgle, and Tzeentch were all born during the European medieval ages, with each emergence heralding another catastrophe for Britain (the Norman Invasion, the Black Death, and the War of the Roses). Whether this was a coincidence or a reflection of English terribleness, is unknown. But it is apparent that these Marmite-flavored Chaos Gods had difficulty propagating, and it took the fall of the Eldar / French for Slaanesh to be born and teach her brethren how to make little khornites, nurglings, and tzeentches. If it weren't for them, the warp would probably be filled with bad food and croquet.

No this has long been 100% nuked into retcon hell.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 17, 2020

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Tyranny reminded me a little of an Inquisitor game, though it was an unfinished cliffhanger and then made a loss saleswise so no sequel RIP.

You played a "Fatebinder" who was someone given authority to be judge, jury, and executioner, on behalf of a weird godlike being and his despotic empire. On the way you recruit a bunch of weirdos with talents that will be useful to your mission of putting down a rebellion.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm almost done with Anarch and the sequence in the undercroft was the best example of creeping, smothering, claustrophobic horror I have ever read. I couldn't stop reading because I wanted to get out of there.

There's a scene in the latest Joe Abercrombie book where 2 characters have an organised duel to the death and it's just like, unbearably tense, such a weird feeling, when it's a book that your eyes and brain are making up however you want.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

It would be quite fitting really, the series started with Horus' fall squished right into the start, Abnett could write the entire Vengeful Spirit showdown to be two paragraphs on the last page.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Azubah posted:

The Night Lords come to mind.

The Lost and the Damned by Guy Haley posted:

Panic gripped Skraivok’s gut. The blade was heavy. It would not respond as it had. Where before it accentuated his skills, lending him greater speed and strength, now it did nothing. Raldoron pressed his attack, battering at Skraivok with a flurry of blows that he could barely deflect.

The daemon had deserted him.

‘No,’ said Skraivok. ‘It cannot be!’

Raldoron’s power sword banged against the edge of Skraivok’s blade, sending him stumbling backwards. He was so fast. Skraivok was a Space Marine captain, and more than a passable swordsman, but Raldoron was a hero of the Imperium whose name was known across the galaxy.

‘Night Lords! Help me!’ His power pack scraped on rockcrete. He had his back to the outer crenellations, and could retreat no further.

If they heard, they could do nothing; they fought the Blood Angels Dreadnought still, their number reduced to three.

Raldoron faced him. His sword energy field buzzed in the downpour.

‘Listen to you,’ Raldoron said. ‘The masters of fear. You are cowards, like all cruel men.’

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I think it was in Dawn of War 1 with the Force Commander who had the morale broken line: "Initiate a tactical withrawal!"

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Media Bloodbath posted:

There's a theory about that. I forgot the details but I'm sure someone will repost it.

I think that's two separate things. When it happens in the early books, that just seems to be continuity errors, but then when it happens in The Magos, Eisenhorn has been through the same thing as this guy and also has purple eyes:

"Sark should have died the first time he tried to harness the Loom. He certainly shouldn't have been able to survive the many weavings he had conducted. But then, Gobleka was certain that the process had altered Sark in fundamental ways. Sark had ceased to be remotely human a long time ago.

What did that make him? A god? A daemon? A eudaemonic spirit? Gobleka was sometimes convinced that Sark's soul had burned out years before, and something else, some etheric sentience, had taken up residence inside him, wearing Sark's flesh like a borrowed coat. During the brief moments he became lucid, Sark always begged to be let out of the cage. Gobleka wasn't sure it was Sark talking. It wasn't the magos pleading to be let out of the metal cage, it was the thing inside him whining to be let out of the coat of flesh it was clothed in."

Alternatively, those weren't continuity errors and Abnett was setting some stuff up. Or maybe Locke was full of poo poo, and Eisenhorn's face is just like that anyway.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 9, 2020

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Horus "ages" when he steps into the warp on Molech too. He spent aeons fighting in the warp to consolidate his power and gain dominion over many demons etc. but in realspace he comes back out in a few seconds looking older. I always felt like their warp juiced (Greater Daemon?) souls are the immortal part, and their bodies are imperfect vessels that will degrade, just on a much larger timescale than even Astartes, like, orders of magnitude more.

Corax has figured out a lot about himself, and Primarchs in general, and it's why he is...what he is. The human(ish) body made by his father was unnecessary, and if anything, a hindrance, serving only to anchor him in realspace and let him pass as vaguely almost human.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 15, 2020

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Bring back Ferrus Manus as a bunch of flying Hands, that can merge into one giant Hand for their special move.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

MariusLecter posted:

Apparently there is no way to get the metal hat on the Master Hand but that's what it would be yeah?

Yeah but more Metalocalypse than Nintendo.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

"read the best things in the series first!" I mean that's wise but like, I do have this idiot aspiration to read the whole thing and I don't want to run directly to the best stuff, that would leave me nothing to look forward to!

I know this is the Warhammer thread and we all read Warhammer but, come on, think of the opportunity cost, all the actually good books you could read instead (literally 50+). I promise you, you're going to end up reading far worse books than Galaxy In Flames.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Sep 16, 2020

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

Heard so much about how the World Eaters are brutal and un-subtle but doesn't seem like the Space Wolves ar any better. It seems like Magnus' fall to Chaos will be prompted by a stupid, cruel but "loyal" Primarch.

Pretty much all the Legions are mirrored in that way with a couple of the others, and with slightly different circumstances you'd have a whole different heresy. Lion could have been the fallen Warmaster, Sanguinius could have fallen to Khorne or Slaanesh, Perturabo could have been the one building and defending Terra, it's coinflips all the way down.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

If you just believe the Warp is harmless, it is?

Don't put too much stock into the "power of belief" poo poo, it's really exaggerated in this thread, it's more of a meme than anything else. This goes for Orks too, sorry. A red one will go faster, but just painting a giant herd animal turd red won't turn it into a vehicle.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Magnus directly made pacts with warp entities who fooled him and took from him. The Space Wolves through their rituals, basically turn up to the timeshare presentation, get their free gift, and then leave without signing any papers.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Belief isn't really what matters to the warp, it's emotion of sentient beings. That belief can guide emotion, but it's not the primary thing. They all have positive emotions associated with them as well, even noble warriors feed Khorne by default. A landscape gardener could be feeding Slaanesh and Nurgle. A scientist feeding Tzeentch.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

But while I've never seen actual sources for this, wasn't the Emp's entire justification for hiding the truth of Chaos and having the Warp explained in perfectly mundane terms part of the "belief" agenda? That's what I've always read online. If enough people believed he Warp was just some energy field as opposed to the home of dark gods, it would weaken them.

It's hinted at a bit that the heresy we see is an iteration where the damage was "minimised":

Immanentized posted:

It's kind of a moot point because BIG SPOILERS

I'm not spoiling it because it's almost 10 years old at this point, but the plan always was for a rebellion among the primarchs and the astartes legions, the only thing that WASN'T planned for was the chaotic influence that cranked things up to 11. Read further into A Thousand Sons and watch how Magnus is true to his word until a truly "OH HOLY poo poo" moment causes him to do absolutely everything wrong, but in a super humanizing way.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

a lovely king posted:

I've said this a few times I think but I do think that Ravenor would make a better TV series than the first Eisenhorn novel. It's setpiece fights are much smaller scale but all kookier and have that 40k charm to them, whereas Xenos ends with a full on death of a planet, massive battle type thing that I'm not convinced will have nearly the same impact scaled down or with the kind of CGI the first season of any show can afford (I.e bad).

Mark Strong has already voiced Eisenhorn for that crap game so imagine if he comes back for the TV show that's in pre-production.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm not super well-steeped in the Heresy-era stuff who who does he mean?

Sanginius is always "the best among us" and all that, but also *gestures at The Thirst*

Alpharius: Head of the Hydra spoilers

I can see why it would be the Lion, and that was my first choice, but the new Alpha Legion books make me think it's Alpharius. Not the one that fought Dorn, that was Omegon. I mean the one that called himself Omegon, the actual Alpharius. Newer lore implies:

Alpharius was almost instantly found after the Primarchs were scattered, way before Horus.

He has been the Emperor's favourite boy the entire time, and favoured by a lot.

He was secretly at the finding of almost every Primarch, and at the founding of every legion, and actually infiltrated all of them to a high rank(some of your favourite dudes in the other legions were just Alpharius the whole time)

He was allowed unlimited authority with no oversight, even from the Emperor, towards one goal; ensure the survival of the Imperium, whatever the cost.

I think Alpharius had a level of trust from the Emperor that no other Primarch came close to.

I'm biased though since I'm hoping he's Deathrow in Pariah, or at least somehow involved in stopping the Yellow King and the Word Bearers getting Enuncia. :tinfoil:

I'm almost definitely wrong, but I've had a lot of time to come up with stupid theories because of the gap between Pariah and Penitent. Thankfully it's out in like 5 weeks.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 28, 2021

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

D-Pad posted:

I'm assuming it's Alpharius spoilers, which is pretty lovely to post without tags. None of that is in the lore anywhere else as far as I know...

Yeah it's from Head of the Hydra, sorry, edited the post now.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I got a kick out of Eisenhorn using the word "heretic" in the Keeler Image short story:

The notes showed that the Emperor wanted it proscribed and forbidden.

They showed that the Emperor did not believe himself to be a god. Keeler and her companion saints had created the foundation of Imperial faith against the Emperor’s express wishes.

That was a different kind of heresy, and I wasn’t sure if the heretic was Keeler or, somehow, the Emperor himself.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

D-Pad posted:

Speaking of Lorgar...I'm not sure I believe it, but I really like this theory:

https://www.reddit.com/r/40kLore/comments/kpwd6l/the_option_3_heresy_conspiracy_theory_for_the/

It's a decent theory, I think some parts of it will turn out to be real and we will see this tied together in the Vengeful Spirit showdown, the Dark Imperium books, and also Eisenhorn who finds Chekov's Keeler Image in 40k and then ends up working with Alpha Legion. Abnett had to get special permission for something "big" he is writing into Penitent.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Even if that theory is mostly wrong, I'll be really surprised if Lorgar, Fulgrim, and Alpharius/Omegon aren't brought back soon as the next returning Primarchs. Oh and then Corax.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

D-Pad posted:

No Alpharius spoilers. It just talks about what is already known as far as maybe Omegon is loyal. Nothing new from the new book.

BL has said several times that there is something about the end of the heresy that we don't know about and is significantly different than the existing lore. So I expect a twist of some kind. If that theory is true I bet it means Lorgar is the one who lowers the shields.

Yup and Abnett will probably be writing that conclusion on the Vengeful Spirit, which is why I think that Lorgar/Omegon theory you linked ties in to Pariah and the upcoming Penitent. Would also explain in Pariah the part with Teke saying that Fulgrim is trying to find and take down "The Yellow King".

Would also explain why it got delayed so much.

aphid_licker posted:

Kinda hope that they don't bring back any more primarchs

Oh they're coming, a few of them are in the foreshadowing stages.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Considering Magnus and Mortarion are running around, Angron's always been trying to manifest, Perturabo's still building poo poo somewhere, Fulgrim was seen in his snake form by the Eldar in the 42nd millenium, and Lorgar's return is being foreshadowed, the loyalists could definitely use some more Primarchs. The Lion will probably wake up. Corax is chasing Lorgar. Vulkan or Leman Russ could return. Omegon's been in there somewhere the entire time but who knows what he's actually doing.

It's got it's downsides but imo it's better than always being in 40999.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 1, 2021

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Immanentized posted:

Lion's been up and about, but just kind of hanging in the Rock since 8th edition, hasn't he? I know Luther disappeared too.

I think he was said to have "healed" now but still be asleep, I don't remember though.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

A really next-level moment would be him and Corax swapping places; Corax is corrupted from his years in the Eye and his single-minded pursuit of vengeance on Lorgar. One primarch falls, one rises.

This is all speculation but it's a neat idea.

I love it, it would also be very tragic if a re-loyalist Lorgar is hindered by a fallen or even renegade Corax.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

What if the 2 missing Primarchs landed on an Ork planet, and their names were Gork and Mork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I really want that Eisenhorn set, if you're listening Slaanesh, you have an easy sale, name your price.