Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I decided to take a break from my Dune audiobooks after God-Emperor and go for something that was a little bit more pulp fun and significantly less horny. That audiobook ended up being 'The Infinite and the Divine' and holy loving poo poo this thing is incredible. I'm already collecting a Necron army myself so I was already primed to like it but I didn't expect just how much I would love the dialogue in this or all the little 40k easter eggs peppered throughout the book. I love the 'Spy vs Spy' stuff between Trazyn and Orikan as well as their fun banter and have the plot center around a single world over the course of 10,000 years was a genius idea that really drives home how utterly irrelevant time is to the Necrons. I haven't finished it just yet (Trazyn has just gotten to the bigger Eternity Gate on the post-exterminatus planet) but this thing has got me hooked.

I think this is easily the best warhammer book I've ever read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
40k (and fantasy) has always been a sci-fantasy pastiche made to justify the existence of different kinds of toy soldiers. It doesn't have an original bone in its body. Trying to cut it open and figure out where everything came from is going to result in you tripping over every semi-popular science fiction or fantasy property from the last 100+ years

I still love the setting though

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
How are the fabius bile books? Thinking about reading through either them or the black legion ones after Im done with Dune.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I actually read Hayley's Devastation of Baal on Goonhammer's recommendation and I enjoyed it quite a bit. He had a good handle on how to portray the tyranids in that book.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So Ive listened to Infinite and the Divine and Im currently halfway through Brutal Kunnin' (hoping for a sequel call 'Kunnin'ly Brutal').

Are there any other good books out there from a Xenos perspective? Id like more Necron stuff but I'll take pretty much anything so long as its not Imperium or Chaos.

Only stipulation is that it has to be available as an audiobook.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

von Metternich posted:

“So far, we’ve had two fantastic novels in Black Library’s Dawn of Fire series.”

[Citation Needed]

The Guilliman and Adeptus Terra stuff was good but thats only about 65% of the book, the rest is really boilerplate 40k novel stuff that, while basically fine, isnt exactly inspiring.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Arcsquad12 posted:

I may be wrong but I think the number 9 has significance across the series. Didn't Saint Sabbatine suffer 9 wounds during her pilgrimage? And there were the 9 assassins in Sabbat Martyr.

I haven't read this but, as someone whose brain is full of warhammer minutiae, it is worth noting that 9 is the sacred number of Tzeentch.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Improbable Lobster posted:

where's the brothers of silence huh????? #misandry40000

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Khorne daemons have started manifesting on armageddon as well after the great rift so its an extra double clusterfuck

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Z the IVth posted:

Medical thriller in 40k? It's going to be Nurglings all the way down isn't it.

Either that or Doc Eldar.

You could also do an Ork Mad Dok

"I needz you gitz to get me a thread squig STAT, da bosses head got cut clean off!"

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
There is supposed to be a live action Eisenhorn series in the works for Amazon Prime and I think that's a great first choice for a live action adaptation.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

mllaneza posted:

Remember the weirdly warped spacetime on the alien planet at the end of the first book ? Eisenhorn has plenty of weird.

He even meets some deathwatch marines towards the end of the first book so you can have some marines without them taking over the entire story.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
If they do Eisenhorn and its successful I imagine they'll do the Ravenor books as well considering they're basically a direct continuation.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
some of the animation felt a little cheap but I really liked all the episodes of Hammer and Bolter so far, especially the second episode

I love little horror vignettes like that and having a lord of change loving with people was kinda fun, showing the more subtle side of chaos is always the most fun part

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Well ADB has released two books on the Black Legion so Id start there

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
They do gently caress up a couple times in Eisenhorn by mentioning the Tyranids well before they are supposed to be in the milky way.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

thocan posted:

Unless I'm forgetting a different time it happened weren't they using a magic warp door to jump around to different places and times to escape a collapsing witch house?

It's not really a continuity error, if that's the only time it happens.

Nah, thats the part that made me realize the continuity error.

In Xenos Eisenhorn explicitly references the Tyranids as still having symmetrical shapes despite how alien they are (in contrast to the Saruthi). One of the short stories in The Magos also has him reference them by name.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Kaal posted:

Pictures like that are cool but also demonstrate a poor understanding of galactic scale. That would be like 100 trillion tyranid for every guardsman. They'd collapse under their own logistical needs.

They're a metaphor for the cold unfeeling vastness of space, its fine

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Yeah the Tyranids aren't just psychic but are EXTREMELY psychic so alot of this stuff can be handwaved that way

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Dog_Meat posted:

Do the nids have any kind of warp equivalent? Or is it just genestealers riding space hulks and then calling out to the fleet who make their way across the galaxy in real space?

If I recall correctly they have a specialized bioship that locks onto the target planet and is able to manipulate gravity to compress the space between the hive fleet and the target world.

Its a much slower process than warp travel but is much more reliable, and has the added benefit of triggering shitloads of tectonic activity on the targeted world.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
VtM: Bloodlines is one of the greatest games ever made but it keeps tricking people into thinking WoD isnt 80% pure poo poo

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Abaddon also killed a clone of Horus in single combat even before he got juiced up by the Chaos gods so hes already established as being on the level of a primarch.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Telsa Cola posted:

Eh, the clones are iffy on whether or not they have the special secret ingredient that makes a primarch primarch.

IDK man the first Black Legion book presents the clone as if he is literally Horus reborn complete with him singlehandedly taking down a room full of Khorne berzerkers, Possessed and a Chaos Sorcerer throwing everything he can at him before Abaddon confronts and kills him.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Just finished up Penitent after listening to the entire Inquisition series on audiobook at work over the course of a month and am feeling insanely blueballed by the ending.

What should I read to figure out Constantin Valdor's whole deal in preparation for the next book?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Pretty much the second the Old Ones laughed in the Necrontyr's face when they asked for the secret to immortality the universe's fate was sealed

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

I would love to see one of the great shows they teased that ISNT angels of death

Yeah I watched the first episode, wasnt impressed at all and thought "man I cant wait until the next Hammer & Bolter episode". Its becoming annoying how thats the only show they're releasing.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Orks make a lot more sense when you realize that violence is sex to them, even down to it being part of their reproductive cycle

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

the funniest part though is that Trayzn does indeed destroy the world, albeit indirectly

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Another fundamental difference between Dune and Warhammer 40k is that, while 40k is absolutely dripping in Christian (particularly Catholic) Iconography, Dune is much more deeply rooted in Islamic imagery to the point that the Butlerian Jihad is foundational to the setting.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Yeah I was thinking we'd have two or three episodes dropping for a handful of shows every week but this current drip feed is pathetic

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Miguel Prado posted:

Are there fans of Erebus?? Erebusters? And if so, they must be right wing extremists?

I would imagine right wingers want to be the Emperor

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Telsa Cola posted:

There's some rumors it's going to be a 40k themed total war or something similar because the fantasy one basically made both companies more money than god.

I really hope its not this, for one thing someone like Abnett would be wasted on something like a total war game (save him for a 40k cRPG) and for another 40k will not work in the total war engine, no matter how many redditors and content creators say otherwise

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

The new book that just came out The Twice-Dead King: Ruin is already being lauded as an instant classic in black library groups I'm in

The Infinite and The Divine already is amazing though

Small correction first

Listened to it on Audiobook at work this week and tbh its excellent. Its such a fascinating look into how Necrons think and how much of a curse their existence actually is. It really drills down into Necron psychology and explores what makes their minds tick. I especially liked how they explained that every Necron has body dysmorphia from having minds evolved to exist in biological forms which are in mechanical bodies. Lots of descriptions of Necrons involuntarily trying to catch their breath and triggering a panic attack when their body is incapable of catching its breath due to it not breathing.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Deptfordx posted:

Welp. Having bounced off the e-pub version of thread favourite The infinite and the divine, I've just done the same for the audible version.

I just can't give a poo poo about Necron stuff (or Eldar). :shrug:

sounds like a personal problem

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I have a soft spot for the more obviously flawed Loyalist chapters (Black Templars and Blood Angels mostly) but the vast majority of them are very boring.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Are there any AoS books that are worth reading? I'm painting up some Stormcast this week and would love some inspiration.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Deptfordx posted:

Could have done with .....

Ps.

And Arch can get hosed as well.

...at the end.

But apart from that, pretty good.

Honestly even acknowledging him is way more than he deserves. At this point you can just ignore him to death.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Yes, historically ignoring fascists has worked out really well.

There seems to be some misunderstanding here. It is important to call out people like the Spanish Nazi whenever possible and that is exactly what GW did here but there is a material difference between him and a guy like Arch. Arch isn't just a person, he is a media brand that thrives off of engagement. GW has already stripped his ability to use the 'Warhammer' name in his usernames but after that acknowledging him at all is just free advertising for his media brand.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Honestly if ADB actually wanted to do a big loyalist marines series Id rather he do a Black Templars series and write about Grimaldus more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I mentioned Necrons as a potential second act antagonist in the 40k game thread and I'm sticking by that. They're an extremely popular tabletop faction and an egomaniacal scenery-chewing Phaeron is just the thing the game needs if the first part of it is gonna be fighting Tyranids. Plus the "oops Tyranids accidentally invaded a Necron Tomb World" is a fun twist that happens repeatedly in codex and campaign book blurbs but we've never got an up close and personal look at it.