Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

DO IT TO IT posted:

Speaking of recommendations that aren't in the OP, are there any solid books that feature the Tyranids as the primary antagonists? I like the lore of how stuff like Tyranid weapons function a lot.

Warriors of Ultramar by Graham McNeill was pretty f'ing awesome. When anyone asks about Tyranids I point them to this book. It's brutal, and a lot of fun. I think it is only available in the Omnibus. I don't think you need to have read the previous book to get on with this one. It's 40k. People died, there are heroes, assholes, and fist pumping.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Mowglis Haircut posted:

I still don't understand why they've relegated the continuation of the Loken storyline to the lovely audiobooks. I know they probably think it'll make them more money but is it really? I imagine there'll be a compilation book out sometime, but it'll be immensely frustrating if we get to the Siege of Terra and he just shows up or something.

Are the audio books that bad? I bought the two story initial one.. The Lightning Tower and somethingsomething. It wasn't bad, wasn't particular good, either. Just okay. Then they refined the next one more based on feedback and it was freaking amazing. Oath of Moment. I've been out of the loop since.

What I remember about the Flight of the Eisenstein book was that I liked it a bit, and had some very tense moments and a satisfying ending.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I see they have Titan available for purchase again.

For $40.

I bought that thing for like $10 a few years back on Amazon. It's just a manga sized book in black and white. Not even their full color hardback graphic novels that I also have ran even $20. What the hell.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I wonder if any of the XBox people now work over at GW.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
All I remember about that book is that the Eversor basically just killed everything.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Barely dodged that bullet. I had my mouse pointer ready to buy it on Steam more than once already. Something just kept telling me not to do it. The Emperor protects.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Is that the one with the spider Orks and other really stupid poo poo?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

berzerkmonkey posted:

I think the problem is that GW originally intended the HH series to be a very limited run of like half a dozen books or something. The series blew up out of the gate and left them scrambling for additional filler titles (Nemesis) while they figured out a way to rework their plan and stretch things out to the more plodding pace we have now.

Yeah this. They moved things along quick and was expecting a dozen books tops. But GW saw how well they were selling and decided to just never finish the loving series and draw it out forever.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Jumping on the Watchers of the Throne and Dark Imperium was awesome train. Getting back into the fluff because GW finally moved the timeline after 30 loving years and it is rad.

I'm looking for any more books detailing Guilliman's return or the happenings of the 100 years of him leading the Indomitus Crusade. I was told in the game thread The Devastation of Baal takes place during the Crusade which is sort of a crumb on the floor to eat, but it's got good reviews so I'll pick it up. What else exists in this timeline that I can read?

Basically they could write a 20 page book with Guilliman sitting on a toilet and sell it for $150 and I'd buy it because I'm dumb and obsessed again.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Kinda didn't want to know what happens at the end of the book.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Pendent posted:

I am honestly really confused at how you've been able to be reading into stuff about the fluff for 8th edition and not have seen that particular tidbit. It's one of the foundational pieces of fluff for the new setting, explicitly referred to in the main rulebook and basically everything from GW that mentions Blood Angels for something like the last 8 months.

I've been away for almost a decade, those two books I read are literally the only fluff I know since whatever has happened 10 years ago. I don't play the game at all, only collect a few minis that catch my eye to paint.

If it's been told everywhere, it's on me. I picked the book up over lunch regardless.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Are there any books with Saint Celestine? Backstory or just current badassery whatever. Maybe not just focusing on her, but a major part or something. Anything?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Just finished the Devastation of Baal. It was alright, the more frenzied Blood Angels kinda ruined the immersion a little, but overall it was lots of action and most importantly, it took place in the more current timeline.

So far I've read:

The Emperor's Legion
Dark Imperium
Devastation of Baal

What, if anything, is available to read in the current timeline, or leading up to it? Are there any books covering the Indomitus Crusade, the current fall of Cadia? I believe there is a short story book I haven't grabbed yet, but any other actual novels? No spoilers, just book names and maybe a summary.

I've asked before but I think this is it. With the exception of some of the actual game fluff books which appear to be out of print now because they lead up to the release of 8th edition which is the dumbest loving thing ever.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I finished the first Gaunt's Ghosts Omnibus sometime around 2007 or so. I was digging around in my bin and found I had the second one The Saint which opens with Honour Guard.

Man, it's cool coming back to a family like that over so much time. This book may as well have been about the WW2 German invasion through the Ardennes. Tank battles with las cannons melting entire city streets and leaving foot soldiers blind in their wake is just too retro scifi cool.

I missed this so much.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Xenomrph posted:

The Necrons were great in Dark Crusade, they were like a freight train. Slow to get moving, but once they were rolling they were unstoppable.

Oh hey, 2,000,000 of my necrons just got bulldozed after 30 minutes during that war of attrition.

*Necron lord waves his hand*

Oh hello, here is my current swarm of necrons AND ALL THE DEAD 2,000,000 NECRONS.

I loved that poo poo. It was so broke but fun as hell.

Edit: Reinstalling this now.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Feb 16, 2018

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Can't stop playing Dark Crusade again. My Necrons are obliterating everything in their path. Once your dude gets 3-4 pieces of war gear he can pretty much bum rush at the beginning with a few honor guard and just win the map.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Xenomrph posted:

I just Necron-stomped Chaos out of existence in my new campaign. Fuckin’ retard infantry kept straying too close to the Khorne pulse beacons and getting instakilled. :saddowns:

Hold stance fixes all the pathing issues and makes the game way more enjoyable.

I do let my lord run around like an idiot when I have the essence of nightbringer available because holy poo poo.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Funny thing, Dark Crusade still looks fine today. It plays fine. Everything works fantastic.

They could just crank out more Crusades using this same engine and I would have no problem paying them $cash$ $money$ $cash$ for them.

Maybe update the units a little or something, but nothing drastic needs to be done.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Arcsquad12 posted:

HELSREACH by Richard Boylan

Which has been pretty amazing. The dude stitched them all together and it's over an hour and half long. A buddy and I sat down and watched it one night at a 'Con and it went by really quick. We both agreed that it was pretty drat cool. My only complaint is the weird chapter master voice.

That Titan tho. Love the War of the Worlds death horns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUplioG2DC4

Philthy fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 26, 2018

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Finished Cadia Stands. I enjoyed the fact I got to learn first hand what happened to usher in the current edition, I guess. It's hard to read IG from anyone other than Abnett.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Adeptus Titanicus was just rereleased. What good Titan books exist? I've read Mechanicum years ago, and I think that's it.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Yessss. This is fantastic, but man 1 minute long episodes is just ughhhhh. I know it probably took the dude(s) so much to do even that.

I just want another movie of this. Good god.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I remember reading Nemesis when it came out like a year ago 9 loving years agoand I remember it being alright. I mean you knew going in that they weren't going to finish the mission, but I remember it reading like a bunch of insane killers slaughtering everything which is pretty much what you wanted anyways. I don't think anyone expected an Eversor to sit around trying diplomacy or anything. If I remember right no one even wanted to be near the container when it opened so they launched it onto a planet and were like "welp! sux for them lmao"

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Plague War is probably one of the worst 40k books I've read. I'd put it next to that silly book where space marines mutated into spiders or someshit.

The first book was fantastic, in that it began to swing the tide back and Primaris marines were unstoppable super marines. You could put one against a Terminator and they'd roll over them like it was nothing. Chaos were literally making GBS threads their pants over them by the end of the book.

Second book, they were just space marines. Nothing special here. Move along. Here is a battle with weird wooden towers that are destroying Titans and the rest of the planet. What. It was just ridiculous on so many levels that it was hard to believe the same dude wrote both books.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

jng2058 posted:

Anybody got a reading order for the "new" 40k stuff? I presume the three Gathering Storm books are first, but then what?

I would suggest (In this order):

Cadia Stands
*Watchers of the Throne: The Emperor's Legion
*Dark Imperium
Devastation of Baal
*Dark Imperium: Plague War

* must read

At the very least Watchers first followed by Dark Imperium. They go hand in hand and are two of my favorite 40k books to date.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 8, 2019

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Where exactly does watchers fit in in the timeline? Cadia has fallen, but before the indomitus crusade?

Watchers happens before, during, and after Cadia I believe, or in that same-ish time period. The happenings of Cadia Stands sets you up to why hell is breaking loose everywhere else. I don't want to give away anything other than the battles in Watchers that takes place is loving epic+++++.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 8, 2019

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Biplane posted:

I got the impression most, if not all, of Watchers takes place after Cadia falls, they just don’t know it.

Yeah, looking back it makes sense why they were having so much trouble getting around is because Cadia was kinda hosed at that point.

This is making me want to reread it again.

I read them out of order initially and always wished I had done them the correct way as the lead-in is metal af.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

peanut- posted:

Watchers of the Throne... I admit fight scenes are usually the least interesting part of BL books to me, but the Custodian & squad of Grey Knights & Sisters of Silence vs a Bloodthirster fight is like all my tiny plastic soldier mans fantasies come true. I was painting a plague marine while listening and wanted to smash the drat heretic.

Yeah, I had goose bumps reading through that entire battle. How dare they.

HOW DARE THEY! SEND THEM ALL BACK TO HELLTHE WARP.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/11/10/black-library-weekender-2019-the-reveals/

Black Library Weekender reveals are up and there's a bevy of good stuff.
Like Ephrael Stern making a return with a sequel and a full color version of Daemonifuge. As well as the Last Chancers returning as well.

Also a new Watchers of the Throne book announced, with tie-in models.

Although Valerian's model looks weird, his head feels out of place.

This is pretty awesome. I can't rave enough about how good I thought Watchers of the Throne was. It's probably my favorite 40k book. It's just so. loving. epic. Grey Knights, Custodes, Sisters of Silence all fighting side by side as the warp is ripped open as Cadia falls and Chaos pours out. There is actual story and much needed world building leading up to all of this.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Nov 15, 2019

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yikes, did they really redo all the artwork for the new Sabbat Worlds Crusade? I got the original way back whenever because the artwork was so grim darky weird as fuckkk. This looks like kinda rote with none of the weirdness that makes 40k 40k.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Love me some must read 40k and I've been away for a bit. Bounced in this thread and looks like ordering the HC Pariah and Penitent is a must read, yah? Don't want to skim anymore cuz you guys are spoiling it so hard.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Hardcovers of Pariah and Penitent showed up today.

Haven't read anything about anything, have no idea what I am getting into other than the book cover art.

Diggin' Pariah so far. Bad rear end.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Finished both Pariah and Penitent. Enjoyed both of them, but I think I liked Pariah more. It started to feel like GW was writing this more than Abnett at some point and it became sort of a slog. I guess I'm "that guy".

Still think the The Carrion Throne/Watchers of the Throne series is at the top spot by a mile.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 22, 2021

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Re: Penitent

Not sure about the plot revelations of Penitent. I mean, it's likely Valdor has been chilling out with a secret plan for/with the Emperor and that's why all Chaos are going insane because he may have found a way to finally wake/heal the Emperor. The Inquisitors find themselves having to fight alongside Valdor and maybe even the Emperor if he's somehow existing in the Immaterium this entire time. Valdor was the most loyal to the Emperor and was his right-hand man, even beyond his Primarch "sons". He's not going to be some rando bad guy or third party without 10 more books explaining it. He disappeared because the Emperor tasked him with a contingency plan like the Primaris marines.

I'm hoping this finally just moves the plot of the Emperor waking after 30 some years (10,000).

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

Someone took the short story The Last Church and made it into a SEVENTY ONE MINUTE ANIMATED FILM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPbqDF_Q_sk

I'm only a few minutes in, but it's pretty decent for some guy's passion project.

Man, this was really good.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Amazon is showing Alpharius coming out on Hardcover on the 27th and ebook on the 17th?

Only $19 for the HC, which is like $10 cheaper than normal. Think I'll snag it.

Edit: AH, it's only 288 pages, so it's shorter.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 12, 2021

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL7mPADOAY0

Whoever is responsible for making Games Workshop's youtube videos should get a medal.

Awww. I was waiting for it to zoom out to show the entire city with the titans were on the back of a Imperator Titan.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Preorder of Alpharius finally arrived. Digging it so far. I love the smaller format hardcover, I wish they were all this way.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Finished Alpharius. It was above average. I would recommend it because this is where it all started for the search for primarchs. Lots of Imperium building while the Emperor is still walking around. It's also a quick read.

Another book on the good pile!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

wiegieman posted:

Of course, it's Alpharius and Omegon telling the story, so it could all be a lie.

It's a good way to gently caress with canon and the fact you have a dozen or more authors all writing non-stop about the same era. That's not saying there are a lot of revising and such, it's just a good way to smooth the edges a bit. I enjoyed it.