Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/04/20/psychic-awakening-consequences/

Thought that was a nice little short story. Particularly interesting was the quote from the Custodes Shield-Captain: "I am Custodes. I speak with the Emperor’s voice. Were you loyal, you would set down your weapons and accept your guilt. But you side with your brothers before your Emperor, as the Adeptus Astartes always have."

I never really thought about it before, but had always considered the Custodes to be amped-up space marines, rather than a completely separate kind of being, as the Shield-Captain implies. Interesting that the Shield-Captain considers himself to be apart from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Not sure if this has been posted here already, but you can currently get a whole load of 40k books cheaply in the current humble bundle. They appear to all be books that are the first in a series, Eisenhorn Xenos, Ravenor etc.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Which books cover the period when Cawl was tasked with making the Primaris marines? Is it just The Great Work?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I'm almost at the end of Horus Rising and am considering what to move onto next.

I still have to work my way through the rest of Eisenhorn, although I'm finding it to be a bit of a slog. I petered out half-way through the second book, and don't really feel any great desire to return to it. I'm considering either the first book in the Watchers of the Throne series or maybe just continuing with the Heresy? I also fancy having a look at the Cawl book about the Primaris stuff, The Great Work, as I did enjoy Haley's most recent stuff with the Plague Wars.

Any suggestions beyond the things I've mentioned already? Also, how much of the Heresy is actually worth reading? Horus Rising is pretty good, but they can't all be this good, surely? Which ones are "the good ones/important ones"?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Does anyone know when the current incarnation of Necromunda takes place? Is it up-to-date with the current 40k happenings?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Just started reading The Emperor's Legion, the first book in the Watchers of the Throne series. The passage where Valerian takes his journey down into the throne room of the palace is the coolest thing I've ever read in the Black Library. So different from how I imagined the golden throne, so much cooler. Chris Wraight really did a great job.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Just finished The Hollow Mountain and have moved onto Avenging Son. I have really enjoyed Chris Wraight's recent 40k work. Both Vaults of Terra and Watchers of the Throne were great.

With Godblight coming out pretty soon, will I be okay jumping straight into the new book, or were the retcons of Plague Wars extensive enough to warrant a re-read?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

What was the general reception to Dawn of Fire? I'm just over halfway through the first book, Avenging Son, and I love it so far. One of the better Black Library books I've read.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Does anyone know how you're meant to pronounce Ferren Areios' last name? I keep thinking Ah-Ree-Oss or Ah-Ray-Ohss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Womp posted:

Let's just get it over with now and start something else.

Isn't that what Dawn of Fire is meant to be? I thought they described it as being a project on the scale of the Horus Heresy series.