Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dog_Meat posted:

It was actually something Horus exploited in the Heresy. I can't remember which book it was in (I think it was the Corax one), but he weakened the loyalist legions long before openly declaring war by pushing loyalist legions further out into the crusade from their supply lines, syphoning off their resources for "priority" and sending newer hardware (stronger bolter ammo, better armour) to the traitor legions. The chapters fighting at the drop site massacre knew they were out resourced but assumed the reinforcements were coming so they could pull off the victory.

It gets brought up in Mechanicum, although it's never outright confirmed by anybody in a "Ah you've discovered my secret plan!" way.

Kurzon posted:

It's something the books don't consider enough. Yeah, courage and ferocity and faith are nice and all, but the blood and sinews of war is money. So many empires have lost wars not for massive casualties or lack of zeal but simply because they ran out of money.

The Imperial war machine has no actual monetary outlay though. Service is compulsory and there aren't defense contractors who need to be paid to provide for them. The Space Wolves aren't gonna refuse to deploy because their last paycheck bounced, especially since they've never even gotten a paycheck to begin with.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Guyver posted:

Let me get this straight. The angels and holy warriors of your God Emperor/Omnissiah ask you for support and you're going to ask for payment?

Some dude named Horace did that once.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

D-Pad posted:

Well my first idea was a group of 5-6 from a penal legion breaking off during a battle to pull off some sort of heist that ends up being connected to an internecine inquisition squabble. I really liked it, but now I see the submission specifically mentions the Last Chancers, who I had never heard of, but they appear to be a penal legion group.

I dunno, I think a Three Kings: Imperium Edition story could be cool. Penal legion guys breaking off to do more crimes is different from the main thrust of the Last Chancers.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Cooked Auto posted:

That's great, I'm sad the Badcast passed over mentioning that in their review of the book because it sounds like a hoot. :D

The Cawl impression makes up for it though holy poo poo I was laughing so hard.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Say what you will about the tenets of Chaos Undivided, at least it's an ethos.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I demand more Persson.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Arcsquad12 posted:

I guess they would love fighting Marines as crazy as the Black Templars, then.

Lamenters are like loot crates to Orks.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I'd say it's pretty clearly a lie in 40k, it's just propaganda by the daemons. The Death Guard is dour as gently caress.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Preechr posted:

Yeah, something about one traitor and one loyalist switching sides. Joke answers are alpharius and omegon switch sides and no one notices, or the lion switches sides and no one notices.

Guilliman is gonna rebel against the Ecclesiarchy and Lorgar is gonna come back and be like "Whoa what the heck dude how can you not see that this guy is a God?!"

Boom, there you go.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Cawl being Tony Stark seems like a pretty shallow reading of him based on "High tech! Makes weapons for the government!"

His outlook is more like Dr. Manhattan in that he barely comprehends what it's like to be a Space Marine, much less a normal human. He sees the end state he wants and that's it, everything else works in service of that. This is probably also a bad comparaison, really.

(I'm also only like ~20% done with the book so I might be totally wrong here.)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

rocket_Magnet posted:

Carrion throne has a tangential relation Inquisitor Crowl sends one of his operatives to figure out what got some minor docking functionary at Terra killed. The op does their digging and thinks they're getting close when they get accosted by some special forces outfit. They make a good show of themselves make it out of the flat only then to run into the thing that's orchestrated the raid on where they were. When they see what's after them their response is "Oh, poo poo". The Inquisitor catches wind of this and that their op is being held in the local arbites precinct. They go in guns ablazing kill a bunch of arbites, untill the orchestrator makes themselves known. The inquisitor's reaction, much like their op is "Oh, poo poo". The custodian then proceeds to hospitalize every person the Inquisitor brought with them which was 1? Or 2? Stormtrooper squads .

Only thing we've got so far that's as close as to what you're describing.

The best part is that you've put the literal quotes from each dude in there, not just a colloquial summary.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kevin DuBrow posted:

A suitably grimdark fact about the Adeptus Administratum in the latest Vaults of Terra book is that most record keeping is done on vellum, produced from porcine bred on agri-worlds or from flesh grown in bio-vats. It’s the 7th biggest import to Terra.

And they even admit it's a ridiculous way to go about things.

Schadenboner posted:

So I finished Carrion Throne, is Hollow Mountain the direct sequel or should I go through Emperor's Legion first? I don't mind Custards but I'm more into =][=?

:shrug:

Hollow Mountain picks up right on the heels of Carrion Throne. I read them back to back and it seems to be the way to go.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

SardonicTyrant posted:

Do they ever explain why the Primarchs tolerate the Night Lords being space terrorists and the Emperor ok'ing it?

Almost every HH book seems to have a character remarking on how one of the other chapters just kills everybody in compliance campaigns without even trying to ask for surrenders. Night Lords are just another name on the pile.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Fallen Hamprince posted:

It's heavily implied that behind the psychic glamour that effects most viewpoint characters the Emperor is ruthless, brutal dictator. At the start of First Heretic he sends Malcador and the Ultramarines to flatten the city of Monarchia and murder its entire population because its builders, the Word Bearers, weren't conquering planets for him fast enough. That wasn't a problem with the Night Lords, who had such a horrific reputation even before the Heresy that the mere rumor of their presence in a crusade fleet was enough to make hostile planets compliant. Their being unstable psychopaths wasn't going to be a problem forever anyway, because it's implied that he planned to wipe out the Space Marines just like he did with his previous super-soldier army, the Thunder Warriors.

Didn't they ostensibly evacuate Monarchia before leveling it?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MariusLecter posted:

Lorgar has his own narrative of events it's pretty sad, like how he sees Guilliman hating him and enjoying leveling Monarchia and savoring the opportunity to wound Lorgar.

Then the revelation later on Calth(?) after loving up Guilliman's stuff, when he finally sees a pissed Gulliman with hate in his eyes, "Oh, poo poo."

Yeah, that bit was great. I also liked at the Drop Site Massacre when Lorgar is getting the poo poo beaten out of him by Corax and is just like "Honestly I kind of hope he kills me at this point."

And then Curze's reaction when he has to save Lorgar's weak rear end in that fight. Just the utter contempt.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Demiurge4 posted:

I’m going to enjoy the inevitable clash of dissonance when Lorgar and Guilliman square up again and Lorgar is all ‘hahah! I am suffused with the power of the warp and you can’t beat me this time brother!’ And Guilliman just tells him he was right about dad all along and I read your book sorry bro.

Guilliman being clearly uncomfortable with the Ecclesiarchy is a pretty great story hook and I hope they end up doing something with it. Especially given his relationship with Cawl who is already called a heretic by plenty of people in the Imperium and AdMech.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Guyver posted:

Lorgar coming back and taking over the Ecclesiarchy as space pope because everyone forgot he was a traitor would be fun.

There were all those rumors that a loyalist and traitor Primarch would swap sides and honestly it would be hilarious if it ended up being Guilliman and Lorgar.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Can you descend from Daemonhood? I mean, it seems like if you forsake the Gods they wouldn't continue to bless you with their power.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sharkopath posted:

Cawl has access to their pre heresy genetic material and only promised guilliman he wouldnt do experiments on the traitor or lost legion primaris.

But what's a promise worth nowadays honestly?

Cawl absolutely has "Better to seek forgiveness than to ask permission" etched into his carapace somewhere.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dog_Meat posted:

I really should re-read that book at some point as it's part of one of the better trilogies in the series. I kinda rushed through it first time round. I remember Lorgar delivering some massive warp storm and Magnus noticing how much more powerful he is, but the only combat I remember is the World Eater stuff

Plus... it's Gulliman. A very pissed off, raging Gulliman and Lorgar is nowhere near that group of "four, maybe five at most. AT MOST" brothers who have a chance against him.

Lorgar's psychic abilities in Betrayer are insanely powerful (to the point where I was like "Wait what?" when he first uses them) but if you punch him in the face he's still Lorgar.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Last time I saw this I was busy with The First Heretic but this time I get to be Cawl :toot:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

wiegieman posted:

Guilliman is always working everyone around him. He can't help but try to get everyone on his side at all times, it's just who he is.

Guilliman is just me playing every RPG I've ever played.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Demiurge4 posted:

It's the same in Know No Fear when Roboute comes out of nowhere to punk a bunch of Word Bearers crawling around on the hull of his flagship

gently caress that part is so good. And then it ends with the rest of the Ultras having to drag him back inside because he still wants to singlehandedly murder a boarding ship with his bare hands and no helmet.

Also the staid, boring Ultramarines are kind of a microcosm of the Imperium as a whole, right? Their strength for a long time was that Robute was fine with modifying doctrine to best fit with their opponents at the time and then he went away and it all became frozen and inviolate.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dog_Meat posted:

Guilliman is responsible for the structure of the 40k marine chapters and in tabletop, the Ultras were the vanilla 'proper' template for players to create their own chapters. Character wise (pre-Abnett) they followed the codex as a holy scripture and it genuinely contains military genius for every marine to absorb with their eidetic memory but in most stories they were always punked by the cool kid marines who didn't play by the rules, dammit.

It was Abnett that brought in the "theory / practical" and adapting aspect into the lore for them. The astartes eventually missing the point and becoming stagnant due to the dogma of following the sacred text slavishly is 40k 101 and dovetailed nicely into what he did with them.

God, that man knows how to polish a turd and make it somehow work

Yeah it's clearly a retroactive thing and they "suffer" from being The Default Marines but I think it was a cool way of handling it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Moose-Alini posted:

Which one was that? Know no Fear? I need to go back and reread some of the better books, it’s been years and dozens of books.

Yup.

The entire style of Know No Fear is fantastic, and it definitely made me think better of the Ultramarines as a chapter.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Technowolf posted:

Is there a list of the better HH books somewhere?

The OP has one but it's pretty old. Sounds like the first two books of The Siege Of Terra section of the HH are worth reading, though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dog_Meat posted:

Only Guilliman looked beyond the crusade to what else they could do for the Imperium. His vision was that planets would eventually have superhuman, borderline immortal warrior statesman to steer them. Probably the only time a book has acknowledged that the marines have gene enhanced brains that can be used for more than aiming really big guns.

Magnus did too, not necessarily to such a Utopian ideal as Guilliman, who seemed to envision true and lasting peace at some point.

I mean, Lorgar would probably tell you he also knew Astartes could be more than trigger pullers but well...

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

SardonicTyrant posted:

A lot of the legions dabbled in stuff outside of warfare. Dorn's like the only one who focused exclusively on being a military force.

Angron and Russ didn't seem to have many interests outside that sphere either.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mythicknight posted:

Finally listening to Helsreach after throwing a spare audible credit at it.

Man, cleaning the house while hearing the vivid descriptions of those sea facilities getting blown out and falling into the ocean one by one as they realize whats happening was metal as gently caress. So many good moments - fighting in the presence of the primarch statues, the titan standing back up, the roll call of Templars fallen and seed recovered, hell just the siege prep happening at the beginning - I dig it. A lot. This is my first Spaec Marine-centric book, what's a good follow-up?

I haven't read Helsreach (yet) but from those spoilered bits, Know No Fear would probably be a good choice.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Read Carrion Throne yesterday. Awesome read.

Navradaran pulling a haemonculus out of its disruption field and beating it to death so easily was awesome .

Everything relating to those dudes in that book absolutely rules. It's a nice change from the HH novels where every Custode is just "A dude in golden armor" more or less.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Where do Carrion Throne/Hollow Mountain fit into the timeline? Im not that up on the lore.

They're pretty "contemporary" in that they cover the fallout of what happened at Cadia.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I mean, they all just got killed, infested with daemons, and then every non-astartes on the ship died so even beyond the possible physical changes, they weren't exactly operating at 100% in general. Plus they had to man every station on the ship.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I don't really understand how Horus could even still exist in any way given that The Emperor obliterated his entire soul when he killed him. I realize he's been cloned and whatever but it seems dumb even by 40k standards.

My personal pet theory (which is hardly just my own) is that Guilliman/Cawl are going to end up sparking some kind of civil war with the Ecclesiarchy which could be construed as "falling" since y'know, bad side of the church and all.

It would be funny to see Lorgar be the guy who returns to the fold since it turns out he was right about The Emperor all along anyway.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Arcsquad12 posted:

Are there any hard and fast rules for how a Titan crew interface with their machines? Helsreach has princeps Zahar in the titan equivalent of a dreadnought sarcophagus while her moderatii acted as gunners.

That's how it works in Mechanicum too, and the "entombing" of the princeps is due to injuries sustained in battle, much like when it comes to dreadnoughts. It's implied that it's not necessarily a standard practice but isn't that rare, either.

A princeps can interface with the Titan without the sarcophagus, but their ability to link up with the manifold is way better once they're doing it that way.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ThePopeOfFun posted:

In Night Lords, they steal an entomed princeps for some grimdark fun.

Speaking of, are there other books with Adeptus Mechanicus uh... heretics? Not sure what you call chaos AdMechs.

Dark Mechanicus is the "official" name. Mechanicum is pretty much about the schism where they first show up.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kaal posted:

In truth it's rich to hear any Space Marine, much less a Primarch, complain about how restricted they are. They're waited on hand and foot and have virtually unlimited authority, and are basically treated as ubermensch, while the rest of humanity largely scrapes by in abject poverty and impotence. And that's before considering that the rebels immediately threw any principles into the fire and went full chaotic evil on Day 1 of the heresy. I've liked reading the Horus Heresy books but every time an author tries to justify the rebels it's just totally eyerolling.

All of the Primarch's reasons for turning traitor are petty and/or egomaniacal, but I think the HH books that people generally talk about in this thread do a very good job of showing why their chapters went along with them like they did.

Also during The Great Crusade it seems like humanity generally didn't have to scrape by in abject poverty, at least not on "established" Imperial worlds. Although I guess Fenris was still intentionally kept a hellhole. I dunno, Prospero seemed nice.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

NikkolasKing posted:

Maybe I don't understand how bad people think but bad people should in effect think like anyone else, they just go through with acts we never would.

I have a temper and I am a bit full of myself. Both of these things would make me instantly turn anyone who tried to kill me into paste on the wall if I had Space Marine's or a Primarch's strength.

But the very angry Horus and the very egotistical Lucius are both just like "eh."

Horus was lied to from the get go by Erebus, Lucius was thrown onto a planet to die like the rest of the trash he so despises. It doesn't matter what Erebus intended, it doesn't matter if Lucius was only dropped there due to his friendship with Saul, Horus got stabbed and Lucius got nearly eaten alive by a virus.

Objective #1 upon realizing all this should be to make a goblet out of Erebus' skull and for Lucius...I guess he'd have a hard time killing Fulgrim or whoever but at least make the attempt. You shame yourself by crawling back and licking the feet of those who betrayed you. Where is the warrior pride in that?

I just don't understand.

Loyalty and fealty are genetically encoded into Marines, which helps explains Lucius' case.

Horus was "tricked" to an extent but in the end Erebus was just giving him what he wanted and didn't really know.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Randalor posted:

On a scale from 1 to 10? Existential horror. Depending on the writer, either they're someone who has been lobotomized so severely that they can just barely remeber enough to do the last order they were given (Ravenor) or their memory is mostly intact, and they're effectively locked out of their own body and slave to the machines stuffed into their skulls (Priests of Mars)

It also partially depends on why you get servitorized, right? If it's as punishment, oh boy.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

a lovely king posted:

The Great Work is a bit too tied up in the current unfolding 40k storyline to be read as a standalone I think, plus the revelations in it aren't very exciting if you haven't got that grounding. It doesn't have much else going for it besides that too, pretty standard stoic Marines fighting stoically.

If you want good Mechanicus action check out Titanicus, really excellent book about a Titan Legion and it also elaborates on the complexity of the Imperium and Mechanicus' relationship regarding their religions.

The Priests of Mars series by Graham McNeil is pretty good for that too, lots of kooky characters and fun set pieces. Titanicus is better though.

I read The Great Work without reading any of the other recent 40k stuff, but I also had a general idea about Cawl's deal. I think it's worth reading if you know/care about Cawl, and the setup is pretty exciting for the stuff to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

abrosheen posted:

Magos, especially the novella at the end, was so good. I really enjoyed Pariah too, and all of these novels link together and build, so my advice would be to keep reading all of them (Eisenhorn, Ravenor, Magos, Pariah) and join me in praying for Abnett to soon continue the Eisenhorn/Ravenor series.

Going into Ravenor, the middle book was probably my favorite of the three. The first felt like a lot of setup, and the third was a continuation of side stories from the first two that build to something else.

Yeah, the actual main story in Magos fuckin' rules. It's nice to read the Inquisitor books to take a break from the huge scale of most other 30/40k novels.