Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

The fluff line is that AIs became self-aware and rebelled against humans during the Dark Age of Technology, and were eventually put down after considerable losses. The Emperor decreed that no true AIs could ever be built again, leading to the use of machine spirits and servitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Lore question: Is Malcharion of the Night Lords in a standard dreadnought shell (as we usually see in 40k), or is he in a Contemptor pattern shell?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Question about Pariah on a relatively major plot device appearing about...a third of the way in?

How likely is it that the glass shard that's used on several occasions, a flect? I know flects appeared in the Ravenor book series (as opposed to Eisenhorn, if we choose to believe the theory that he's the Yellow King and therefore likely supplier of the glass shard along with all the other chaos going-ons), but it seems very similar.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Where are people seeing the 45 buck price tag? It's showing as 30 for me.

Also I'm considering it because audio-only content is worthless for the deaf/hearing impaired :argh:

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

The references to earlier human history (our present and backwards) are pretty cool, and I got the Soviet rocket toy reference in Pariah almost instantly, but a lot of other stuff is pretty opaque to me. I never would have gotten the stuff FriedChicken picked up on :psyduck:

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Alchenar posted:

And then Cypher pops into the Throne Room mid-ritual and is all 'oh... I thought there would be no-one here... well this is awkward'

Who do you think planted the idea for him to head to Terra? :ssh:

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Cold fusion engines :v:

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

How was Angel of Fire? I haven't read it yet, and I'm about to place a pre-order for a few books.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I just recently finished Angel Exterminatus, and I have to say that I really liked Perturabo's characterization. I also thought Fulgrim's evolution was also interesting, and enjoyed the contrasts drawn between the Iron Warriors and the Emperor's Children. It's going to be interesting to see how Perturabo actually progresses along the path towards becoming a Daemon prince.

I also liked the little shout-out to McNeil's other works in the last chapter, it came out of nowhere but I thought it was clever.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Has anyone read The Death of Antagonis yet? Worth picking up?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Mowglis Haircut posted:

The gently caress. I thought names like Angron were bad, but that? Let me guess, Antagonis is the bad guy? gently caress BL, step up your game.

It's actually a planet.

And you should know by now that anything short of "Badguy McBadderson" is considered good for WH40k books :v:

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

SquadronROE posted:

I finished Wrath of Iron last night. Man, dark is right. Dark, dark, dark story. I then picked up Brotherhood of the Snake, because it looked good. I'm trying to figure out my next book though... what are people's thoughts on these:

Angels Exterminatus
Siege of Castallax
Inquisitor Ascendant
Chapter War
Battle of the Fang
Iron Company

For reference, my favorites so far are the Gaunt's Ghosts series and Prospero Burns (go figure).

The only two I've read are Angel Exterminatus and Battle of the Fang, both of which I thought were good. I've heard that the Siege of Castallax wasn't all that great.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Fried Chicken posted:

ADB's next Horus Heresy book (which he will be starting soon, he is in the last stages of the Talon of Horus) is The Master of Mankind, and he has confirmed that the title is not tricky or misleading, it is a book focused on the Emperor, his character, and his motivations.

Given that ADB has set up a lot of "the Emperor is a lot more complicated than you think" storylines in his novels and short stories, I think it is a very safe bet that he knows what he is going to do with the book along those lines.

It's going to be interesting to see if he plays off of The Outcast Dead where it's heavily implied that the Emperor knows what's going to happen during the Heresy, including his death. It might really provide a new angle on the development of the Imperium since the Heresy, if all is going as the Emperor set it up to go.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Kurzon posted:

The tech-priests see alien technology as corrupt and refuse to reverse-engineer it for the benefit of humans, so why are they so eager to get their hands on captured Necron and Eldar tech? What do they hope to learn?

I think there's also fluff that the upper echelons of the Mechanicum is wise to how technology really is, as opposed to the religious mentality of the lower ranks. It's akin to the way that most Space Marines venerate the Emperor as a leader or progenitor rather than a god, in contrast to the Imperium at large. I wouldn't be surprised if the Necron/Eldar/Tau/whathaveyou technology vanishes into their laboratories on Mars, then a decade later a new and improved laser cannon born of human knowledge rolls out, praise the Omnissiah.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Cooked Auto posted:

At least 10 to 100+ years or something long like that. I mean space is loving huge and regardless of how much the warp compresses time it's still a massive distance to cover.

That's also assuming that the Warp travel doesn't cause you to pop out five centuries after you departed, or five years before. Time is funny in the Warp, that way.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Demiurge4 posted:

The Eternity Gate :colbert: They'll end up making a whole book out of the Emperor and Sanguinius roaming around Horus's flagship with other points of view like Roboute.

Come to think of it, it must be really loving scary for any chaos worshipper on that ship with the loving Emperor roaming around that place solo.

VanSandman posted:

God I hope they continue with the 'never see what the Emperor is thinking' rule they've got.

400 pages of random Chaos chumps on board the Vengeful Spirit suddenly dying before they knew what hit them. Nothing from the Emperor's perspective, just "Gordonor looked up from his console. Suddenly, his head exploded in a maelstrom of psychic energy," over and over.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

UberJumper posted:

Just finished Sabbat Martyr which was probably one of the better books in Gaunts Ghosts.

Can anyone explain how The saint goes from dying, to magically taking over Sanian?

The benevolence of the Emperor :cryingaquila:

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Jerkface posted:

I always saw the secret that The Lion wasn't necessarily falling to Chaos, but a kind of opportunistic 'pick the winning side' type that decided Horus was going to win, then when he didn't he was like o shi actually uh double triple secret nono on all you dudes, we were totally for the Emperor.

I think there's also a possibility that when he became aware of the Chaos stuff, he was just like :wtc: "Rah rah for the EmperorDo not mind the Marines being tortured behind the curtain". Y'know, switching due to horror/disgust at what the rebelling Legions had become, as opposed to switching only once Horus's loss became evident.

quote:

That would be better (to me) than him just plain being chaosy, and actually would fit how they are portraying him in the current heresy novels (secretive, cunning, collecting his own powerbase [various artifacts and whatever like that evil cube]) and waiting to pick a side.

Cube? What book was this mentioned in?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Baron Bifford posted:

The Tau have a bunch of psychic races in their empire, such as the Nicassar. They don't seem to have any problems with Chaos. Neither do the Orks. I've never seen a Chaos Ork (and I'm glad - Orks are more fun when "pure"). I take it then the Chaos Gods are only interested in humans and Eldar?

If you get into the RPG books, there's actually more than a few alien races that have individuals that have turned to Chaos, or the race as a general whole worships Chaos. It's just that they're not as visible as the other races in the setting.

For the Tau, I'm not sure what the justifications would be, but despite their relative inexperience with Chaos, I'd suspect the Ethereals are canny to what's going on and are involved in secret efforts to root out Chaos in the Tau Empire. Orcs don't fall to Chaos per se because the Chaos Gods know that Gork 'n Mork'll krump 'em if dey trys anyfing tricksey wit da orkz.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Does anyone know if there's anything going on with Black Library? I was looking over their coming releases section, and they've only got releases listed through August, which seems weird since before they've had listed releases seemingly 4-6 months out. Vulkan Lives is listed on Amaazon but not on the BL site.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Betrayer falls within the five month timeframe, and was pretty good. I've also recently finished Ahriman: Exile, and I thought it was a decent read. The perspective it offers on interacting with the warp as a psyker was a little novel, and if you care about Thousand Sons/Chaos Marines it has a interesting series of developments.

E: The mass market paperback of Angel Exterminatus is supposed to be out soon, and I liked it too. It gives some character development to Perturabo and covers both the Iron Warriors and the Emperor's Children legion.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

DirtyRobot posted:

Dude's playin' the long con.

Here, ranking of major players, by length of con:

Most Astartes > Horus > Erebus > Alpharius/Omegon > Cabal > Emperor > Chaos

Are your arrows pointed the wrong way, or is Horus playing a con longer than virtually all the Warp? Is "dead as poo poo" a con?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I was just kinda razzing you :v: It'd be kind of funny if a shred of Horus's soul was still floating through the warp, going "Just as planned."

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I don't have anything to add to the actual argument, but the various lines of discussion about a blank failing to overcome a Chaos Titan, and varying degrees of blankness cancelling out various degrees of psychic activity, have given me the mental image of an inquisitor trying to overcome a Chaos Titan by having several dozen blanks hug it, complete with the Chaos Titan flailing around like "get it off get it off get it off" :haw:

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Arquinsiel posted:

Well I'm just paraphrasing an old WHFRP blurb about Nurgle. He really is about hope.

Really? I always thought Tzeentch was supposed to be aligned with the concept of hope, that you can change yourself and what's around you.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

berzerkmonkey posted:

Mind blown. The Black Crusades don't fail because of Abbadon's incompetence or Imperial resistance - they fail because that one faction steals the ball from Abbadon and tries to make the winning shot to steal all the glory.

That was a really, really good explanation of Abbadon and his motives.

I maintain that the real reason for Abbadon always losing is because he doesn't have any arms :colbert:

Although this does bring up in my mind another funny armageddon scenario to tack on to the Star Child/Tyranids eat everything/Gork 'n Mork krump everything scenarios: Abaddon suddenly goes "Why am I drawing on Chaos, Chaos sucks and stabs me in the back every goddamn time," and either goes completely neutral or rejoins the Imperium with the Black Legion. I'd imagine a Black Legion with a repentant Abaddon and purged of demonic influence would be incredibly powerful.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

TheStampede posted:

I didn't want to write off Manus, but that's where I mean I think some are more mortal than others. But maybe I'm using a poor choice of words. What I'm trying to get at is that, while not specifically "immortal", I think they are at least beyond simple mortal trifles, like nutrition and sanity. I think their close association to the warp might protect them from some of it's more maddening effects. If Astartes can be designed to feel no fear and face the madness of the warp full on, I think a Primarch could cope with it pretty well, if not better.

And I don't recall exactly, but aren't Astartes practically immortal (up until the die horribly)? They could live forever, but they never make it that long? That's probably based on them at least getting proper food, but I don't really know for sure. Seems like a Primarch would at least have that luxury, and probably more.

There's definitely material talking about how very old Astartes have reduced physical abilities compared to their younger selves, which could imply they experience senescence like normal humans, but at a vastly delayed rate (and with a peak and decline rate different from normal humans owing to all the stuff they got shot up with during initiation, probably). Of course, you also have individuals like Dante who as far as anyone knows can kick virtually any enemy's poo poo in despite being over 1,000 years old.

I'd think "aging" would be a chapter-by-chapter basis thing with the understanding that pretty much every Astartes will die violently before they die of old age, aside from Chapters whose gene seed suggests indefinite lifespan (possibly Salamanders and successors given Vulkan's immortality, possibly Blood Angels and successors given Dante's age and vitality).

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Baron Bifford posted:

Which novels touch upon the Emperor's earliest dealings with the Mechanicum? I always wondered why the Emperor put up with their weird beliefs. Wouldn't it have been wiser to convert the tech-priests to the ways of science while they were still limited to Mars, before they grew into a massive galaxy-spanning organization by the Great Crusade?

As was said above, Mechanicum and to a lesser extent Titanicus provide insight, but my impression is that the Void Dragon had been loving with the minds of the percusors to the Mechanicum for a while before the Emperor came on the scene (which is funny, considering that legends suggest the Emperor was the one who sealed it on Mars), so the cult of the Mechanicum was already effectively established and he just stepped into the role.

Or maybe the Emperor purposely sealed it on Mars so it would send the scientists into a technoreligious fervor, developing the concept of the Omnissiah, which the Emperor would later claim to be :tinfoil:

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

On a positive note, for those of you who didn't know, Amazon added some purported release dates:

The Unremembered Empire (HH, Dan Abnett) - 2/18/14
:siren:The Talon of Horus (ADB) - 4/1/14:siren: (This is his new Black Legion series)
Scars (HH, Chris Wraight) - 5/6/2014

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

berzerkmonkey posted:

Well, that's essentially how they explain away new versions of vehicles based on a particular chassis. "Hey look - we found an STC that allows us to turn this tractor into a plasma-spewing death machine! Hooray!"

Well, you've got to have some potent equipment if you're going to harvest...Khorne-fields :c00l:

(And yes, I know there's a short story about Khorne worshipers on an agricultural world).

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

VanSandman posted:

Think Abaddon, or the unnamed Warsmith in Storm of Iron.

Unnamed no more!

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Barban_Falk (Spoilers for Angel Exterminatus).

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Demiurge4 posted:

There's plenty of references to the Dark Mechanicum being in control of maintenance of the Golden Throne, and all the implications that has.

I've never heard that angle before, can you point to some instances?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

The people in the Trad Games WH40k thread have been posting stuff about the new SM Codex and fluff changes, and this is what they had to say so far:

NTRabbit posted:

This is the first time I've read a lot of the 40k era SM fluff myself, rather than hearing about it second hand, but it seems like they've made a few changes, such as:
  • Black Templars no longer number in the hundred thousands, instead having a normal number of marines split into their irregular crusades. It even says the entire chapter occasionally assembles as one for a single mission, which I recall being an event which never happens because the true scope of the chapter would terrify the Inquisition into action

• Vulkan survived the drop site massacre, and debated the Codex with the Smurf King before getting an exemption for the already smaller than a chapter Salamanders, and after that he's not mentioned again.

• Khan no longer disappeared chasing Dark Eldar into the webway, he vanished chasing a "mighty enemy across the galaxy". Instead, a later chapter master disappeared chasing the Dark Eldar.

Granted this may not all be new, but it seems new to me

Bionic Psyker posted:

Black Templars also don't have (Pyro note: I think that's supposed to be "hate") all psykers anymore (it's a common misconception!) and would be open to the idea of librarians if the emperor sees fit to bless the chapter with them again.

:catbert:

ADB needs to go slap whoever wrote the SM Codex.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

One Legged Cat posted:

On the other hand, since The Templars were founded as a reaction to Guilliman imposing chapter limits, then it would be rather interesting if the Templars were secretly keeping higher-than-allowed numbers despite the official orders. Or was that speculation suggesting that the Templars' numbers are [i]smaller[\i] than previously estimated?

The fluff up until now has strongly suggested that the Templars have tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of Marines, with their separate crusades a ploy to hide their true numbers. If what people are saying about the SM Codex is true, the Templars are no longer any stronger than your average chapter.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I know this is the wood pulp spacemans thread as opposed to the plastic spacemans thread, but Forgeworld recently showed off Ferrus Manus' model and I thought it was rad:

Although I wonder, wasn't there something about Ferrus Manus' head in one of the books that implied that the head was still alive?

Maybe if they advance the timeline, Ferrus Manus' head will be rescued and put into a super-dreadnought of his own design, and he will purge his Legion and their world out of shame at what they have become just like the Night Haunter and the Iron Warriors did :black101:

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

For those of you that really liked Wrath of Iron, Hammer and Bolter vol 1 has another short Iron Hands story by Chris Wraight. It's called "Flesh" and touches on most of the same themes.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

VanSandman posted:

This is absolutely true. Note, though, that it is considered passé to make the skulls scream all the time.

The skulls only ever sing hymns to the Emperor's glory. Why would they do anything else?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

There's also the occasional Exterminatus on a planet that's been discovered to be exporting skulls touched up with plaster.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

With all this Alpha Legion talk, I wonder how funny it might be to have a short story or something where their incredible planning and infiltration skills just...go awry. Nothing works. Maybe they failed to account for a crucial variable, maybe Tzeentch wakes up one day and decides that "just as planned" means "gently caress with an Alpha Legion warband today", but a comedy of errors ensues to make sure whatever they intended to do, fails utterly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Nephilm posted:

Horus holds a one way conversation with his polished skull in a bad short story.

I haven't actually read the story itself, but I remember someone else's account suggested that the head was still intact. Is that not true?

Also re: primarch immortality and the interpretation of Horus's death, my impression is that the primary significance of what the Emperor did to Horus was that it utterly obliterated his soul beyond all recovery. Even if Horus had a bog-standard human soul, rather than being a fragment of the Emperor's soul / a daemon prince bound to a material shell / a little bit of both, it would have still been a strong maneuver in that it denied Horus's soul to the Warp, preventing the Chaos gods from taking it and refashioning Horus if they so wished - whether that would be into an eternally suffering Chaos beast or a daemon prince.

It doesn't preclude the other theories I've seen in this thread, but given that the Emperor knows more about Chaos than he ever told his sons and that he had both the opportunity and the power, he probably was focused on making sure Horus was never able to return, which may have resulted in severe overkill compared to what it might take to kill a primarch under "normal" circumstances.