Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
It looks like you showed that debt who's boss. You hammered it down at quite a rate. You must have straightened out a lot of other stuff to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Yeah - starting to use YNAB to track and reduce my spending was a big help but I was really lucky that a lot of other things fell into place and helped me knock it down at a really fast rate. Excited to start building up some actual savings for the first time in my life and watch number go up instead of down.

Jato fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Oct 5, 2019

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Jato posted:

Today is a good day. After many failed attempts at planning and budgeting and then finally getting my poo poo together over the past year - for the first time in my adult life I am debt free!

Outstanding!

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Started a new job and moved to a new city two months ago but have been traveling and hadn't had time to sit down and really go over the new finances until this weekend. Even with my rent doubling in the new city, with the new salary alone (not counting the bonus and equity), I've still got the entirety of my old salary's budget to play with so I'm throwing all the extra into my last outstanding loan so I can be completely debt free by mid/late 2020!

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 14, 2019

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Jato posted:

Today is a good day. After many failed attempts at planning and budgeting and then finally getting my poo poo together over the past year - for the first time in my adult life I am debt free!

Congratulations my friend! You put in a concentrated and disciplined effort and the results are yours! Well deserved comrade!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Had to borrow $5k out of my savings account in the first half of this year to pay for some unexpectedly large expenses, and today I did the math and realized I'm on track to have that much money put back into savings by year's end.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

:toot:

I hope to have this licked by the end of next year. I'd have had a much better curve for the first three months but the animals ate up around $1700.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

Overwhelming millions every day

Congratulations, that's amazing!

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
At the age of 35 I have finally managed to max out my TSP contributions for the very first time. With two months to spare! (I don't get any matching :\ )

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

overdesigned posted:

At the age of 35 I have finally managed to max out my TSP contributions for the very first time. With two months to spare! (I don't get any matching :\ )

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Made my last student loan payment today.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
The past couple of years have felt like it's been nearly impossible to get any improvements. The previous year I had massive tax bills based on other higher earning year. After struggling to get money to pay down floating rate debt my tax return had the government owing me a lot of money. So much that most of this years tax has been paid in advance.

I ended up having an uptick in income. So in the past 12 months I went from -$33k to +$22k. Put $21k into investments and installed solar panels on my house. Including principle payments on the mortgage I ended up $104k ahead over the last year excluding any investment gains. A good outcome but it's been painful the whole way.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Liquid Communism posted:

:hellyeah:

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction
My wife and I both had a ton of school debt and personal debts (school loans, credit cards, personal loans for furnishing our first house, medical bills before we both got insurance, equallying easily over 75k) and I just got the final commitment on our 2nd house. We got a foreclosure the first time around and it was a very tiny starter home, but with a crapload of sweat equity and us both learning to literally become bob villa on everything and penny pinching we finally get to enjoy more than a 1 bedroom 1 bathroom house and my daughter finally gets her own room.

After selling our house and the downpayment on our next house, we are basically debt free, and will finally have some savings in the bank.

It's a very modest house but I'm proud of being able to persevere through the tough times my wife and I went through that led to this point. I will enjoy having a net worth!

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Yuzenn posted:

My wife and I both had a ton of school debt and personal debts (school loans, credit cards, personal loans for furnishing our first house, medical bills before we both got insurance, equallying easily over 75k) and I just got the final commitment on our 2nd house. We got a foreclosure the first time around and it was a very tiny starter home, but with a crapload of sweat equity and us both learning to literally become bob villa on everything and penny pinching we finally get to enjoy more than a 1 bedroom 1 bathroom house and my daughter finally gets her own room.

After selling our house and the downpayment on our next house, we are basically debt free, and will finally have some savings in the bank.

It's a very modest house but I'm proud of being able to persevere through the tough times my wife and I went through that led to this point. I will enjoy having a net worth!
This kicks rear end! Great work!

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Reached $100,000 in my superannuation (Aus. equivalent of 401k) this week.

I'm 32 so bit behind others, but definitely above average, so I'm happy.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

CelestialScribe posted:

Reached $100,000 in my superannuation (Aus. equivalent of 401k) this week.

I'm 32 so bit behind others, but definitely above average, so I'm happy.

Well done!

Do you work for a government entity? If so, you may find that they offer a co-contribution that matches you above the 9.5% level.

Otherwise, if you want to increase your super, remember that you can do post-tax contributions to top it up to $25k and claim the difference in tax between your marginal rate and the 15% back at tax time. Your unused portion of the cap also now rolls forwards for up to 5 years.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

Bolstering national faith

Overwhelming millions every day

Yuzenn posted:

drat right, nobody can ever take that away from you! This is such a great story; I'm so happy for you guys :)

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Nam Taf posted:

Well done!

Do you work for a government entity? If so, you may find that they offer a co-contribution that matches you above the 9.5% level.

Otherwise, if you want to increase your super, remember that you can do post-tax contributions to top it up to $25k and claim the difference in tax between your marginal rate and the 15% back at tax time. Your unused portion of the cap also now rolls forwards for up to 5 years.

Nah just the straight 9.5% for me. I'm contributing a further 5.5% on top of that though, so 15% overall.

It's hard finding guides for super because the calculators are super conservative, and most of the data is on what the "average" balance is, rather than what the balance should be.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

CelestialScribe posted:

Nah just the straight 9.5% for me. I'm contributing a further 5.5% on top of that though, so 15% overall.

It's hard finding guides for super because the calculators are super conservative, and most of the data is on what the "average" balance is, rather than what the balance should be.

Make sure you claim that 5.5% as concessional contributions at tax time. You’ll need to submit a form before you claim your tax to ensure your super org converts it to concessional contributions. Give your super org a call and they can step you through it.

Regarding estimates, you could reasonably calculate your own super at retirement if you keep up donations as per now (or adjust for inflation), then inflate out your current required expenses and work out how you’re going as a result. It’ll make a whole load of assumptions but give you a good baseline nonetheless.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Nice!

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
With today’s paycheck I’m worth $100k :toot:

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

tumblr hype man posted:

With today’s paycheck I’m worth $100k :toot:

Congrats! Love the nice round milestones

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Not going to wait for the year to wrap up to feel good about this rolling 12 months. This is the year that I finally finished crawling out of the financial mistakes that I made in the mid-2000s and started sprinting. I hadn't realized that my NW went up so much this year.

For context, I was house poor with a 5 person family and a single income since 2008 and kept on making dumb-with-money decisions until about 2012 when we started knuckling down. A combination of smart budgeting and strong increases in income got me to 2019.

- Paid off all non-mortgage debt (~$41K walking into 2019)
- Maxed my 401k for the first time in my life. Long stretches of 0% contributions and in recent years just getting my match
- Saving 10% of take-home pay
- Took my family to Greece this summer to see my Father before he passes (he's still holding on strong at 89!) and to give my kids exposure to family that they never knew they had
- Took my wife on a last-minute surprise trip to Nashville for her Birthday
- Being comfortable and no longer stressing about grabbing an unplanned dinner with the family and treating ourselves to things I would've freaked out before

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Awesome man. Great job

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I’ve dramatically reduced eating at restaurants over the last month.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I’ve dramatically reduced eating at restaurants over the last month.

Way to go. That’s a constant struggle for me that I hope to finally kick in 2020 (do we have a 2020 goal thread yet??)

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Doccykins posted:

Congrats! :toot:

still inching my own way to the six figgies club

:jiggled: :pcgaming: :pcgaming: :jiggled:

tumblr hype man posted:

With today's paycheck I'm worth $100k :toot:

:hfive: tenth-of-a-guillotine buddy!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I took a look at my reports and noticed I'd also scratched into the $100k club, back in October, but only because of real estate equity giving me an $11.2k boost. Still, it's kinda cool to see :shobon:

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Dec 28, 2019

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
This thread has a lot a awesome wins recently. :toot: That first $100k is definitely the hardest.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
My wife has been working part time for a small company she likes, making peanuts. I make enough money for us and the kids to live on,v and she's been the primary caregiver.

Well the kids are older now (vastly cheaper childcare), her work has a huge project with a totally immovable deadline at the end of the calendar year which my wife is completely essential on, and the local labor market is great right now.

Long story short, her income is thinking to go from the 6k she made last year to well over 50k. At the same company. That does include going to full time, but including some well defined bonuses it works out to an hourly raise of like 16 an hour more than she was making.

As a result, we should be able to pay off our student loans this year.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Uncle Enzo posted:

My wife has been working part time for a small company she likes, making peanuts. I make enough money for us and the kids to live on,v and she's been the primary caregiver.

Well the kids are older now (vastly cheaper childcare), her work has a huge project with a totally immovable deadline at the end of the calendar year which my wife is completely essential on, and the local labor market is great right now.

Long story short, her income is thinking to go from the 6k she made last year to well over 50k. At the same company. That does include going to full time, but including some well defined bonuses it works out to an hourly raise of like 16 an hour more than she was making.

As a result, we should be able to pay off our student loans this year.

That's amazing, congratulations!

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club
Instead of paying 178.49 for my student loan, I threw $400 towards it this month.
Also, I had 1600 saved up because I thought I was moving out, but turns out not, so today I booked a week long vacation. I know I should have put it towards my student loans but I have worked non stop last year, and the past 2 years had a lot of lovely things that happen, I feel burnt out. The fact is, I am PAYING THIS in "cash" (is cash even a thing anymore, I have the digital numbers in my account) means no credit card debts and I still have a 2 months worth of expanses covered. Whooo!!!

DrNewton fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 14, 2020

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

DrNewton posted:

Instead of paying 178.49 for my student loan, I threw $400 towards it this month.
Also, I had 1600 saved up because I thought I was moving out, but turns out so today I booked a week long vacation. I know I should have put it towards my student loans but I have worked non stop last year, and the past 2 years had a lot of lovely things that happen, I feel burnt out. The fact is, I am PAYING THIS in "cash" (is cash even a thing anymore, I have the digital numbers in my account) means no credit card debts and I still have a 2 months worth of expanses covered. Whooo!!!

Self care is a totally acceptable use of financial resources, friend!

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Self care is a totally acceptable use of financial resources, friend!

Exactly. I will come back refreshed, ready to tackle my student loans and work my butt off.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
As of today my net worth reached $250,000 :unsmith:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My emergency fund hit 5 digits.

Allocating part of that budget into debt now.

:goleft:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

5.36% raise and a $19,000 bonus today. Plus my 401k match went in today for 2019.