Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Potrzebie posted:

Denmark awaits you! -0.5% for a 10 year fixed is a thing there.

what the hell how does this work?

i remember hearing from a family friend about some very different structures in swiss mortgages

Guinness posted:

Also just signed closing docs on a refi, going from 3.875 to 2.69 on a 30 yr fixed. No points, ~$2500 in non prepaid costs. Brings the monthly down almost $500 and saves $150k over the life the loan. :hellyeah:

These rates are bananas, just last summer when I signed the original mortgage I thought 3.875 was crazy good.

hell yeah brother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I’m guessing that’s after the bank gets some sort of central bank subsidy? Keep the money flowing and the banks don’t give a poo poo as long as they get through half point?

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

TraderStav posted:

I’m guessing that’s after the bank gets some sort of central bank subsidy? Keep the money flowing and the banks don’t give a poo poo as long as they get through half point?

Negative yield on bonds and savings accounts plus a lassiez faire approach to certain risk buffers as I understand it. Also fees, that are distinct from interest for reasons.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
I passed the certified financial planner exam!!! They still won't give me the CFP marks until I meet the 6000 hour experience requirement, because apparently posting on here doesn't count as "relevant experience" according to those fuckers at the CFP board. Whatever, jerks.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

That's awesome, congrats

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

moana posted:

I passed the certified financial planner exam!!! They still won't give me the CFP marks until I meet the 6000 hour experience requirement, because apparently posting on here doesn't count as "relevant experience" according to those fuckers at the CFP board. Whatever, jerks.

Nice! I also really hope you actually submitted your hours posting here.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Can you do an online seminar got an hour with all of us in attendant and count it as 300 hours? Like a mass wedding, only less bad with money and life.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

SpelledBackwards posted:

Can you do an online seminar got an hour with all of us in attendant and count it as 300 hours? Like a mass wedding, only less bad with money and life.

Maybe for moana, what about us?

moana posted:

Congratulatons!

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I started this year with about 40k in debt. I'm looking at ending this year with about 21k while contributing 10% pre-tax to my 401k and will max my 2020 IRA in February 2021. I guess this isn't incremental lol.
I'm following the reddit guide so next will be increasing my emergency fund starting in March. A big improvement is I'm doing yearly planning now vs when I was month to month for over a decade.

Also my company finally hired a UX researcher, and I was the only one on my design team to indicate a desire to move into the field, so I'm really pumped to be trained by her because she was at IBM in their AI division and is insanely talented.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 19, 2020

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

cheese eats mouse posted:

I started this year with about 40k in debt. I'm looking at ending this year with about 21k while contributing 10% pre-tax to my 401k and will max my 2020 IRA in February 2021. I guess this isn't incremental lol.
I'm following the reddit guide so next will be increasing my emergency fund starting in March. A big improvement is I'm doing yearly planning now vs when I was month to month for over a decade.

This is a really awesome leap forward. Sounds like you really got your finances under control instead of letting them control you.

Whose going to tell em? :v:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Had to turn off my 401k contribution for the rest of the year....

... because I'd miscalculated and was running up against the max contribution. :v:

Something to be said for getting a raise and just not changing your lifestyle.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Nice!

Is over-contribution possible? They're handled by payroll department, who need to inform the IRS of your exact contributions, so they usually do the extra Molecule of Work to automatically stop contributions after hitting the max.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Nice!

Is over-contribution possible? They're handled by payroll department, who need to inform the IRS of your exact contributions, so they usually do the extra Molecule of Work to automatically stop contributions after hitting the max.

Mine just stops at the limit but not every HR is smart as I understand it. If you change jobs you have to watch it yourself though.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

Had to turn off my 401k contribution for the rest of the year....

... because I'd miscalculated and was running up against the max contribution. :v:

Something to be said for getting a raise and just not changing your lifestyle.

Even if you go over it's like 1 form that you fill out to claw it back. :toot: on hitting your max.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

spwrozek posted:

Mine just stops at the limit but not every HR is smart as I understand it. If you change jobs you have to watch it yourself though.

You've also got to be careful if you've got matching contributions -- my employer specifically warns us to make sure to get the timing right since they automatically cut off contributions when you hit the max, so then you'll be contributing $0 for the rest of the year, and you therefore won't get a 401k match for the rest of the year.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

P.D.B. Fishsticks posted:

You've also got to be careful if you've got matching contributions -- my employer specifically warns us to make sure to get the timing right since they automatically cut off contributions when you hit the max, so then you'll be contributing $0 for the rest of the year, and you therefore won't get a 401k match for the rest of the year.

Your employer could do a true up if they loved you. :v: Ask about it if you have a feedback mechanism.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

P.D.B. Fishsticks posted:

We get matched once a year in February so it doesn't matter.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
My wife and I had to replace a broken fridge, and since we've always hated our lovely (inaccurate temperatures) oven and the dishwasher was ready to go, we bought all new appliances. It felt being able to pick it out and have it all delivered.

I installed the dishwasher myself because gently caress paying someone $150 to connect 2 hoses and a couple wires.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Nice!

If you work at the same place all year, in my experience, they ensure that you don't over-contribute. If you switch jobs during the year I think it can happen.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I paid of my student loans this week. I got YNAB and committed to a budget 2 years ago, and since then have allotted 2-3x my required monthly payment, and have now paid it off years faster than I had originally planned to. A few years prior, i couldn't even afford the monthly payments and was on a deferred plan, accruing interest - which felt really bad. So this is very liberating. Coincidentally, my step mom died this year, having survived my father, and so I inherited a small chunk of money (my father spent his last 10 years in assisted living due to alzheimer's with the help of Social Services, so it's not like a big payout). I'm trying to figure out if it makes more sense to invest that all in index funds and continue to pay rent, or to see about putting a down payment on a house.

Either way, my plan is to swap my future student loan payment allotment into investing - which is something I have never been able to do, and am excited to learn about.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Captain Lavender posted:

I paid of my student loans this week. I got YNAB and committed to a budget 2 years ago, and since then have allotted 2-3x my required monthly payment, and have now paid it off years faster than I had originally planned to. A few years prior, i couldn't even afford the monthly payments and was on a deferred plan, accruing interest - which felt really bad. So this is very liberating. Coincidentally, my step mom died this year, having survived my father, and so I inherited a small chunk of money (my father spent his last 10 years in assisted living due to alzheimer's with the help of Social Services, so it's not like a big payout). I'm trying to figure out if it makes more sense to invest that all in index funds and continue to pay rent, or to see about putting a down payment on a house.

Either way, my plan is to swap my future student loan payment allotment into investing - which is something I have never been able to do, and am excited to learn about.

Condolences for your loss and what you’ve gone through, but this is an awesome success story. Way to go!

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I recently got a new job that pays basically double my old job and pays me weekly. I’m not budgeting but definitely have cut down on my extra spending, and now no longer have to worry about having money in the bank for loans and am digging myself out of $2300 in credit card debt a week at a time, now down to $1700 and shrinking. By this time next year if all goes well I can think about moving out of my parents house!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Coffee And Pie posted:

I recently got a new job that pays basically double my old job and pays me weekly. I’m not budgeting but definitely have cut down on my extra spending, and now no longer have to worry about having money in the bank for loans and am digging myself out of $2300 in credit card debt a week at a time, now down to $1700 and shrinking. By this time next year if all goes well I can think about moving out of my parents house!

Hell yeah. That is awesome.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Coffee And Pie posted:

:wow: Good work duder

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Captain Lavender posted:

I paid of my student loans this week.

:wow: That's a big accomplishment, congrats!

Coffee And Pie posted:

I recently got a new job that pays basically double my old job
Awesome! I still recommend budgeting so you know for sure you're not wasting money. It sucks, but the earlier and younger you get a hold on this stuff the more money you will have down the road.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

401k hit a :c00l: million yesterday

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

hell yeah brother

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

SlapActionJackson posted:

Noice.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Awesome!

I’ve got some catch up to do. My combined 401k and Roth IRA hit >$100k the other day :toot:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

:c00l: hell yeah

Cacafuego posted:

Awesome!

I’ve got some catch up to do. My combined 401k and Roth IRA hit >$100k the other day :toot:

The first hundred is the hardest slog, good job. :toot: It gets easier from here.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Cacafuego posted:

A hundred K means you're well on your way. :respek:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

The first hundred is the hardest slog, good job. :toot: It gets easier from here.

when i was first saving people would say this and i was like there is no way in hell that is true BUT IT IS

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

when i was first saving people would say this and i was like there is no way in hell that is true BUT IT IS

I gave the biggest :rolleyes: as well when I heard that staring at my like $12k account. It's comically true. Between compound returns and just getting to the point of saving being a habit not an afterthought once you go past $100k it starts adding up quickly. Every year the market doubles your IRA contribution (basically, 6% avg return).

Remember when the next recession hits just log the hell off your brokerage account. Your share count isn't going down unless you sell.

(obviously this is all dependent on being able to save in the first place.)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Hot drat, how'd you fit so much in there? Does your employer allow contributions up to the ~50k employee + employer cap? I've maxed my 401k every year of my career but due to the less than generous employer portion that doesn't even have me CLOSE to a million, grrr

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Hot drat, how'd you fit so much in there? Does your employer allow contributions up to the ~50k employee + employer cap? I've maxed my 401k every year of my career but due to the less than generous employer portion that doesn't even have me CLOSE to a million, grrr

Some folks just roll their IRA's and 401k's into their current job 401k's constantly rather than leaving a string of accounts around various places. Do that for 10-20 years and your whole retirement savings is in your current jobs 401k.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Unfortunately, this plan does not allow post-tax contributions. Employer matching definitely plays a significant part in overall account growth, though, and this plan does offer decent matching. The matching will be worth a bit under $10K this year, so it's like a 50% boost in money flowing in to the account.

H110Hawk posted:

Some folks just roll their IRA's and 401k's into their current job 401k's constantly rather than leaving a string of accounts around various places. Do that for 10-20 years and your whole retirement savings is in your current jobs 401k.

It's mostly this. 20+ years with the same company, 15+ with maxed out contributions means it all ended up in one pot with lots of time for compound growth to do its thing.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Unfortunately, this plan does not allow post-tax contributions. Employer matching definitely plays a significant part in overall account growth, though, and this plan does offer decent matching. The matching will be worth a bit under $10K this year, so it's like a 50% boost in money flowing in to the account.

It's mostly this. 20+ years with the same company, 15+ with maxed out contributions means it all ended up in one pot with lots of time for compound growth to do its thing.

Same here, my wife have been with the same companies for 20+ years and although we were slow to start and stupid at times it became automatic eventually. It took us by surprise when I noticed we had $600k each in 401k.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Mad Wack posted:

another year, and things are chugging along nicely up 62% - we got a much bigger than expected tax bill after we married but luckily we had a big emergency fund to absorb it, also we were able to save for our wedding so we didn't go into debt but still had the wedding we wanted, of course all of this is somewhat muted by the market taking a huge dump too but we're 30 & 35 years from retirement respectively, so whatever.

normally i just update yearly on this but we hit a really nice milestone this week, for the first time ever our net worth is above 500K and we're up 40.6% from this post from march this year.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I used to be pretty bad with money. I had no credit history up until recently, bc I was taught that credit cards are evil, etc. and I didn't understand how it all worked. I also severely hosed up my taxes in a really embarrassing way for several years and owed 10k to the irs in 2016.

4 years later, I think this month is my last payment to the irs. So this coming spring I'll finally be owed money on my tax return again. And today I got my first actual number credit score after having a secured discover card for 7 months. 749!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I bet it feels good to get out under that weight of IRS payments, nice!