Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!
I recently picked up a bunch of AD&D 1e books for really cheap at a flea sale (Monster Manual I & II, Player's Handbook, Unearthed Arcana and Deities and Demigods all for ten bucks, then I ordered an extra PH and DMG). Finding them was what I needed to rekindle my (and coincedentally my friends') love of D&D, and we've decided to run a campaign.

I've always been the group DM, and I've DM'd several campaigns of 3/3.5 that were months long, a few games of 4th and a few one-offs in other systems, but I've never DM'd a game of 1e or 2e. I really don't want to ask at rpg.net; so are there any considerations or common house rules I should be maybe looking into as a newcomer to AD&D?

So far I've only houseruled that there aren't any gender restrictions to strength. I've also considered just following Race restrictions to class, but not Race class level restrictions, but I'm unsure how that balances. That and the initiative system seems a little crazy so I might just have both sides roll a d20 or something. Any other advice would be completely awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

Awesome thanks I'll check everything else (and holy crap that initiative system makes so much more sense).

For char gen, I think I'm gonna use my old method (when not using point buy) of: 8 sets of 4d6, drop the lowest d6 and the two lowest sets, any roll of one is an automatic reroll. If the stats really sucked I just bumped em by one or two here or there. It generally turns out okay, with most everyone getting at least one 18.

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

Thanks everyone for the quick and informative replies, I really appreciate it. We will be sandboxing it, and I've already got a campaign idea going and the world map all drawn up. Everyone rolled up their characters the other day (one person even managed to roll a 18/00 for their fighter). I'll let you all know how the first session goes.

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

homullus posted:

. . . with a witness? The chance of 18/00 is really, really, really low.

Yeah with me and one other player standing right there watching.

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

I just wanted to thank everyone for their initial help with 1e. We've played three sessions now and everyone has had a lot of fun with the system, I even mostly figured out initiative and combat as written thanks to ADDICT. It's also forced some of my players who are very used to relying on skill rolls and checks into more creative solutions to problems (a highlight was in how they defeated a fire-vent trap that was activated by motion, one players suggested they move the iron chest from the previous room over it and use the chest as a bridge, I allowed it). I'm sure we'll go back to a more modern system eventually but we're having a lot of fun with this and I'm having more fun DM'ing this than 3rd or 4th (I even bought the deluxe reprints when the chance came up at a con recently along with Fiend Folio). The only system that's beaten this in fun for me was Paranoia.

Also the random dungeon generator is the best drat thing ever and I have no idea why they didn't include it in subsequent editions.

• Locked thread