Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soggy Cereal
Jan 8, 2011

Finally, some attention to non-3e/4e!

Labyrinth Lord is probably the purest D&D that ever D&D'd, so it's a good game for that. It's quirky, has odd art, and emulates a cleaned-up Basic. If someone ever complains that my own games aren't "real D&D," I might switch over to Labyrinth Lord.

Dungeon Crawl Classics seems like the New Thing and it does look pretty crazy in a good way. It would be difficult to run a long, serious game with it but it looks perfect for the short gonzo sessions that most nerds are familiar with. The thing preventing me from getting it is that I don't know how much it differs from the playtest version, which had some things in it that bothered me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soggy Cereal
Jan 8, 2011

With regard to getting rid of thieves and clerics, I think it would be cool to do something with the concept of classes based on story role. So the Fighter would be the up and coming hero, the sort of Luke Skywalker with thief things, whereas the Wizard would be Kenobi or Yoda with cleric things. I think it would definitely help to introduce people to roleplaying in a simple way they can understand. Plus you could have a sort of genealogical saga, where the Wizard dies about half way through, the Fighter gets a Hero's Journey type boon from it, and eventually becomes the Wizard training his own Fighter. Possible connection to JRPGs where the Fighter levels up into a Paladin.

In my own homebrew heartbreaker dilly, the classes are
Humble Man, the Hobbits, peasants, curious scholars, etc. Usually works out the way halflings do, with less capability but more luck and less temptation.
Fallen Man, the Aragorns, John Carters and other such types who are more skilled but also more easily tempted.
Sorcerer, the Gandalfs, Dumbledores, Klarkash-tons, who pay sanity for spells. If you're a good guy (more restricted) Sorcerer the insanity penalties can be turned into muttering, making fireworks, talking to animals, and general harmless weirdness.

Soggy Cereal
Jan 8, 2011

Have you tried The Big Brown Book? It's a 0e retroclone with an emphasis on the wargame aspects.

• Locked thread