Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LincolnSmash
May 23, 2011

Six Glistening Black Eyes

OtspIII posted:

Reading about West Marches made me really want to try a good hexcrawl sandbox some time. The group I play in uses their scheduling system (which works really well), but we're way more megadungeon-centric. I'd love to hear more on the topic from Whitemage.

One solid retroclone not mentioned so far is ACKS/Adventurer, Conqueror, King, which is something between a retroclone (it uses Basic's core rules, although it does a few things like killing descending AC that are much needed) and a splatbook, in that it does a ton to flesh out kingdom management and general economics and make it much more gamey.

The other nice thing about ACKS is it actually includes small (but game-changing) rules that are mentioned in old editions of D&D, but left out of retro-clones like Labyrinth Lord, and especially Swords & Wizardry.

IMO, it's a little more accurate than the other clones/spin-offs in terms of fidelity to the basic procedures of old editions even though it changes some other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LincolnSmash
May 23, 2011

Six Glistening Black Eyes
I've said it elsewhere, but S&W is the LBBs, through a glass darkly.

• Locked thread