Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Soggy Cereal posted:

Dungeon Crawl Classics seems like the New Thing and it does look pretty crazy in a good way. It would be difficult to run a long, serious game with it but it looks perfect for the short gonzo sessions that most nerds are familiar with. The thing preventing me from getting it is that I don't know how much it differs from the playtest version, which had some things in it that bothered me.

I'm currently running a DCCRPG campaign, and yeah, it's not easy to run a fully fledged campaign. The big problem is that DCCRPG characters are, on a whole, glass cannons; easily able to give a pounding to any monsters they're facing, but just as easily able to go down in one or two blows. On average, even with me pulling my punches a bit, my group's was losing a character per session up until recently (though that's mostly due to two of them being new to RPG's in general, and getting split up in combat.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Yeah, pretty much. Outside of that, there isn't much else in the way of pretentiousness, though, at least compared to other OSR products (*cough*Secret Fire*cough*). Really, your enjoyment of DCCRPG will really come down to whether you like CHARTS or not (which I do).

Spincut posted:

So there's a New Year's sale going on at DriveThru RPG. Does anyone have opinions on Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea?
What's a good retroclone to start with if you've never played something very old-school before? I see that Crypts & Things is mentioned highly, why is that?

I haven't played AS&S, but my brother has, and he liked it, so a tentative thumbs up?

As for Crypts & Things, it's a hack of Swords & Wizardry based around emulating the Swords & Sorcery type novels that Conan and his ilk popularized. It makes some pretty drastic changes to do so, like pooling Cleric and Wizard spells into one class (Magician), giving all classes backstab (because you're all rogues, you see), and changing up how HP works, to name some of the more drastic changes.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Libertad! posted:

In terms of popular/well-known retroclones I haven't covered, there's Adventurer Conqueror King System (which I do not want to cover due to pro-GamerGate stuff), Dark/er Dungeons, Microlite74, Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea, Beyond the Wall (my current project in writing), Crypts & Things, and Blood & Treasure.

Thoughts on which one might be best to cover next?

You should take a look at Crypts & Things, since that has a really cool magic system, and is getting a new edition soon. I'll second Dark(er) Dungeons, too.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

So has anyone picked up Peril on the Purple Planet for DCC? I picked up the huge-rear end core book yesterday, and was wondering if I should also pick up a boxed set I'll never play.

e: What are the good 0-level adventures?

As far as the 0-level adventures go, the one in the back of the book is pretty good. Most people point to Sailors on the Starless Sea as the best, but I've yet to run it to confirm this. The 0-level adventure in the Chained Coffin box set was pretty good, too.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Since today is Gary Gygax day, I wanted to ask if anyone has any strong opinions on Castles & Crusades, one of the last games EGG wrote for. By the time I got to scanning through I was already fairly cynical about LFQW and Fighters that only ever basic attack, and the whole SIEGE skillcheck thing felt a little too convoluted for what was essentially "let's try to convert roll-under attributes to an ascending system", but maybe there was something in there that's worth looking at.

It's okay for what it is, which is one of the first systems to try and replicate an older version of D&D. Nothing particularly special about it beside that. Also, the authors really like their cheesecake art.

• Locked thread