Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009
I can't really find any decently sized pictures of the box art, but the Maximo series was pretty great and challenging

I don't know how underrated they are exactly, but I really don't hear anyone talking about them or even mentioning them that much any more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

This game was loving awesome. It's a third person brawler inspired by Streets of Rage and Final Fight based on the 1979 cult classic movie of the same name, developed by Rockstar. The fighting system was so fluid and simple, I'm amazed no one tried to copy it since then. The whole game is a labour of love from the developers and they really tried to capture the spirit of the movie, I honestly can't praise it enough. There's a great LP on the archive here.

Great 3rd person shooter by Rebellion based on the 2000AD comics of the same name. It was part of the early wave of cover shooters, coming out after kill.switch and Operation Winback but before Gears of War. There's an LP of it here.

There's been bad Bond games throughout history, but there's been some great ones too. This game absolutely nails the Bond experience as well as any game has managed to. It's a FPS by Eurocom, who also made the PS2 version of Quantum of Solace, the N64 version of The World Is Not Enough, as well as the Goldeneye 007 remake.

This game is the epitome of :black101:. It's an FPS by Burnout developers Criterion which takes its cues from 80's action movies. Never before has firing an M60 felt this awesome. It's one of the best looking games on the system, it has the best gun sounds I've ever heard and literally everything explodes. It's pretty short but great fun while it lasts.

This game was really unlucky. Here's why. It's a 3rd person survival horror shooter with an over the shoulder aiming system starring a sarcastic protagonist with a bad haircut. Yes, it essentially plays very similarly to Resident Evil 4, and indeed they came out at roughly the same time. It's a shame Cold Fear is considered a bad rip off because it actually plays more like the old RE titles. It looks phenomenal, it has some genuine scary moments and it plays fairly well. Giragast is currently doing a great LP of this here.

Another FPS, but this one is pretty unique. It features an interesting item crafting system that allows you to use things you find in the field. Combining gas, a rag and a glass bottle makes a Molotov Cocktail for example. It's also extremely violent, somewhat reminiscent of Soldier of Fortune, and has a genuinely gripping story with some solid voice acting. Also Tom Baker is the antagonist. Not even joking.

I remember this being extremely controversial at the time. It was (wrongly) cited to be the inspiration for the murder of a 14 year old boy named Stefan Pakeerah by his 17 year old friend Warren LeBlanc. This led to certain high street retailers refusing to stock the game and it being banned in a few countries. It's a shame because the game itself is very good, being a 3rd person stealth game in which the protagonist has his execution sabotaged by a mysterious man, who forces him to kill his way through the streets of Carcer City in various gruesome ways under the pretense of helping him. However, the man is actually making a snuff film using footage from CCTV cameras placed throughout the city. If you can get a hold of it, give it a try.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Mark of Kri also featured an awesome combat system, basically you marked up to 3 targets with the right analog stick, these targets would have a corresponding controller button above their heads, pressing said button would make you target them seamlessly regardless of who you where facing. Easily one of the best combat systems I've ever seen for dealing with multiple enemies.

Since Elligible talked about Kri, I'll talk about its sequel.

Taking place several years after the first, this one served as both a sequel and a prequel, you used Rau's father and his best friend in the past and Rau and his sister in the present, combat and challenges remained, biggest difference was the couch co-op, both players went through completely different paths and had to help each other get through the stage before meeting up near the end, the A.I companion was also great if you had to go solo. Either way the encouraged replayability, Rau's sister also fought in a completely different way and her stealth mechanics where also very different.

Id highly recommend both titles, you can probably find both for super cheap.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Do Japanese-exclusive games really belong in this thread? A good number of us probably have never seen, heard of, or played these titles, and would never have had opportunity to underrate or overlook. Don't get me wrong, the Japanese titles mentioned here do sound interesting and all. It just seems like maybe that sort of thing should have its own thread.

For content,

Mega Man X8. After being soured on a few of the PS1 titles and seeing the bomb that was X7, X8 was pretty refreshing. A 2.5D return to form, really, and it even rectified a few of the issues I had with previous games. Don't have to collect the entire set to equip an armor part? What a concept! As the boxart makes evident, you've got three whole characters to choose from. X is the same as he ever was, with a good ol' Buster to lean on and basically no frills. Zero, as per usual, comes with a doublejump and a motherfucking lightsaber. Axl, the new blood from X7, wields rapidfire pistols and can hover. He's also got some weird neglected gimmick where he can copy the forms of literally just four common enemies. Each of the three reploids have their uses, and as such, you get to pick two for each stage. If you've ever liked Mega Man X and you can find this game, give it a try!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

But you may have seen it while looking around on the Internet, and considering now easy it is to play Japanese games, we might as well include it.

Anyways I'm glad night fire was mentioned. It had some fantastic same room multi as you can put in bots, and there are remote controlled tanks and helis you could use.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The Simple 2000 Series has some gems in it. I came across one of them, Zokusha King a while back.

It's this ridiculous "bosozoku" racing game where you choose one of several wild cars and race another guy. The only issue is the driving physics are weird, but sometimes opponents are stupid enough to ram into the civilian traffic roaming the streets. There were two sequels, and one of the games came out in Europe as Maxxed Out Racing.

Also, there's Double Shienryu which got released in Europe as Steel Dragon EX. It has two shmup games in it, Shienryu (which was also released on the Saturn and PSX, this is a more perfect port) and Shienryu Explosion, an original title.

And I can't list underrated PS2 games without mentioning this:

Initial D Special Stage is a port of version 2 of the arcade game, with a story mode and about 30 or so music tracks worth of bouncy Eurobeat music (some of them need to be unlocked through story mode). It also works with racing wheels, and the gameplay is quite solid. PCSX2 runs it well too, but on my end it sometimes slows down a bit.

edit: Nearly forgot Densha De Go! Final too:

It's probably the most accessible game in the series because it has options to make the painfully hard task of stopping at stations easier. Also, you don't have to always be EXACTLY on time like in the other games.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 14, 2012

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Radiata Stories

It was like a Suikoden game crossed with a Tales/Star Ocean game, gameplay wise. There were 176 recruitable NPCs, that roamed around the world on their own schedules. Battles took place in real time and started when you ran into monsters out in the field (you could see them, no random battles), and there was a lot of skill customization for your character (Jack). You could issue commands to your party members, like telling them to change attack formation, or use special abilities. Armors even changed your appearance.

The story branched into two distinct lines, each resulting in you joining a side of the major conflict, encouraging at least two playthroughs with New Game+ (you could keep your level, skills, NPC list, and some items). There was so much to see and do outside of the main storyline, though, that without a guide it would take a lot more to see everything (god help you if you wanted to recruit everybody). Clearing the game even let you keep on playing, unlocking an extra dungeon you can explore. There was even a little side-'romance' thing, where you could go date NPCs and get a little ending sequence where you watch fireworks together, if that's your thing.

Being a Tri-Ace game, it even had cameos from other games. Lenneth from Valkyrie Profile was a boss in the extra dungeon (she was a monster and I could not beat her). Gabriel Celeste shows up, too, and even has a goofy intro, where Jack notices his banana hammock and flees in terror. Some characters even had cameo costumes, like Jack getting Fayt's clothes from Star Ocean 3.

The most important part is that you can fight anybody by kicking them in the shins until they get pissed off enough. Even children could be fought, but they'd just call the guards on you.

Basically go play this game somehow if you like action-JRPGs.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

I take issue with that. Suikoden (5, at least) is a terrible game that's nothing like Radiata Stories, and gently caress everything about it. It's the most drawn-out, boring, cliche JRPG poo poo I've ever put myself through. It makes Final Fantasy look revolutionary. gently caress that game so hard. I tossed my copy in the fireplace after five+ hours of hoping it'd get better.

Radiata Stories on the other hand, is a fantastic game and I'm pleased to see it here. It's got a lot of charm one wouldn't expect from a JRPG, in that it's character's aren't brain-dead morons a la almost every other JRPG and anime ever.

\/\/ Oh, ...right. Sorry. I just had a really bad experience.

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 14, 2012

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Well, I meant Suikoden in the 100+ recruitable NPCs manner.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
Not many people invested in the GunCon2 for shooting games like Time Crisis and Vampire Night. However, one cheap game turns from decent to outstanding with a GunCon.

Starsky and Hutch came out roughly the same time that the Ben Stiller/Owen Wilson movie did, but was based on the original series rather than being a movie tie-in. The premise of the game is straightforward - a driving game where you played through a story of chasing bad guys. The chases had some awesome moments, even if they were scripted (think a way more exciting version of LA Noire's chases), but where the game really shined was as a co-op affair. In 2 player mode, player 1 drove the car using a controller, player 2 shoots at vehicles, obstacles, and powerups.

Unfortunately, none of my current TVs will work with the GunCon, so I've given the gun and the game away, but I wasted a ton of time with friends playing this way more awesome version of Lucky & Wild.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Deception 3: Dark Delusion

Really though, the whole "Deception" series is great (Tecmo's Deception for PSX, Kagero: Dark Deception, and Trapt), but this one is my favorite.

You're basically the lord of a manor that people want to infiltrate for various reasons, some want power, some want wealth, some want some type of personal vengeance against you.

You beat them all back with the power of traps, and special set-pieces in the trap rooms (electrified tables, buzz saws, iron maidens, ceiling fans :monocle:, etc.)

Bigger the combo, the better you do, the more power you accrue for upgrades and whatnot.

It's a criminally underrated and underappreciated series, at least by mainstream reviews, it has a pretty good following otherwise.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

rizuhbull posted:

I take issue with that. Suikoden (5, at least) is a terrible game that's nothing like Radiata Stories, and gently caress everything about it. It's the most drawn-out, boring, cliche JRPG poo poo I've ever put myself through. It makes Final Fantasy look revolutionary. gently caress that game so hard. I tossed my copy in the fireplace after five+ hours of hoping it'd get better.

Radiata Stories on the other hand, is a fantastic game and I'm pleased to see it here. It's got a lot of charm one wouldn't expect from a JRPG, in that it's character's aren't brain-dead morons a la almost every other JRPG and anime ever.

Hahaha, holy poo poo, did you turn that game on and the PS2 started belching flames and burned your house down and killed your dog or something?

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

ROADKILL

Every time there is one of these threads I bring this one up. Just combine the mission structure of GTA and the engine and controls of Twisted Metal in a Post Apocalyptic setting and you get Roadkill. The theme of the game is Don't Fear the Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult, they have radio stations just like GTA even a Car Talk knock off where they talk about weapons instead. Three huge cities, and when you hit a pedestrian they can get stuck in your wheel-well. That and it's literally $4 at Gamestop pick this up if anything I just said interests you, you won't be disappointed.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

If there was any game that would be hilariously fun to have a version of on a new console, it would be Urban Chaos: Riot Response which was an absolute gem.

Made by Rocksteady, if I recall correctly, it was essentially Judge Dredd: the Game. Sure, you might say it was quasi-facist in that it was just you, the heavily-militarised cops, against a gang of psychos taking control of a city in the midst of some serious riots (and the only female support roles were medics, not police or fire-fighters), but the fact that the baddies were screaming that they were going to kill you, yes you, John Mason, exactly you in particular out of all other people gave it a hilariously, almost Rockstar-kinda parody feel.

The gameplay was a gem, too. You had a riot shield - essentially made of a see-through version of whatever Cpt. America's shield was, 'cause you could stop loving RPGs with it and not get hurt - but every time it took damage, it got scuffed. So yeah, you could keep your shield up the whole time, but after a while you would be trying to guess where the enemies were from the direction you were getting pushed back from the bullets.

Also, a game which allows you to throw cleavers into people's heads, AND allows you to taser people until they burst into flames is always good. Best weapon was the fully-upgraded taser. At the end of the game you were essentially Emperor Palpetine, balsting people away with homing lightning. Apparently got a PC release, but I've never found it (alas, alas).

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I felt the opposite about Radiata, I absolutely despised and found it to be one of the worst RPGs I ever played, terrible characters, terrible battle system and one of the worst plots in JRPG history which is saying a lot, it was that point that I just dropped tri-ace from my always buy developers, they fell drat hard after the PS1.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, I wasn't a huge Radiata Stories fan either, but I didn't hate it that much. The battle system was unremarkable but decent, and I enjoyed exploring the city and other areas, finding NPCs to recruit. I thought the dialog writing was decent, although I agree the plot was pretty cliched. The same developers went on to make Radiant Historia for the DS which is a FAR better game, although pretty drat different in most ways despite the very similar name.

rizuhbull posted:

Hah, I thought Suikoden 5 was pretty good, and I know I'm not alone in this opinion here. Definitely the best PS2 suikoden, which I know isn't saying much. Probably the only good one since 2. It does indeed start slow, though. But right at the five hour mark or so is when it starts getting much better, so... :v:

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 14, 2012

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Hah, I thought Suikoden 5 was pretty good, and I know I'm not alone in this opinion here. Definitely the best PS2 suikoden, which I know isn't saying much. Probably the only good one since 2. It does indeed start slow, though. But right at the five hour mark or so is when it starts getting much better, so... :v:

This statement is 100% correct. I've heard several people give that same remark. Not as good as 2, but the closest to it on ps2.

Anywho...I've been playing Yakuza 2 this week, and it still holds up fairly well. I got into the Yakuza series with 3 and 4, but heard the second one was worth going back-in-time for. I'm a little over half way done and it's got a good story with a classic feel to it. For anyone that's not familiar with the series, it's basically an RPG/brawler with a Japanese Mafia storyline and a ton of mini-games and side-quests thrown in. Each game offers long summaries of the previous games at the start, so you can pick up any of the games and get right up to speed.

Archyp Cosh
Nov 12, 2011
A couple games I'm surprised weren't mentioned but are really good:

The Shadow Hearts series : Technically started with Koudelka on the PS1, but Shadow Hearts is a horror rpg series that got progressively more silly as the series went on. Shadow Hearts was a pretty straight-laced horror RPG, Shadow Hearts: Covenant was Army of Darkness-esque horror and Shadow Hearts: From the New World is pretty goofy. Great RPGs with a semi-active battle system utilizing a timing-based "Judgement Ring" which can cause any action to fail, succeed, or critically succeed. Tons of awesome, and Covenant (the best one) is still pretty cheap and available online.

The Red Star : Hard to describe beat-em-up + shooter + RPG that's pretty drat hard and magnificently fun. Based on some graphic novel set in alt-history(?) Russia, you take control of one of three characters and shoot, sickle, and explode the hell out of legions of infantry, ninjas, trains, tanks and death zeppelins. Fantastic game.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

S.L.A.I. looks like some mix of Armored Core and Virtual On. Used to be online, isn't anymore. Still worth it, it seems, check out this gameplay video

(I have no clue if that Superchick song in the background is actually part of the soundtrack)

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Most people have heard about devil may cry, but have you heard about Chaos Legion?

One of the millions of games made in the wake of devil may cry, this one had the benefit of actually being made by capcom. The main gimmick is that it's a cross between that game and dynasty warriors, you have these pokemon called legions that work pretty similarly to switching weapons in other games. You can either fight by yourself (and having your pokemon just give you buffs and the odd supporting attack) or you can depower yourself to summon a bunch of guys and help out against the HUGE swarms of enemies.

I'll be frank, this isn't a game for everybody, the game was created largly to test off how many enemies they could use in their new engine, and it's really ugly. The story is stupid, but not in a funny way (it's based on some japanese novel, apparently?) the game is often punishingly difficult (in particular, if you try and fight metalic/organic enemies with the wrong kind of pokemon you'll need to hit them hundreds of times and many enemies will take a VERY long time in general to beat if you don't realize they have a weak-point) and like all capcom action games made around this period it does a very poor job of explaining itself aside from very bare-bones tutorial and a bunch of static pictures of all your moves that's hidden five menus deep.

In spite of all that, if you can stick with it and have the right mindset it can be a really fun game. Being swarmed by hundreds of things, summoning a bunch of knights and watching them destroy everything is a great feeling, and unlike dynasty warriors you're almost always at risk of getting killed, giving the game a real tension to it instead of just "yawwn, gotta kill a thousand more faceless goons", give it a try.

The game was also released for the PC, but this was back when capcom outsourced all their PC ports so it's not really that great

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zeether posted:

S.L.A.I. looks like some mix of Armored Core and Virtual On. Used to be online, isn't anymore. Still worth it, it seems, check out this gameplay video

(I have no clue if that Superchick song in the background is actually part of the soundtrack)

Yep. SLAI has all sorts of random bands on both soundtracks.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Zeether posted:

I could never get a handle on the completely backwards analog controls. There was no way to change it either! Then the fact that every arena has a ringer that will show up after you've dominated everyone else there. Ringers will wreck your poo poo in under a second and set you back hours in repair and rearming costs. Not to mention the damage multiplier from behind was crazy. I wanted to like SLAI, but it's a very awkward game. Though the fact that each of your 4 weapons can be fired independently with the shoulder buttons is fun.

I picked up Gungrave Overdose after reading about it here. Totally not disappointed. This game is 100% anime and explosions. There's a dedicated "cool pose" button! I'm getting God Hand vibes.

Also gonna recommend Shining Force EXA. It's an action RPG all about upgrading. You get two playable characters and a fortress to rebuild. While you take one character out to explore and get stuff done, the other stays behind to defend the fortress against periodic monster attacks. Then it switches back so you can try and defend the fortress core. Upgrading the base's cannon allows you to call in bigger and more numerous artillery strikes from farther away. This game is entirely capable of hard locking your PS2 if you drop a high level strike on the frequent mobs of enemies.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Gregory Horror Show

It was based on a Japanese TV show. It was a weird game. If I had to best describe it, it would be a survival horror, stealth adventure game, for kids.

As far as I'm aware it was never released in North America. You basically have to explore the hotel and capture/rescue the souls of the inhabitants and give them to death. You get to learn all about the backstory of the characters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8WOAxcsol0

The characters are pretty hosed up.

DrMelon
Oct 9, 2010

You can find me in the produce aisle of the hospital.
I really miss the huge variety of new IP that was on show during the PS2 era. I still maintain that it is the best console!
In fact, Sony released a TV a while ago that actually contains a PS2.

Incidentally, one of my favourite games was Knight Rider for PS2. While it wasn't the best game ever, it had a lot of charm, fun gameplay mechanics, and contained the original intro from the show. The music scoring was great, as they had various different remixes of the Knight Rider theme.

DrMelon fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 15, 2012

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
I played the poo poo out of this game. Rise to Honor had a simple but awesome combat system. It was just slap analog stick in the direction you wanted to attack, but there was always so much more poo poo you could do with it, especially with the objects in the area or just the walls even. The story was pretty Hollywood, though they put a shitton of work into actually having Cantonese voices in the Hong Kong part and English in the San Fran part, or have English the whole way through. I just loved how it played like some kung fu action movie.

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

Wanderer posted:

Capcom put out this weird game in maybe 2006 or 2007 called Shadows of Rome, which blended survival horror-style exploration gameplay with gladiatorial combat and some free-roaming stuff, and managed to put all of that into one game without any single part of it feeling underutilized. I don't remember it getting that much marketing or press, plus it came out right in the middle of that period of time where God of War was still pretty new and everyone had a Greek or Roman-themed action game coming out.

It's a lot better than it has any right to be, particularly since just about every other game that's ever tried to be that many things at once has usually hosed at least one of them up.
This right here is my favourite underrated game on the PS2. The gladiator battles in the game are incredible. There's nothing quite like beating a man to death with his own arm and then cheering so that the crowd will throw you a giant mace that makes heads explode.

The stealth levels were complete garbage though. I would have much preferred a game solely of gladiatorial matches.

Here's a video of one of the early matches:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM6_UMHBBpU&t=100s

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Alright guys, help me out here. Out of the 3 fatal frame games on the PS2, is there a best one? It seems like a lot of people prefer Fatal Frame 2, but most reviews seem to be before Fatal Frame 3 was even out.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

Alright guys, help me out here. Out of the 3 fatal frame games on the PS2, is there a best one? It seems like a lot of people prefer Fatal Frame 2, but most reviews seem to be before Fatal Frame 3 was even out.

Two. It's not even close.

One is a great game but two refines the mechanics, has a better environment, and is generally scarier. Three is kind of a mash up tribute to the previous games and reuses a lot of the same environments. It's not bad but it's not up to the standards of the first two.

And to keep going, four has some serious problems but it's still enjoyable if you're a fan of the series. Spirit Camera on the 3DS is god-loving-awful.

Also, there's a Wii port of Fatal Frame 2 that was released two weeks ago everywhere except North America. If that's an option for you get that version.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Ddraig posted:

Gregory Horror Show

It was based on a Japanese TV show. It was a weird game. If I had to best describe it, it would be a survival horror, stealth adventure game, for kids.

As far as I'm aware it was never released in North America. You basically have to explore the hotel and capture/rescue the souls of the inhabitants and give them to death. You get to learn all about the backstory of the characters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8WOAxcsol0

The characters are pretty hosed up.

I played this at E3 2K3, liked it a lot, and then Capcom decided to not release it in the US despite translating it to English for Europe.

Really annoying.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

Two. It's not even close.

One is a great game but two refines the mechanics, has a better environment, and is generally scarier. Three is kind of a mash up tribute to the previous games and reuses a lot of the same environments. It's not bad but it's not up to the standards of the first two.

And to keep going, four has some serious problems but it's still enjoyable if you're a fan of the series. Spirit Camera on the 3DS is god-loving-awful.

Also, there's a Wii port of Fatal Frame 2 that was released two weeks ago everywhere except North America. If that's an option for you get that version.

No wonder you can still find new copies of 1/3 for $20 but the second one is more expensive used.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Just picked up Fatal Frame 2. Seems solid so far. I just want to confirm, none of the fatal frame games are related to each other in any way right?

Other than the magic camera and all.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

Just picked up Fatal Frame 2. Seems solid so far. I just want to confirm, none of the fatal frame games are related to each other in any way right?

I think 2 has some story elements related to 1, and 3 has more, but I didn't play the first for a while after the second and was fine. Thanks to whoever had the earlier recommendation for Primal, I'm really enjoying it!

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Tsugunai: Atonement

An RPG where you play as a soul who has been separated from his body as punishment for attempting to steal a sacred artifact. To restore himself, he must possess various characters and assist them in achieving their goals.

It's very rough around the edges and (like Shadow Hearts) was originally developed as a PS1 game, but overall it's worth playing, if only for the novelty. The soundtrack, by the way, is composed by Yasunori Mitsuda of Chrono Cross and Xenogears fame.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

Rule of Rose is very very unique. I literally have never played anything like it. The story is really interesting and there's even a gigantic blog that helps puts it together; ruleofrosemysteries.com or something like that.

I am so drat lucky to have gotten my copy for $30.

Slight edit: Check your gamestops. I believe they still offer it for $20 used, the only trick is finding a copy. Play it, maybe beat it, if you don't like it, you can flip it for double on ebay.

There's a fair amount to appreciate about Rule of Rose's story and atmosphere, but I would be remiss in not warning people that the gameplay is loving -terrible-. Stiff, unresponsive controls, tank controls (pretty sure, anyway), inadequate weaponry (a dinner fork is a mainstay), and a protagonist that's completely incompetent at combat, plus respawning enemies and a hell of a lot of wandering around aimlessly following your slow rear end dog to find items. I can appreciate in some respects what they were going for, but it's not fun in the least.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

An Actual Bear posted:

Another FPS, but this one is pretty unique. It features an interesting item crafting system that allows you to use things you find in the field. Combining gas, a rag and a glass bottle makes a Molotov Cocktail for example. It's also extremely violent, somewhat reminiscent of Soldier of Fortune, and has a genuinely gripping story with some solid voice acting. Also Tom Baker is the antagonist. Not even joking.

Cold Winter was written by Warren Ellis, of comics fame. As far as I know the only videogame he's done other than the also awesome but sadly obscure Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising, for PC.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I thought Suikoden 3 was really awesome, although admittedly it's the only one in the series I've played.

The trinity system was pretty cool. Basically there were 3 main characters each with their own parties and paths through the game. Playing through a chapter with one character would give you different perspectives on the same events in the story. IIRC the battle system had you partner characters up into 3 groups of 2, and partners could switch between being in the front line or staying back as support/magic artillery.

When you beat the game you unlocked a short chapter where you play as the villain in major points of the story. Pretty cool.

Plus: armour for women that makes sense!

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

Rule of Rose is what happens when the Japanese work on an Alan Wake prototype except you're a little girl thrown into some insanely sick situations. With dog. Enjoy!

No but really, RoR falls into that special Japanese niche genre of kids-thrust-into-hosed-up-settings-survival-horror, sorta like Galerians, but no psychic powers. It relies a lot on being moody, claustrophobic, and just really goddamn uncomfortable. You're basically at the mercy of some really not-nice orphans taking refuge in a fittingly-creepy abandoned orphanage, appeasing them by finding gifts, learning their (hosed) backstories and current situation, exploring and taking in the decadence, all while pushing what the ESRB defined as an M in the US

You're also not going to find a copy under $50, so if you're wary on titles published by Atlus/not into survival-horror, you should probably fire PCSX2 up before any major decisions

Pretty sure you've confused Rule of Rose with Haunting Ground.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

Ineffiable posted:

1 and 2 are entirely separate. 3 has callback ghosts, locations, and characters to the first 2.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Industrial posted:

Pretty sure you've confused Rule of Rose with Haunting Ground.

They are very very similar games. He is talking about Rule of Rose there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Blisster posted:

I thought Suikoden 3 was really awesome, although admittedly it's the only one in the series I've played.

The trinity system was pretty cool. Basically there were 3 main characters each with their own parties and paths through the game. Playing through a chapter with one character would give you different perspectives on the same events in the story. IIRC the battle system had you partner characters up into 3 groups of 2, and partners could switch between being in the front line or staying back as support/magic artillery.

When you beat the game you unlocked a short chapter where you play as the villain in major points of the story. Pretty cool.

Plus: armour for women that makes sense!

I actually just beat Suikoden III for the first time not too long ago.

It was...decent. But! Definitely could have been a lot better. I felt the trinity system didn't go far enough (I though there'd be literally three different castles competing against each other). The battle and map systems were really tedious too. Also far more grindy than any other Suikoden game I've played thanks to the skill system.

• Locked thread