Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
Defragging simulator. Make sure sound is on: http://defragger.info/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Yes! I need every cluster out of that 20 meg hard drive!

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

minato posted:

Defragging simulator. Make sure sound is on: http://defragger.info/

Omg I remember that. I remember running defrag as a kid and watching it go, even though at the time having the visual stuff up actually made it appreciably slower I didn't care

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

robodex posted:

Omg I remember that. I remember running defrag as a kid and watching it go, even though at the time having the visual stuff up actually made it appreciably slower I didn't care

It brought out the inner OCD in a lot of people, including me. There's just something viscerally satisfying about it. :)

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
On the subject of film vs. video, was there an era were filming on actual film, regardless of the type 8mm, 16mm, etc. was actually sort of affordable? Granted, this covers only a small window, but it seemed even in the 90s to me as a teenager it felt like a very expensive endeavor to get even regular still photos developed.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
If you don't care about quality/are a parent it's been about $8 for a roll of film, development, and printing at walmart/walgreens/whatever since probably 1996.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Computer viking posted:

It brought out the inner OCD in a lot of people, including me. There's just something viscerally satisfying about it. :)

It's probably what made my dad recommend defragging as a solution to every single computer problem ever.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

JediTalentAgent posted:

On the subject of film vs. video, was there an era were filming on actual film, regardless of the type 8mm, 16mm, etc. was actually sort of affordable? Granted, this covers only a small window, but it seemed even in the 90s to me as a teenager it felt like a very expensive endeavor to get even regular still photos developed.

Sure. In the 60s and 70s you could get film for an affordable price (depending on your definition of 'affordable')

Not only did you need a camera and film, you also needed a projector, a screen, splicing quipment and a room full of bored and trapped relatives at xmas.

I'd say that you had to be middle-class and it was probably equivalent to buying a medium-range DSLR these days.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

JediTalentAgent posted:

At Ritz Camera (in the 1990s), it was $9.99 for a 24 exposure roll, $14.99 for a 36 exposure roll. If you had the Ritz Camera club card, you got double prints for that price. AND it was the 4x6 Ritz Big Print, not that ratty3.5x5 print from Eckard's.

:smithicide:

That will always be burned into my brain. Five years behind that drat photo counter...

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Guys he was asking about making moving pictures, not photographs

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Get enough photographs, throw them in front of eyes. Done.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

T-man posted:

Get enough photographs, throw them in front of eyes. Done.

Yeah you're basically buying a second of 35mm film in a 24-shot roll

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Yeah you're basically buying a second of 35mm film in a 24-shot roll

Two seconds, actually. 35mm movie film has each exposure being 4 sprocket holes long. In a still camera, 35mm film uses 8 sprocket holes per exposure.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Movies have never been cheap- that's why the slide projector was invented.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Pham Nuwen posted:

If it wasn't clear, so was I.

Specifically, Super8 home movies. All the clarity of a first generation smartphone will all the convenience of putting on a showing of 'holidays on ice'

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

spog posted:

If it wasn't clear, so was I.

Specifically, Super8 home movies. All the clarity of a first generation smartphone will all the convenience of putting on a showing of 'holidays on ice'

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/brownie-movie-camera-color-movies-cost-less-than-you-think/

Here's an old ad with prices. Neat blog too...

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
$383.55 in 2014 dollars.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tevery Best posted:

It's probably what made my dad recommend defragging as a solution to every single computer problem ever.

That and early on you basically had to obsessively defrag your computer all the drat time. Anybody that was computer literate spent a lot of time telling people to defrag their poo poo and it was extremely common for the conversation to go "when was the last time you ran defrag? Oh you don't know what that is? *describes defrag* Run that, let it do its thing, and call me back if it's still slow." You'd get called back basically never.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Back in highschool in the late 90's there was a tiny resurgence of Super 8 as an artsy cheap recording medium, but I suspect that's because cameras were 20 bucks on Ebay and anyone who had film was in firesale mode trying to get rid of it. It was still moderately expensive to develop and get a projector, though. And you still had no sound. A VHS camcorder could be had for $150 used much of the time, though it lacked the indie nostalgia factor.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Anybody that was computer literate spent a lot of time telling people to defrag their poo poo and it was extremely common for the conversation to go "when was the last time you ran defrag? Oh you don't know what that is? *describes defrag* Run that, let it do its thing, and call me back if it's still slow." You'd get called back basically never.

It's a good way to get people to gently caress off for a while, at least.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Also, you can get people to actually reboot their computer.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
I got into PCs during the win95/98 crossover period, and besides being told to defrag a lot, I should apparently also partition my drive(s) because of the pagefile. I don't know when that started to become obsolete, but I kept that up until like, Vista. It wasn't until I got big enough drives to give up that practice. It was somehow soothing to have C:->F: drive being all neat and tidy.

Win98 SE was a great loving OS though.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

mng posted:

Win98 SE was a great loving OS though.

I ran 98 SE dual-booted with Linux until 2005. I only wanted Windows for games, and 98 SE was all we had in the house, so I used it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mng posted:

I got into PCs during the win95/98 crossover period, and besides being told to defrag a lot, I should apparently also partition my drive(s) because of the pagefile. I don't know when that started to become obsolete, but I kept that up until like, Vista. It wasn't until I got big enough drives to give up that practice. It was somehow soothing to have C:->F: drive being all neat and tidy.

The principle is still sound, it’s just not worth bothering for most people.

It’ll go truly obsolete whenever HDDs do.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Kind of already is with SSDs though, yeah?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

ReidRansom posted:

Kind of already is with SSDs though, yeah?

For most people, yeah, probably, but it'll be a while before they phase out of mainstream laptops/desktops, and if you need a shitload of storage, HDDs are still the way to go.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Also, the cells in SSDs slowly lose data over time, while platter drives from the '80s still have perfectly intact Andy Warhol images on them.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Also, the cells in SSDs slowly lose data over time, while platter drives from the '80s still have perfectly intact Andy Warhol images on them.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Proof even Andy Warhol struggled with the piece of poo poo mouse that came with the Amiga. The thing gunked up in record time, was awkward to hold, and the buttons would wear out.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The stock mouse was by far the worst thing about the Amiga. Completely useless piece of junk.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Are we talking about useless pointing devices now?

HP 9845C with light pen

Proust Malone has a new favorite as of 06:23 on Jan 23, 2015

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Your HDD will slowly lose data over time, too. Probably not comparable to SSDs, but it does happen.
Also, I was under the impression that Warhols stuff was found on old floppy disks. Those things are like tanks.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Platystemon posted:

The principle is still sound, it’s just not worth bothering for most people.

It’ll go truly obsolete whenever HDDs do.

Most Linux distros still create (or recommend) a dedicated swap partition.

I originally built my PC with 4GB and a 2GB swap partition. Since then, I've upgraded to 16GB RAM and an SSD system disk, but I'm still using the original partitioning and OS install (imaged from HDD to SSD).

So I have a 2GB swap partition on my SSD, that I'm fairly sure has never been used at all. I guess I'm just too lazy to fix it.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Gromit posted:

I was under the impression that Warhols stuff was found on old floppy disks. Those things are like tanks.
I suppose the build quality was better back then? I know by 1998 it was pot luck to take a disc to school and have it be readable by the time you got home.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

KozmoNaut posted:

So I have a 2GB swap partition on my SSD, that I'm fairly sure has never been used at all. I guess I'm just too lazy to fix it.

I'm not sure if this is true for Linux, but that'd be about right for Windows with an SSD. You don't need a big page file, but performance suffers if you don't have one at all.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

WebDog posted:

I suppose the build quality was better back then? I know by 1998 it was pot luck to take a disc to school and have it be readable by the time you got home.

Oh hell yes. 3.5" floppies were really reliable when they first came out - you could easily pull a box of them out of a cupboard, blow the layer of dust off them and expect them to read without problem*

Then, almost overnight, the quality plummeted and you were lucky if you could use them twice before they failed

*apart fro the fact that the file was invariably in a file format that wasn't supported by any software you owned.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Toast Museum posted:

I'm not sure if this is true for Linux, but that'd be about right for Windows with an SSD. You don't need a big page file, but performance suffers if you don't have one at all.

I've set the vm.swappiness kernel parameter to 0, so it'll swap only if absolutely necessary to avoid out-of-memory errors, so there really should be no performance degradation if it wasn't there.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

spog posted:

Oh hell yes. 3.5" floppies were really reliable when they first came out - you could easily pull a box of them out of a cupboard, blow the layer of dust off them and expect them to read without problem*

Then, almost overnight, the quality plummeted and you were lucky if you could use them twice before they failed

*apart fro the fact that the file was invariably in a file format that wasn't supported by any software you owned.

I always assumed it was the actual drives that became lovely, not the diskettes.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
In later years at least I think a lot of it had to do with retailers selling new old stock, as I can't imagine there were many/any floppy disk manufacturing lines still in production past the early 2000s. Like I said several pages ago -

Geoj posted:

I used to work for FujiFilm, who used 3.5" floppies for backup data, and any time the software driving the printer was updated or reloaded we had to make a fresh set of backups. From about 2007 until I left in 2012 it wasn't uncommon to have a failure rate in the high 60% pulling from a "new" box of floppies.

There was a definite dropoff after 2005 in the "quality" of floppies being sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Geoj posted:

I wonder how much of it was "manufacturing QC went down the drain" rather than "everything being sold today is new old stock that has been collecting dust in a warehouse for 10+ years." I used to work for FujiFilm, who used 3.5" floppies for backup data, and any time the software driving the printer was updated or reloaded we had to make a fresh set of backups. From about 2007 until I left in 2012 it wasn't uncommon to have a failure rate in the high 60% pulling from a "new" box of floppies.
Beaten, I guess.