Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Konjuro posted:

I still have an old 21 inch CRT monitor kicking around. I call it the Desk-Buster because it is literally too heavy to sit on most newer computer desks.

I had the same monitor. Every surface I ever put that behemoth on began to bend almost immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

This long and no one has posted Laserdiscs?

Let's see where it went wrong...
  • GIANT MEDIA - Though I guess you could re-purpose an old vinyl record holder. But they were still awkward to use, and a lot heavier than they look.
  • EXPENSIVE - Since they didn't get adopted at a very fast rate like VHS or DVD, players and movies stayed up there in price.
  • FRAGILE - A VHS tape could be tossed around, dropped even, and probably not suffer damage. Also, being pure analog, it had no error correction, so small scratches and dust that wouldn't be a problem on a DVD will cause errors on a Laserdisc.
  • POOR SELECTION - Relatively few movies were released on Laserdisc.
  • QUALITY - The disc is an analog video. It was better than VHS, but not by a lot, and DVD surpassed it.
  • LOW AMOUNT OF SPACE - Each side had, at best, 60 minutes. So you'd have to flip the thing over halfway through a movie. Is the movie more than two hours? It would need a second disc.

It did have a few advantages going for it, but they were far outweighed by the negatives. I only ever knew one person who had one, a cousin of my mother's who had a "sweet entertainment set up" in his basement. The only movie I watched on Laserdisc there was Twister, and having to get up to flip the disc made me realize Laserdisc was dumb.

I do remember a few people saying they thought DVDs were going to fail when they first came out, because after-all, they're just like a small Laserdisc, and that failed.

They got a quick mention in the OP. I personally never met anyone who actually owned one of them. My school had a whole bunch of them, but I've never seen one outside of school use. How much did those things go for anyway, and what did a disc itself cost? I was about 8 when I remember them, so I wasn't that up to speed on price back then.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Konjuro posted:

I still have an old 21 inch CRT monitor kicking around. I call it the Desk-Buster because it is literally too heavy to sit on most newer computer desks.

It's a pre-cow Gateway too. Goddamn, that thing is a beast.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Konjuro posted:

Ah I think I know why that monitor is so heavy. Does it have one or two faint black horizontal lines in the picture, and if you were to smack the side of it, would the colors go funny for a second or so? If yes then you have a Trinitron monitor.

Gateway 2000 monitors used the Trinitron design far as I am aware of. It gave you excellent brightness and sharpness, but the tradeoff were those one or two horizontal lines, and the things were heavy as gently caress due to the aperture grille design.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Zasraik posted:

The beeper.

Not a failure, just obsolete.

Every kid these days has a smart phone and a laptop but I remember when you could tell the swag girls from the powhitetrash by beeper ownership.

"Someone is trying to call me!"

Dennis The Beeper King Duffy is keeping the dream alive

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Oh Sega, your product ideas were so good, but your timing, market research, and price points were so bad. :sigh:

bayarealam
Oct 28, 2010
3Com Audrey. Still have ours, not sure why.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

OneEightHundred posted:

Oh Sega, your product ideas were so good, but your timing, market research, and price points were so bad. :sigh:

Also its battery use. I remember the Game Gear taking 6 batteries for two hours of play time.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

That's the Nomad, which was even worse about battery use. It was pretty much the best thing ever if you had a wall outlet, a handheld that played current-generation console games, but it cost some ungodly high price like $280.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zasraik posted:

The beeper.

Not a failure, just obsolete.

Every kid these days has a smart phone and a laptop but I remember when you could tell the swag girls from the powhitetrash by beeper ownership.

"Someone is trying to call me!"

Don't medical people still use pagers? What with the whole "no cellphone use in the hospital" thing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DrBouvenstein posted:

This long and no one has posted Laserdiscs?

Let's see where it went wrong...
  • GIANT MEDIA - Though I guess you could re-purpose an old vinyl record holder. But they were still awkward to use, and a lot heavier than they look.
  • EXPENSIVE - Since they didn't get adopted at a very fast rate like VHS or DVD, players and movies stayed up there in price.
  • FRAGILE - A VHS tape could be tossed around, dropped even, and probably not suffer damage. Also, being pure analog, it had no error correction, so small scratches and dust that wouldn't be a problem on a DVD will cause errors on a Laserdisc.
  • POOR SELECTION - Relatively few movies were released on Laserdisc.
  • QUALITY - The disc is an analog video. It was better than VHS, but not by a lot, and DVD surpassed it.
  • LOW AMOUNT OF SPACE - Each side had, at best, 60 minutes. So you'd have to flip the thing over halfway through a movie. Is the movie more than two hours? It would need a second disc.

It did have a few advantages going for it, but they were far outweighed by the negatives. I only ever knew one person who had one, a cousin of my mother's who had a "sweet entertainment set up" in his basement. The only movie I watched on Laserdisc there was Twister, and having to get up to flip the disc made me realize Laserdisc was dumb.

There was a similar format called the CED that didn't suffer quite so much from these problems. The disc case was actually a giant sleeve, and you'd push it into the player to lock the disc in place. The disc therefore was never exposed to the outside world, reducing damage. On the down side, the CED was read with a stylus like a vinyl record, so the discs are still prone to wearing out.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Phy posted:

What with the whole "no cellphone use in the hospital" thing.
They generate electromagnetic interference which can confuse sensory equipment. No deaths have resulted, but actual dangerous incidents have, and testing has confirmed that they can cause some devices to malfunction, so they're usually banned in at least critical care areas.

Pagers are receive-only so they don't really have that problem.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

rockcity posted:

They got a quick mention in the OP. I personally never met anyone who actually owned one of them. My school had a whole bunch of them, but I've never seen one outside of school use. How much did those things go for anyway, and what did a disc itself cost? I was about 8 when I remember them, so I wasn't that up to speed on price back then.

Fun fact about Laserdisc players, they were still being made by Pioneer until 2009.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

rockcity posted:

I disagree on the "poor selection". Nearly every movie released on VHS from 1980-1997 had a LD counterpart.

I still have a LD player, although I rarely us it anymore. I have a few titles that are not on DVD or any other disc format. Mostly concerts and Star wars things.

One thing LD had that surpassed most DVDs, was PCM audio. DVDs usually had low bit rate Dolby 2.0 as their 2 channel option, while LD used the same format as CD.

live concert discs were usually quite a bit better sounding on LD.

Players could range from $500-$2000.

Movies were usually $40-100, depending on the number of discs.

Cornjob has a new favorite as of 17:33 on Jul 13, 2012

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
Laserdisc really took off in Hong Kong, Singapore and Japan, but not in North America, which is why it's stuck around for so long.

Laserdisc hand a huge quality advantage over VHS and Betamax, but flopped in North America because the discs were expensive and non-recordable, as well as being confused by consumers with CED, which was marketed as Videodisc.

^beaten

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Mister Snips posted:

Carphones, yo

I knew tons of kids whose parents had carphones when i lived in the loving whitest and richest town ever (lake forest) back in the 90's. I don't think they were even hooked up, just status symbols.

E: actually considering how loving rich everyone was of course they were hooked up
I was really disappointed to find that the old Mercedes car phones are analog and can't be activated anymore. I wanted to drive around big pimpin'

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme

Jedit posted:

There was a similar format called the CED that didn't suffer quite so much from these problems. The disc case was actually a giant sleeve, and you'd push it into the player to lock the disc in place. The disc therefore was never exposed to the outside world, reducing damage. On the down side, the CED was read with a stylus like a vinyl record, so the discs are still prone to wearing out.

Yeah, Capacitance Electronic Disk system, I had one and around 100 movies for it. I kept that drat thing working for years and years. I had to take it apart every 3 or 4 movies to adjust the bits that removed the disk from the carrier since they bent incredibly easily. Other than them being VERY temperamental they were INCREDIBLY HEAVY. One copier paper sized box of them would rip the bottom out of the box if it wasn't reinforced with duct tape. They produced a VERY nice quality picture and the sound was great as well. Also if the disk got scratched or the player got bumped it would skip in audio AND video which was a fairly cool effect!

The best disk that I had though was "Urgh! a music war" which didn't even make it to youtube until like 5 years ago. ALL of the VHS copies were pirated from the CED due to problems with licensing and copyright since the movie was exclusively released to CED (which then failed). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urgh!_A_Music_War . Also neither the LPs nor the DVD release in 2006 include Invisible Sex – "Valium" so the ONLY place you can find that one is pirated from CED. THAT disk I cleaned up and still have along with

The end of my CED player came when we had a fire in our apartment that resulted in the fire department pulling all of the plaster off the walls and foaming the whole place. The dust from the plaster mixed with the foam and got into EVERYTHING including the disk cases. They COULD have been cleaned but each one would have taken an hour and the little strips of stuff that brushed the disk clean as it was removed and returned in the machine would have had to be replaced for every disk.

live nudes
Jun 17, 2004

we like to watch

Phy posted:

Don't medical people still use pagers?

Yeah, my wife is a doctor and she uses a pager when whenever she's on call. I'm not sure why they don't just call her cell phone, but I'm sure they have their reasons.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Zasraik posted:

The beeper.

I still have a beeper; Stupid feds being all antiquated and ludite'tastic.

I got one of these at a Yardsale about 8 years ago...

The Virgin Webplayer

It was a very simple, compact, flash based X86 computer. If you had an old school IDE notebook HDD and a 44pin mini-IDE cable you could put linux or windows on this thing. It was awesome for weather monitoring and other super low horsepower tasks.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'd nominate the Chumby, although I don't think the company has gone bankrupt yet. Cool idea, good price point, but more or less immediately superseded by smartphones.

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme
These are obsolete but I don't know that they actually failed per se;

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

indigenous nudity posted:

Yeah, my wife is a doctor and she uses a pager when whenever she's on call. I'm not sure why they don't just call her cell phone, but I'm sure they have their reasons.

I could be completely making this up, but don't pagers also have more reliable reception than cell phones? Particularly in buildings, underground, etc.

Joining the mp3 player early adopters club. I had a 128mb Samsung that I paid about $100 for, and I thought it was baller as gently caress. Then I upgraded to a 256mb player for about the same price a year later and I was all "poo poo yeah, this'll hold like 4 goddamn cds."

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

indigenous nudity posted:

From my understanding (at least in hospital settings) old analog cell phones used the same/nearly same frequency as a lot of wireless medical equipment so cell phones were generally banned from use. Modern digital phones are well outside of the spectrum used by medical equipment but a lot of hospitals still enforce the ban. My friend's wife is a physical therapist and up until recently had to leave her phone in her locker at work, but apparently the hospital she works at recently relaxed their rules to allow cell phone use anywhere but in operating rooms and intensive care floors.

Pagers are/were widely used by health care professionals because they are receive only and didn't emit anything that could interfere with equipment.

Geoj has a new favorite as of 18:06 on Jul 13, 2012

crumpuppet
Mar 22, 2007

ROBORT > EVERYTHING

Konjuro posted:

I still used a monitor exactly like this at work up until about a year ago. Degaussing it made a very loud sound, and the degaussing jolt could be felt through the desk surface. This scared the poo poo out of me the first time I pressed the button. It was also the first and last monitor I ever saw with not only a VGA cable, but also individual RGB input ports.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Also, pagers are the only outside communication device allowed in places like this.

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009
I'm a musician so I'm always on the lookout for old recording gear. Some of my favorites include the reel-to-reel tape recorder:

This old Akai SCSI hard drive recorder (and Casio hardware sampler and synth beneath it):

Here's a couple hardware MIDI sequencers:

While all of these can fill some specific niches they've been replaced with the functionality that a modern DAW and VSTs provides.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Ever since, tennis gives me a raging headache.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Ever since, tennis gives me a raging headache.

Yeah that's nowhere near the very best. I think one of the developers of it died indirectly because of it. (He got fired and was later hit by a car IIRC)

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Landerig posted:

Yeah that's nowhere near the very best. I think one of the developers of it died indirectly because of it. (He got fired and was later hit by a car IIRC)
Why can't this happen to the developers of CoD?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Landerig posted:

I apologize that this isn't the best failure.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Gaze and weep at the greatest instrument that never was :smith:

You can actually pick these up for pretty cheap on Ebay. I love the bastards but as far as I know, there isn't really much in the way of digital midi controller guitars anymore.

advion
Jul 25, 2005

Geoj posted:

From my understanding (at least in hospital settings) old analog cell phones used the same/nearly same frequency as a lot of wireless medical equipment so cell phones were generally banned from use. Modern digital phones are well outside of the spectrum used by medical equipment but a lot of hospitals still enforce the ban. My friend's wife is a physical therapist and up until recently had to leave her phone in her locker at work, but apparently the hospital she works at recently relaxed their rules to allow cell phone use anywhere but in operating rooms and intensive care floors.

Pagers are/were widely used by health care professionals because they are receive only and didn't emit anything that could interfere with equipment.

What ancient rear end place does she work at, I've worked in numerous hospitals around the US and not one have given a poo poo about Cell Phones being carried around anymore. The only thing they care about is HIPAA violations and getting your work done and not texting constantly.

Believe our Docs use Blackberries and we send them text pages and/or call.

(All ICUs and numerous Cardiac ICUs such as the one I work in now)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Landerig posted:

You're probably thinking of Gunpei Yokoi, a fantastic man who, along with Shigeru Miyamoto pretty much made Nintendo as successful as it is. He supervised a lot of the old famous games, including Donkey Kong and Metroid. He invented the Game&Watch and the Game Boy. (And the Virtual Boy.. I guess every genius has a bad idea every so often)

Oh, and he invented the D-pad. How's that for awesome?

Sadly, he got hit by a car and died soon after retiring :(

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!
In the mid 1980s, my dad was enjoying his new middle-upper class paychecks so he went and splurged on one of these:

One and a half inch black and white screen. Mono sound. Only picked up the really strong broadcast channels. But it was awesome and the batteries lasted a fair amount of time for the time.

I found it in the attic recently. It still turns on and tries to show stuff, but outside of somehow attaching it to a converter box it's useless now.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Your Computer posted:

You're probably thinking of Gunpei Yokoi, a fantastic man who, along with Shigeru Miyamoto pretty much made Nintendo as successful as it is. He supervised a lot of the old famous games, including Donkey Kong and Metroid. He invented the Game&Watch and the Game Boy. (And the Virtual Boy.. I guess every genius has a bad idea every so often)

Oh, and he invented the D-pad. How's that for awesome?

Sadly, he got hit by a car and died soon after retiring :(

Yep. One can speculate had the Virtual Boy not prompted him to retire, he might not have been on that highway that day. Who knows.

Fearless_Decoy posted:

In the mid 1980s, my dad was enjoying his new middle-upper class paychecks so he went and splurged on one of these:

One and a half inch black and white screen. Mono sound. Only picked up the really strong broadcast channels. But it was awesome and the batteries lasted a fair amount of time for the time.

I found it in the attic recently. It still turns on and tries to show stuff, but outside of somehow attaching it to a converter box it's useless now.

If you really wanted to you could just wrap some bare wire around the antenna and plug it into the RF out on a convertor box, if anything just to see if it still works properly.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Fearless_Decoy posted:

I had one. Somehow. I think my dad stole it from someone's car because there's no way he would have bought one. Then again it was probably around like 2000 so it was cheap as heck. It takes a good 10 minutes to warm the bulb up to visible quality but that's probably because it's old as poo poo

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Landerig posted:

Ah I think I know why that monitor is so heavy. Does it have one or two faint black horizontal lines in the picture, and if you were to smack the side of it, would the colors go funny for a second or so? If yes then you have a Trinitron monitor.

Yes, it is indeed a Trinitron. Plugged my laptop into and it still works perfectly.

I also have an ancient Datas brand monochrome monitor, but I have no way of testing if that thing works anymore.

crumpuppet posted:

I still used a monitor exactly like this at work up until about a year ago. Degaussing it made a very loud sound, and the degaussing jolt could be felt through the desk surface. This scared the poo poo out of me the first time I pressed the button.
I used to degauss it just to freak out our cat.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

ChlamydiaJones posted:

Yeah, Capacitance Electronic Disk system, I had one and around 100 movies for it. I kept that drat thing working for years and years. I had to take it apart every 3 or 4 movies to adjust the bits that removed the disk from the carrier since they bent incredibly easily. Other than them being VERY temperamental they were INCREDIBLY HEAVY. One copier paper sized box of them would rip the bottom out of the box if it wasn't reinforced with duct tape. They produced a VERY nice quality picture and the sound was great as well. Also if the disk got scratched or the player got bumped it would skip in audio AND video which was a fairly cool effect!

The best disk that I had though was "Urgh! a music war" which didn't even make it to youtube until like 5 years ago. ALL of the VHS copies were pirated from the CED due to problems with licensing and copyright since the movie was exclusively released to CED (which then failed). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urgh!_A_Music_War . Also neither the LPs nor the DVD release in 2006 include Invisible Sex – "Valium" so the ONLY place you can find that one is pirated from CED. THAT disk I cleaned up and still have along with

First, thanks for making me aware of Urgh!

Secondly, look at this thing:

There's an hour of video on there, per side. Considering that disc is supposed to be physically read with a stylus, and that disc rotates at 450 RPM (500 for PAL) and I for one consider it a minor miracle that the things even worked to begin with.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Konjuro posted:

Yes, it is indeed a Trinitron. Plugged my laptop into and it still works perfectly.

Oh yeah, a 21" Trinitron. Desk buster is very appropriate.

I once lugged home a free 32" Sony Trinitron, by myself. (Free to anyone who could lift it) Beautiful picture but it sat for 3 weeks on my living room floor before I decided to just sell it. I mean I could have reinforced the TV stand with 4x4's, or maybe just built a new one out of reinforced concrete, but I decided to let it go to a new home, where it probably still sits like the living room monolith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

You can actually pick these up for pretty cheap on Ebay. I love the bastards but as far as I know, there isn't really much in the way of digital midi controller guitars anymore.
You can still get modular stuff like the Roland GK series pickups and compatible gear.