Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I don't care much for carrying change (any 1p or 2p coins go straight in the nearest charity box), but I'd hate having a note for something as small as £1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

KozmoNaut posted:

I do have some old-rear end British pence coins somewhere, that I got while I was in Scotland a couple of years ago. I think they're from as far back as the late 1970s.

Seconding this, I have a stack of about 20 US quarters on my desk...the two oldest are from 1974 and 1980.

With smaller change (aside from pennies) you'll occasionally run across coins that were minted as far back as the mid-60s.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

You guys have young coins. When I worked at a gas station I'd routinely get buffalo nickles, wheat back pennies, all kinds of neat old coins.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Geoj posted:

Seconding this, I have a stack of about 20 US quarters on my desk...the two oldest are from 1974 and 1980.

With smaller change (aside from pennies) you'll occasionally run across coins that were minted as far back as the mid-60s.

Looking through my change pile, I have a nickel from 1961 and a quarter from 1967, so they're definitely still out there.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Zonekeeper posted:

Much larger than the quarter, though. I imagine manufacturing a machine that takes them is prohibitively expensive. Same applies to the Ike dollar, but that one's first replacement failed for other reasons I mentioned a few posts ago.

To expand on this, they're actually twice as big by mass, and the Ike was twice as big by mass again. All due to when the coins were actually silver...they had to be for it all to make sense. :)

Kinda makes me wonder if that's another reason the Susan b Anthony never took off, since it was the first coin to break the illusion.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Arrath posted:

You guys have young coins. When I worked at a gas station I'd routinely get buffalo nickles, wheat back pennies, all kinds of neat old coins.

Hell yeah, old coins rule - I have an old Mercury head dime I got out of a vending machine like 15 years ago. Real silver and even circulated at the time it was worth like $100 or so.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Zonekeeper posted:

I was completely unaware! So these are basically the treasury doing what they should have in the first place and making the coins a different color. That explains why it took them until 1999 to release them.

And while they're quarter sized like the Susie Bs, they have a smooth squared off edge to make them easier to distinguish for the blind/visually impaired.

I once got a steel penny from 43 when I was cashiering, found it among the dimes. Swapped it for a real dime and kept it (what I usually did with interesting coins). Only worth about 50 cents because it's half rusted but I thought it was neat and kept it.

pienipple has a new favorite as of 02:44 on Jul 15, 2015

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Pham Nuwen posted:

Time to design a stick-on card skimmer to put on vending machines that don't yet have card readers.

See? This is why I would never use card swipes on vending machines (or on the machines at the nearby laundromat). You can't skim a coin. :cobert:

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Lazlo Nibble posted:

That's not really true though—the Sacajawea/"Presidential" dollars were specifically designed so they could be used in vending machines that accepted SBAs, and I doubt anyplace outside of Las Vegas ever had machines in any quantity that accepted Ikes in the first place. They SBA and its descendants are all just too close in size/weight to quarters.

This is something I don't get. Like, I understand that the SBA was silver, like a quarter, but the Sac/Pres coins are almost identical (in size, not composition) to the Canadian loonie, which no one ever mistakes for the quarter.

big parcheesi player
Apr 1, 2014

Also, I can kill you with my brain.

KozmoNaut posted:

Coins last significantly longer than bills, so they're cheaper in the long run. I have a couple of coins right here that were minted in 1990 and have presumably been in regular circulation for 25 years, through pockets, wallets, cash registers, vending machines and so on. They're a little bit scuffed, but still perfectly legible and usable, even in picky vending machines.

Don't forget being ran through with the laundry, or dropped in a parking lot, rained on, and ran over by cars.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

drgnwr1 posted:

Don't forget being ran through with the laundry, or dropped in a parking lot, rained on, and ran over by cars.

Well, paper money does pretty well in the wash too since it's more fabric than paper.

I love coins. I particularly love huge rear end Eisenhower dollars. But switching from bills to paper is more or less a moot point as we move towards a cashless society. By the time anyone actually does something meaningful (like ditch the penny) no one will be using them anyway.

I can hardly imagine what being a cashier these days must be like. More than half the time you're not handling cash and when you do credit card transactions you never forget to give the card back to the customer. Must be dreamy...

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Krispy Kareem posted:

I can hardly imagine what being a cashier these days must be like. More than half the time you're not handling cash and when you do credit card transactions you never forget to give the card back to the customer. Must be dreamy...
Over here a lot of the larger retail chains have switched to self service checkout. There'll be one or two manned checkouts, then 8-10 self-checkout desks with two or three people monitoring all of them.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I always thought the gold dollar coins were cool because it made me think of carrying a purse in ye olden sense of the word, a drawstring bag full of golden coins, and all the movies where the protagonist slaps a gold coin down on the bar and asks for a pint, a shave, and a room for the night.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Antifreeze Head posted:

United States currency has to be the most depressing currency in all the world. It is just so boring, a dead old white man on the obverse and a bland building on the reverse. The only decent one of the lot is the two dollar note and those are super rare.

I think the fact that our government makes only the smallest, most grudging changes to the design of American paper money is at least partially because they want the US dollar to be a symbol of stability and permanence. The idea is that a drastic design change would damage people's faith in the currency (our economy literally depends on the US dollar being one of the most reliable stores of value in the world). It's plain and drab on purpose.

As for coins, I think it's a masculinity thing--American men won't carry any sort of money container that zips up or otherwise seals because that's seen as "a purse" and effeminate. American men's wallets don't have coin pockets (see also: cliché American sitcom jokes from the '90s about men with "European" handbags).

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 15:17 on Jul 15, 2015

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
And the downside to self-serve is that supermarket thefts have risen.
Most of the staff helpers are for when the machine throws a small fit because you dare repack your shopping bag or have no idea where something obscure from the bakery section lives.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

WebDog posted:

Most of the staff helpers are for when the machine throws a small fit because you dare repack your shopping bag or have no idea where something obscure from the bakery section lives.

I gently caress up the self-checkout machine/transaction about 25% of the time :smith: It tends only to happen though when I'm trying to do something acrobatic, like type in my phone number for the membership discount or apply a coupon code.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

WebDog posted:

But you can serve the same amount of customers with a lot fewer cashiers (and manpower is expensive here) so it's a net gain for the store.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I hate self-serve. Cashiers are about 3x faster than I am, and are better at bagging. I just want them to do it.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Imagined posted:

I always thought the gold dollar coins were cool because it made me think of carrying a purse in ye olden sense of the word, a drawstring bag full of golden coins, and all the movies where the protagonist slaps a gold coin down on the bar and asks for a pint, a shave, and a room for the night.

A friend of a friend apparently gets one paycheck every couple of months cashed in the gold dollars, puts them all in a crown royal bag and has a "Pay like a pirate day" for every transaction he makes that day.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

pookel posted:

I hate self-serve. Cashiers are about 3x faster than I am, and are better at bagging. I just want them to do it.
Don't use the self checkout lanes then for everyone's sake.

big parcheesi player
Apr 1, 2014

Also, I can kill you with my brain.
If buying something heavy, self checkouts work, most of the time, but when you are buying something large/bulky/light that you can't get the machine to register it. Bulk of toilet paper or a candy bar, forget it, go to an actual cashier.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

drgnwr1 posted:

If buying something heavy, self checkouts work, most of the time, but when you are buying something large/bulky/light that you can't get the machine to register it. Bulk of toilet paper or a candy bar, forget it, go to an actual cashier.

Protip: the bagging area is a scale. Put the item on it and immediately push down for just a second with your hand. Let go, and it should recognize the weight changed and let you continue.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Woolie Wool posted:

I think the fact that our government makes only the smallest, most grudging changes to the design of American paper money is at least partially because they want the US dollar to be a symbol of stability and permanence. The idea is that a drastic design change would damage people's faith in the currency (our economy literally depends on the US dollar being one of the most reliable stores of value in the world). It's plain and drab on purpose.

As for coins, I think it's a masculinity thing--American men won't carry any sort of money container that zips up or otherwise seals because that's seen as "a purse" and effeminate. American men's wallets don't have coin pockets (see also: cliché American sitcom jokes from the '90s about men with "European" handbags).

The US govt is unusual in that it doesn't make old notes obsolete.

In some other countries, they stop issuing a particular design of a note and then, a few years later, it is no longer legal tender. If you have a retired note, you can take it to the bank and swap it for a new one, but you can't spend it.

It's a good system because it means that counterfeiters have to redo all their work every time a note is retired and can;t just keep on running off copies of old notes.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

carry on then posted:

Looking through my change pile, I have a nickel from 1961 and a quarter from 1967, so they're definitely still out there.

If the coins from before then weren't made of precious metals (silver mostly) you would probably find those circulating still. For instance, I sifted through small jar of pennies I had on my desk and was able to find all five portraits featured on the Canadian penny since the switch to the two maple leaf design.

1943, 1962, 1969, 1998, 2012

I shined the older three up a bit to make them easier to see (ketchup, in case you ever need to do something similar, ruins the value for anything though so don't). It would have been unusual to find King George money, but I got that in my change in the last 12 months of the penny's circulation, so it isn't unheard of. Basically people would only hold on to stuff with a different design, which generally means commemorative issues and prior designs.

At least that held true until the Mint here started issuing commemorative designs all the drat time. Now I only make an exception to set aside the quarters struck in 1999 because they are a loving embarrassment and I hate that they are in circulation.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Antifreeze Head posted:

If the coins from before then weren't made of precious metals (silver mostly) you would probably find those circulating still. For instance, I sifted through small jar of pennies I had on my desk and was able to find all five portraits featured on the Canadian penny since the switch to the two maple leaf design.

1943, 1962, 1969, 1998, 2012

I shined the older three up a bit to make them easier to see (ketchup, in case you ever need to do something similar, ruins the value for anything though so don't). It would have been unusual to find King George money, but I got that in my change in the last 12 months of the penny's circulation, so it isn't unheard of. Basically people would only hold on to stuff with a different design, which generally means commemorative issues and prior designs.

At least that held true until the Mint here started issuing commemorative designs all the drat time. Now I only make an exception to set aside the quarters struck in 1999 because they are a loving embarrassment and I hate that they are in circulation.

I bet nobody ever loving bothers to counterfeit those, though.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
What the.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/legendary-company-commodore-makes-comeback-form-smartphone-134342262.html

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Antifreeze Head posted:

What is this commemorating? Was the first grade of 1999 super impressive?

Or was this some thing where like a bunch of kids died and I'll feel like an rear end in a top hat :smith:

Vaxine
Apr 3, 2005

Want.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Is that fake? Can that possibly be real?

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

sweeperbravo posted:

What is this commemorating? Was the first grade of 1999 super impressive?

Or was this some thing where like a bunch of kids died and I'll feel like an rear end in a top hat :smith:

Nobody died.

The whole thing was for the millennium and they did 12 designs in 1999 and another 12 in 2000. Here is some info that shows the 11 other months were less embarrassing. http://www.downtownstamps.bc.ca/coins/sales_coins_99.html

pookel posted:

Is that fake? Can that possibly be real?

I'll assume you mean the phone. Whomever bought the Commodore name however long ago is just slapping the name on a generic android phone and including an emulator.

Antifreeze Head has a new favorite as of 19:24 on Jul 15, 2015

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Are you sure? This is the Ed Hardy of dork nostalgia.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Antifreeze Head posted:

Nobody died.

The whole thing was for the millennium and they did 12 designs in 1999 and another 12 in 2000. Here is some info that shows the 11 other months were less embarrassing. http://www.downtownstamps.bc.ca/coins/sales_coins_99.html

I'll assume you mean the phone. Whomever bought the Commodore name however long ago is just slapping the name on a generic android phone and including an emulator.

Yeah. If you don't have to

LOAD "CHROME",8,1

I'm not interested.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

pookel posted:

Less of a transition up here where it's disorientingly weird to have an employee bag your stuff. I've had it happen twice over the last 12 months - once during the Christmas rush, and once a couple of days ago in a near-empty store. I guess he was bored?

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Phanatic posted:

Yeah. If you don't have to

LOAD "CHROME",8,1

I'm not interested.

You better not have to be loading your phone's browser from a 5.25" floppy disk. :colbert:

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Cashiers bagging your poo poo is strange and weird. Don't touch my stuff, lady!

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

taiyoko posted:

You better not have to be loading your phone's browser from a 5.25" floppy disk. :colbert:

You don't have to, you get to

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Antifreeze Head posted:

...(ketchup, in case you ever need to do something similar, ruins the value for anything though so don't).

I'm interested in this comment. Is a coin more valuable covered in grime or does the ketchup destroys some part of the coin?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

British coinage is great because if you flick pennies out of a car window while traveling at speed they tend to hit other cars fast enough to smash windscreens. Good times.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

WebDog posted:

Really the worst part about self checkout is waiting for the single attendant watching over a dozen self checkout stands to get done helping Grandma use the thing so that they can come key in the access code and let me buy my fuckin beer.

Self checkouts really are great, if you're not buying something controlled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

beato posted:

I'm interested in this comment. Is a coin more valuable covered in grime or does the ketchup destroys some part of the coin?

Both, to an extent. And just to be clear, by value I mean the value to a collector as obviously the face value of the coin remains the same.

The cleaning in this case isn't grime exactly, but patina. Legitimate grime, like if it was in the mud or something, that should be washed off and can be done with just clean water. The patina is preferred because to a collector because that is the coin in its natural state, as close to original as it could be at the time they get it. And polishing the penny with ketchup or whatever does remove some metal, meaning the features of a coin are diminished and scratches can be left behind.

If you don't believe me, you can prove to yourself that copper is removed with a fun science experiment!

Grab 20 or so dull looking pennies and dunk them into vinegar. Swirl them around a bit, let them sit, and you will see they probably get a bit more shiny. Take them out and dunk in something steel, a paper clip, a nail, or keep to the coin theme and use a quarter. Give it a few hours and the copper will start to bond to the steel. You can run a control if you want and toss that steel thing into some vinegar that hasn't had any pennies in it, but being that vinegar normally contains no copper, it has to be from the pennies. That is also why the vinegar turned green.

Antifreeze Head has a new favorite as of 22:28 on Jul 15, 2015