Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

flosofl posted:

Why was everything brown, orange, golden-rod, or avocado in the 70s? I've never understood even though I spent my childhood in them.

I'm assuming we just became adept at producing those colors in fabrics and plastics on a cheap, mass scale. Well, not brown but brown was probably a good color to contrast orange and rust and gold. Those colors were new and different and modern. In the end, I'm sure it's much more complicated than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

flosofl posted:

Why was everything brown, orange, golden-rod, or avocado in the 70s? I've never understood even though I spent my childhood in them.

There really were other colors, but it went through phases. Primary colors were huge, so you were seeing palettes that were just bright red, bright green, bright blue, etc. But at the same time by the mid-seventies you were getting these oddball trends where an object would be available in a wild assortment of colors, whether it was a phone or a sportcoat. Want in bright green? Great. Powder blue? Ok. Mauve? No problem.

Patterns were used similarly, kind of the way you see alot of crazy stuff showing up on car wraps. Think about a three piece suit having the same bonkers pattern as a dashiki.

Here's a quick example of the sort of color/style agnosticism I'm talking about :

EDIT: This telephone is another good example of 1970s style agnosticism. Why can't a telephone be done in stars and stripes? Or a car, or a wall in your house, or a rocking chair? It quickly got out of control and resulted in atrocious living rooms like the one above. Throw-up decor.

Dick Trauma has a new favorite as of 19:11 on Aug 14, 2015

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

flosofl posted:

Why was everything teal, mauve, and purple in the 1990s? Color groups go into and out of fashion.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Why DID computer cases go from beige to black in the mid-late 2000's?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Instant Sunrise posted:

I’ve always figured that enough beige cases over the past decades had become sun-drenched to yellow. Enough exposure to computer labs with outdated machines and you find any alternative appealing.

Maybe it’s just me.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

It's similar to trends in A/V for the home. Stereo equipment has been silver, black, wood-grain, etc. "Putty" computer cases were viewed as business-like, but Apple going to "platinum" sort of drove a wedge into the cracks that were showing, and before you know it there's really no such things as business and home computer case colors. Anything goes.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Instant Sunrise posted:

Don't forget the trend of everything being translucent plastic after the iMac.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

flosofl posted:

Orange, brown, green, bright red... these colors are coming back, it seems. I've been furniture shopping recently and you see a lot more variety, to which I say thank gently caress; the last decade or more has been all black and it's loving boring.

Wanna stick my bare feet into that shag Sarlacc pit

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

Don't forget the trend of everything being translucent plastic after the iMac.

Hey, the transparent purple Game Boy color is the only one that looked good. :colbert: All the others were bright neon colors.

I still have fond memories of my Translucent Purple Gameboy Color. Still the best looking color, since the rest were all bright neon colors.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

flosofl posted:

Alternatively it was all brown and olive/pea green, which was the theme of my parents' house, blech

Also I miss white plastic and beige plastic computer cases unironically

e. hey I can't read apparently, you already mentioned those colors, but when I get home I'll try to remember to take a picture of the liquor glasses cabinet I have that I took from that house, with its amber swirly glass inserts in the doors, which is peak 60s/70s to me

Code Jockey has a new favorite as of 19:51 on Aug 14, 2015

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Zonekeeper posted:

Hey, the transparent purple Game Boy color is the only one that looked good. :colbert: All the others were bright neon colors.

I still have fond memories of my Translucent Purple Gameboy Color. Still the best looking color, since the rest were all bright neon colors.

The yellow GBCs owned :colbert:

Code Jockey posted:

Also I miss white plastic and beige plastic computer cases unironically

Same. I tried to buy one last time I built a PC but they're drat near impossible to find. I guess I could go find an old Gateway 486 or something, that was a great era for PC cases.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

...when I get home I'll try to remember to take a picture of the liquor glasses cabinet I have that I took from that house, with its amber swirly glass inserts in the doors, which is peak 60s/70s to me

I bet I know exactly what you mean. Yellow-ish/amber translucent plastic panels for cabinets with ring patterns molded into them. Had them in the cabinet doors covering the wet bar in a place my family rented in the late seventies.

EDIT:

It's this sort of rondel design, but without the stained glass features, right?

Dick Trauma has a new favorite as of 20:17 on Aug 14, 2015

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

WebDog posted:

As for :catdrugs:
Doubt it was anything fancier than the typical methods used to print patterns on fabrics at the time. There was a bit of a pipe-dream going around where you'd buy rolls of paper and cut out your clothes.
Surprisingly they could actually be washed, but that also washed off the protective flame coating, so I suspect only the cheaper versions or something that was made with a blend of material that didn't bond well to ink were the ones that were prone to leaving marks on things.

I was sure, I just liked the idea of a ring of ebay sellers snatching up paper dresses to get high. Sounds like a really good short story, to be honest.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Kaizoku posted:

I’ve always figured that enough beige cases over the past decades had become sun-drenched to yellow. Enough exposure to computer labs with outdated machines and you find any alternative appealing.

Maybe it’s just me.

What I find really baffling was how many companies decided that internal computer parts suddenly had to be cute/cool colors. I have a neon green power supply from an old computer and my current motherboard is black. The video card is blood red. People tend to not see the inside of computers all that often so who the hell cares what color the parts are?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

ToxicSlurpee posted:

What I find really baffling was how many companies decided that internal computer parts suddenly had to be cute/cool colors. I have a neon green power supply from an old computer and my current motherboard is black. The video card is blood red. People tend to not see the inside of computers all that often so who the hell cares what color the parts are?

When you're scrolling through a list of video cards on Newegg, the one with the red PCB tends to catch your eye.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Instant Sunrise posted:

Computers used to be primarily business equipment and hence had inoffensive color schemes similar to lab equipment.

I remember seeing magazine ads, peppered with buzzwords such as "Multimedia" and "CD-ROM", for black, consumer-oriented desktop computers in the mid-90s. I just think the idea of a computer as an electronic entertainment device on par with TVs and stereos simply took that long to really catch on.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

IBM's desktop machines always looked good, beige or black.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

ToxicSlurpee posted:

A ton of PCs have/had plexi windows. It used to be a mod you would do, but a whole lot/most cases have/had them built in.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

A ton of PCs have/had plexi windows. It used to be a mod you would do, but a whole lot/most cases have/had them built in.

After building my first computer with a windowed case, I realized that I payed extra to stare at my dusty components and install a light I kept turned off most of the time.

I now buy simple looking cases with no flashy bits after enduring that pain in the rear end.

I go for function over form now, and I find I actually like simple designs better - there's a simple elegance to a solid black case with minimal embellishment that's well built and easy to work in.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Dick Trauma posted:

I bet I know exactly what you mean. Yellow-ish/amber translucent plastic panels for cabinets with ring patterns molded into them. Had them in the cabinet doors covering the wet bar in a place my family rented in the late seventies.

EDIT:

It's this sort of rondel design, but without the stained glass features, right?

This is exactly it. Sans the stained glass like you said. That's awesome. :v:

Pham Nuwen posted:

IBM's desktop machines always looked good, beige or black.

Completely agree.

e. Also the new file server I built is equipped with a pair of old bright blue lights I found in a machine someone gave me, and a giant blue LED case fan in the front. It's a 4U rack case and mounted with all the lights turned on, it lights the entire garage, it's great.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I can't find a photo of it to save my life but ASUS put out an American flag motherboard right after 9/11. The PCB was red and the PCI slots were bright white, and they'd put whatever components they could find in blue on it, too. I thought it was the silliest thing, but when it went on sale at Tigerdirect after the fervor died down, I ended up picking one up. Looked great with all the blue neon and LEDs I'd crammed into my case :coal:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Zonekeeper posted:

After building my first computer with a windowed case, I realized that I payed extra to stare at my dusty components and install a light I kept turned off most of the time.

I now buy simple looking cases with no flashy bits after enduring that pain in the rear end.

I go for function over form now, and I find I actually like simple designs better - there's a simple elegance to a solid black case with minimal embellishment that's well built and easy to work in.

When I helped my brother build a PC back in high school, we got a case that seemed nice and big, good for our purposes... we didn't realize it had 6 massively bright blue LEDs along the edges of the front. They would blast out across the room and more or less totally illuminate the opposite wall. Completely ridiculous.

Even my latest case, which is otherwise quite nice, has such a bright blue power LED that it would cast a 6' spot on the opposite wall until I covered it with painter's tape and scribbled over that with black marker. Now it's just bright, not stupid.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

You know what consumer electronics / PC hardware trend I really hope dies out soon? The practice of including eye searingly bright blue LED's on everything.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Instant Sunrise posted:

You know what consumer electronics / PC hardware trend I really hope dies out soon? The practice of including eye searingly bright blue LED's on everything.

And bring back the soft red and green LEDs from the 70's and 80's. :corsair:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

tribbledirigible posted:

And bring back the soft red and green LEDs from the 70's and 80's. :corsair:

Bring back nixie tubes and incandescent bulbs! :corsair: x2

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

KozmoNaut posted:

Bring back nixie tubes and incandescent bulbs! :corsair: x2

Ditto.

Mostly because I want the Woz's watch.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Jmcrofts posted:

When you're scrolling through a list of video cards on Newegg, the one with the red PCB tends to catch your eye.

Guess that makes sense but this one I bought because it was the best card within the price range I had at the time. It just happened to be the red one.

I had a power supply for a while that was actually meant for case mods. It was tacky as hell and had some LEDs on it but I bought it because it was cheap and fit my needs. Somebody at a LAN party asked me if I was getting into case modding and I was like "no." It was weird; I had an old-fashioned white metal case on that computer and it did look kind of like I was being ironic, I guess.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Instant Sunrise posted:

CRT-TVs went through an all-black to all-silver color scheme in the 90s/00s before flat screens became the norm.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Computers used to be primarily business equipment and hence had inoffensive color schemes similar to lab equipment.

I think this is primarily it - and as much as I hate to say, I think Apple started getting people away from the usual boring beige/white cases when they started doing the multi-colored iMacs. At the time it was like 90s as gently caress and I thought it was dumb as hell, but it wasn't long after that it seemed like more colors and sizes became mainstream with computer cases. I will say I don't miss lugging around those old-rear end heavy steel towers and was SO happy when cases became more lightweight while keeping sturdy and roomy, an old Enermax full tower case I used to have weighed like 25 pounds with nothing in it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I highly, HIGHLY (warning, terrible Web 2.0 website) Light Dims. Lets you dim out every single drat LED on your equipment. Now my fricking TV doesn't announce its brand all night, nor do my chargers happily inform me that they are plugged in.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Mister Kingdom posted:

CRT-TVs went through an all-black to all-silver color scheme in the 90s/00s before flat screens became the norm.

Don't we all have a 300 lb flatscreen CRT to play our NESs and Genesis' on? Mine is silver.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Mister Kingdom posted:

I have a silver flat-screen CRT.

For a while, the sides of channels would appear fuzzy, and I eventually realized that it was because the broadcast was taking screen curvature into account.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

titties posted:

Don't we all have a 300 lb flatscreen CRT to play our NESs and Genesis' on? Mine is silver.

Same, absolutely amazing 480i component-capable 27" CRT that I will never get rid of, ever

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I highly, HIGHLY (warning, terrible Web 2.0 website) Light Dims. Lets you dim out every single drat LED on your equipment. Now my fricking TV doesn't announce its brand all night, nor do my chargers happily inform me that they are plugged in.

For what amounts to stickers, they want a king's ransom.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Instant Sunrise posted:

They're moving towards white LEDs these days if new electronics are to be believed, and they're not always toning down the brightness.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Code Jockey posted:

Same, absolutely amazing 480i component-capable 27" CRT that I will never get rid of, ever

32" Trinitron 4 lyfe (because it can't be moved out)

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

titties posted:

I had a 27" Philips for about 12 years. It weighed over 100 lbs. It was the only thing I needed help moving. I tried to give it to Goodwill, but they didn't want it. I set it out by the dumpster at my apartment complex on a Saturday afternoon and it was gone by the next morning. It still worked but would take about 10 minutes to warm up.

I still have a 19" flat screen CRT TV in the bedroom.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

$16 for some stickers? I'll just keep using electrical tape.

Also I can't wait for this interior design trend of everything being various shades of bright white to die off. Some color please!

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

I have a 26" Toshiba HDCRT that's sitting in storage until I get moved in to my new place, it makes HD and SD look good. Right now though, I'm just using my PC, which I stuck a CableCARD tuner into a few years ago. (Which itself, is pretty much another failed technology at this point)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

$16 for some stickers? I'll just keep using electrical tape.

Also I can't wait for this interior design trend of everything being various shades of bright white to die off. Some color please!

Hmm. They're $8.50 on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/LightDims-Original-Strength%C2%AE-Minimal-Packaging/dp/B00CLVEQCO The thing that makes them better than electrical tape is that you can still see the LED. This means that if you really want to, you can check whether the TV/sound system/DVD player actually is on.