Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Athenry posted:

I actually cracked the plastic on my NES advantage around the joystick from pushing right too hard. Still works fine.

Are you the Hulk :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Jibo posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but aren't these for disaster relief and they only churn them out as needed? I remember Anheuser Busch gave a poo poo ton of water to the 2004 tsunami relief.

Pretty much, so far as I know. Though that's exactly what the situation was with Civil Defense stores, just those were produced before the disaster. I don't know if canned water.

Zack_Gochuck posted:

What advantage does a can have over a plastic bottle in that situation? Just curious.

Cans stack better and ship/store better than plastic water bottles, and converting canning lines to water production for disaster supplies goes back a long time before bottled water was a mainstream retail item. When it's a beer brewer doing it, cans are cheaper to produce and ship than bottles too, though the thin plastic used for water bottles is probably cheaper than either so I doubt that's a current concern.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zack_Gochuck posted:

What advantage does a can have over a plastic bottle in that situation? Just curious.

In the case of Busch, they're already selling water in cans.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Like the others said, in cases of natural disasters where there's a huge demand for water they have the supplies and infrastructure to make and distibute cans, so they do that. It's a quick and dirty fix that might not be as efficient as bottled water, but it fills the need and it fills it quickly.

I used to live in Jacksonville FL where they have an Anheuser-Busch factory, when Hurricane Katrina hit and all the shipping channels were effectively closed off they cleared out all the backed-up inventory by sending out absurdly awesome coupons to stores. You could buy a case for a few bucks, people were filling entire shopping carts with beer :w00t:

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Sagebrush posted:

Tens if not hundreds of thousands of people have seen Cerenkov radiation in person. For example, every nuclear scientist, and every person who's ever worked around an immersion research reactor, like that at Texas A&M and hundreds of other universities worldwide. What you saw was basically standard operating procedure -- as long as you have that twenty feet of water between you and the reactor core it's perfectly safe.
Sure. I get that. But in the billions of people in the world, that's still a very small number. I don't know anyone else that's seen it.

700,000 (your high estimate of number of people who've seen Cherenkov radiation) / 7,000,000,000 (population of the world) = 0.0001 or 0.01% of the world population.

I am the 0.01%.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Along these lines, do you or anyone else remember the what the "extra large" drink cups at places used to look like? Rather than the normal cup and lid that we have everywhere today, some places used to have these strange cups that were round at the bottom like a regular cup then would become more boxy as along the top.

Rather than a lid, the top folded in like a milk carton with a plastic tab holding it together and you punched out a hole to put your straw through.
OK, it took me a moment, but I do remember these. I was very young though. I think they were only around for a year or two. I remember them not working very well, lots of failures and it was difficult to seal the top properly.

The pull tabs, though, I do remember them. Manufacturing tolerances meant that some were easy to pull and some were fantastically hard. Sometimes the pull would break off in your hand, leaving an unopened can or a partially opened can you still couldn't drink out of. The only solution then was to either churchkey another hole or use a pair of pliers to rip the tab out. I don't think anyone missed them when they were gone.

einTier has a new favorite as of 20:10 on Nov 15, 2012

Enilev
Jun 11, 2001

Domesticated

Phanatic posted:

Pyrex stuff

I'm a little late replying to this, but you can still get borosilicate cookware. There's a company called Marinex that still makes it. They sell on Amazon, as well. I've been really happy the pieces I've bought so far.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Killer robot posted:

I don't remember those days, but I do remember this era:

Pull tabs...

We had those when I was a kid (70s) and we were always told not to drop the pull tab into the open can for fear of swallowing it and dying.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Mister Kingdom posted:

We had those when I was a kid (70s) and we were always told not to drop the pull tab into the open can for fear of swallowing it and dying.

That was featured on an episode of Emergency! Some tubby old dude used to dropping the tab into his beers and he was choking on it. The thought of that thing stuck in there disturbed me.

While we're on soda can chat I don't think anyone's mentioned press button cans. They were an attempt to get away from pull tabs where you had to push in two "buttons" on top of the can: a large one to pour, and a smaller one for pressure relief. Some pour buttons were round, others curved but all were sort of annoying because you could wind up sticking a finger into your soda.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

I would be scared to cut my finger on that, or is it not sharp? :psyduck:

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Code Jockey posted:

Nope, it's sharp as poo poo.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
They were pre-cut and had a similar edge to a pull tab. Not likely to cut you unless you were really clumsy jamming a finger into the pour hole. Of course sometimes the little tabs broke right off into the can, or the pre-cut was no good and all you could do was squash the tab in a bit and then have to use the end of a fork to bash it in.

Obsolete and failed.

CrunchyTaco
Dec 25, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

Haha how precious that question was. Look at Dick Trauma's avatar and then picture that being a real possibility every time you bought a soda.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
On the topic of canning and bottling from the last couple of pages, I was watching How It's Made or similar and was surprised to learn that, in the case of Coke anyway, all the PET bottles are made from the same blank, that is a capsule of PET with the screw already moulded, but the bottom is just like a small test tube of thick plastic that gets blown out to the mould size.

(something like that)

Which is why the 390ml (13 fl oz) bottle is like half an inch thick at the bottom, and the 3 litre bottles are paper thin.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

TS44, TS44 Deluxe, TS22-209, and a rather early GPS
They still work (mostly), but it's only a matter of time.

Totally Reasonable has a new favorite as of 01:53 on Nov 16, 2012

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

leidend posted:

I had that too but completely forgot about it. Didn't love it as much as you. The slider controlled the rate of turbo (and maybe slow mo as the poster above said, but I forget).

On a similar note, this was my joystick of choice for Commodore 64.

I always thought it was a better/more comfortable design than the NES gamepad. Even had a trigger button under your index finger, which wasn't seen again for decades.

Those Epyx joysticks were awesome. Much more comfortable than the Atari ones to use.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

CrunchyTaco posted:

Haha how precious that question was. Look at Dick Trauma's avatar and then picture that being a real possibility every time you bought a soda.

I'm not sure I want to know why you were opening soda cans with your dick.

Those drat pulltabs were the reason I got into the habit of drinking through my teeth - I know it's terrible for them, and I spend extra time on dental hygiene for it, but I can't get past the anxiety of something solid being in my drink that's going to get into my mouth and throat.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

WescottF1 posted:

Those Epyx joysticks were awesome. Much more comfortable than the Atari ones to use.

Look at these noobs who couldn't get a hold of a TAC-2.
Back in the days of the VIC-20 one of my teachers at the time had a joystick that was essentially a BMX bicycle handgrip. You held it vertically and could tilt it to act like a joystick and I think you could squeeze it for the fire button. Presumably it used mercury switches or something similar.
It was awful (and not shown below. That's the awesome TAC-2, obviously.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.

Dick Trauma posted:

That was featured on an episode of Emergency!

Almost the entire run of Emergency! belongs here. It's crazy to watch the early episodes on Netflix and marvel at how anyone survived even small accidents in the days when paramedics were some strange, new, untested idea.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

leidend posted:

I always thought it was a better/more comfortable design than the NES gamepad. Even had a trigger button under your index finger, which wasn't seen again for decades.

It's worth pointing out that a lot of these Commodore/Atari 8-bit era joysticks are set up so that you use the stick with your right hand and the buttons with your left. Crazy poo poo.

It's never made sense to me and everyone in my family uses Atari joysticks with a hands crossed grip.

Edit: Anyone else have these wireless joysticks?

A FUCKIN CANARY!! has a new favorite as of 05:30 on Nov 16, 2012

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

WescottF1 posted:

I had a couple, they didn't last long at all. The Atari one's were much robust, you could bludgeon someone to death with the standard 2600 ones.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I don't even know what a hands crossed grip is. That epyx set up was very natural to me.

But I also liked the original xbox controller and am one of those weirdos who uses both my middle and index fingers on modern controller triggers. And chose the Sega Saturn over the PS1 due to the superior controller

I was trying to find a really weird C64 controller I had, but I can't even find a pic of it. Was shaped roughly like a boomerang, with full hand grips on each side and an NES style four-direction pad in the middle, perpendicular to the usual side the direction pad is on. Horrible to use, but sure looked futuristic to me at the time.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

einTier posted:

Sure. I get that. But in the billions of people in the world, that's still a very small number. I don't know anyone else that's seen it.

700,000 (your high estimate of number of people who've seen Cherenkov radiation) / 7,000,000,000 (population of the world) = 0.0001 or 0.01% of the world population.

I am the 0.01%.

OK, it took me a moment, but I do remember these. I was very young though. I think they were only around for a year or two. I remember them not working very well, lots of failures and it was difficult to seal the top properly.

The pull tabs, though, I do remember them. Manufacturing tolerances meant that some were easy to pull and some were fantastically hard. Sometimes the pull would break off in your hand, leaving an unopened can or a partially opened can you still couldn't drink out of. The only solution then was to either churchkey another hole or use a pair of pliers to rip the tab out. I don't think anyone missed them when they were gone.

au contraire

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

leidend posted:

But I also liked the original xbox controller and am one of those weirdos who uses both my middle and index fingers on modern controller triggers.

I like you. Let's be friends.

I have giant loving hands, and the original massive xbox controller feels great to me. I have a pile of them, since I use an xbox for an emulation station now. Feels good, man.

I didn't have any fun controllers for my C64 though, just a standard ol' flight stick style joystick. I feel like I was missing out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr_Person posted:

It's worth pointing out that a lot of these Commodore/Atari 8-bit era joysticks are set up so that you use the stick with your right hand and the buttons with your left. Crazy poo poo.

It's never made sense to me and everyone in my family uses Atari joysticks with a hands crossed grip.

Edit: Anyone else have these wireless joysticks?

I have a set of those wireless Atari controllers in the original box in storage at my mom's house.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

WescottF1 posted:

Epyx joystick? Where? That's the Konix Speed King. I always hated them.

Now here's a real joystick:

I don't know if it's really obsolete, though. It was used as the model for the C64 Direct-to-TV, and apparently a USB edition was released a couple of years ago.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Ahh, the competition pro. Still making them?
I never had one myself, mainly used the old atari controller* for arcade style games as it worked on the c64, or a quickshot 'fighter plane' type for driving/flying games.

*edit the paddle type that came with later 2600s, so not a square base if you know what I mean, I've seen it called the atari supercontroller. It was great for punishing a stick and it never broke, but a real PITA to use for extended periods, which is why I used a 'aircraft fighter' style stick on a table for driving and flying games.

Fo3 has a new favorite as of 13:08 on Nov 16, 2012

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Fo3 posted:

Ahh, the competition pro. Still making them?

So it seems. I still have my original, and it still works - they built them tough in those days.

The best controller I ever used in the 8-bit days is so obscure I can't even find an image of it now. It was a D-Pad controller called the WizPad which looked a lot like the Famicom controller, except it was held vertically with the D-Pad at the top. This meant it could be used with either thumb on the D-Pad while your other thumb was below on the buttons. It was comfy, responsive, and best of all you could cheat like a motherfucker at joystick-wagglers by pushing the D-Pad down in the middle.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Jedit posted:

Epyx joystick? Where? That's the Konix Speed King. I always hated them.

Now here's a real joystick:

I don't know if it's really obsolete, though. It was used as the model for the C64 Direct-to-TV, and apparently a USB edition was released a couple of years ago.

That's a Kempston stick, and they ruled for C64/Spectrum gaming. Very distinct and it clicked when you moved it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Newsflash: Almost every joystick out there back in the day was sold in different (and non-different) colour and button configurations by about 5000 companies under various names. Especially that one ^^^

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
The worst part of sticks in those days was the internal mechanism though, which depending on the manufacturer of the stick could be horribly fragile and easily broken.

A common method was to use leaf switches inside which basically close a circuit when the stick is pushed in a certain direction, resulting in that familiar clicking sound. In some cases, the leaf switches were fragile enough to actually break off due to repeated stress, especially with notorious games like Decathlon which used stick waggling as control method. That game could tear through a Quickshot in minutes if you wanted to get a decent result.

Unfortunately I cannot find any pictures of what such a stick looks like inside, but I opened up a few back in the days to find a broken leaf switch, resulting in a gimped stick.

However, I did come across this thing which I also recall using at one point:

You push the ball in the direction you want it to move, and the buttons are off on the side(With a left/right hand switch to select which side) Uses the same leaf switch/microswitch technology so it's pure digital, and the LEDs near the buttons light up when pushed.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Going back to the nuclear chat.
That yellow pen looking thing is an old instant read dosimeter.

It is an evacuated glass tube that you apply a high voltage charge to as it gets hit by radiation the voltage drops. To read it you can look through it at a light and see a tiny needle that tells you the dose or more accurately by putting it back in the charging base and read out the voltage.

Pretty much every time someone retires at work we find those in desk drawers or lockers. They used to cost a shitload of money. They are incredibly obsolete as newer electronic EPD's have far better accuracy and can read low doses.

Working in the nuclear industry you see so much obsolete technology but I can't say I have run into much failed technology.

Here is one I would love to see go. Meet Snoopy the neutron radiation detector. It is huge and heavy and has been the standard since the 1940's. Typically used in areas were you don't want to spend alot of time lugging heavy poo poo around in.

http://www.fusor.net/board/view.php?bn=fusor_neutrons&key=1070060131

Only registered members can see post attachments!

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Joyball is a fantastic term that I'm going to work into regular conversation.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Smoke posted:

However, I did come across this thing which I also recall using at one point:

You push the ball in the direction you want it to move, and the buttons are off on the side(With a left/right hand switch to select which side) Uses the same leaf switch/microswitch technology so it's pure digital, and the LEDs near the buttons light up when pushed.
Aw. I was hoping for another Space Orb 360.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Smoke posted:

A common method was to use leaf switches inside which basically close a circuit when the stick is pushed in a certain direction, resulting in that familiar clicking sound. In some cases, the leaf switches were fragile enough to actually break off due to repeated stress, especially with notorious games like Decathlon which used stick waggling as control method. That game could tear through a Quickshot in minutes if you wanted to get a decent result.

I like how joystick went away and were replaced by d-pads, because the joysticks weren't analog anyway. But then when the actual analog joystick came with the N64, they went right back to making joystick mangling games like Mario Party.

I had two controllers that I brought to friends' houses when we had gaming nights. One was for 99% of games...and the other was my poo poo one for Mario Party. Nothing worse than trying to play Goldeneye or Perfect Dark with those lovely N64 controllers with about half an inch of travel in every direction while at the "zero" point.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

leidend posted:

I don't even know what a hands crossed grip is. That epyx set up was very natural to me.

But I also liked the original xbox controller and am one of those weirdos who uses both my middle and index fingers on modern controller triggers.

Where you run the joystick with your left hand and press the button by snaking your right index finger under your left palm.

I didn't realize there were people who didn't use their middle fingers for triggers. It's not like there's anything else it could be doing (except for in fighting games).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mr_Person posted:

I didn't realize there were people who didn't use their middle fingers for triggers. It's not like there's anything else it could be doing (except for in fighting games).

I've had some use out of it playing internet Scrabble. That's not a word, fucker!

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Mr_Person posted:

Where you run the joystick with your left hand and press the button by snaking your right index finger under your left palm.

The reason lies somewhere between the fact that R2/L2 really weren't used much until sometime in the middle of the PS2's life and that pulling a trigger feels much more natural with your index finger.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Mr_Person posted:

People tend to grip the controller with them so it has more than the ring and pinky fingers for support. My PS3's controller feels really awkward whenever I try to put my fingers on both sets of triggers; its center of gravity ends up way out in front with nothing underneath.

Sham bam bamina! has a new favorite as of 02:20 on Nov 17, 2012

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
HitClips!! CD's are now obsolete!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Jerry Cotton posted:

Newsflash: Almost every joystick out there back in the day was sold in different (and non-different) colour and button configurations by about 5000 companies under various names. Especially that one ^^^

Kempaton was the original, sure there were knockoffs. They also made a joystick interface for Sinclair Spectrum computers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kempston_joystick