Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Moo the cow posted:

To the uninitiated, it may look like a broken iPod.

To those in the know, it is a repaired iPod - using a CF card adaptor. Unfortunately, because iTunes is such a dumpster fire, I can't get it to restore it. But at least I have a different error message on it.
Have you tried Rockbox on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Japan keeps all the cutest cars for themselves, but Americans probably are too fat for most of them.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

Imagined posted:

Japan keeps all the cutest cars for themselves, but Americans probably are too fat for most of them.

A lot of them did make it to Europe, like those microvans are pretty rare these days but they used to be fairly common and Suzuki and Daihatsu offer a whole bunch of mostly tiny comedy cars to this day.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

GutBomb posted:

About a year ago I downsized my retro-game collection by selling a lot of my console collection and listed two 27” CRTs on the local classifieds for free. Here’s a voice mail I got from an interested party.

https://youtu.be/AHMVVp6rG-8

Lmao what the he k

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Phanatic posted:

I used to work at Incredible Universe...

I credit IU for being able to buy my very first Mac, a Performa 631CD. There was a "Black Hole" literal pile of unboxed odds and sods at a large discount. I grabbed the Mac, a 14" Apple MultipleScan monitor with speaker, and accessories.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

The Wurst Poster posted:

Those projection TVs looked like poo poo is because they required regular maintenance. It's something that would be conveniently never mentioned on the show floor. No sane person would haul their monstrosity to a repair shop. Unless of course you are someone who's in intense competition with Joneses who would pay for in house service.

My parents had one of those old projection TVs & asked if I wanted it in my dinky apartment when they bought a new 40" LCD. Hahaha, gently caress that noise, it was a piece of crap anyways & unless you wanna pay a moving company to haul that fucker up 3 flights of stairs in an apartment building with no elevators, I ain't interested.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/280703689693395

Saw this Marketplace listing for a vinyl wrap machine. Look at the ancient Compaq and CRT used to control it.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Johnny Aztec posted:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/280703689693395

Saw this Marketplace listing for a vinyl wrap machine. Look at the ancient Compaq and CRT used to control it.

They took good care of it though.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

LifeSunDeath posted:

always wanted a japanese micro truck, but drat they do not seem comfortable to ride in

In case you aren't familiar with Regular Car Reviews (or hey, even if you are), check out their review of the Kei van. The video is "the automotive equivalent of talking about those weird flavors of Kit Kats."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL_T4Lr0uu8

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

LifeSunDeath posted:

always wanted a japanese micro truck, but drat they do not seem comfortable to ride in

As A Slightly Tall Person, I feel I would be physically unable to drive this. I have sat in the driver seat of several mass market US cars and even with the seat back all the way my knees/thighs are on the bottom of the steering wheel. Never mind the fact that the wheel wells are part of your foot space.

Can you drive this if you are not a manlet? My mother in law had a Mitsubishi Lancer that I could not drive. My legs were so tight against the steering wheel I could not turn.

lil bip
Mar 13, 2004

That ain't workin', that's the way you do it

WITCHCRAFT posted:

As A Slightly Tall Person, I feel I would be physically unable to drive this. I have sat in the driver seat of several mass market US cars and even with the seat back all the way my knees/thighs are on the bottom of the steering wheel. Never mind the fact that the wheel wells are part of your foot space.

Can you drive this if you are not a manlet? My mother in law had a Mitsubishi Lancer that I could not drive. My legs were so tight against the steering wheel I could not turn.

As another tallish person, I can say they are drive-able, but you wouldn't want to be going very far and the feeling of constant dread if you you had an accident is always there. At least the driver seat can usually have some adjustment, but if you are in the passenger seat, then you are just legs against dash, enjoying every bump in the road.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

WITCHCRAFT posted:

Can you drive this if you are not a manlet?

Not in Saudi Arabia.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

lil bip posted:

As another tallish person, I can say they are drive-able, but you wouldn't want to be going very far and the feeling of constant dread if you you had an accident is always there. At least the driver seat can usually have some adjustment, but if you are in the passenger seat, then you are just legs against dash, enjoying every bump in the road.

Unfortunately the crumple zone tends to be the footwells in an accident.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Catzilla posted:

Unfortunately the crumple zone tends to be the footwells in an accident.

On the bright side, it'll solve the problem for the next time around of being too tall to drive a kei van.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

I just bought a car with a cassette player and thought it would be fun to make myself some proper mix tapes for it. Easier said than done. The one cassette recorder I have turns out not to work, and can only record from the radio anyway. No problem, charity shops always have a few old hifis or cassette decks, I'll just get one of those. But no. Not one for sale in the whole town. Not even a lovely old midi-system.

But then I remembered something, I own one of these briefcase music centres:

So I dig that out, blow off the dust and to my amazement the tape deck works. Sounds good, even. But there's no ordinary 3.5mm input, it uses separate 3.5mm jacks for each channel. But I can work around that. I grab a 12v wall wart and some bits of bent wire and use that to power an in car FM transmitter, bluetooth my laptop to that and now I have the laptop audio running through the briefcase's radio. I stick a black tape in, hit record, set the level and the needle suggests the recording is going well. Except it has not, it's just silent.

The whole thing was surprising. If you'd asked me a couple days ago if I can record cassettes, I'd have said yes!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Horace posted:

My Dad had (as near as I can remember) that very same model when I was growing up.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
That thing looks amazing, like something an East German DJ would have.

What's the brand and model so I can pine after it?

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

It's the Sanyo G-2615N. My grandfather bought it at Harrods.

The thrills of stereo in an attache case. It can run on D cell batteries, and actually sounds decent. I wouldn't put any precious vinyl under that stylus though!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

lil bip posted:

I got to take a few laps in a Trabant last year. It's so loud you have to use a stage voice to hear each other over the engine (which sounds like a lawnmower), it belches huge clouds of exhaust and smells of gasoline and exhaust fumes inside, the ride is bumpy, and since I'm 6'2 my knees were against the dash and my head close to the roof. It was like being in a breadbox powered by a go-kart engine.

One of the guys at the meetup took some guests over a speed hump so hard that he caught air.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Horace posted:

I just bought a car with a cassette player and thought it would be fun to make myself some proper mix tapes for it. Easier said than done. The one cassette recorder I have turns out not to work, and can only record from the radio anyway. No problem, charity shops always have a few old hifis or cassette decks, I'll just get one of those. But no. Not one for sale in the whole town. Not even a lovely old midi-system.

So I dig that out, blow off the dust and to my amazement the tape deck works. Sounds good, even. But there's no ordinary 3.5mm input, it uses separate 3.5mm jacks for each channel. But I can work around that. I grab a 12v wall wart and some bits of bent wire and use that to power an in car FM transmitter, bluetooth my laptop to that and now I have the laptop audio running through the briefcase's radio. I stick a black tape in, hit record, set the level and the needle suggests the recording is going well. Except it has not, it's just silent.

The whole thing was surprising. If you'd asked me a couple days ago if I can record cassettes, I'd have said yes!

I'd say the answer is still no.

E:sorry I'm a bit too drunk to really comprehend the signal flow. I think I"m having a stroke.
E2: Ok. I think i got it. I assumed that the sentence about the separate 3.5 channels had something to do with the power supply part.

RoyKeen has a new favorite as of 02:24 on Aug 7, 2020

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/bphennessy/status/1292282665559785474

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Kamrat posted:

Had a 32" widescreen CRT TV, it was so heavy it was hard to move by myself, once I got it in place I would never move it again until I got rid of it.

But I knew it was worse for some people, I knew one guy with a projection television, something like this

My buddy bought a (to my memory) 40" Sony WEGA back around 2000. That thing must have weighed 400 lbs. It was very pretty, but you had to consider the floor under it for point load. I don't know how much he paid for it but it must have been obscene. God help you if your kid tipped it over on themselves. poo poo, if you tipped it on yourself you'd be pretty messed up.

Still, it had great picture. The old front projection TVs sucked. Fuzzy and terrible.

Now I can get a 38" LCD TV for $250 at Costco. The times, they are a changin'.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I had a 20" WEGA for a long time, and even at that screen size it was a beast. Excellent image. I made the leap to a 32" LCD and it's funny how much less it weighs.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Yeah I still have my 26" Sanyo CRT TV, and it weighs a ton. My 46" LCD weighs a fraction of it. I keep it around because it's got a great picture, t h i c c scanlines and takes component input.

The Sanyo has absolutely nothing on my 20" Ikegami broadcast monitor, which I made the mistake of trying to move by myself once. My back still hasn't forgiven me.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kamrat posted:

Had a 32" widescreen CRT TV, it was so heavy it was hard to move by myself, once I got it in place I would never move it again until I got rid of it.

But I knew it was worse for some people, I knew one guy with a projection television, something like this

There's one of these on the curb for free near me, next to a lovely chair that has a sign that says $30 on it

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Plinkey posted:

There's one of these on the curb for free near me, next to a lovely chair that has a sign that says $30 on it
Imagine what scrambled po4n would look like on that thing! :goatdrugs:

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
If you want to sell your CRTs, just call up a Smash Melee community, and you’ll be swimming in dough.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i still use a 32 inch wega for retro games, mine takes rgb scart and while it's not a pvm it's a very clear and bright and colorful image

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I have a 69" CRT VDU but it only weighs 420 kg.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FilthyImp posted:

Imagine what scrambled po4n would look like on that thing! :goatdrugs:

no, it's staying there

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I have a 69" CRT VDU but it only weighs 420 kg.

nice

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
It's quite amazing how what's considered big/small has changed as well, when I had my 32" crt everyone kept saying how big my tv was. Fast forward to today and some people mention that my 32" lcd is small.

In the 90's one of my friends got himself a 20" crt computer monitor and it felt so huge, by todays standards that's quite small. But I didn't envy that guy during LAN parties since it must've been a pain to lug that one along.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kamrat posted:

It's quite amazing how what's considered big/small has changed as well, when I had my 32" crt everyone kept saying how big my tv was. Fast forward to today and some people mention that my 32" lcd is small.

In the 90's one of my friends got himself a 20" crt computer monitor and it felt so huge, by todays standards that's quite small. But I didn't envy that guy during LAN parties since it must've been a pain to lug that one along.

Isn't a 32" 16:9 smaller than a 32" 4:3?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Kamrat posted:

We used to rotate computers at our LAN cause the guy with the 20" CRT monitor had a decided advantage over the scrounged 15" ones. And if you were winning you had to switch to the clamshell Powerbook.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

mostlygray posted:

Now I can get a 38" LCD TV for $250 at Costco. The times, they are a changin'.

That sounds absurdly expensive for a 38”. Aren’t those like $150 now?

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

lord funk posted:

We used to rotate computers at our LAN cause the guy with the 20" CRT monitor had a decided advantage over the scrounged 15" ones. And if you were winning you had to switch to the clamshell Powerbook.

No such rules at our LAN-parties unfortunately

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Height wise yes, but my crt was a widescreen, forgot to mention this

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

3D Megadoodoo posted:

what kind of maniac doesn't use a 16:10 for a computer

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

3D Megadoodoo posted:

A 32" 4:3 would be 25.6" x 19.2" whereas a 16:9 would be 27.9" x 15.7". The 4:3 technically has more area. Use that how you will.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Plinkey posted:

what kind of maniac doesn't use a 16:10 for a computer

LOL if u even know. Widescreen is widescreen.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

3D Megadoodoo posted:

LOL if u even know. Widescreen is widescreen.

i could tell on smaller monitors, like when they were 20-22 inches, but yeah after 24 it doesn't make much of a difference

e: my first LCD was a I think 21" 4:3 talk about obsolete

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Last Chance posted:

That sounds absurdly expensive for a 38”. Aren’t those like $150 now?

For like a 720p roku tv i think. The 4k 38" sets at Walmart go for around 250 - 300