Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

Imagined posted:

How badly are LDs affected by bit rot?

Disc rot, unless you're only asking about the audio track :pseudo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Speaking of disc rot, here's the only gold CD I've ever owned and you can probably see why they were so uncommon.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gromit posted:

Speaking of disc rot, here's the only gold CD I've ever owned and you can probably see why they were so uncommon.

Ugh, I should probably check my late 90's King Diamond CDs

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

Ugh, I should probably check my late 90's King Diamond CDs

I understand 100% of King Diamond CDs were ruined at the time of pressing.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

dobbymoodge posted:

I understand 100% of King Diamond CDs were ruined at the time of pressing.

:drat:

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Gromit posted:

I thought the Kodak gold CD-Rs were the best though?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Gromit posted:

It's not surprising CDs ended up with this at all. The data layer is on top, protected only by a label and/or a coating of epoxy. If whatever adhesive/epoxy twas used starts to degrade.. welp. Interestingly I have observed that with some of my own CD media, a lot of my CD-Rs have held up better than commercially produced discs. The cheap no label CD-Rs are falling apart, but the branded ones with thicker labels seem to be holding up well.

I am wondering if DVDs will hold up any better over time due to the data layer being sandwiched between 2 layers of plastic. But then again this didn't help LaserDisc at all, which is of a similar construction.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Buttcoin purse posted:

I thought the Kodak gold CD-Rs were the best though?

CD-Rs are a whole different animal.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gromit posted:

Does this have any relation to Gold Plastic Syndrome? It seems like metallic-coloured plastics have a tendency to fall apart over time.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I picked up a couple Zunes at a garage sale today. $15 for both.

That outer packaging is hilarious. If you rub your fingernail on it, it leave those white marks. The black one is practically new. Not a scratch on it, headphones and microfiber case still in the package, and the silicone case was never opened. The white one was used, but kept in a case so it's still in good shape. Both charged right up and played fine.

I used to have a black one but the screen died on it long ago. Some day I hope to find a gen2 but I was pretty happy to find these. I think I'm going to see if they temporarily brick themselves on December 31st this year like they all did in 2008 due to the leap year.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

try to get the two zunes to squirt each other

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Last Chance posted:

hot

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Last Chance posted:

Welcome to the social

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Here's something new to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-q8ehzHeQQ

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Last Chance posted:

soggy zune party, no thanks.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

I wonder if in the entire life of the Zune if anyone ever used that function outside of a product demo or review.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

I wonder if in the entire life of the Zune if anyone ever used a Zune outside of a product demo or review.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Sweevo posted:

I wonder if in the entire life of the Zune if anyone ever used a Zune outside of a product demo or review.

he likely did, but if he didn't it would be even more hilarious.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sweevo posted:

The zune was pretty good, in my experience. I liked it more than my iPod.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

This is dope

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Sweevo posted:

I bought a Zune HD and loved it for many years, and the Zune software was my MP3 player on my PC for many years as well. Still have the HD and turn it on once in a while just to check that it still works.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I used to work in a PC repair shop and the owner used to go to the suppliers all the time, he'd basically spend his profits there while picking bits up for customers.
He had the first mp3 player I'd ever seen, it was 16mb and it took about 2 hours to fill it with 8 low quality mp3s via parallel port.
His justification for it was it didn't skip when he was at the gym, like we knew it was version 1 of something cool, but in itself it was pretty poo poo
Mp3s were not really a thing online yet either so you had to rip your CDs to get them which took ages and would often fail

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I have a distinct memory of helping a friend convert songs to .WAV because his system wasn't fast enough to run MP3s.

Yes, that was a thing that could happen. A low Pentium 1 didn't have the clock cycles to decode a MP3.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Sweevo posted:

I had a friend in high school who swore by it and called me a traitor for buying an ipod in college lol

I distinctly remember considering Zunes at that time but that was when MS had decided to do just flash memory instead of spinny disks and there was like no space on the drives

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Johnny Aztec posted:

I have a distinct memory of helping a friend convert songs to .WAV because his system wasn't fast enough to run MP3s.

Yes, that was a thing that could happen. A low Pentium 1 didn't have the clock cycles to decode a MP3.

Absolutely, it was a big thing amongst early adopters, my buddy had a good PC and it still took ages.
This was in the days of being able to sell and make a fortune on burning CDs full of poo poo for people.
There was a famous series of disks called 'blobbies' which were basically 10 3DFX games with the FMV ripped out, man the memories.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Ahhh, the good ole days of downloading South Park .WAV clips, and spending all evening in Microsoft Comic Chat

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
DO-DO-DO-DOUBLE POST

I was cleaning through my storage yesterday and decided to take a picture of this.
The top lid comes up at the next ring,it just needs some fixing.

Okay, so the top is obviously a phonograph, but you see those two doors in the middle? Those open up to reveal radio controls. I didn't open it because the knobs are missing and the doors are hard to open, without them.
Oh, it also has a giant single speaker in the bottom section.

It'll be a neat piece , once it's restored.
I bought it for like 5 bucks,at an auction. But you know something about this that you can't see?

IT IS loving GODDAMN HEAVY I'm not being dramatic here. The thing is loving dense! It's hard to even scoot! I'm not going to win any Strongman contests, but I am not a wilting violet, either.
I can't pick it up. It's all I can do to scoot it 1/4th an inch at a time.

Johnny Aztec has a new favorite as of 15:57 on Sep 26, 2020

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

DO-DO-DO-DOUBLE POST

I was cleaning through my storage yesterday and decided to take a picture of this.
The top lid comes up at the next ring,it just needs some fixing.

Okay, so the top is obviously a phonograph, but you see those two doors in the middle? Those open up to reveal radio controls. I didn't open it because the knobs are missing and the doors are hard to open, without them.
Oh, it also has a giant single speaker in the bottom section.

It'll be a neat piece , once it's restored.
I bought it for like 5 bucks,at an auction. But you know something about this that you can't see?

IT IS loving GODDAMN HEAVY I'm not being dramatic here. The thing is loving dense! It's hard to even scoot! I'm not going to win any Strongman contests, but I am not a wilting violet, either.
I can't pick it up. It's all I can do to scoot it 1/4th an inch at a time.

My mom has a Victrola as well, it works too. Hers looks more like this one:

Pretty cool because the cabinet acts like a sub box and lets the sound resonate louder when you open it up.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
That is pretty cool. I appreciate you sharing! I see people trying to sell victrolas like that from time to time and they always want $$$$.

This isn't a Victrola, though. It doesn't wind up, and that one set of doors is only about 7, 8 inches tall,maybe. I'm 5'8" and it only comes up about slightly less than midstomach.
If it wasn't so drat hard to move around, I'd stick my head in the back and look for clues, but really, it's been pretty low priority since i've had it. When I am in a time/place where I can see about restoring it/having it restored, then Ill look more into it.

I am really not joking about the weight. It's alot of effort to just scoot it around

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

peter gabriel posted:

Absolutely, it was a big thing amongst early adopters, my buddy had a good PC and it still took ages.
This was in the days of being able to sell and make a fortune on burning CDs full of poo poo for people.
There was a famous series of disks called 'blobbies' which were basically 10 3DFX games with the FMV ripped out, man the memories.

Yes! Blobbys, thought I misremembered as a kid.

Named after a giant pink twat.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

DarthBlingBling posted:

Yes! Blobbys, thought I misremembered as a kid.

Named after a giant pink twat.

Yup, I think the first one had that mr blobby song as background music on the menus.
We used to get them off this dodgy policeman who hung around the shop :psyduck:
Good times

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Mine were from a family friend in his attic. Had a big operation going on. Gave up his job to do it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

LifeSunDeath posted:

My mom has a Victrola as well, it works too. Hers looks more like this one:

Pretty cool because the cabinet acts like a sub box and lets the sound resonate louder when you open it up.

I'm curious if you could play a more modern record on one of those things.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

twistedmentat posted:

I'm curious if you could play a more modern record on one of those things.

Anything with a needle can play a record. You'd just have to affix a needle made of something that won't damage it. And with no preamp you wouldn't have anything to offset the riaa curve.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Johnny Aztec posted:

Yeah, my P166 at work couldn't really play an MP3 and do other useful things at the same time, but there were 486s lying around and I could dedicate one to running X11Amp, the Linux rip-off of WinAmp.

peter gabriel posted:

All I know about Blobby is when I search for commercial software on archive.org I often get Blobby discs matching.

This seems to be a picture of Blobby: https://archive.org/details/blobby49_cracked

I keep noticing stuff like https://archive.org/details/blobby11_cracked where they talk about needing to crack the disks. Did you need to use their menu application to be able to access the .zip files so that you couldn't just upload the .zip files to your local BBS or something? Goddamn pirates implementing their own copy protection :v:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Buttcoin purse posted:

Yeah, my P166 at work couldn't really play an MP3 and do other useful things at the same time, but there were 486s lying around and I could dedicate one to running X11Amp, the Linux rip-off of WinAmp.

All I know about Blobby is when I search for commercial software on archive.org I often get Blobby discs matching.

This seems to be a picture of Blobby: https://archive.org/details/blobby49_cracked

I keep noticing stuff like https://archive.org/details/blobby11_cracked where they talk about needing to crack the disks. Did you need to use their menu application to be able to access the .zip files so that you couldn't just upload the .zip files to your local BBS or something? Goddamn pirates implementing their own copy protection :v:

Those pirates put a lot of effort into making those stolen programs for you to just go and steal them.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
You don't know Mr Blobby? :confused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1pJ4dluj0U

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's an abandoned Mr Blobby theme park iirc.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Johnny Aztec posted:

I used to trade (really low quality!) wavs over IRC before mp3 existed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Barely related to CD chat, but I've grown to appreciate DIN and double-DIN car CD player designs that make straight swaps to newer and better audio systems much easier. DIN/Double-DIN systems feel like obsolete technology in the face of cars with tablets tacked onto dashboards.